Music, movies and tv

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
SueDenim
Last Drink Date: 28 Aug 2017
First Sober Date: 29 Aug 2017

Re: Music, movies and tv

Post by SueDenim »

Yes, the balance between keeping it interesting, not putting people off by the grimness of it and being 'real' is a difficult one.

I do think that soaps have a responsibility to be realistic about social issues, though. Usually they are - whether it's breast cancer, teenage pregnancy, child abuse, whatever, they do a lot of research and get it right, so I don't know what's different about alcoholism.

I don't know what will happen in the Peter story, so I'm not saying they will get it wrong, butI don't think I've ever seen it handled well (I watch Corrie regularly and Eastenders now and then). I agree that livers seem to be in greater supply in Soapland than they would be in the real world, and again, I think that could encourage people to think that however bad it gets they will be offered one, and then be skipping around within weeks. In fact, you need to have been alcohol free for 6 months (and be able to prove it) before you can go on the list, and if you do get one you will be on anti-rejection medication for the rest of your life.

Peter has been an alcoholic (goes to AA and has been hospitalised at least once before this relapse) for many years, so that bit has been done well. I had a google, and whilst I can't find any spoilers, I did read that the actor has done a lot of research into the role, and that he wants to do it well, and 'tell it how it is'.

We'll see.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

SueDenim wrote:
31 Jan 2021 01:07
I do think that soaps have a responsibility to be realistic about social issues, though. Usually they are - whether it's breast cancer, teenage pregnancy, child abuse, whatever, they do a lot of research and get it right, so I don't know what's different about alcoholism.
Sue, I agree with pretty much everything you and TC have said.

I haven't watched (or listened to) any soaps for a number of years but I think you are right that alcoholism is the one issue that is never handled entirely convincingly.

I wonder if this is because it's the hardest for a scriptwriter to imagine? Most people who haven't had (or haven't yet accepted they have) a problem with alcohol still drink, and most would never imagine wanting to quit, because drinking is the done thing in our society - for most people, booze is the great social lubricant and/or relaxant.

So, most people without experience of a problem view alcohol as essentially good and perhaps struggle to truly understand how and why others struggle with it? Maybe, however sympathetic they are (and however much research they do), it still confuses them a bit?

This differs to drug addiction, illness, abuse, etc., in that pretty much everyone can readily understand why these are bad, whether they have prior personal experience of these issues or not.

I suppose I'm trying to suggest that many writers might struggle to depict alcoholism because there is a deep-seated inner conflict: how can a good thing turn bad? It's difficult to really depict someone else having a bad time with a substance we find good. (Whereas most of us just know that taking heroin, say, isn't wise.)

It reminds me a bit of a friend/ex-boss who suggested I didn't have a problem but simply needed "to stop drinking so much." He'd seen my plight and was very sympathetic, but just could not understand that the solution wasn't as easy as that.

I'm thinking aloud, though, and it's still rather early, so I hope this makes some kind of sense!
"There was a house we all had in common and it was called the past, even though we'd lived in different rooms."

221b for the 2022 Challenge, including Sundays.

SueDenim
Last Drink Date: 28 Aug 2017
First Sober Date: 29 Aug 2017

Post by SueDenim »

You have a point, Mark.

It is difficult, even for those of us who have admitted that our drinking has got out of hand) to know when the tipping point was, so you're right - it must be difficult for a scriptwriter to imagine it.

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

Yes, good point Mark ;)? How can we expect scriptwriters to understand the problem when we don't really understand it ourselves?
#5 on the 2022 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Thanks, Sue and TC. I agree with what you both said - that often the issue is handled pretty well, up to a point. But often there is something lacking, isn't there?

I suppose what I was trying to say is that alcoholism is a strange issue in that most people don't see the root cause of the misery (alcohol) as intrinsically bad itself, and usually indulge in it themselves recreationally. I think this perhaps compromises some writers' ability to understand and accurately depict the problem.

And, as you both say, it's hard to understand if even people with a problem stuggle to understand how it really unfolded and took a grip.

But as you were also both saying, soaps do also have to churn out fast-paced and quickly-resolved storylines. Plus, there's the problem (as with Peter) of retaining actors/characters over very long periods of time and finding interesting things for them to endure. I mean, take Eastenders' Ian Beale - how many bad things can happen to one man in a single lifetime? If I had a pound for every bit of bad luck he's had since 1985, I'd have moved to the Maldives by now! (w)

Soaps can be great, but their success really relies on our ability to suspend our disbelief, doesn't it?
"There was a house we all had in common and it was called the past, even though we'd lived in different rooms."

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles »

Not sure if this could be here ,but he was on tv a lot in his last few months .

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bed ... s-55881753

RIP Captain Sir Tom Moore
RIP Captain Sir Tom Moore
709FCE80-6FC1-4689-8721-AC5178A84059.jpeg (100.47 KiB) Viewed 1918 times

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

Very sad :(
#5 on the 2022 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Yes, very sad news :(

pickles

Post by pickles »

Something a bit more cheerful, and hopefully soon .

Haircut 100
Haircut 100
IMG_4730.jpg (17.81 KiB) Viewed 1906 times

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

:lol: Pickles, I wish I had hair that colour!

...Hang on, actually, I just wish I had hair (w) :lol:

This is worth creating a BBC account to see: Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room by Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton (formerly of The League of Gentlemen). It's very, very funny but also profoundly moving, I thought. A sweet comedy with a bitter kick in the teeth towards the end from our old 'friend' alcohol. It is so well-written and performed, I think it's one of the best half hours of TV I've ever seen. Enjoy, if you are able to view it, and stick with it - it's one of those tales that gets better and better as it goes along ;)?

pickles

Post by pickles »

What a shame , Mark . I can’t get bbc iPlayer. I don’t think it will be on you tube either . Shame how some things have been taken down since the dreaded B word :roll:

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

pickles wrote:
13 Feb 2021 10:48
What a shame , Mark . I can’t get bbc iPlayer. I don’t think it will be on you tube either . Shame how some things have been taken down since the dreaded B word :roll:
Boo! That's a real shame, Pickles :( <:)>

pickles

Post by pickles »

Well at least there is you tube .

I remember seeing this in the news the following day . Such a terrible shame .

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-55848283

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LrhRlCf_NJM

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

I hadn't heard of them, but their story is very moving. What an awful tragedy. But thanks for sharing, Pickles - it was interesting to read.

I'll listen properly to the link when I get home (I'm at work at the moment) ;)?

pickles

Post by pickles »

It was a terrible thing wasn’t it , Jj .. I listened to a couple of their songs the other day whilst making a shepherds pie .

TV .... we have been recording The Serpent. The last one was on last night . I didn’t know it was a true story till something was mentioned online . I won’t go into too much detail , as I haven’t seen all of them yet ! But that Ajay ( I think that’s the name ) is very creepy .

I’ve also recorded Gold digger . Maybe we are a bit behind as it’s from 2019 , it was quite slow to begin with but now it’s getting interesting.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

pickles wrote:
15 Feb 2021 08:33
I didn’t know it was a true story till something was mentioned online .
I didn't know anything about this, Pickles, so I've just been reading about the series and the true story. It looks interesting! I'll look out for it. Thanks for the recommendation ;)?

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

It's a cold evening, so how about a cold song?

I think this is such a stunning version!

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel »

I am watching Can't Get You Out of my Head on iPlayer. (Which of course makes me veer between Kylie and ELO, musicwise.)

Engrossing and stimulating stuff (interesting soundtrack too: Benjamin Britten and This Mortal Coil feature a lot - same pieces though.)

I feel a little dissatisfied with it though as I don't entirely trust Adam Curtis and have no way of critically assessing what he is saying with any authority. I am sure the broad strokes are correct, but the subtleties and some of the associations...

Anyway, I would highly recommend it.

I have also been watching One Mississippi, primarily because I really like Tig Notaro.
Rachel

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD »

It's a Sin. I can't recommend this enough. Binge watch it in channel 4. Stunning acting, brilliant writing. Such an eye opener. I remember the fear of AIDS coming onto the scene in the early 1980s. I wasn't closely affected, but the treatment of those who were, was absolutely shocking; mostly governed by fear and distaste.
be selfish in your sobriety.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

DannyD wrote:
21 Feb 2021 12:11
It's a Sin. I can't recommend this enough. Binge watch it in channel 4. Stunning acting, brilliant writing. Such an eye opener. I remember the fear of AIDS coming onto the scene in the early 1980s. I wasn't closely affected, but the treatment of those who were, was absolutely shocking; mostly governed by fear and distaste.
So many people have been saying how good this is, D. I definitely want to catch up on it.