Late lounge (& other non-UK locations...)

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Cowboy

Re: Late lounge (& other non-UK locations...)

Post by Cowboy »

Sorry to hear about your pup Missy. Hopefully she is feeling better.

After a solid week of springlike weather it snowed today. When you live in Canada this is expected. It always happens and we are making the best of it. Will probably slow the sap from running. I have a few trees tapped and like to boil down the sap to make maple syrup. We used to make quarts of the stuff when there were more trees available but now there are more property owners so we don't. We make a bit every year though just to keep the tradition up.

So it's been a longish day tapping trees and getting some chores around the shack on the cliff complete. It's so nice to a) have the energy to do all this stuff; and b) relax with a nice hot chocolate by the fire. Yeah sure I know some folks that would rather relax with an alcoholic beverage but the truth is - I can't. One will lead to two and two will lead to three and so on. It's OK though. I am clear in my head that drinking is not a good choice for me any more. Actually, to be more honest drinking is a very dangerous choice and always will be. So feet up, boots off, a nice fire going and like I said a big cup of hot chocolate. I know lots and lots of calories but we'll work on cutting out sweets a little more down the road. It's been done before very successfully.

Night all. Cowboy.
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain.

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

Good to hear you so positive CB ;)?

Covid restrictions starting to lift today. We can now mix outside in groups. I shall just have to think of another excuse to avoid meeting up with people I don't like then :lol:
coffee.jpg
coffee.jpg (63.29 KiB) Viewed 257 times
#5 on the 2021 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Absolutely love your description of your day, Cowboy! Sounds lovely ;)? (::)
Topcat wrote:
29 Mar 2021 08:40
I shall just have to think of another excuse to avoid meeting up with people I don't like then
:lol: (::)
"I once thought that growing up *meant* smoking and drinking. It looked so good, but I don't want to die from it."
~ Marianne Faithfull

221b for the 2021 Challenge

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Thanks TC and JJ.

Another great sober day spent with my eldest daughter and 4 year old grandson. I just feel so blessed to have the patience and the tolerance dealing with them both. You know a grown child doesn't act exactly like you want them to and why would they? They are adult and in charge of their own life just like we raised her to be. And a four year old boy? Well pretty sure I don't have to explain why you need patience and tolerance.

These are two qualities that I would never, ever have if I was drinking and/or hungover. Just so much to miss out on when your mind is constantly craving booze. Where to get it. When to get it. How much do I have left? How can I sneak a drink? Crazy shit. But that's behind me this night - right here, right now. I am spending the most valuable asset that we have while we are here - time - with people that I had a hand bringing into this world.

You can't get time back folks. But you sure can make the most of it when you can and that's exactly what I am doing with my sobriety. Truly tired in a good way and I get to do it all over again tomorrow. Doesn't get much better.

Good night roadies. Cowboy.
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Cowboy wrote:
30 Mar 2021 02:40
Just so much to miss out on when your mind is constantly craving booze. Where to get it. When to get it. How much do I have left? How can I sneak a drink? Crazy shit. But that's behind me this night - right here, right now. I am spending the most valuable asset that we have while we are here - time - with people that I had a hand bringing into this world.
That is SO true, Cowboy! Wasn't it awful to waste so much time looking over our shoulder, wondering when we could have the next drink, rather than enjoying the moment with the ones we love?

I'm really glad those days are behind us. Enjoy! ;)?
"I once thought that growing up *meant* smoking and drinking. It looked so good, but I don't want to die from it."
~ Marianne Faithfull

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Not gonna say I had a an easy day today. There were some very serious challenges today but I pushed through by running the tape forward and thinking how absolutely shitty it will be waking up tomorrow with yet another hangover. So I pushed through. Swatted those thoughts away like the bugs that they are and thought about waking up on Saturday feeling good. A nice early morning coffee. A nice breakfast and a nice day - all around.

I just wish those permission thoughts wouldn't come when I am feeling so good and so good about myself. It doesn't seem fair but it's my reality and I need to own up to it. Need to work harder on getting further and further away from drinking and spend less time thinking about drinking. I am feee of those chains ... it's about time I celebrated that!

Well the fire is dying down and it's time to get that bedroll out and settle down for the night.

Good night all. Cowboy.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Cowboy wrote:
03 Apr 2021 02:09
I just wish those permission thoughts wouldn't come when I am feeling so good and so good about myself. It doesn't seem fair but it's my reality and I need to own up to it. Need to work harder on getting further and further away from drinking and spend less time thinking about drinking. I am feee of those chains ... it's about time I celebrated that!
I think permission thoughts often arise precisely because we are feeling good, Cowboy. I guess it is because we are trained for most of our lives to associate booze with enjoyment, so when we're feeling great that's when the inner voice (or an evil bug on our shoulder) says, "Go on, enjoy yourself - you could feel even better with a beer!" But of course the voice never mentions the hangover and regret that follows...

Well done for swatting away the Booze Bug, and truly enjoy the rest of your weekend ;)?
~ Marianne Faithfull

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Thanks JJ. Yeah - it's so true. I believe for me there is some inner programming that needs to be done. I'm getting there but it's taking a long time and I am getting impatient with myself and that is not good either. I just need to realize deep down and once and for all that alcohol is not going to ever be a friend of mine - ever. Just not wired or programmed that way but I am evolving slowly but surely. It sure does feel good this morning though. Looking over my valley with a hot coffee and that feeling of anticipation of a good day.

Have a great day roadies.

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Making maple syrup with my grandson. The old fashioned way boiling over an open flame. Brought back old memories of my father-in-law and I hanging around the at night keeping the sap burning long into the night. With a beer in hand of course. It was good times and there were the usual permission thoughts but I passed on the beer and had a hot chocolate in my hand. I think my FIL would understand though. I mean I thought of him in a good way and I really didn't need to drink. That was just my permission voice inside my head. Thinking that somehow having a beer would make the experience better our honour him in some way. I was reminiscing and that was a good thing. Beer wasn't required.

Settling down with a nice fire and hot chocolate looking forward to another day with my grandson. It will be a good day starting with no hangover.

Have a good night loungers.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Sounds like a great night, Cowboy. Your grandson will be making memories he'll cherish for a lifetime! Happy Easter to you and yours! ;)?
~ Marianne Faithfull

Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Sounds lovely CB - glad things are going well ;)?

Happy Easter - bunny time....
choc bunnies.jpg
choc bunnies.jpg (51.16 KiB) Viewed 191 times

...and I just couldn't resist these two:-

cute bunnies.jpg
cute bunnies.jpg (24.59 KiB) Viewed 191 times
#5 on the 2021 Challenge

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Topcat wrote:
04 Apr 2021 10:05
...and I just couldn't resist these two:-
They really are beautiful, TC ;)?
~ Marianne Faithfull

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan »

Happy Easter to all the Loungers <:)> :D

Invisible Hug.png
Invisible Hug.png (80.37 KiB) Viewed 182 times
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2021 Challenge

Chirpy
Last Drink Date: 16 May 2020

Post by Chirpy »

happy easter late loungers who celebrate it... its all finished now down here. but it was nice, and it marks the end of daylight savings for us, so it has that nice autumn feel to the evening. not so fun with the 4 year old body clock adjustments, but her sleep is random anyway! looking forward to winter, if you can call it that where I am. I think I wore open toe shoes last winter unless it was raining!
We definitely needed the break here, the year looks a bit long ahead right now. But, it will go in a flash and it will be weird to see what's happening in the world this time next year.
She could never go back and make some of the details pretty. All she could do is move forward and make the whole beautiful- Terri St.Cloud

Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Nice to hear from you from down under Chirpy <:)>

Bank Holiday here today and, so far, looking dull/dreary and pretty chilly.
#5 on the 2021 Challenge

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Happy Easter, Chirpy and Trojan \:)/
Topcat wrote:
05 Apr 2021 07:06
Bank Holiday here today and, so far, looking dull/dreary and pretty chilly.
Fear not, TC. Yesterday in Scotland was like that but today is absolutely gorgeous! Was talking to my parents down south and it seems like England has been a day behind Scotland during the last week, in terms of the weather, so you should be in for better things tomorrow ;)?
~ Marianne Faithfull

Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Mark. wrote:
05 Apr 2021 08:54
so you should be in for better things tomorrow
;)? I'll look forward to that Mark ;)?
#5 on the 2021 Challenge

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan »

Snow showers on our morning walk :? :?

hotchocolate+mallows.jpg
hotchocolate+mallows.jpg (44.26 KiB) Viewed 157 times
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2021 Challenge

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

That hot chocolate looks good JJ. Especially after a day of rain. Just pure tired and looking forward to a night of real sleep - the kind you don't get when you go to bed drunk. And the mornings - there really is no comparison is there? I've been wobbling and floundering but I know my future has sobriety in it. Now to just take off them boots grab that hot chocolate and rest a spell in the cowhide beanbag chair. Have a good night loungers.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Cowboy wrote:
12 Apr 2021 00:22
Now to just take off them boots grab that hot chocolate and rest a spell in the cowhide beanbag chair. Have a good night loungers.
Sorry to hear you've been wobbling, Cowboy. I hope things are easier today. Was there any particular reason for the wobble? Wobbles feel crappy but they never feel worse than a hangover!

Keep strong, buddy ;)?
~ Marianne Faithfull