Music, movies and tv

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Re: Music, movies and tv

Post by DannyD »

Just watched Easter Parade on catch up. It was on BBC over Easter. In it is one of my favourite dance numbers which I know from the show version of White Christmas. "I love a piano." I love that routine, such a simple pleasure to find it.
be selfish in your sobriety.

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

SueDenim wrote:
13 Apr 2021 01:21
I posted when the story started, and don’t get the impression that many on here watch the soaps, but I thought might be of interest to some
I remember when you first posted this Sue. Like Mark, I no longer follow Coronation Street, but I remember Peter from years ago when I did follow it and I also remember how well his drink problem was portrayed.
SueDenim wrote:
13 Apr 2021 01:21
I think it is probably a good thing that they haven’t gone the usual route of having someone with a fairly short-term drinking problem take ill, get an immediate transplant and be fighting fit in a week or two. This might persuade people to seek help before it is too late, and as he is a popular character it might remove some of the stigma surrounding drinking.
Totally agree with this. If a storyline like this helps one person to seek help before it's too late, then it's done a good job ;)?

Hi Danny \:)/
#5 on the 2021 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

pickles

Post by pickles »

I usually watch eastenders , but unfollowed it for a while as the storylines were getting ridiculous, or they shout at one another all the time , exaggerated eating habits , talking with food in their mouths , shouting at one another with food in their mouths . And a randy 60+ man getting it on with most of the women in the ‘square’ and people shouting “oi, OOIII” across the ‘square’ ( probably with food in their mouths)

But alcohol storylines there always weren’t believable, as the person went to get help , and as you say , were fighting fit two weeks later . Phil Mitchel was believable for a while , but they will never kill him off . These days he’s the gangster womaniser.
Lauren’s storyline was going somewhere, but then her character left . You saw Shirley with a problem a while ago but she still drinks , so doesn’t make it believable as she’s on the go and shouting . Linda was the latest one with an alcohol storyline but then she was better . I think it would be good if they did a meaty storyline on that , like they are doing in Coronation Street . I don’t watch it but someone put a snippet of the aa storyline with Peter Barlow ( a while ago ) with the grandmother ( maybe) saying that she needed a drink .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-b7MXuVvrWo

Found it ...

Emmerdale wasn’t it had an alcohol storyline for a while .

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

pickles wrote:
13 Apr 2021 09:07
they shout at one another all the time , exaggerated eating habits , talking with food in their mouths , shouting at one another with food in their mouths . And a randy 60+ man getting it on with most of the women in the ‘square’ and people shouting “oi, OOIII” across the ‘square’ ( probably with food in their mouths)
I used to like Eastenders too, Pickles, but that's the best description I've ever read of it (::) :lol:

I agree that it would be good if they could do a more realistic storyline. As TC said, if it helped even just one person, it would have done a good job ;)?

Years ago, I sat at a neighbouring table to Phil Mitchell (can't recall his real name) in an Indian restaurant in north London (probably Camden). One of the two men he was with was very drunk and kept telling 'Phil' how much he hated television. Strange evening :?
DannyD wrote:
13 Apr 2021 07:43
I love that routine, such a simple pleasure to find it.
Got to admit, I've never seen Easter Parade, D. I'll keep an eye out for it ;)?
"I once thought that growing up *meant* smoking and drinking. It looked so good, but I don't want to die from it."
~ Marianne Faithfull

221b for the 2021 Challenge

Topcat

Post by Topcat »

That clip is brilliant Pickles. Blanche was terrific as Deidre's embarrassing mother :lol:
pickles wrote:
13 Apr 2021 09:07
Emmerdale wasn’t it had an alcohol storyline for a while .
They've had a couple. A young girl and then the vicar's ex wife (Laurel).
#5 on the 2021 Challenge

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Topcat wrote:
13 Apr 2021 09:34
Blanche was terrific as Deidre's embarrassing mother
:lol: Yes, and I always felt they had a strong resemblence, TC. Blanche really looked like she was Deirdre's mum, didn't she? :)
"I once thought that growing up *meant* smoking and drinking. It looked so good, but I don't want to die from it."
~ Marianne Faithfull

Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Mark. wrote:
13 Apr 2021 09:36
Blanche really looked like she was Deirdre's mum, didn't she?
Yes she did Mark. Those were the days when soaps were amusing as well as dealing with more serious issues.
#5 on the 2021 Challenge

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Topcat wrote:
13 Apr 2021 09:38
Yes she did Mark. Those were the days when soaps were amusing as well as dealing with more serious matter.
There was a good balance of light and shade, wasn't there? ;)?
~ Marianne Faithfull

pickles

Post by pickles »

“How many of us out there, feel the pain of losing what was once there".

RIP to the beautiful man in the undone pink shirt :(

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Sad news, Pickles :(
~ Marianne Faithfull