NOTICE BOARD

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
becstarr

Re: NOTICE BOARD

Post by becstarr »

Good decision Tobin & moderators

Bec x

Kitty
Last Drink Date: 01 Jan 2011

Post by Kitty »

Darcy has made Amber (who started the thread) aware of what has been done and also I believe told her that it can be reinstated at some point. Amber started the thread as a place for people to let off steam not as a launching pad for arguments that do none of us any good.
Kindness and support are the two things that I believe Bright Eye is about, I hope they can now be brought back to centre stage.

Kitty X
"Somebody once said we never know what is enough until we know what's more than enough" Billie Holiday

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi all,

For the record, I think it is a shame the Rant thread was deleted. I have not been on line for the last two days, and was not party to any discussions which may have taken place.

Mike

Lush

Post by Lush »

Darcy! :o <:)>

Susie
xx
"I love the English language, it has a certain je ne sais qoi".

hamster
Last Drink Date: 02 Nov 2010

Post by hamster »

Darcy wrote:God, I wish I was dead!

Darcy
Damned if you do and damned if you dont. You did good hun - you all did - bloody good decision. Majority decision is enough with the moddies - no one person need be consulted <:)> <:)> <:)> <:)>
AF2011 number 10

C F

Post by C F »

In the other mods defence, the rant thread was being taken over.
Last edited by C F on 16 Nov 2008 21:09, edited 1 time in total.

hamster
Last Drink Date: 02 Nov 2010

Post by hamster »

Hi Canary <:)>

You are right but in any event moderating is about a majority decision and even if Mike had disagreed the decision would have still gone forward.

Mike is niether in charge of or head of Moddies nor needs to be consulted on moderator decisions if he is not present.

I also believe that his post was an imature attempt to undermine. Moderators are a team with a difficult job to do - the least that can happen is that all memebers of that team are seen to support each other even if they disagree.

If mike had a problem with the decision it should have been aired on the moderator thread and not the open forum.

I hope he realises this and apologises appropriately.

Hammy
x
AF2011 number 10

Bupster

Post by Bupster »

In fairness I think the point of Mike's post was to demonstrate that the decision hadn't been taken unanimously among all the moderators as Darcy's post intimated. It was agreed however between those that were present, and it's had the desired effect, which is that the forum is a calmer place. Let's hope that continues.

Bupster x
Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along. George Herbert

C F

Post by C F »

This whole thing has been rumbling on for what seems forever. I think we all need to forget this and move on. This should be a place we can come and help and support each other, not argue and keep going over old ground. We're all here for the same reason and I, for one, have benefitted so greatly. The mods have a tedious task really and I bet the pay is crap too ;)

Please lets move on. Im drawing a line under this now Image ___________________________

S-J

Post by S-J »

I'd really like the arguments to end on Bright Eye.

My opinion is that the Moderators are held in contempt by certain people beause they are intelligent - not necessarily compassionate, understanding or diplomatic (alhough most of them certainly are); but good at winning arguments. I would like everyone to consider the fact that the moderators put aside a lot of their time to help complete strangers, I'm sure they've got better things to be doing with their free time - but they do it none the less.

I hope this forum can return to the way it was 6 weeks ago,

SJ <:)> <:)>
"The beauty of life is finding the balance between peace and passion."

Mike

Post by Mike »

From the Wikipedia entry for 'Internet Forum' :

"Flame wars
Main article: Flaming (Internet)
When a thread—or in some cases an entire forum—becomes unstable the result is usually uncontrolled spam in the form of one-line complaints, image macros or abuse of the report system. When the discussion becomes heated and sides do nothing more than complain and not accept each other's differences in point of view, the discussion degenerates into what is called a flame war. To flame someone means to go off-topic and attack the person rather than their opinion."

I don't generally like the idea of rushing off to dictionaries for definitions to try to understand exactly what we are dealing with but the above seems to me to be relevant. The piece concludes thus :

"Likely candidates for flame wars are usually religion and socio-political topics. Threads which degenerate to a level below the forum moderators are usually locked but when the problem is considered contagious they are deleted."

Let's all please make sure we aren't doing it again.

S-J

Post by S-J »

Sorry everyone,

I don't know where that weird rant came from (yes, I'd had a bottle of wine). Please ignore it, or indeed remove it; I've no idea what point I was trying to make.

btw my drinking isn't too bad at the moment (apart from last night :? ) - 5-htp seems to be reducing the cravings but when I have drunk I've felt really strange - almost disassociated - and my limbs have felt a bit numb the next morning. Does anyone know if this is a common side-effect?

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi S-J

That may have been weird but it wasn't a rant. I talk like that all the time. It's ranter banter.

Yes I feel slightly 'wooly' on 5-HTP. But it helps me to sleep and I think steadies my mood. It makes for calmer ranting.

Regards, Mike

Bupster

Post by Bupster »

Hi, S-J,

I don't think you're supposed to drink within six hours of taking 5-HTP - might that have something to do with your wooliness? I take a capsule in the morning and one at night, but miss out the latter if I'm going to have a drink. Mind you, I've been rattling with so many pills I'd have a job identifying which is having which effect :? .

Cheers,
Bupster
Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along. George Herbert

S-J

Post by S-J »

Bupster,

Thanks for the info - you know more about 5-HTP than Holland and Barrett customer services!!

p.s. what happened to your avatar? You only have a red cross now in place of the chicken :?:

Bupster

Post by Bupster »

I know! I noticed that this morning. I think its feathers must have been ruffled. I shall sort it forthwith. (note long word.)

Amber

Post by Amber »

I thought a few of you might need this
xxxxxxx
The strongest among the weak is the one who doesn't forget his weaknesses.
- Danish Proverb

Amber

Post by Amber »

And this......
xxxxx
- Danish Proverb

Amber

Post by Amber »

No Problems angel xxx <:)>
- Danish Proverb

Amber

Post by Amber »

Oh Happy day.. oh Happy day.... I was wondering when you were going to pipe up again Glenn, I have been missing the naughtiness on here :lol:
- Danish Proverb