Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Positive Things I Notice/Achieve When Not Drinking

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
P--
Last Drink Date: 27 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 28 Dec 2018

Re: Positive Things I Notice/Achieve When Not Drinking

Post by P-- » 11 Jan 2019 15:32

I've been dreaming. No nightmares. No incessant hauntings. No ghosts. Just dreams. Some are fun. Some are interesting. Almost all leave me with a sense of well being when I wake in the morning. This was not something I expected when I stopped drinking. In fact, I expected the opposite. The improvement seems counter intuitive, particularly since one of the biggest motivations behind my drinking was the suppression of feelings, and it's something that I don't understand at all. Where did all of my ghosts go?

JohnC
First Sober Date: 23 Jul 2016

Post by JohnC » 18 Jan 2019 17:08

My moobs are shrinking, 🎉🎈🎁🎊💥🎶🎉 how I've hated having moobs all these years, I'm really happy.
The further away from the last drink we travel the easier it becomes

Luna_
Last Drink Date: 18 Apr 2019

Post by Luna_ » 23 Jan 2019 22:29

Hey John :-) Great!
Im still waiting for my errr little "curves" or "love handles"to start shrinking...
:lol:
I still have Faith, but right now I'm reaching for the moon.

Clyne

Post by Clyne » 31 Jan 2019 11:44

P-- wrote:
11 Jan 2019 15:32
I've been dreaming. No nightmares.
Noticed this as well. I've been having fewer and fewer nightmares. I guess I'm more and more at peace.

Cliffe
First Sober Date: 04 Feb 2019

Post by Cliffe » 13 Feb 2019 18:39

Yesterday, day 9, I typed a bit of a thought-ramble on another thread and was told it would look good on this thread. So here's the part about positive things I've noticed:

I feel good right now. Not 'pink cloud' (thankfully as that's a state to be wary of) but I'm the best version of me that I've been for a long time. I'm not sleeping well but I never did when I was boozing anyway. I can, however, see my sleep improving in the long-term now whereas I used to just accept it as one of the prices-worth-paying for drink.

Other than sleep, I'm healthier. I'm loving not having hangovers. I'm loving not needing to get up at 3am. I'm a better husband. I'm far less likely to say something hurtful, stupid and regretful. I'm not ashamed about sneaking more booze. I'm saving money. I'm more patient. I like the fact that I can drive after 6pm if I need/want to. I've laughed at minor things that would have had me swearing last month.

I'm thinking more clearly. I've also now (finally) accepted the 'slippers' stage of my life - that a bath with relaxing music followed by an early night with a good book is a positive way to spend an evening.
Every time I see him put the bottle to his mouth he don't suck out of it, it sucks out of him until he's shrunk so wrinkled and yellow even the dogs don't know him. - Ken Kesey.

*Felix*

Post by *Felix* » 14 Feb 2019 15:17

Cliffe I saw your post, well done to you - what a list of positives! I can relate to every single one of them. Day 8 here. When I look back on the mess I was this time last week...vomitting, couldn't make work, lying to my colleagues and family, vague and shameful memories of the night before, crying on the phone to AA, sitting shaking in in my first AA meeting and that was just one day. Sorry, this is supposed to be a thread that focuses on the 'positives' ! Sorry to hear you aren't sleeping. I'm the opposite - spent many years in the early hours awake and full of alcohol induced anxiety but I've been sleeping like a log. I hope good sleep comes to you soon.

I'm really loving being able to jump in the car whenever I feel like it, remembering who I spoke to the night before and what we spoke about, not having a hangover, watching comedians on YouTube, not hating myself. I know its very early days but I also feel a little tiny bit of self worth in myself for the first time in a very long time.

Ruby&Tilly
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 16 Feb 2019 03:12

Being able to drive to Tesco's at midnight when I run out of milk. ;)?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
352/12 days - sober/drinking (14 April 2018 - 13 April 2019)

Cliffe

Post by Cliffe » 17 Feb 2019 13:16

Thanks, Felix.

Here's another one: getting up early-ish on a Sunday morning without a hangover before having a morning out followed by an early cafe lunch with my wife. Then driving home before the car park, venue and cafe get too crowded.
Every time I see him put the bottle to his mouth he don't suck out of it, it sucks out of him until he's shrunk so wrinkled and yellow even the dogs don't know him. - Ken Kesey.

*Felix*

Post by *Felix* » 18 Feb 2019 07:29

Nice one Cliffe ;)?

Being productive again here. I''ve sorted out SO many things this weekend, things I've been avoiding and that have causing low level anxiety, bill's, debts, missing paperwork and so on. Feels good.

This weekend I also left my bank card at the shop and cut my finger badly making soup. Normally I would be drunk for both these things, and full of regret/self pity/ shame, but nope, stone cold sober, and that feels good too. I've not been out much, have done some gardening, spoke to both my neighbours and can remember what we spoke about instead of worrying if they noticed I was unsteady/ slurring my words etc. I won't be embarrassed if I bump into them again today.

Cliffe

Post by Cliffe » 18 Feb 2019 08:17

That's great, Felix.

Was it Fletcher in Porridge who spoke of the "little victories"?

I'm currently in a hotel for work. Another little victory is getting up without a hangover and being one of the first down to the self-service breakfast. Getting a window seat. Getting the pick of the food. Nice and quiet. No waiting or queuing (there's a pattern emerging here). Then time for a short walk in the fresh air around the grounds.

Winkler
Last Drink Date: 06 Apr 2019

Post by Winkler » 10 Mar 2019 09:15

House is relatively tidy and clean before I even get up
Skin is much less red (I have rosacea)
List of ‘to do’ things can be held in my head and i can juggle and choose, no anxiety!
Me and alcohol don't mix

AnnaL
First Sober Date: 0- 3-2019

Post by AnnaL » 24 Mar 2019 15:56

I can finally trust myself to be an editor again. Hard to catch errors when you're sipping vodka tonic at 10:30 in the morning.
I can have goals and dreams or I can drink.

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 24 Mar 2019 20:05

As a proofreader and copy-editor, this leapt out at me, Anna. I could really identify with it. Well done - you're doing really well ;)? <:)>
Each day was a day I’d worked hard to progress. If I had a bad day [and] I was feeling slightly depressed, I'd say to myself, “Well, I’ve no right to let the ‘me’ down who’s got me this far. So, snap out of it! Go and read a book."
Robin Knox-Johnston

AnnaL

Post by AnnaL » 25 Mar 2019 02:36

Jjjj of Old wrote:
24 Mar 2019 20:05
As a proofreader and copy-editor, this leapt out at me, Anna. I could really identify with it. Well done - you're doing really well ;)? <:)>
Thanks so much, Jjjj of Old. I appreciate the kind words and support.

DoneandDone
First Sober Date: 24 Oct 2017

Post by DoneandDone » 25 Mar 2019 12:57

This has always been a very nice thread to visit.

I am out past the one year mark now and rather impressed that real change continues. One to mention is that my room no longer looks like a laundromat exploded. Clean clothes are folded and put a way. Not piled on the bed. I hang things up when I take them off. Amazing.
It will always and forever be One Day At A Time

LuckyCat

Post by LuckyCat » 25 Mar 2019 14:08

DoneandDone wrote:
25 Mar 2019 12:57
One to mention is that my room no longer looks like a laundromat exploded. Clean clothes are folded and put a way. Not piled on the bed. I hang things up when I take them off. Amazing.
Whaaaaatttttt??????? I can only hope to aspire to this state of grace!

A.m: get out of bed, pick armfuls of clothes off floor and throw onto bed so I can walk to the door,
p.m. throw clothes off bed onto floor so I can get into bed

and repeat.
AF 17 days: 26/2/19 - 15/3/19

AF April \:)/ 9/30; 1/2 bottle of wine on 10th; back on it ;)?

DoneandDone
First Sober Date: 24 Oct 2017

Post by DoneandDone » 26 Mar 2019 06:03

Hi Lucky Cat,
One thing helped, I purged. A lot. Only have essentials.

814E2E11-2A75-4F9C-A7C5-EAAE4A776462.jpeg
814E2E11-2A75-4F9C-A7C5-EAAE4A776462.jpeg (50.74 KiB) Viewed 210 times
It will always and forever be One Day At A Time

Ruby&Tilly
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 26 Mar 2019 12:38

DoneandDone wrote:
25 Mar 2019 12:57
This has always been a very nice thread to visit.

I am out past the one year mark now and rather impressed that real change continues. One to mention is that my room no longer looks like a laundromat exploded. Clean clothes are folded and put a way. Not piled on the bed. I hang things up when I take them off. Amazing.
Congratulations done and done, that's fantastic. \:)/

I thought that's what dining tables are for. :oops:

Ruby XX
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
352/12 days - sober/drinking (14 April 2018 - 13 April 2019)

JK
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2019
First Sober Date: 14 Apr 2019

Post by JK » 01 Apr 2019 23:52

I have achieved meself a lovely avatar :D

AnnaL

Post by AnnaL » 02 Apr 2019 03:35

I just like and trust myself so much more.

Nothing is worth losing this.