Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
JohnC
First Sober Date: 23 Jul 2016

Re: New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

Post by JohnC » 02 Jan 2019 20:51

Welcome TaneraMor, I'm no expert on this and I stand to be corrected but i think that serious liver problems and a whole range of other serious alcohol related problems can creep up on the regular long term drinker ( me included ) relatively symptomless, and the drinker can sometimes learn of problems when it's too late, at 35 years of drinking consistently maybe it's time to call it a day.

I also have had a drinking history spanning some 35 years ( I'm 61 yrs ) I've taken Omeprazole and Lansoprazole in my time all through drinking strong lager, acid reflux etc, I was a consistent drinker and a weekend binge drinker and now I'm a non drinker, there comes a time when enough's enough

Welcome to BE and best wishes.
The further away from the last drink we travel the easier it becomes

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats » 03 Jan 2019 00:45

Hearing your problems and taking omeprazol etc I wonder if you may have a problem with gall bladder. I had this when I was drinking heavily some years ago and my diet although reasonably healthy, also included some bad traits. Maybe worth checking out with gp. I eventually had gall bladder removed and not had the symptoms since. But it depends what other symptoms you’re going through.

TaneraMor

Post by TaneraMor » 03 Jan 2019 13:18

Thanks guys for your replies and appreciate the medical advice.

John C, I am only eight years younger than you but have never binge drinked in my life. It has been more moderate but consistent consumption. You are however absolutely correct about the long term risks of drinking and these risks are dose dependent and of course increase with age. I am not overweight, run 5k twice a week, cycle and have never smoked - all of these count in my favour but regardless do not in anyway exempt me from the risks caused by me relatively excessive alcohol consumption.

I have made an appointment to see my GP tomorrow and will let you know what she says.

Thanks also Spats, never had gall bladder issues before or any other for that matter but will see what the docs says.

Ruby&Tilly
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 03 Jan 2019 22:47

Hi tanera :\: welcome to BE. Although binge drinking is worse, regular heavy drinking can cause problems too, I'm not sure how many units are in the beer but there's about 5 units in the wine you're drinking, that alone would add up to approximately 35 units per week (government guidelines are 14 units for both men and women now).

Good luck with the doctor tomorrow, hope it goes well. ;)?

Ruby xx
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 03 Jan 2019 22:59

The beer's around another 3, so 56 units in total = 4 times the recommended maximum (although in fact there's no known safe amount of alcohol, it's all damaging). So over several decades, that's a lot of excess alcohol for the system to endure.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.
Completed 2018 challenge

TaneraMor

Post by TaneraMor » 05 Jan 2019 09:49

Hi Ruby&Tilly and Soberboots and thanks for your comments. Yep 50 units is an awful lot. I saw the doctor yesterday and she says because I have no red flag symptoms she feels I don’t merit further investigation such as endoscopy. She prescribe me 20mg omeprazole daily. Ironically since seeing my symptoms have vanished and I suspect these are paralysis down to anxiety i.e. worrying about having some malignancy in my digestive system.

I raised the subject of alcohol and she confirmed that this will cause gastritis and oesophagitis and she recommended that I go for a period of 14 days without alcohol. She asked if I outdo be able to do this and I confirmed I will ( I had to do the same 18 months ago when on a course of antibiotics).

So I will move away from here now but log onto one of the other threads to hopefully update you with how I am getting along with this challenge and how it makes me feel. Thanks again for all your kind responses. :\:

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 05 Jan 2019 12:20

TaneraMor wrote:
05 Jan 2019 09:49
Hi Ruby&Tilly and Soberboots and thanks for your comments. Yep 50 units is an awful lot. I saw the doctor yesterday and she says because I have no red flag symptoms she feels I don’t merit further investigation such as endoscopy. She prescribe me 20mg omeprazole daily. Ironically since seeing my symptoms have vanished and I suspect these are paralysis down to anxiety i.e. worrying about having some malignancy in my digestive system.

I raised the subject of alcohol and she confirmed that this will cause gastritis and oesophagitis and she recommended that I go for a period of 14 days without alcohol. She asked if I outdo be able to do this and I confirmed I will ( I had to do the same 18 months ago when on a course of antibiotics).

So I will move away from here now but log onto one of the other threads to hopefully update you with how I am getting along with this challenge and how it makes me feel. Thanks again for all your kind responses. :\:
I'm so glad there's nothing serious wrong. It's a bit of a wake up call though! It's often suggested that 100 days or 3 months is a good period for initial abstinence; it can seem too daunting for the deeply addicted, but for most it's long enough to really see some physical and psychological benefits without being too long to commit to. It gives you enough space and time to really reflect on your relationship with alcohol. Anyway whatever thread or threads you're on (I found it beneficial to be doing more than one challenge at a time) I look forward to seeing you around.
Completed 2018 challenge

Brian68

Post by Brian68 » 11 Jan 2019 08:28

Hi all,
I'm really looking for support to stop drinking. I'm on a slippery slope to becoming physically dependant on alcohol. I'm drinking a bottle of wine (sometimes) more 5 times a week. I now have cravings and panic if there is no alcohol in the house. I'm also having blackouts and it's becoming obvious to my husband that this is becoming a problem for me. Any suggestions of how to deal with the cravings and general advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

william48

Post by william48 » 11 Jan 2019 09:33

Hi,
I need to stop drinking. I have tried AA in the past but did not enjoy their 'Big Book' sessions.

I would like to stop alcohol completely within the next two weeks. I drink mainly whisky during evening solitary sessions as I watch TV. It has become a bad habit and is now longstanding. I feel the time to stop has become an urgent necessity.

Any help which members of this forum could give me would be appreciated.

william48

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 11 Jan 2019 09:49

Brian68 wrote:
11 Jan 2019 08:28
Hi all,
I'm really looking for support to stop drinking. I'm on a slippery slope to becoming physically dependant on alcohol. I'm drinking a bottle of wine (sometimes) more 5 times a week. I now have cravings and panic if there is no alcohol in the house. I'm also having blackouts and it's becoming obvious to my husband that this is becoming a problem for me. Any suggestions of how to deal with the cravings and general advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Hi,
I need to stop drinking. I have tried AA in the past but did not enjoy their 'Big Book' sessions.

I would like to stop alcohol completely within the next two weeks. I drink mainly whisky during evening solitary sessions as I watch TV. It has become a bad habit and is now longstanding. I feel the time to stop has become an urgent necessity.

Any help which members of this forum could give me would be appreciated.

william48
Welcome to you both. Very well done for taking the vital first step, which is reaching out for support (::) (::) (::)

I suggest reading back on this thread for tips, and also reading here viewtopic.php?t=787. It's a good idea to join one of the challenge threads - 7 days and 100 days are popular first choices. You can get to know people for support and motivation, and you'll think more clearly if you have a spell without alcohol.

I was a very heavy long term total addict, but I have now been sober for longer than I could ever have imagined. It IS possible to be free of the horrible stuff. The key lies not in your behaviour (simply not-drinking is hard to maintain) but in how you think about alcohol. A turning point for me was a self help programme called the Easy Way by Allen Carr, and I really recommend giving this a go. This online course is also well worth doing http://www.rational.org/index.php?id=36.

I wish I had kept a journal, so I suggest you do! The journey to getting sober is really exciting, it's certainly the best thing I've ever done. Look forward to seeing you around <:)>
Completed 2018 challenge

Brian68

Post by Brian68 » 11 Jan 2019 10:51

Thanks for the advice. I’ll get the Allen Carr now!! I’m willing to try anything. I work in alcohol recovery and although I have knowledge around the subject I’m feeling incredibly isolated as I have no one to turn to without exposing myself. I wanted to attend support meetings but they are all connected to work colleagues.

caroline95

Post by caroline95 » 11 Jan 2019 10:53

Welcome to the forum Brian and William.There's lots of advice, information and support available here, so have a read around and post wherever you feel suits you best.It's well worth exploring the Alcoholism and Recovery Articles/Self Help Resources sections linked at the top of the BE home page, I found them really useful.

Best of luck to you both.

william48

Post by william48 » 11 Jan 2019 13:31

Hi Sober Boots,

Can you please explain why 100 days is considered a good challenge?

william48

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 11 Jan 2019 14:00

william48 wrote:
11 Jan 2019 13:31
Hi Sober Boots,

william48
Any challenge is a good one if it gets you a period of sobriety, and it has to be said that others prefer different approaches: doing one day at a time (there's threads for daily logging), going for harm reduction (cutting down and mostly sober threads) or going straight for abstinence (do read the road to abstinence thread - you don't have to be signed up to permanent abstinence to use it, and it's full of insights).
I've often seen 100 days/3 months recommended as an intial period though (obviously not if it's too terrifying!). I think the idea is that it gives you a real chance to see some recovery, physically and mentally. You will likely notice some gains after just a few days, but after 3 months or so there's a big difference - it took that long for my sleep and intestines to settle down, for example. You alos get the chance to experience a bit of sober life, form new habits, and really reflect on what your relationship with alcohol is, and how you want it to be.
Completed 2018 challenge

Evadem
Last Drink Date: 06 Jan 2019

Post by Evadem » 11 Jan 2019 17:46

Hi all.

Signed up a few days ago but for some reason I've been very apprehensive about posting.

Finally admitted to myself that my drinking was a problem on 22nd December when I woke up with no memories of the night before, that just happened to be my works Christmas lunch followed by unlimited drinks.

Fast forward to today and I have had a meeting with my boss to inform me that there's been an official complaint against me and its looking likely that I could lose my job next week (there . I've had to visit the doctor due to the crippling anxiety and I've been given diazepam.

I've kind of expected something was coming and haven't slept or eaten at all well for weeks.

I've got a beautiful 3 year old son and partner that has put up with me for a long time but I really fear this would be the final straw. I'm feeling so ashamed.

I've not had a drink since Saturday night and it's been fine, but I fear the damage has already been done.

This is the lowest I've ever felt but it feels like it's just going to get worse.

Ruby&Tilly
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 11 Jan 2019 17:54

william48 wrote:
11 Jan 2019 13:31
Hi Sober Boots,

william48
Hi William :\: welcome to BE, when I joined BE I had no real direction, Sally recommended 100 days, so I thought I'd give it a go, I'm so glad I did as my attitude to alcohol has changed considerably during that time and, although I'm not totally abstinent, I've been sober for 271days since April last year. Good luck with your journey, post wherever you feel comfortable. ;)?

Ruby xx
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

essay

Post by essay » 11 Jan 2019 18:15

Evadem - welcome <:)>

You certainly are not alone, nor are you the first member to feel that horrible stomach clenching dread about what you have done or what is to come... But posting on here can be the first step in reducing the effect these things can have on you, because it shows that you want to change your behaviour.

Not drinking since Saturday is brilliant - so why not celebrate by jumping on one of the challenges boards? No judgement, no recriminations, just loads of support from fellow members who are on the same journey.

Hope to see you around

xx
I am not giving up alcohol - I am gaining a hangover free, guilt free lifestyle

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 11 Jan 2019 18:43

Evadem wrote:
11 Jan 2019 17:46
Hi all.

Signed up a few days ago but for some reason I've been very apprehensive about posting.

Finally admitted to myself that my drinking was a problem on 22nd December when I woke up with no memories of the night before, that just happened to be my works Christmas lunch followed by unlimited drinks.

Fast forward to today and I have had a meeting with my boss to inform me that there's been an official complaint against me and its looking likely that I could lose my job next week (there . I've had to visit the doctor due to the crippling anxiety and I've been given diazepam.

I've kind of expected something was coming and haven't slept or eaten at all well for weeks.

I've got a beautiful 3 year old son and partner that has put up with me for a long time but I really fear this would be the final straw. I'm feeling so ashamed.

I've not had a drink since Saturday night and it's been fine, but I fear the damage has already been done.

This is the lowest I've ever felt but it feels like it's just going to get worse.
Aww Eva <:)>
Are they the kind of employers who might be a bit understanding if you explained about the alcohol getting out of control that you've realised and you're going to get help to change?

I'm sorry you're feeling so awful. I often think that one of the greatest gifts of sobriety is not having to carry around all that shame and self-loathing, it's so miserable. You're doing amazingly well to have stayed sober, and diazepam's a good drug (only for the short term, mind) for anxiety and helps with alcohol withdrawal as well. Have you talked to your partner about what's going on? Enlisting their support could be a really wise move.

What's really important is your wellbeing, your relationship with your son and with your partner. If you work on your wellbeing, it's going to help you, your relationships, and your employment prospects. Do read back a bit on this thread as there's lots of tips and recommnded reading - I forgot to mention earlier Catherine Grey's excellent book the Unexpected Joy of Being Sober, which is cracking quit-lit and has lots of helpful tips.
Last edited by SoberBoots on 11 Jan 2019 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
Completed 2018 challenge

P--
Last Drink Date: 27 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 28 Dec 2018

Post by P-- » 11 Jan 2019 20:01

Welcome, Eva. I am sorry that you are going through such a hard time, but 1) Good for you for not drinking since Saturday; that is NOT a small accomplishment and 2) you've come to the right place. You will find friends here.

Be well,
P--

Evadem
Last Drink Date: 06 Jan 2019

Post by Evadem » 11 Jan 2019 20:49

Thanks for the responses and the welcome. Took me a few attempts at a first post, but glad I done it... My username might be a bit misleading. I'm a guy, reads backwards as "Me Dave".

First Friday night I can remember that I've not been drinking so I'm taking a small crumb of comfort in that.

Think I'll take the doctors advice and take a couple of the diazepam and get a good sleep tonight.