How long does it take the body to fully recover?

Specific emotional or mental health problems, like anxiety, depression, insomnia, confidence etc. Along with bodily health, exercise, nutrition.

How long does it take the body to fully recover?

Postby nathan_ » 26 Oct 2011 00:23

Ive been looking all over the net and cant find an answer. Does anyone know?
Im wondering how long it takes after moderate/heavy abuse, for the liver/kidneys/skin to fully recover from the years of poison they have endured?
considering I am 23 fairly fit. 1 month, 2 months? more?
I dont want my liver to pack up, and my kidneys, heart attack, and give myself brain damage and ruin my skin for good, and then die a slow miserable painful lonely death. I dont want to fear these feelings anymore. Goodbye alcohol
nathan_

Last Drink Date: 28 May 2013

Re: How long does it take the body to fully recover?

Postby Winker » 26 Oct 2011 07:22

Hi Nathan
i spose its one of them how long is a piece of string ones isn't it? You do have youth on your side though.
ive heard 6 nonths for the liver- theres a biochemical marker cant remember what its called that can take that long to return to normal. I suppose it also depends on how much damage is already done though. I believe 'fatty liver' which has no symptoms can recover but cirrhosis doesnt although the progress can be slowed.
The liver being the toxin remover of the body i guess may take longest to heal? Ive heard it said we should avoid eating liver (unless its organic) because of the vast amounts of additives in animal feed but thats another track....
As far as skin goes i think you can see it looking better within days and weeks cant you?
Ive heard the emotional effects can take up to 2 years to resolve (eeek!)
If youre anything like me you want to be fit and well again tomorrow but Rome wasnt built in a day
Smokings the real baddie- 20 years before the risk of cancer reduces to that anything like that of a non smoker (although your cardiovascular syatem starts recovering very fast)
Might be worth having a chat with your GP and having some blood tests to put your mind at rest?
Winker

Last Drink Date: 19 Jul 2014

Postby nathan_ » 26 Oct 2011 08:32

oh yeah thats a point!! I need to book an appointment anyway, had tingling in my fingers and toes the other day, need another diabetes test. Can do it all in a bundle then. Cheers
I dont want my liver to pack up, and my kidneys, heart attack, and give myself brain damage and ruin my skin for good, and then die a slow miserable painful lonely death. I dont want to fear these feelings anymore. Goodbye alcohol
nathan_

Last Drink Date: 28 May 2013

Postby Grendelslip » 26 Oct 2011 09:26

Hi Nathan,

I too have looked for information on physical recovery rates without success. Alcohol can affect nearly all of the body. The liver bears the brunt of it, but is the organ which has the greatest ability to repair itself.

But, I would like to suggest that there is not much to be gained going down this path. It is certainly worth asking for urine/blood tests to see if any medical intervention is required. For instance, there are drugs which can assist liver function if required, although it's surprising how much abuse it can take before irreversible damage occurs - as long as you let it recover! It's also worth having the tests if it will put your mind at rest.

After being tested and told 'No permanent damage if you stop drinkink NOW' I asked myself the question 'Why do I want to know how long?' I am going down the AF for life route so the question becomes irrelevant to me. It will take as long as it takes.

If you are considering a period of AF, followed by a return to controlled drinking then I think you would be better off asking others in BE what they think a suitable AF period would be. Perhaps the Cutting Down thread could be of use. Just be wary of the empowerment trap i.e 'If it takes x days to repair the damage, then I can have y pints next Friday'. You know where that one goes, I'm sure.

Or is there some other reason e.g. how long before I can start training for a marathon? You could always ask your GP, but given your age and fitness then, unless you have some other medical problem, you'll probably get an automatic 'no probs - carry on' response [sorry doc].

One last thing: I saw the word 'diabetes' mentioned. I have Type 2 diabetes and have had a good deal of success in managing it. So, if the worst comes to the worst you can get advice here on that as well! Fountain of knowledge on all medical problems me, EXCEPT FRIGGING ALCOHOL PROBLEMS!!!!

Anyway, no answers but something to think about I hope.

Dave
Grendelslip

Postby Grendelslip » 26 Oct 2011 09:38

Hello, me again :roll:

There's a discussion on another forum on this subject at

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alc ... cally.html

There are some times given but it looks as if it's the 'how long is piece of string' thing

Dave
Grendelslip

Postby Jake. » 21 Nov 2012 14:47

2 years or never
Jake.

Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2012

Postby koalaBear » 23 Nov 2012 18:15

In terms of the liver specifically, the NHS website states ‘Fatty liver disease is reversible. If you stop drinking alcohol for two weeks, your liver should return to normal’ with Alcoholic Hepatitis is says ‘ usually reversible, although you may need to stop drinking alcohol for several months or years’. Cirrhosis is obviously not reversible and needs treatment.

Here is the link to the full article:

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Liver_dise ... ction.aspx

This is worth a look for anyone interested in the neurological side of things:

http://psychcentral.com/news/2006/12/20 ... n/491.html
You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space

Johnny Cash.
koalaBear

Last Drink Date: 07 Jul 2012

Postby jaxom5 » 29 Aug 2013 22:19

No problem Sunny. History is in the past and we move on. It bloody well works :D
"I will persist until I succeed. Always will I take another step. If that is of no avail I will take another, and yet another. .... I know that small attempts, repeated, will complete any undertaking." Og Mandino
jaxom5

Last Drink Date: 12 May 2013

Postby jaxom5 » 29 Aug 2013 22:31

No Sunny. I don't do aliases. When I have had to reregister I have always told a mod what is going on. I clown around but I never do that sock-puppet thing, if you know what I mean? I might get up peoples' noses but I am genuine. Of course, you only have my word for it. Right old mind fecker is it not!
"I will persist until I succeed. Always will I take another step. If that is of no avail I will take another, and yet another. .... I know that small attempts, repeated, will complete any undertaking." Og Mandino
jaxom5

Postby smudge » 29 Aug 2013 22:41

Based on the behaviour I suspect aiza is a spam bot, or it is a bot that gathers information for spam bots. It is unlikely to be human anyway. :)

Edit : The bot has picked another post at random and copied it. The original came from here :

http://www.brighteyecounselling.co.uk/alcoholic-forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=783&p=386367&hilit=grendel+apologised#p386367
Last edited by smudge on 29 Aug 2013 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
"I would rather be a non-drinker with the occasional desire to drink, than a drinker with the constant desire to quit."

“Learn from other’s mistakes, you won’t live long enough to make them all by yourself.”

I'm not a doctor!
smudge

Last Drink Date: 02 Apr 2010

Postby jaxom5 » 29 Aug 2013 22:49

Ooh. I got taken in then. How embraced arse am I! I thought I was savvy. Just goes to show. Wipes yet more egg off face. This is becomong a habit. :roll:
jaxom5

Postby jaxom5 » 29 Aug 2013 23:02

Um.. except looking back was that not a debate between me and Boris? A bit of a disagreement but Boris is deffo not a bot and I hold him in the highest regard. I do miss Mr Bike. We oten debated but it never turned into an argument. That is a person I respect.
jaxom5

Return to Physical and Mental Health