Music, movies and tv

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
pickles

Re: Music, movies and tv

Post by pickles »

Awful , Jj .

Sean Connery has died :(

Edit: Sad as it is that he died , I only just read about him hitting his wife and what he said in the Barbara Walters interview. Cheating on his 2nd wife . Oh well , charm and looks :roll:

pickles

Post by pickles »

The Queen’s Gambit ..

You have to have a bit of a strong stomach as it’s a bit more than just chess .

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

pickles wrote:
01 Nov 2020 17:11
The Queen’s Gambit ..

You have to have a bit of a strong stomach as it’s a bit more than just chess .
That looks really good, thanks, Pickles. A friend mentioned it on FB earlier but seeing your post here made me look it up ;)?
"I once thought that growing up *meant* smoking and drinking. It looked so good, but I don't want to die from it."
~ Marianne Faithfull

221b for the 2021 Challenge

pickles

Post by pickles »

Have you seen it , Mark ?

Sadly the actor who was Darth Vader ( original) but not the voice, has died . Recognised him as the green cross code man too..

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc. ... s-55117704

Sandy
Last Drink Date: 21 Aug 2009

Post by Sandy »

Just saw that and thought of the green cross code man too pickles.

Am I imagining we have a national LOVE ACTUALLY day??

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

pickles wrote:
29 Nov 2020 09:14
Have you seen it , Mark ?
No, Pickles, but I would really like to ;)?

That's sad about Dave Prowse. I once had a (very tenuous) connection to him :(
Sandy wrote:
29 Nov 2020 09:48
Am I imagining we have a national LOVE ACTUALLY day??
I keep hearing this, Sandy! Is it true? :D
"I once thought that growing up *meant* smoking and drinking. It looked so good, but I don't want to die from it."
~ Marianne Faithfull

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel »

A long ago ex-flat mate's mother once dated David Prowse. That's my very tenuous connection.

I am watching something called The Magiciana on Netflic (I think...). A bit of fantasy pap but not particularly predictable so I am enjoying it.
Rachel

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

40 years since the world lost John Lennon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhfWiU8wGCc
#5 on the 2021 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

;)? <:)> I'd forgotten that this anniversary was coming up, TC.
~ Marianne Faithfull

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

"At the age of 37..."

I think that Marianne Faithfull gets better and better with every passing year. There's a maturity that resonates like wood that ages, like cellos and violins... Or like wine that matures... Or, well, like a person who has lived and tried to learn. God bless her, she's a survivor and a heroine of mine ;)?

As Tears Go By (1964)
The Ballad of Jucy Jordan
The Gypsy Queen
As Tears Go By (2018)
~ Marianne Faithfull

Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Oh wow. I so agree with you Mark. That voice says it all doesn't it.....It's all there.
#5 on the 2021 Challenge

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Topcat wrote:
11 Dec 2020 20:02
That voice says it all doesn't it.....It's all there.
Yes, indeed ;)?
~ Marianne Faithfull

Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Not officially until tomorrow, but this is one of my absolute favourites so I'm playing it now ;)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbBCCqPtEV8
#5 on the 2021 Challenge

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Topcat wrote:
20 Dec 2020 17:40
Not officially until tomorrow, but this is one of my absolute favourites so I'm playing it now ;)?
I never knew you were a Tull fan, TC! Great stuff! (::) (::)
~ Marianne Faithfull

Action

Post by Action »

Watched Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom on Netflix last night ... woah.
Heavy going! Anyone else seen it, what did you think?
#38 on 2021 Challenge
Take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet.

pickles

Post by pickles »

I haven’t seen it , Action but will take note . Quite a while ago we started watching Ratched , but only got to episode 2 . It was too gory for my liking. I think OH has seen the rest , but I’m not too bothered . The last one was the haunting of hill house which was rather eery.

Looks like there are a few Christmas films on if normal tv is rubbish.

Stewart46

Post by Stewart46 »

I really enjoyed the Queen's Gambit, infact I thought it was excellent.

Pink Panther
Last Drink Date: 19 Apr 2021

Post by Pink Panther »

‘Did you hear about the Morgans’ Hugh Grant film, one of his best yet so if anyone wants a bit of a laugh, give this a watch, three of us belly laughed in parts. \:)/
Love yourself and be proud of the steps you take to overcome addiction....peace is at the tip of our fingers <:)>

SueDenim
Last Drink Date: 28 Aug 2017
First Sober Date: 29 Aug 2017

Post by SueDenim »

Is anyone following the Peter Barlow storyline on Coronation Street?

Peter has been in the soap for many years and has been an alcoholic for some time, although he’s been dry for the past ages, after being told that another drink would kill him.

Anyway, his character has had a bit of a hard time lately, and he started drinking again over Christmas. He was hospitalised and told that his damaged liver could tip into failure if he doesn’t stop, and that if this happens he will need a transplant, which, so far, he has refused. He is, however, still drinking.

I will be interested to see how this plays out. I don’t think that soaps handle alcoholism very well, although they are good at dealing with other diseases and social issues. Phil in Eastenders was up and about in no time after his liver transplant, doesn’t appear to be on anti-rejection medication, and generally behaves like the ageing thug that he is. Linda has gone from being a falling down drunk to back to normal after a couple of AA meetings. Carla (Peter’s girlfriend) was drinking so heavily that she was sleeping rough just months ago, but is now recovered and able to have a social bottle of wine in the bistro with no obvious ill-effects.

I’m not sure that this helps, as the message seems to be that livers will always repair, and that it is never too late to stop drinking. Whilst that is in some ways a good message, I wonder if it might stop people from getting help (or helping others) if they think ‘I’m not as bad as him/her, and they were ok after a couple of weeks’ or ‘It will be ok - I’ll get a transplant and my life will be like I’d never had a drink problem - I’ll wait until I’m close to death before I stop’.

Do others have any thoughts on this? Should Corrie kill Peter off, or rescue him even though he was told years ago that another drink would kill him?

(I know it’s not real, and that it will all depend on the actor’s contract, but what do you think in principle?)

Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I don't watch Coronation Street anymore Sue, but it's an interesting point you make about the realism of soaps regards alcohol storylines.

The problem with soaps, from my viewpoint, is that the programme makers want the viewing figures and, therefore, the advertising revenue to go with it. The audience want the drama and a certain amount of escapism. It must be very difficult to maintain the realism whilst satisfying the need to escape and hold the audience's attention.

I do watch Emmerdale and it looks like an alcohol related storyline is beginning there too. Laurel (at the last scene I watched yesterday) arrived home with a shopping bag containing, what looks like, vodka (she is in recovery in the soap). In the current storyline, she recently chose to terminate a pregnancy. I could see where this was going some week's ago.

In the real world, an alcohol problem usually develops over many years. Soaps need to speed it all up and that makes it more interesting to the viewer, but also less realistic to those in the know. It must be very dificult to get the balance right. It must be a very difficult topic to write into a soap because of the very complex nature of it. Some do it quite well, but others can get it seriously wrong. One thing I do think is wrong, is just dishing out liver transplants like smarties and people miraculously being cured overnight. That just does not happen, but in soaps anything is possible ;)
#5 on the 2021 Challenge