Late lounge (& other non-UK locations...)

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Jan

Re: Late lounge

Post by Jan »

Hi Guys,
BBC2 9.00pm
There is a drama on TV tonight called 'My Zinc Bed'. It is set in London and takes place over one hot summer and is essentially a series of long and intense conversations between businessman Victor, poet Paul and Victor's wife, Elsa. Paul is a recovering alcoholic who Victor takes under his wing, in spite of his contempt for AA which Paul credits for saving his life. Elsa also has an alcohol problem which she thinks she can control. Is AA a life saver ot an alarming cult seems to be the gist of the drama. Might it be worth staying up late for?

ps: Come back Duane, all is forgiven.

C F

Post by C F »

Hi Everyone

Not sure where to post this, but has anyone seen Mamma Mia. I mention it because it made me so happy and smiley when I went to see it and I didnt have a drink either :D

I was singing Abba songs for about a week after, much to the annoyance of my son :lol:

Its a ready made meal for me tonight. 6 minutes in the microwave...ping!

John
Last Drink Date: 01 Nov 2009

Post by John »

I'm having a prawn curry, mushroom rice, nan bread and guess what no beer, I feel really good at the moment but must watch out for euphoria, off to watch some footy so i miht be back later if not

Good night everyone and thanks for helping me out xx's and <:)> <:)> <:)> all round

John

chrissie

Post by chrissie »

Haven't seen Mama Mi yet but we have the soundtrack and its great. Want to see it when we get back to the UK. Signing off now, having an early night as been up since 5am as my son has been ill today. Took him to French doc who reckons it's an allergy - he had a rash all over which did calm down with the meds he gave us but has now come back up in time for bed. So could be another sleepless night!

Chrissie xx
one day at a time

queenie

Post by queenie »

chrissie - hope you have/had a reasonable night. rashes are scary.

darcy - i have a great recipe for burnt carrots or cajun carrots to give it its proper name. you put them on to boil, then wander off and start a DIY project...

jan - i saw the trailers for that. unfortunately the telly has been taken over by a footie freak. i hope its on the watch again thingy.

john - i guess you are another footie fiend!
how many therapists does it take to change a light bulb? only one, but the light bulb has to really want to change...

Bupster

Post by Bupster »

I'm drinking apple juice and ginger after turning down a glass of wine that was put right in front of me! Liked the smell of the wine but am enjoying the apple and ginger for the taste. Lurvely.
Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along. George Herbert

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Jan,

I've been watching the TV drama about whether AA is a life saver or an alarming cult. Whether you exchange one addiction for another by joining AA.

It is of course both those things. It cures otherwise incurable alcoholics, and is also cultic enmeshing you in its web for all eternity. If you leave you immediately drink again. You have no choice. A rapid return to the gutter is inevitable. You may believe yourself cured but you can never leave the fellowship. Someone should try to interest Dan Brown in this fiction.

Mike

Housemartin

Post by Housemartin »

:D Bupster - well done - I thought you'd gone a bit quiet cos things weren't going that well. Wrong again! Congrats
“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

Bupster

Post by Bupster »

Whoops, sorry :oops:
Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along. George Herbert

Mike

Post by Mike »

OK I didn't want to make it official but as no one else has suggested it :

One years sobriety at the late lounge = fireworks. (as has been demonstrated)
Two years sobriety = STRIPOGRAMS. (as has yet to be demonstrated, but that should not stop us from practising because a new member with 23 months sobriety might join any day)

There will be a competition for the best stripogram, and as there have been no volunteers for judge it will have to be me again worse luck.

THE MANAGEMENT

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Muriel

That line in the TV drama made an impact on me too. The fact is you are cured of desire for drink after a long period of abstinence. The program was a little disingenuous about the ease with which the reformed alcoholic was persuaded to drink, and for him to use the phrase "Just the one" as though he believed it were possible after all the AA brainwashing ! I know, he knew he was going to get pissed. Whatever, I didn't buy it at all.

I would like to add some personal experiences to illustrate why this was an unlikely scenario but they are too personal.

Love, Mike x

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Muriel

Why do you do this to me ? You know I can't let one of your questions go unanswered. From a Google search on Buddhist Philosophy :

This all leads us to conclude that 'suffering' has its origin in 'desire', which in its turn has its source in 'ignorance'. Too often however this is interpreted as "my suffering has its origin in my desire which in its turn finds its source in my ignorance".

You were correct this time. I still can't locate your Gnostic Gospel quote.

Love, Mike x

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi all

Off line for 48 hours. Disappearing to a location North of Watford for a medical board.

Back on line Saturday.

Love, Mike x

sue
Last Drink Date: 10 Jul 2011

Post by sue »

Been away on hols for a week and I get back to this thread to hear about the "management" talking about stripograms............... I'm totally shocked............. Bring back Duanne I say!! Such a calming influence on this thread :D
Sue x

Mike

Post by Mike »

Duane calming ? Charming I grant you.

But the joint needs livening up. Good to see you Sue. Are you here to audition for a stripogram ? I am a little overtired and I do have a headache right now, but feel free to get started. Just leave your kit on my trouser press in the corner. I'll mark you out of ten. I'll hold up one of those cards with the score on it. Would you care for something to wet your whistle ? You could whistle while you strip. The juke box is out of order, as is the proprietor.

sue

Post by sue »

Right Mike, the proprietor is well "out of order"!! And I thought this "joint" had become classy! "Kit on the trouser press", something to "wet your whistle"!! Ye gads where's Duanne? Maybe a male strip show would be more appropriate to tittilate (sp) the majority of females on here. You guys are in the minority so us females need a bit of fun :D

Mike

Post by Mike »

My dear Sue,

As you can see my trousers are already in the trouser press. That is why it is standing in the corner of the bar area. I was sitting here in a relaxed state until you walked in and I sprang to attention. Won't I do for you ?

The management.

sue

Post by sue »

Wonderful :D , Mike's the official stripper for the Late Lounge. Make sure you wear that sexy thong though, really suits you............. oh, and that hairy chest piece ;)
Sue xx

Jan

Post by Jan »

Hey Mike,
Its good to see that a whole year of sobriety has cured the brewer's droop!
Keep it up!

sue

Post by sue »

Hi Muriel, how are you? Hope you don't mind our light hearted banter. Its good to be silly sometimes. Hope you're OK <:)>
Sue xx