Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

I Will Not Drink Today Because..............

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Willy
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2012

Re: I Will Not Drink Today Because..............

Post by Willy » 13 Jul 2011 12:38

I did not yesterday and after a good night's rest, feel great now. No good reason to go back there today.

Ladysnoops
Last Drink Date: 08 Apr 2012

Post by Ladysnoops » 13 Jul 2011 14:15

Willy, Good to hear from you my fellow Virginian and Australian Shepherd lover!!

I will not drink today because I want to undo all the damage alcohol has done to my body, my mind and my marriage.
Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.

Willy

Post by Willy » 13 Jul 2011 14:45

Hey Linda, very pleased to know that you are doing well. I too want to put a stop to this and get on with living in a real world. I finished Mark Hamill's "A Drinking Life" last night. He stopped drinking when he decided to stop being a performer in life and to start living life.

Steve (and Willy too).

Jersey
Last Drink Date: 12 Jul 2011

Post by Jersey » 13 Jul 2011 15:58

Hi all,

I'm new here but taking what seemed to be a good sugggestion to start my day here.

I will not drink today because I have decided that this war I have been waging against myself is over.

I am looking forward to the day for the first time that I can remember and I will stand tall against any challenges I meet.

Best to all,
Jersey
One is one too many. One more is never enough.

chrissy 101
Last Drink Date: 22 Feb 2013

Post by chrissy 101 » 13 Jul 2011 21:56

I am sorry naomi about your news but you have done really well not to drink today (::)
Chrissy 101 - In many cases people forget our "episodes" quicker than we do...but maybe this is the kind of "final straw" thing for you, a kind of push for you to decide whether you cut down or abstain completely. (Sandy) 1st July 2011

roledog33
Last Drink Date: 12 Jun 2015

Post by roledog33 » 13 Jul 2011 22:43

there is no point in drinking....in my humble opinion.

roledog33
An alcoholic will always need a drink; a drunk will always have one.

Libelula
Last Drink Date: 30 Aug 2017

Post by Libelula » 14 Jul 2011 00:13

... my first thought about 7 minutes ago was "cool, it's after midnight, I can have a drink now with at least one full day chalked up again!" :shock: :?

No, no, no, no, no... Shut up, EAF.

Vive la revolution! Lib est pour la Liberation.

xx

PS - <:)> Naomi, don't know if you'll scroll back and read this, but very sorry to hear that you got laid off... Best wishes for a new start. x
I want to be the best possible mum to my son.

enoughisenough

Post by enoughisenough » 14 Jul 2011 07:08

Its day 5 and I am starting to get my PMA back- and I need to keep it so just for today no alcohol for me ;)?
Yesterday I was clever, I wanted to change the world. Today I am wiser and am changing myself ~ Rumi

Neal
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2019
First Sober Date: 01 Jan 2020

Post by Neal » 14 Jul 2011 07:53

...it has caused me (and, by virtue of regret and memory, it still causes me) too much stupid pain.

Neal

;)?
"...all that road going, and all the people dreaming in the immensity of it... and tonight the stars'll be out, and don't you know that God is Pooh Bear?"

badcompany
Last Drink Date: 10 Apr 2011

Post by badcompany » 14 Jul 2011 07:56

Dab :D

I can feel myself gradually growing up to become the person I should be in the few short months since I stopped drinking alcohol, so there's no way I will have a drink and set back my progress.

Have a good day everybody.

George

Post by George » 14 Jul 2011 09:39

.......BC, Dab, Neal et al aint boozin' so I'll stick to the old Earl Grey today :mrgreen:

Starting with coffee to wake me up though :oops: :oops: :oops:
“Now I’m sober and I realize, I didn’t drink to escape the world, I drank to escape myself”
― Phil Volatile, Crushed Black Velvet

wystan
Last Drink Date: 20 May 2012

Post by wystan » 14 Jul 2011 10:02

"The day of glory has arrived! / Against us tyranny's / Bloody flag is raised!" Bastille Day - Vive la revolution!
Michael

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." — Dr. Seuss

Last drink, 10 August.

Day
Last Drink Date: 19 Aug 2012

Post by Day » 14 Jul 2011 10:57

I am happy and peaceful. I'm not peaceful when I drink. Bastille Day, perfect day to take up knitting. If only the left arm would cooperate. Nah, I'm not sure I'm that peaceful yet!
Keeping on keeping off

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 14 Jul 2011 11:28

... It's Bastille Day, so - yes - let's celebrate breaking free from the tyrannous prison-fortress of addiction!

Sous les pavés, la théière! as the Situationists didn't quite say...

I've got a suit to wear and a jobs fair to attend, so definitely no drinking for me today.

Best wishes,
Mark
"Addiction doesn’t go away when we stop drinking." ~ Tai

Willy

Post by Willy » 14 Jul 2011 11:49

.....living sober is better, much better.

Welcome Jersey. I like your approach; focusing on what sobriety brings to life is much more effective for me than lamenting what I am giving up. Good to cross paths with you as well BE; a wonderful sober day to you

caroline95

Post by caroline95 » 14 Jul 2011 12:32

It's Bastille Day - 'good a reason as any not to drink to-day!

Ladysnoops
Last Drink Date: 08 Apr 2012

Post by Ladysnoops » 14 Jul 2011 15:07

Happy Bastille Day (is that the right phrase??) to those of you who celebrate it \:)/

I will not drink today because yesterday the EAF tried to get me but I kept flicking her off my shoulder. I hope she does not try and temp me today, but if she does, I am armed and dangerous!! :twisted:

Linda
Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.

Jersey

Post by Jersey » 14 Jul 2011 16:04

Good morning everyone! And it is a beautiful morning. For a change, I am not irratated by the robins singing at the tops of their little lungs. Not hiding from the clear skies and bright sun either. As a matter of fact, I am not suffering from my usual (overwhelming) feeling of wanting to hide at all today. I woke up this morning thinking of what I could do, not sweating the things I felt I had to run from. Funny thing is, I am far from a coward...gee ya think it was all the drinking? I had no idea it turned me into such a cowering wuss.

...And THAT is why I won't drink today. I am getting my mojo back!!!

Willy: thanks for the encouragement my fellow East coaster. It's time to find the joy in things again.

Mark & Naomi: Best of luck with finding a new job. I know it's a huge blow. I'm in the same boat.

Day: what's up with the arm? Is this a wierd withdrawl symptom I have to look forward to? I've had similar lately.

And, help me out here please. What's EAF and PMA???

Enjoy your day,
Jersey

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 14 Jul 2011 17:26

Thanks Jersey - nice to speak to you, and good luck with your own job-hunting!

The EAF is the Evil Alcohol Fairy, that wicked sprite who whispers in your ear to go and have a drink. Sometimes it helps to personalise our craving this way: if you think of that inner-desire for booze as coming from "someone else", it makes it that much easier to argue against.

Maybe it sounds mad - but it works! You can play all kinds of tricks on the EAF. My favourite, whenever she comes calling, is to tell her that yes, she can have a drink. But not right now - tell her it'll be in ten minutes' time, an hour, a week. Whatever time limit you set, "she" thinks she's won the argument and stops whining at you. It can honestly help you get through that next ten minutes, hour, week, or whatever. Then, when you reach the end of that time period, she'll either have fallen asleep, or you can just quieten her again with another promise of a drink in ten minutes, an hour, a week, or whatever...

I once told her she could next have a drink on my 100th birthday. She has no real sense of time, so it worked for a while. Not forever, unfortunately, so we had to return to the "ten minutes, hour, week" thing. But it was worth a try!

I couldn't see the reference to PMA - but maybe it should have been "PM", meaning Personal Message? As in: "Send me a PM if you find out that PMA stands for something else"!

Anyway, well done on getting your mojo back! (::) And enjoy those robins!

Speak soon,
Mark
"Addiction doesn’t go away when we stop drinking." ~ Tai

Jersey

Post by Jersey » 14 Jul 2011 18:30

That's excellent Mark. Thank you for that.

Cheers,
Jersey