Music, movies and tv

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
swordgirl.

Re: Music, movies and tv

Post by swordgirl. »

So last night I watched Die Hard. Yes it is a Christmas film and one that I thought I was very fond of. However I have realised perhaps I’ve always been drunk when I have watched it in the past as there were a number of scenes that I simply don’t remember :oops: :oops: :oops:

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD »

I've been watching A Very British Scandal. I'm two episodes in, and not sure I can be bothered with the last episode. They are both such unpleasant people. They deserved each other.
be selfish in your sobriety.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

DannyD wrote:
29 Dec 2021 09:52
I've been watching A Very British Scandal. I'm two episodes in, and not sure I can be bothered with the last episode. They are both such unpleasant people. They deserved each other.
I was wondering whether or not to watch this, thanks, D.

I recently watched and thoroughly enjoyed the previous A Very English Scandal about the Jeremy Thorpe affair. I'd known the bare bones of the case, but after watching the series (and continually googling to double-check the facts) I was left with a bruised jaw after it hit the floor so many times! What an absolutely outrageous story! :shock:

So, I'd recommend that (although, admittedly, nobody's particularly nice in that, either).

The Argylls never seemed very sympathetic in anything I've read so I'll probably try A Very British Scandal but not expect too much, thanks ;)?
"There was a house we all had in common and it was called the past, even though we'd lived in different rooms."

221b for the 2022 Challenge, including Sundays.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

DannyD wrote:
29 Dec 2021 09:52
They are both such unpleasant people.
*UPDATE*

Danny, my wife and I have just binge-watched it all. Didn't intend to but I have to admit I became engrossed.

I agree that the protagonists are all utterly grotty individuals and it's a very grubby story. Nevertheless, although I don't usually like sordid tales of unlikeable people, this somehow hooked me. Neither of the Argylls were remotely nice but I couldn't help sympathising with small aspects of their natures. Maybe sympathy is too strong a word. I was more impressed (often horrified) by how finely balanced they were as a couple: neither of them any better or worse than the other (although the duke probably comes off as the bigger rotter), and both of them damaged (and damaging) goods, but for different reasons.

It certainly wasn't a programme to warm one towards the upper classes, so cynical, so jaded.

All in all, I really shouldn't have enjoyed it but I really did. Must have been the writing and acting that swung it for me. Oh, and the Scottish scenery.
"There was a house we all had in common and it was called the past, even though we'd lived in different rooms."

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD »

The Scottish scenery and the castle exteriors were stunning. I must try for another Lochs and Glens holiday. It's a long thump up and back from the south coast, but the company (Lochs and Glens) does show you parts of Scotland with very little effort on my part.
be selfish in your sobriety.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

DannyD wrote:
31 Dec 2021 04:24
The Scottish scenery and the castle exteriors were stunning. I must try for another Lochs and Glens holiday. It's a long thump up and back from the south coast, but the company (Lochs and Glens) does show you parts of Scotland with very little effort on my part.
Yes, my parents enjoyed a tour with them and have booked another for this summer. It is a really good way of getting round the sights ;)?

tog
Last Drink Date: 09 Jan 2021

Post by tog »

Sad to wake up to the news that Ronnie Spector has passed.

The Ronettes must have recorded at least five of the greatest tracks ever written.

https://youtu.be/_3QA2ATgIb0

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

I saw this news earlier, Tog :( Sad news indeed. I just love The Ronettes too ;)?

tog

Post by tog »

Music is my passion. I'm a big fan of all the iconic 60s artists and bands: The Beatles, Dylan, Stones, Who, Kinks, Beach Boys, Velvet Underground etc and some of the second division stuff like: The Creation, Pretty Things, Small Faces and Them. I also love Garage Punk, Psychedelia, UK 70s punk, 60s-70s British Folk, Blues and early Country music. I'm currently discovering British Jazz from the 60s and 70s.

It is going to present a bit of a challenge though, as I normally listen to music in an inebriated state :cry:

I'm also a fan of cult British Horror films like The Wicker Man.

As far as TV goes, I love all the old ITC series like: The Prisoner, The Persuaders, Dept S and dark comedies like: League of Gentleman and Inside No. 9.

Looking forward to contributing to this thread.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Tog, I like pretty much all the names you mention ;)?

My wife and I recently caught up on Inside No. 9. Excellent stuff. Have you seen the episode, 'Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room' about the comedy duo, Cheese & Crackers? It has an alcohol-problem theme. I found it very funny and, ultimately, extremely moving :)
tog wrote:
15 Jan 2022 09:27
It is going to present a bit of a challenge though, as I normally listen to music in an inebriated state
I know what you mean. The association can be hard to break to begin with. However, I also think that our senses reawaken with our newly-won sobriety. You end up almost hearing things afresh again. It's like hearing everything for the first time or noticing things forgotten in the drunken fog. Enjoy! :D

tog

Post by tog »

Mark. wrote:
15 Jan 2022 11:56
I know what you mean. The association can be hard to break to begin with. However, I also think that our senses reawaken with our newly-won sobriety. You end up almost hearing things afresh again. It's like hearing everything for the first time or noticing things forgotten in the drunken fog. Enjoy! :D
Cheers, Mark. I did do a bit of listening at the weekend.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm really getting into British Jazz from the 60s and 70s. Not sure how many jazz fans we have on here, but I highly recommend this compilation album which is a good overview:

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Thanks, Tog. Got to admit, I'm not very well up on jazz at all. It's interesting that you mention this era, though. Last week, I watched a British film from about 1960, The Criminal (with a very young Kenneth Cope), and the soundtrack was by Johnny Dankworth and his band, with Cleo Laine singing the main song. It was good ;)?

tog

Post by tog »

Mark. wrote:
17 Jan 2022 07:28
Thanks, Tog. Got to admit, I'm not very well up on jazz at all. It's interesting that you mention this era, though. Last week, I watched a British film from about 1960, The Criminal (with a very young Kenneth Cope), and the soundtrack was by Johnny Dankworth and his band, with Cleo Laine singing the main song. It was good ;)?
I've not seen that film, Mark, but being a fan of British cinema in the 60s, I'll have to check it out. Dankworth wrote a lot of good soundtracks.

Have you see the film 'The Small World of Sammy Lee' with Anthony Newley? It's a very gritty film based around a small time criminal in 60s Soho. I highly recommend it. It also has a great soundtrack by Kenny Graham.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

tog wrote:
17 Jan 2022 09:13
Have you see the film 'The Small World of Sammy Lee' with Anthony Newley? It's a very gritty film based around a small time criminal in 60s Soho. I highly recommend it. It also has a great soundtrack by Kenny Graham.
Thanks, Tog. I hadn't heard of that so I'll look out for it ;)?

Vertical Man

Post by Vertical Man »

So sad to hear of Meatloaf’s death.

Soundtrack to a major part of my life.

RIP
“Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom”
Viktor E. Frankl.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Sad news indeed, Steve :(

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles »

It was sad to read of Meatloaf .

I just finished a film called The Lost Daughter. I started it last night but it was a bit of a slow burner . It has Olivia Colman and Ed Harries . I quite enjoyed it, and seeing Colman’s pain as a mother is very well acted .

Don’t want to give any spoilers away in case people want to see it .. on Netflix.

martha

Post by martha »

I saw that film, Pickles, and enjoyed it!
Waiting for bunnies to appear in the fields.

Newt

Post by Newt »

Tightrope, half of PIL plus Julie Campbell, nuff said ;)?
I was addicted to the hokey cokey until I turned myself around.

tog

Post by tog »

finally found the energy and incentive to set up my record player in the front room. it's been sitting in storage in my spare room for years. so great to start giving my old vinyl a spin again. it certainly beats streaming on spotify :D