New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Re: New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Topcat »

Toby wrote:
30 Jul 2021 23:35
Sorry for rambling!
Please don't apologise Toby - ramble away.

Welcome to BE and well done on 5 days. The best thing to do is have a good read around the boards and see what's on offer. They are many and varied. Some are very light hearted and others are more intense. There's even a games thread if you find yourself with a bit of time to kill. The sobriety challenges are useful to work your way through, but do not suit everybody. It's up to you.

Shout out if you need any help. TC xx
#5 on the 2021 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Jj123

Post by Jj123 »

Hi Toby welcome to bright eye
Hope the detox goes well
Challenges great place to start and my favourite was the 100 day challenge
Different people seem to find their own favourite place but everyone very supportive and helpful
Welcome again
JJ
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
Dalai Lama

Toby

Post by Toby »

Thanks both, I start a daily therapy session on Monday, only on Zoom at the moment, but hopefully it will help me take my mind of drinking. Who knew two weeks of imposed unpaid leave could come in handy?

martha

Post by martha »

Welcome, Toby :\:
Waiting for bunnies to appear in the fields.

Smithster
Last Drink Date: 20 Sep 2020
First Sober Date: 21 Sep 2020

Post by Smithster »

Hi Toby, welcome. Sounds like you have been through the mill this year!

Hope to see you around the forums and popping into the various threads.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions, lots of people with lots of differing experiences will be able to help, you are not alone.

;)?

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots »

My partner has stood by me & we have got me onto a proper detox programme
Welcome Toby! That's two really positive things right there. This forum is great for information and support. I really like the Road to Abstinence thread for reflection and inspiration.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Rosie and Jim

Post by Rosie and Jim »

Hi im rosie i been drinking more last 6 weeks my children been took into fc as i had a fall throu drinking i tell my self every day i wont drink but come 5 pm i do any help or advice please

pickles

Post by pickles »

Hi Rosie, welcome to Bright Eye . Hopefully you will feel in the right place here . I’m sorry to read of your fall and your children in family care ( sorry couldn’t make out fc,so I’m guessing) . I hope things with your children will be sorted very soon and you will see them soon. I hope you will feel better .

It’s best to try to keep hydrated with water if possible. Distractions from alcohol and trying to read here when you are ready .

Do you have any hobbies ? In my early days of trying to stop drinking I did watch trash on the tv , tried to keep busy round the house ,and tried to eat something too . My early days it was always after 3 days I would start drinking again, then try to stop. The stop periods got longer with time .

Try not to watch the clock too much , get enough sleep when possible,as I say keep hydrated and eat . There are plenty of links on here , something about what to do instead of drinking . I’ll try to find it for you .

Welcome again :\:

pickles

Post by pickles »

Here it is, took me a while to find :

https://www.brighteyecounselling.co.uk/ ... ?f=1&t=149

It goes all the way back to the early days,but you can press on the numbers to be up to date, if you like.

Shaman

Post by Shaman »

Hi. I have been drinking heavily for around 30 years with breaks in between. The consumption is getting heavier over the years and so is the tolerance. I have decided to take around 5 weeks off and am currently 23 days dry. Once I make my mind up to do these detoxes, I find them quite easy. The problem is once you go back on the sauce. Would like to eventually abstain complete as I don't think moderation works for me.

DormantDragon86

Post by DormantDragon86 »

Good evening, my name is Matt and I am a problem drinker. I drink to escape pain of emotional abuse as a child by certain members of my family, but it does not work well, only temporarily. I binge every three or four days. I go through 11 cans of lager in a night and spend the next day ruminating over my sadness and bitterness. I am on day 3 again but this time I want to try and fight the temptation, even at this moment I am considering excuses and tactics to get away with drinking in the next day or two. I suffer from depression, anxiety disorder and BPD. Two weeks before covid arrived I resigned from my job, if I could read the future, of course, I would not of done this. My fiancee left me during covid, I lost my pet and my home too, I was homeless for three months. I have a home now, I am comfortable and safe but I am also lonely and I am still bitter of the events from last year. I want to become a normal human being somehow. Today I am just very tired and craving sugar sugar and more sugar.

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan »

Hello Matt Dragon and welcome to the forum :-)

That’s a tough year you’ve had, but it’s really good that you’ve been able to regain a safe and comfortable home life.

It’s amazing how toxic our self-talk becomes when we’re under the influence. Drink itself creates a lot of the sadness and cynicism, and then we drink even more to blot that out temporarily. A crazy cycle :?

Have you considered joining support meetings like SmartRecovery? Problem drinking and mood problems often go hand in hand, and you would probably meet other people with a similar dual diagnosis. Getting pointers from others in the same boat is a big help, and having a more constructive outlet to discuss your hopes and fears can be transformative.

Have a good look around the threads, and post wherever you feel comfortable. Good luck ;)?
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2021 Challenge

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots »

Welcome Shaman and Matt.

Welcome to the forum <:)>

We drink to excess for many "reasons" - but none of them are good ones. Alcohol makes us negative, irritable, lethargic, anxious, depressed and angry. If an enemy tried to force it on you you'd fight them! Starting to recognise this is the start of a recovery journey, and reaching out to others is a huge step. If you read around there is just so much information, reflection, and support on here. I myself was stuck for decades in a cycle of heavy drinking, binges, and attempts to stop - which sometimes I stuck to, but never for long. Joining here was hugely helpful, as was Allen Carr's EasyWay (a self help programme in book form, through workshops, or with therapists). I started on here with the challenges and just worked my way through them. Anyway, hopefully I'll get to know you better with time.

Georgiette

Post by Georgiette »

Hello! I’m back to the sober life, and happy to be here. I’m the kind of drinker who can go a long time without drinking, and then when I do I can typically be ok for quite awhile, until I have a really bad night. So last night I blacked out, and my partner had to fill in the (not great) blanks for me. I’m hoping to hear from people that have been sober for a long time, and especially people that love being sober.

Shaman

Post by Shaman »

Thanks Soberboots.

The material on this forum and generally online has been very helpful and I have been taking a lot in since starting the sobriety. My aim at the start was to take 5 weeks off and then get all my blood tests done to ensure nothing was seriously off. I am now considering continuing AF after this period. A bit anxious about how it will pan out. Don't thing the 3 or 4 alcohol free days work for me but there is ambivalance there.

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots »

Georgiette wrote:
09 Aug 2021 04:06
Hello! I’m back to the sober life, and happy to be here. I’m the kind of drinker who can go a long time without drinking, and then when I do I can typically be ok for quite awhile, until I have a really bad night. So last night I blacked out, and my partner had to fill in the (not great) blanks for me. I’m hoping to hear from people that have been sober for a long time, and especially people that love being sober.
Welcome Georgiette!

Well, I've been sober for over 4 years now (four and a quarter, I realise, looking at the date) and I really love it. I have to manage my regrets and guilt about the wasted years, missed opportunities, and damaged relationships, as I was a very heavy drinker who spiralled from social to heavy-social to full-on addict - a problem drinker for decades. This aspect has got easier with time, as I've made so very many positive changes in my life which I would never have been capable of sober. I finally have a sense of achievement, and these days I even quite like myself. I've come to see that alcohol is toxic and corrosive, even occasionally and even at low levels. Habitual drinking really stunts you as a human being - I never saw that, until I'd been sober for a long time. The best things about being sober? Increased happiness for sure, but more importantly massively increased resilience - I've had some tough times in those four years with some major traumatic bereavements but I've been able to deal with them instead of trying unsuccessfully to drown them.

Georgiette

Post by Georgiette »

Hi Soberboots! Thank you for responding to my message. It’s really great to hear from someone whose been sober for so long. I’m currently on day 2, and I feel relieved to be back at sobriety. I also still feel hungover and emotionally vulnerable. Tomorrow I should be ok. But I’m remembering how outside yourself alcohol makes you. How codependent. How unsure. I’ve been skating on thin ice for awhile now, nothing too horrible, but beginning to drink every weekend again, and to be ill each time, and then this past Saturday I blacked out. My partner (of a year) got me home, but not before I said some not great stuff and tried to get out of the car on the highway. Anyway, the message is clear. I can’t drink. It never works out. I’ve got the full support of my partner. He understands that my goal is not to try to be a responsible drinker, but to be sober. So that is very helpful. Right now I’m really looking forward to feeling better tomorrow, and to begin my sober life. This is no way to live, that’s for sure. I can’t believe I did this for years before.

-G

squirrel

Post by squirrel »

Welcome Toby, Shamen, Matt. Georgiette and all other new people. This place is a really helpful tool to support you all. Mostly I want to say well done for taking this first step. Be positive, don't be hard on yourselves and most of all keep going forward... \:)/

Roisin
Last Drink Date: 30 Dec 2019

Post by Roisin »

Hello all

Just joined and am saying hello.

Haven't had a drink for over a year but last night a neighbour who was very drunk and aggressive got right in my face and I feel a bit shook up and emotional. And it reminded me of times I've been like that when I drink. Don't want to get complacent. I was sober for 13 years and was going it alone but then started drinking again and it got very ugly after a while.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed by things that are going on in my life (seem to be going through a sod's law phase) so joined this site to be in touch with other people who understand. I don't feel like having a drink (or using anything else) but seeing my neighbour like that was a reminder and brought back some really bad memories.

I'm not used to posting on forums so hope this is in the right place. I pressed reply button on the last post so hope that's right!

Thanks

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

Hello Roisin and welcome to BE. Well done on remaining sober for over a year ;)?

Have a good look round the threads and post anywhere you want to. We are a friendly lot. TC <:)>
#5 on the 2021 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.