Just want to share.

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Mark.

Re: Just want to share.

Post by Mark. »

Excellent post, Cowboy ;)?
"I once thought that growing up *meant* smoking and drinking. It looked so good, but I don't want to die from it."
~ Marianne Faithfull

221b for the 2021 Challenge

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles »

I was reading this , this morning .. so thought I’d post it too .

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-56097028
' Normal ' is just a setting on the washing machine .

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

pickles wrote:
20 Feb 2021 11:02
I was reading this , this morning .. so thought I’d post it too .
This is a fascinating article about a complex subject. Thanks very much for sharing, Pickles ;)? <:)>

When my daughter first became ill a few years ago, her level of delusion required immediate intervention and, in the short-term, very strong medication helped.

However, because she was now under the care of mental health professionals, her condition was labelled a mental health issue and she would have remained on very strong medication for a condition she didn't actually have, had she not disagreed with her diagnosis.

It's a very long story but after a helluva lot of research and fighting the system, it transpired (and is now diagnosed by leading experts) that her breakdown was caused by stresses created by her true (and essentially physical) undiagnosed condition, which we now know to fall within Ehlers-Danlos Syndromes.

She had been labelled as bi-polar on the basis of one (admittedly extreme) episode. The fact that she didn't accept this diagnosis only further convinced her doctors that she was mentally ill, and, without the fight that ensued to find for herself the truth, she would have remained for life on what were essentially totally the wrong drugs for her, with all their debilitating side-effects.

What I mean is that, in the short-term, the meds she was given worked, but, in the long-term, they would have been entirely the wrong ones for her, prescribed as a result of misdiagnosis.

So, this article really touched a nerve with me because ever since our daughter has been treated for the symptoms/condition she really has, she has been so much more able, physically, and therefore so much happier and balanced, mentally.

However, I really want to stress that for others with a genuine diagnosis of bipolar, medication may well be necessary.

It would be nice, however, if non-drug interventions were also proven to be effective.

I hope my words come out as I intend. I am not a physician. I suppose all I mean is that different people become unwell from different things for different reasons, be they mental or physical or a mixture of both in origin and location, and it's nobody's fault.

The only important thing is to find the correct diagnosis and the correct forms of treatment.

Thanks again, Pickles <:)>
"I once thought that growing up *meant* smoking and drinking. It looked so good, but I don't want to die from it."
~ Marianne Faithfull

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles »

Thanks for the reply Mark . Yes, I thought to share it as I thought it related to my daughter in a way . Her way of coping is drawing but if she over does it ,she can have a sensory overload. This may sound silly and poor excuse to some but it can happen before she has to go back to school . So the couple of days building up to today , after half term , she panics , stresses and does these things that are related to the overload . Last week was a busy week for her being in the hospital school , new people , question questions.. so after each activity we either went to an art shop , so she could look around ( non essential shops are open where we are ) or went home so she could lie down .

This week is going to be a test as she has her 3x a week school and now the rota with the hospital. She is on strong medication too , we have also changed doctors over the years , her last psychiatrist she had been seeing since she was 4 years old .

3 years ago daughter was on some medication which at first started well , but then it didn’t, so the psychiatrist was uping the meds . We as parents didn’t relate this at first , but it was making her angrier and angrier... her last school didn’t know what to do and she kept being sent home . Long story , but she was hospitalised for 2 weeks .........with the psychiatrist putting her meds up even more !! OH said it wasn’t working , the medication was definitely something to do with it , ‘no, no , take more , take more ..’ was the answer we always got . In the end , the quick end , OH got so fed up with the psychiatrist that he lost his temper, ( he was also being interrupted a lot ) and walked out of the room .

We had asked this psychiatrist for more help , social contact wise , any groups , anything. They were always reluctant for some reason.

Anyway long time later we did find somewhere not far from us but we were put on a long waiting list . When they met daughter, they said they wished they had met her earlier . Well , *we* did try all these years . It’s only now through hoops we are finally getting somewhere . We just hope the day hospital ( we didn’t want her to be ‘locked up’ again ) will be able to help with her diagnosis as well . Hopefully, maybe with less medication too 🤞
' Normal ' is just a setting on the washing machine .

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

I could relate so much of that to my daughter's experiences, Pickles, especially with the meds being increased in spite of them clearly not working.

Sometimes it seems as though the professionals have such blind faith in their diagnoses and treatments that they won't change their minds for fear of being proven wrong!

We once attended a support group meeting for families of people in the care of our daughter's psychiatrist. If anyone asked anything remotely critical or questioning of her methods (not us, this was only just after our daughter became ill), she would turn her back, laugh, and ignore the question. It was as though she was a teacher and we were all naughty children! Such a remarkably peculiar person.

I am so glad you are beginning to get somewhere. I hope that your daughter settles into her new routine at school and hospital, and that it all goes really, really well for you all ;)? <:)>
~ Marianne Faithfull

free flow
Last Drink Date: 26 Feb 2019

Post by free flow »

Just ran across this article in the Globe & Mail. Interesting reading.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... ty-im-not/
The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you really are. - Carl Jung

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

Interesting read FF ;)?
#5 on the 2021 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

This is so tragic, and yet who of us hasn't placed ourselves in similar drunken danger? So sad for all concerned :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56250437
~ Marianne Faithfull

Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Very tragic indeed.
#5 on the 2021 Challenge

Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Bit of light relief. Had a good chuckle at this:-

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... uters.html

They give out some OTT excuses for late trains, but this beats all :lol:
#5 on the 2021 Challenge

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Topcat wrote:
04 Mar 2021 09:19
They give out some OTT excuses for late trains, but this beats all
Ha ha! Brilliant (::) :lol:
~ Marianne Faithfull

free flow

Post by free flow »

Excellent, TC, might I say you look positively majestic on the engine :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Thanks FF. Bit miffed that I didn't get a free ride though ;) :lol:
#5 on the 2021 Challenge

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

free flow wrote:
04 Mar 2021 14:36
Excellent, TC, might I say you look positively majestic on the engine
Topcat wrote:
04 Mar 2021 15:21
Thanks FF. Bit miffed that I didn't get a free ride though
:lol: :lol:
~ Marianne Faithfull

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD »

Might have been a free roast cat with the electrics.
be selfish in your sobriety.

Topcat

Post by Topcat »

DannyD wrote:
04 Mar 2021 15:39
Might have been a free roast cat with the electrics.
Yikes - good point Danny :o :lol:
#5 on the 2021 Challenge

Neal
Last Drink Date: 14 Feb 2021

Post by Neal »

6 weeks of sober.

Living a better life.

Neal

;)?
"...all that road going, and all the people dreaming in the immensity of it... and tonight the stars'll be out, and don't you know that God is Pooh Bear?"

Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Neal wrote:
28 Mar 2021 06:38
6 weeks of sober.

Living a better life.

Neal

;)?
Excellent Neal - Well done (::)
#5 on the 2021 Challenge

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD »

That is brilliant Neil. Well done.
be selfish in your sobriety.

free flow

Post by free flow »

Another article I found on the CBC website.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/women-al ... -1.5973004