Just want to share.

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Re: Just want to share.

Post by Topcat »

Carol Singers have arrived:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZG2tkeR4Ys
#5 on the 2021 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

free flow
Last Drink Date: 26 Feb 2019

Post by free flow »

;)? TC. All in good voice for the holidays, I see ()o

Just want to send out very Merry AF Christmas to all and hoping the New Year will bring better than the last \:)/ \:)/
The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you really are. - Carl Jung

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

That is just amazing, Pickles! I hadn't realised he had been sober for such a long time! It's really very inspirational, isn't it? ;)? \:)/
"I once thought that growing up *meant* smoking and drinking. It looked so good, but I don't want to die from it."
~ Marianne Faithfull

221b for the 2021 Challenge

Sandy
Last Drink Date: 21 Aug 2009

Post by Sandy »

Thanks for posting this Pickles -so true isn't it??

Missychief

Post by Missychief »

Just been thinking on the approaching new year......

2020 has been quite a year for me , work has been strange to say the least – I work in the leisure industry and am based in the glorious Cornish countryside which I love - I moved here for the moorland and the space.........

I’ve had a whappping and shocking kick up the backside re my drinking (but bloods and a scan on xmas eve no less :shock: are all good) 8 months sober . Been asked to sing with a local band when Covid allows and in the meantime I watch the rain fall, I walk my beautiful dog round the rain soaken lanes and feed the garden birds. For anyone struggling with this I know I don’t sound as though I have an exciting life (I don’t :roll: ) but believe me there is life out there………… still to live. And in these tough times for us all – please stay safe <:)> <:)>
It's not perfect - but it's mine....

Luckychap
Last Drink Date: 04 Feb 2019

Post by Luckychap »

Lovely post. Well done on the 8 months and on the clear results. ;)?

Missychief

Post by Missychief »

Thanks Luckychap - wishing you a good new year too :D

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

What a great post post Missychief. I just had to respond.

And your signature .... much of a Flaming Lips fan?
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain.

Missychief

Post by Missychief »

Hi Cowboy – think we may have chatted before, back in the day – think you’re a dog person too? Beautiful Border collies maybe?
And yes – regarding the sig that’s a band that may have quietly saved my life on more than one occasion.....

And Happy New Year to everyone \:)/ <:)>

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

I get it Missy. These guys saved my life back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoW_0NuaPj4
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain.

Missychief

Post by Missychief »

Thanks Cowboy - just for the reply, matters a lot sometimes.... :)

Have an older stepbrother who introduced me to The Who’s songs in the late seventies but this is a new one to me – listened to a podcast late into the other evening talking about music – this struck me – to quote someone else far more eloquent than me - music's the artform that gets to you - when things are tough, you don’t watch your favourite film ten times over or read your favourite book twelve times, but you could spend hours playing the songs that get you through…....

Missy x

Alizarin

Post by Alizarin »

I belong to a group that has an assignment to come up with a keyword for this year. I've been pondering this for 2 weeks now and had nothing. Aside from sober, there was no real keyword that I felt could apply to the whole year. After the full lockdown announcement tonight it dawned on me that I am not anxious, not upset, not depressed or any of feelings I had during both previous lockdowns. I had planned a year of being able to restore myself. A new lockdown does not changed that.

The dictionary describes it as:
VERB
bring back or re-establish (a previous right, practice, or situation).
return (someone or something) to a former condition, place, or position.
repair or renovate (a building, work of art, etc.) so as to return it to its original condition.
give (something stolen, taken away, or lost) back to the original owner or recipient.

This year I can:

- Restore sobriety
- Restore mental and physical health destroyed by drinking
- Restore relationships slipped through drinking
- Restore finances due to money saved on commuting and not drinking
- Restore the home also due to time and energy saved not drinking
- Restore positivity and motivation in my staff who are all front line NHS workers and very very tired.

The concept can be applied to massive projects or tiny tasks and can be carried throughout the year.

I found my word... Restore. \:)/
#16 on the 2021 Challenge
Sobriety is never owned. It's rented and the rent is due everyday.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Brilliant post, thanks, Ali - I love it! (::) \:)/ ;)?
"I once thought that growing up *meant* smoking and drinking. It looked so good, but I don't want to die from it."
~ Marianne Faithfull

221b for the 2021 Challenge

Luna_
Last Drink Date: 18 Apr 2019

Post by Luna_ »

Ali - I love this post too - and I am going to implement it myself. These are tremendous tools and aims ;)?

I was actually coming on here to witter a bit - but I think you said it more eloquently, Ali <:)>

I will say, though, that each year I - and now we - give the house (i.e. for us all) a christmas present. It can be small or big. It can be our time in spending a weekend clearing up the garage, or a food processer that also kneads dough (my kids love my bread but time is getting short for all that manual dough pounding). One year it was one of those huge round griddles our grandmothers used to bake flatbreads etc on. One year it was a lovely big teacup for mom (ie me) to drink tea out of (yeppp they know...). Well this year it was a Google Home speaker. I can tell it where I put my keys and it reminds me. I can tell it items for a shopping list then it sends the whole thing to my phone (not worked out where that goes yes so to my kids frustration I write the list with pen and paper and then tell Google... I know...). It can do a lot of stuff I don't know how to programm like turn on/off lights etc but hey - I'm not that much of a biddy - yet.

But what I do love is I can ask it to play music - without having to crawl around looking for CDs (no I never got around to MP3s or spotify). I do LOVE particular CDs and play exactly those, but sometimes the urge comes on - and I can just say Hey Google - play XXX and she does. (I hated that snobby english voice so daughter put an aussie one instead... sorry english friends but you know what I mean - electronic oxford english . shudder).

Anyway - I was cleaning up the kitchen (sigh, takes me 2 days after the onslaught of my kids - I have taken a pause re stuff - but I do go on strike on occasion and then they smarten up). This is not the point. I asked Google to play 70's stuff. 80's I love but a lot of my 80's was spent being a bit retro and listening to 70s stuff. Suddenly all these tracks popped up - the lates being Dust in the Wind by Kansas.

Oh it really made me look at my life. Remembering those teenage camping trips. We forgot to buy milk so we had cornflakes with beer. We played guitar under canvas in the pouring rain and sang and shared soggy sleeping bags - we weren't even thinking about sex (well not always...)-

Kansas - Dust in the Wind
Crosby Stills Nash and Young - Guinnevere - Our House etc.
Oh the list goes on...

But back to your wonderful post Ali.

It's about goals and making changes. And actually doing them.
Thanks for that post - and thanks kids for a walk down memory lane. Won't stop me listening to CDs but really great while making lunch-boxes. Hey Google . Play me the news. Or Hey Google where are my f*** car keys :lol:

<:)> <:)>

Edit - those were the days we earned money picking potatoes or doing odd jobs - so cash was severely limited. Beer obviously had priority over milk... Funny then but not really now. However, those years were not the ones that led to my decline, alcohol-wise. Or did they set the scene? Who knows...
I still have Faith, but right now I'm reaching for the moon.

Alizarin

Post by Alizarin »

Thank you Mark and Luna,

What a great idea Luna - a present for the house! I have been thinking about a "hey google" contraption. I use my "hey Siri" on my phone quite a bit but "hey google" is a whole different level! I'm sick of the depressing news on the radio that interrupts my music all the time.
#16 on the 2021 Challenge
Sobriety is never owned. It's rented and the rent is due everyday.

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel »

I bought my mother an Echo dot Alexa device, and set it up here, at home, to make sure I could do it quickly when I took it up there. Two months on and I have still not been able to visit, but I think I am going to have to buy her another (which could pose problems as only one account per app?) so much do I like it.

It will be touch and go whether she is able to use it, but if she can it could revolutionize things for her. She has to write everything down now as her memory is so very bad. But she forgets that she has written things down of course and forgets to look at her notebook... and loses it (and everything else) on a regular basis. I actually bought it for her as a way to control curtains (once we buy her the appropriate rail) but it could be useful even if we don't get round to that. I think she will like the wikipedia aspect of it too. She has lost the ability to use her iPad now, alas - I think she only managed to use it for about two years .

Just hope I manage to see her again in time... :shock:

I have to say, Luna, that all your gift to the house are the main types of things I buy me when I buy anything... ;) Apart from clearing out the garage. I don't do that. I need to do that (to the shed. Which is currently an island in a lake...)

p.s. Alexa flashes annoyingly when something is coming from amazon.
Rachel

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

I didn't know where to share this but this seems appropriate.

I'm changing. I'm not beating myself up anymore. I'm not projecting bad vibes. I am learning to love. Normally I would preface saying I'm learning to love by saying something like " not to sound corny" or " I'm getting in touch with my feminine side" but I won't do that any more. Hey I have feelings - all us men do. Why are we taught to suppress them at such an early age. I can say for me suppressing my feelings when I was child has come back to haunt me in so many ways as an adult. I'm positive that is what lead me to drinking to suppress my emotions. Well you know I got sober. Yeah I've hit some bumps in the road top abstinence but I'm OK with it. I'm human. I'm allowed to make mistakes and not beat myself up about it. I fight though. I fight the inner critic in my head. I reserve my anger for him. Cause he deserves it. But getting angry with other people? Judging other people? Putting other people's thoughts in my head. Whatever they are thinking is none of my business. And it's all happening because I am seeing alcohol for what it is. A drug. A drug that dulls the senses. A drug that changes my personality - drastically. I am getting there and I am feeling good about it.

I was going to apologize for the me, me post but I'm not. I can come here and speak my mind. I have important information to share. I am evolving and it feels good. A late bloomer for sure but that's fine by me.

SueDenim
Last Drink Date: 28 Aug 2017
First Sober Date: 29 Aug 2017

Post by SueDenim »

Late bloomers get the Indian summers, Cowboy 🤠.

It’s great to hear you sounding so positive. Inner critics deserve as much anger as we have to spare, so don’t worry about laying into yours, and remember to save some of that love for yourself.

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots »

What an awesome post Cowboy, made me feel really happy for you.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.