KEEPING IN TOUCH ON THE FORUM

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Re: KEEPING IN TOUCH ON THE FORUM

Post by Trojan »

Great to hear from you Nicky, and congratulations on your 9 years <:)> \:)/
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2022 Challenge

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Lovely to hear from you, Nicky, and very well done on reaching nine years! (::) \:)/ <:)>
"There was a house we all had in common and it was called the past, even though we'd lived in different rooms."

221b for the 2022 Challenge, including Sundays.

tog
Last Drink Date: 09 Jan 2021

Post by tog »

Wow! What incredibly motivating and inspiring posts from shadowlad and Tony.

Congratulations both on your sobriety and thank you.

SueDenim
Last Drink Date: 28 Aug 2017
First Sober Date: 29 Aug 2017

Post by SueDenim »

It's great to see old friends again (hope this post isn't too late to the party for you all to see it), but I'd like to echo the thanks to everyone who helped me get through to the point where I could genuinely believe that my life is better without alcohol. Not just healthwise, but in every way.

To those starting out, and those who started a while ago but haven't yet found their own way through, I also say to 'hang on in there'. My only advice is to remember that what works for one won't necessarily work for all, and not to get too despondent if you decide to follow someone else's suggestions and they don't work for you. I found that reading about alcohol was wrong for me. I didn't care about the theory - I just wanted to stop drinking the stuff, and reading about others' boozy experiences just reminded me of it. I also swapped wine for the AF versions, and still drink them in the evenings, four and a half years later. Both of those things are counter to the heartfelt advice of other people, but they worked for me. My way's not right for everyone and their ways aren't wrong for everyone either, though.

The trouble is that we don't know what works for us until we find it. Frankly, the big driver for me was the certain knowledge that drinking was killing me, and that's one hell of an incentive to stop! I would also highly recommend not waiting until it's too late, though. Constant tests and hospital appointments are not fun, and whereas I am ok health wise just now, I live with the worry that that could easily change. If something doesn't work for you, don't give in - switch to a different way, and keep doing that until you no longer miss the booze - however much you might not believe it, that day will come.

All the best for 2022, and yes keep those shields well and truly up!
x

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Well said Sue. I always learn something about me when i read your posts.
Recovery is giving up one thing for everything. Addiction is giving up everything for one thing.

bumpydog

Post by bumpydog »

Some of you might remember I posted on the SOS thread a while ago, as I’d had a drink after being 9 years sober. I can confirm that it did not end well! By that evening the half bottle had gone and that was it. I bought more and within 48 hours was drinking as much as I had ever done when at my worst.
I have no idea what happened during the next 4 days. Nothing at all. A complete blackout.
The next thing I remember is being in the in car being taken to a detox and rehab place. I was shouting and screaming and generally being foul.
The speed with which the alcohol took me was truly terrifying and having not drunk for 9 years my body was not used to drinking a bottle of vodka a day. Losing 4 days is just the most horrible experience. I entered the rehab not being able to walk and literally had to crawl around for the first couple of days. It was grim.
I ended up staying for 6 weeks and got out a week ago. It’s been a valuable, if painful lesson for me. Once I’ve had that first drink it really is game over for me. I cannot stop.
Anyway I thought I would update you all and I’m pleased to say I am sober!

Bumps.
If you have one foot in the past and one foot in the future you end up weeing on today...focus on today!

Sheila
Last Drink Date: 17 Aug 2018

Post by Sheila »

Hi Bumpy, I remember you <:)>
It really is scary just how quickly we can fall back into our old ways. It's so good to hear you've come through it and out the other side <:)>
#4 on the 2021 Challenge
I will not drink again no matter what.

swordgirl.

Post by swordgirl. »

Hi Bumpy - what an awful experience for you <:)> thank you for coming back and telling us about the outcome from your situation. It’s just so horrendous that even after such long standing sobriety we can still be controlled by alcohol. I hope you’re feeling better now.

ScarletB

Post by ScarletB »

Yes, thank you Bumpy for posting. It is a good reality check for those of us who did not have to actually go through it. I’m so glad you are safe and sober. Please be so kind to yourself and know that alcohol can do that to any of us, and has for many of us. Keep posting and best wishes for continued recovery.

Vertical Man

Post by Vertical Man »

Hello Bumps.
Just wanted to send you hugs as well and also thank you for turning such a negative experience into something positive by using it to warn others about a sly and patient foe.
All the best.
Steve <:)>
“Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom”
Viktor E. Frankl.

Tai
Last Drink Date: 30 Oct 2010

Post by Tai »

It’s good to see you Bumpy <:)> and I’m so glad you made it back to rehab and recovery. Your experience is such a clear illustration for those of us who’ve crossed the line into addiction … no amount of sober time makes it safe for us to drink … weeks, months, years, decades … it makes no odds. Alcohol doesn’t change and neither does addiction. Onwards and upwards Bumps <:)>
A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more than much knowledge that is idle.
Khalil Gibran

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

A very brave post Bumps. Thank you for being so honest. So very glad you came through such a terrible experience. Respect and love to you <:)>
#5 on the 2022 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Bumpy! <:)> <:)> I'm so sorry that you went through what you did, but I'm very glad you made it to rehab and recovery again! Thanks being brave enough to share - your story is a stark warning to us all. As Tai says, neither alcohol nor addiction ever change.

I'm really glad you are well again ;)? <:)>
"There was a house we all had in common and it was called the past, even though we'd lived in different rooms."

221b for the 2022 Challenge, including Sundays.

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan »

Bumpy,
I’m sorry that you went through such a scary experience, but pleased that you got support to get back into recovery.

Sending you good wishes for renewed health and happiness, and thanks for making such a brave and important post. Take care <:)>
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2022 Challenge

bumpydog

Post by bumpydog »

Thanks everyone for your lovely posts.
The whole experience has definitely taught me a lesson. It all happened so quickly. Thankfully it was short lived and my husband was able to get me into a rehab (it was also a very expensive lesson!). Quite what would have happened if he hadn’t done that, doesn’t bear thinking about.
Doesn’t matter how long you have been sober, it will take you again in an instant.

Bumps x
If you have one foot in the past and one foot in the future you end up weeing on today...focus on today!

FuzzyDuck
Last Drink Date: 01 Oct 2013

Post by FuzzyDuck »

bumpydog wrote:
25 Jan 2022 21:21
Thanks everyone for your lovely posts.
The whole experience has definitely taught me a lesson. It all happened so quickly. Thankfully it was short lived and my husband was able to get me into a rehab (it was also a very expensive lesson!). Quite what would have happened if he hadn’t done that, doesn’t bear thinking about.
Doesn’t matter how long you have been sober, it will take you again in an instant.

Bumps x
Bumpy <:)>

I'm really sorry to hear this happened to you. I remember your journey and admire your wonderful tenacity. This must have been a frightening experience - I've read several stories where people are taken so unawares by drinking again after long sobriety but I don't belive it just negates all that sobriety and learning. I'm so pleased you're off on the road again. Absolutely agree that it never changes, it's a lifetime thing.

X Fuz <:)>
"Do not wait; the time will never be 'just right'. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." (used to be Bupster's sig - I have appropriated it)

FuzzyDuck
Last Drink Date: 01 Oct 2013

Post by FuzzyDuck »

Shadowlad wrote:
09 Nov 2021 16:38
Hello BE'ers :\:

Thought i would drop by to say hi and that all is well here and i am just getting on with life and have no desire to drink at all. Next month i will be 9 years sober and it has become so normal to be abstinent now, i have no wish whatsoever to drink again. The memories of my past life have not faded, and today i live a life with no chaos or alcohol related illness or injury. The early years were not easy and i would just like to say to anybody struggling to please hang in there because each day we get away from that last drink is another investment into the eventual freedom from alcohol thoughts and the dreadful obsession that tries to pull us back into the chaos. Its hard to believe that just one drink could take me back down the spiral into an alien lifestyle again. Thankfully i am all too aware that i cannot ever drink in safety, and i cherish the freedom that i fought so hard to reach. So again, to anybody who is struggling....keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep focused. It is so worth the initial struggle, and it is doable. Any of us can obtain lasting abstinence, we just have to believe in ourselves. Alcohol is just a liquid and is not bigger than us ;)?
A belated hoorah for your 9th anniversary Nicky <:)> you've always been a great support.
"Do not wait; the time will never be 'just right'. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." (used to be Bupster's sig - I have appropriated it)

swordgirl.

Post by swordgirl. »

Has anyone heard from Martha?

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD »

Bumps what an honest post. I am so pleased to hear you-all got it under control but it's frightening how quickly it can take over. Well done you. <:)> <:)>
be selfish in your sobriety.