Music, movies and tv

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Sleepyb

Re: Music, movies and tv

Post by Sleepyb »

Thanks ruby 😄 xx

na
Last Drink Date: 07 Sep 2018

Post by na »

Change is always possible - anytime, at any moment

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad »

Wow. A very powerful Netflix watch about addiction called 'Intervention'. Anyone else seen it ? Hard hitting indeed, tissues needed x
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Shadowlad wrote:
17 Oct 2019 21:20
Wow. A very powerful Netflix watch about addiction called 'Intervention'. Anyone else seen it ? Hard hitting indeed, tissues needed x
I have to apologise to you, Nicky - I saw this when you posted and have 'bookmarked' it as a one-to-watch. But I haven't yet. It sounds amazing <:)> x

In terms of TV, I've been watching the 1995 version of Pride & Prejudice for the first time. OMG! Aren't Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth just AMAZING?! :shock: :D I couldn't believe I'd missed this first time around (obviously I heard about Mr Darcy dripping wet after a swim in the lake - it's a famous scene. But couldn't it have been Elizabeth? :roll: ).

However, looking at the dates, I realise that it was first aired during my first term at university. The very start of my drinking troubles, weirdly :?

Anyway, I have one episode to go - looking forward to it. No spoilers, please (although, I imagine there's a certain marriage...)

Today I rearranged my CDs. It turns out that my dog loves the Who (she whirled like a dervish) but is less keen on Jethro Tull (she hid in the kitchen). I prefer the latter. Still, at least I i) now know where all my CDs are, and ii) know what to play if I want the dog to hide in the kitchen) :D
"There is no 'us' and 'them'; it's an illusion. We are all human beings, and we all have a responsibilty to support one another." Roger Waters

221b for the 2021 Challenge

Sleepyb

Post by Sleepyb »

Went to see Joker tonight. Blew me away!!! Has anyone else seen it?

Blifter

Post by Blifter »

I really liked ‘Joker’ too, Sleepy. I’m not sure if enjoyed is the right word :lol: - it is very dark at times.

It is a mesmerising performance by Phoenix though, i wouldn’t be surprised if he was up for the Oscar for it and wins.

Best, Blifter
It was one of those jolly, peaceful mornings that make a fellow wish he'd got a soul or something... - PG Wodehouse

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Sleepyb wrote:
02 Nov 2019 23:28
Went to see Joker tonight. Blew me away!!! Has anyone else seen it?
Blifter wrote:
06 Nov 2019 22:01
I really liked ‘Joker’ too, Sleepy. I’m not sure if enjoyed is the right word :lol: - it is very dark at times.

It is a mesmerising performance by Phoenix though, i wouldn’t be surprised if he was up for the Oscar for it and wins.

Best, Blifter
I have heard such good things about that film! I must see it :D

Eleventh of the Eleventh...

I was extremely lucky to know both my grandfathers. One fought in Burma, the other in north Africa. Neither spoke about their experiences at all, not until towards the very ends of their lives when it became quite obsessional for them. That was something, it seemed to us younger folk, to smile about - they both appeared to turn overnight into Uncle Albert from Only Fools & Horses, always wanting to speak about the war :lol:

Looking back, you realise that this was far less amusing: here were two men who had returned from war and didn't want to speak about it - men who had simply done their duty, come home, and who wanted now to enjoy The Peace: to have a family and build a future for them. But these were men who couldn't ever forget the war and who ultimately did want to pass on their stories.

My grandmothers were similar: one whose home was commandeered by the army when she was still a young child, and the other - the elder of them - who lost her first husband (father to her first child) long before she met my grandfather (a war-widower himself).

To them I dedicate this song: born of the children for whom they fought, and whom they hoped would never have to fight such another war..., because they were right: we shouldn't.
"There is no 'us' and 'them'; it's an illusion. We are all human beings, and we all have a responsibilty to support one another." Roger Waters

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan »

A very moving piece, JJ <:)>

I've been enjoying this song - lovely playing and harmonies :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpfJFotlENk
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2021 Challenge

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

I need help....I'm getting hooked on Judge Judy :oops:
#5 on the 2021 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Bluebottle
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Post by Bluebottle »

Topcat wrote:
28 Nov 2019 18:56
That sounds serious TC, my prescription is going for a hike in the hills and loud music, preferably thrash metal. :mrgreen:
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
352/12 days - sober/drinking (14 April 2018 - 13 April 2019)
307/59 days - 2019/2020

Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Ruby&Tilly wrote:
30 Nov 2019 02:27

That sounds serious TC, my prescription is going for a hike in the hills and loud music, preferably thrash metal. :mrgreen:
Cheers Ruby ;)? Grand hike this morning. I passed on the loud music though - much rather listen to the birds :D
#5 on the 2021 Challenge

Bluebottle
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Post by Bluebottle »

Glad you enjoyed it TC, I did too. ;)?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
352/12 days - sober/drinking (14 April 2018 - 13 April 2019)
307/59 days - 2019/2020

Blifter

Post by Blifter »

Topcat wrote:
28 Nov 2019 18:56
That probably needs its own thread, TC :lol:
It was one of those jolly, peaceful mornings that make a fellow wish he'd got a soul or something... - PG Wodehouse

Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Blifter wrote:
01 Dec 2019 09:37
That probably needs its own thread, TC
I know (w) Never watched it before and then I peeped.......I'm doomed, doomed I say :oops:
#5 on the 2021 Challenge

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

OMG!!! ...Or rather, ONJ!!!

I've loved the Gerry Rafferty original of this song since I was a kid. How did I never come across this version until now? :shock: :D

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles »

It must have been love, but it’s over now :cry:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-50730052#
' Normal ' is just a setting on the washing machine .

Iroquois

The Repair Shop??????

Post by Iroquois »

Hello!

Who can tell me about The Repair Shop?

I just got Netflix recently and have been bingeing a few shows. I absolutely love The Repair Shop and wonder if these people that bring in treasures have to pay for their restoration? Surely those talented repair experts have to make a living!?!?

I used to watch a similar show about restoring stuff in the US, and part of the show was where Rick Dale tried to estimate a fee that the owner could afford and still pay for all the repair, parts and etc.

You must tell me more about this show and the talented restorer's and if anyone has had anything restored there.

Deanna :D <:)> :?:
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.
Only sobriety will help you achieve these attributes.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Hi Deanna - sorry, I only just saw this post! I love The Repair Shop too - it's addictive viewing, isn't it? If I'm honest, I don't know enough to answer your questions, but I hope that someone else can! I think they're still making episodes - I hope so! It was quite a hit and was moved 'up' a channel in the UK from BBC2 to BBC1. In the meantime, these links might help...? ;)? <:)>

BBC Repair Shop page

The Repair Shop (Wikipedia)

Misheard Lyrics #94: I heard this on the radio the other day and it reminded me that as a child I thought the lines were:

"Don't be afraid, just knock on the door,
Well he just stood there mumblin' and fumblin'
Then a voice from the pub said.... (w) :lol:

Come to think of it, I also thought they were singing "He is a woman", not "Evil Woman" :?

That Jeff Lynne could've done with ELOcution lessons :D :D :D

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

A short musical interlude regarding the dangers of illicit drugs

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan »

From this week’s #WFH soundtrack…

Susanna Hoffs & Matthew Sweet - Different Drum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRO5ZZuJGYI
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2021 Challenge