Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Music, movies and tv

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Ruby&Tilly
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Re: Music, movies and tv

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 18 Jan 2019 00:23

Hi Sally, Prime has most films, but some you have to pay for over and above the prime membership, I don't know what sort of films you like but ones I've watched recently include The Cider House Rules and Dallas Buyers Club. Glad to hear you're having a good holiday, wish it were me. ;)?

Ruby xx
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
352/12 days - sober/drinking (14 April 2018 - 13 April 2019)

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 12 Feb 2019 18:01

I hope my beloved Annabel Croft won't mind, but there are certain nights when only Anna McGarrigle can own my heart :D

I can't believe it's already nine years since her sister Kate passed away :(

Such a great duo :D
Each day was a day I’d worked hard to progress. If I had a bad day [and] I was feeling slightly depressed, I'd say to myself, “Well, I’ve no right to let the ‘me’ down who’s got me this far. So, snap out of it! Go and read a book."
Robin Knox-Johnston

Naughty little newt
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2014

Post by Naughty little newt » 26 Feb 2019 15:16

Mark Hollis, thanks for some great songs <:)>
What a noisy place to belong.

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 26 Feb 2019 15:18

This has been sad news, Newt <:)> Perfect choice of song ;)?
Each day was a day I’d worked hard to progress. If I had a bad day [and] I was feeling slightly depressed, I'd say to myself, “Well, I’ve no right to let the ‘me’ down who’s got me this far. So, snap out of it! Go and read a book."
Robin Knox-Johnston

free flow
Last Drink Date: 26 Feb 2019

Post by free flow » 27 Feb 2019 05:19

Yes life has a habit of rearing it's head just when we least expect it :cry:

I have discovered a band that most of you would seem to be a natural - Barclay James Harvest

I am not sure how a band that makes just great music remains rather hidden over her,e \:)/

Probably shouldn't reflect on that , sigh (w)
The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you really are. - Carl Jung

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats » 28 Feb 2019 08:47

Barclay James harvest - what a blast from the past! Much underrated band (::) (::) (::)

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 28 Feb 2019 11:44

Yes, I was thinking the same as Spats - a great blast from the past! I must listen to them again :D Thanks, Free Flow (::)
Robin Knox-Johnston

Naughty little newt

Post by Naughty little newt » 01 Mar 2019 15:45

Pork
Last Drink Date: 05 May 2019

Post by Pork » 20 Mar 2019 20:01

Wizard 🧙‍♂️
Attachments
EACB2FAB-9CB3-46D5-8793-053ADF365208.jpeg
EACB2FAB-9CB3-46D5-8793-053ADF365208.jpeg (153.77 KiB) Viewed 304 times

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 25 Mar 2019 18:07

Much YouTubing this afternoon led me back to one of my three all-time favourite bands (the others being Pink Floyd and Salad, in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't...).

"Controlled violence" possibly isn't a phrase most would associate with British folk-rock, but how else could you describe this slab of sustained brilliance? Swarb on fiddle, Richard Thompson on lead guitar, with the ever-steady Simon Nicol, Dave Pegg and Dave Mattacks behind them.

I give you...

Sloth (pronounced Sloth ;) )
Robin Knox-Johnston

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 25 Mar 2019 18:12

And here, with a younger incarnation of the band, are Richard Thompson's fingers in action again. For my money, the greatest British electric guitarist ever :D (I should also mention the late, but very great, Martin Lamble on drums too.)
Robin Knox-Johnston

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles » 27 Mar 2019 15:23

I hadn't heard that before,newt . Quite good . Sorry Jjj ...I've never heard of the songs before .

I finally worked out how to use my mother's Internet whilst staying with her, it did make things a bit easier . Came across Riverdale on the long evenings and nights ( listening out for elderly companion ) ,it's absoloute tosh but watchable if you can't sleep.
' Normal ' is just a setting on the washing machine .

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 03 Apr 2019 16:58

I hadn't heard of Riverdale, Pickles. Are you still watching it? Sometimes, complete tosh is the best thing for a sleepless night ;)?

As a fan of both The Police and King Crimson, I've found this an exciting discovery... It won't be to everyone's taste, but then nothing ever is - thank goodness! :D
Andy Summers and Robert Fripp.jpg
Andy Summers and Robert Fripp.jpg (41.1 KiB) Viewed 224 times
Robin Knox-Johnston

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles » 04 Apr 2019 07:32

No, jj , I think I gave up on it in the first series , it was mainly as i found it on the wifi and that Luke Perry had just died . It was too OTT , for example someone would get beaten to a pulp and in the next scence they had a plaster on their hand ! You can't kill off the main characters I guess .

Whilst OH is away at the moment , I have watched a couple of documentaries , on an evening . Yesterday after daughter's activity I started to watch something on Brexit , and woke up round midnight when OH had tried to call !

Is all that instrumental on the video ?
' Normal ' is just a setting on the washing machine .

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 04 Apr 2019 08:11

Can't blame you for falling asleep during that, Pickles ;)

Yes, it's an instrumental album. I enjoyed it and will listen again. It's not as good (I think) as The Police nor as good as King Crimson, but an interesting collaboration :)

Afterwards, I watched this doc on The Police's 2007-8 reunion. It was good to see them getting along so well again (most of the time) :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JGE7q6j4drw
Robin Knox-Johnston

free flow

Post by free flow » 04 Apr 2019 08:22

Jjjj of Old wrote:
03 Apr 2019 16:58
As a fan of both The Police and King Crimson, I've found this an exciting discovery... It won't be to everyone's taste, but then nothing ever is - thank goodness! :D
Hi JJJJ, reminds me of my days of wearing a paisley shirt, bright green shiny vest with dark green corduroy hip huggers (w). Has a bit of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells to it.

Love the second comment - " The first time I played this record in 1983, I had my turntable set at 45 rpm, instead of 33 rpm... sounded just as good. "

It is interesting :roll: I think I'll be looking for more of their stuff.

Pickles, I can never find anything to keep me interested if I can't sleep so I usually put the Weather Network on......better than sleeping pills ()o

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 04 Apr 2019 08:30

free flow wrote:
04 Apr 2019 08:22
Hi JJJJ, reminds me of my days of wearing a paisley shirt, bright green shiny vest with dark green corduroy hip huggers
Sounds great, Free Flow (::)
free flow wrote:
Has a bit of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells to it.
Good point - that's another favourite ;)?
free flow wrote:
Love the second comment - " The first time I played this record in 1983, I had my turntable set at 45 rpm, instead of 33 rpm... sounded just as good. "
Ha ha, I liked that too :lol: I used to mess about with the speeds on my first record player too! It also had 16 rpm so you could slooooooooooow thiiiiiiiiiinnnnngs riiiiiiiiiiiggggghhht dooooooooowwwn. I remember trying Led Zep II at that speed. It was... interesting (w)

I'll look for more stuff too. I think there's another album by them called Bewitched. Will look it up later.
Robin Knox-Johnston

Naughty little newt

Post by Naughty little newt » 04 Apr 2019 08:40

Pickles wrote:I hadn't heard that before,newt . Quite good

Sorry Pickles, missed that earlier :oops:

They are from Antwerp and are one of my all time favourite bands, they have had about 8 albums out since that first single and I find everyone great ;)?

Well worth discovering :D

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 04 Apr 2019 08:45

Great stuff, Newt ;)?
Robin Knox-Johnston

free flow

Post by free flow » 04 Apr 2019 09:12

Reminds me of many Fridays when the only thing I wanted to do was get out of the office and hit the bar and everybody wanted a piece of me before I could get out. :x
Jjjj of Old wrote:
25 Mar 2019 18:07
I give you...

Sloth (pronounced Sloth ;) )

Covers quite the spectrum of music, JJJJ. Luvs it ;)?