Sports Desk

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Iroquois

Re: Sports Desk

Post by Iroquois »

Oh JJ,

I have to admit, I had drinkey thoughts right away on hearing this! But, I am drinking coffee instead and plan on doing some journaling and coloring right away! I should turn off the TV, but I just can't, I have to mourn this with the rest of the sports fans out there.

Thank you for posting, in the US right now, everything is so dismal and this is such a tragedy. I send my condolences to his wife and other three daughters. Such grief!
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.
Only sobriety will help you achieve these attributes.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Well done for staying sober, Deanna. Drinking could not have helped the situation, tragic as it is <:)> <:)>
"There was a house we all had in common and it was called the past, even though we'd lived in different rooms."

221b for the 2022 Challenge, including Sundays.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Yay! ...as I always say when Cambridge beat 'that lot' from the 'other place' (Oxford in this case, not Hull); although perhaps my allegiance is slightly spurious in that I 'only' grew up there, rather than went to the university.

The nice thing about this year's race, though, was the change of venue from the Thames to the Ouse. A Cambridge friend who now lives in Ely has spent the last week walking her young son down to the river to watch all the teams practise, which she and he really enjoyed :)

Maybe next year, just to even things up, the race could held nearer Oxford?

Boat Race News (for those interested...)
"There was a house we all had in common and it was called the past, even though we'd lived in different rooms."

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles »

I didn’t see the boat race , Mark , but was glad Cambridge won . My mother had watched it and was hoping Oxford would win , as she used to live there a long time ago .

:lol: to the Blackadder clip .

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Thanks, Pickles ;)?
pickles wrote:
05 Apr 2021 15:32
My mother had watched it and was hoping Oxford would win , as she used to live there a long time ago .
That's a good reason for your mother to support them! :)

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Nuff said ()o

\:)/ (::) \:)/ (::) \:)/ (::) \:)/

skysports-peterborough-united_5362882.jpg
skysports-peterborough-united_5362882.jpg (92.87 KiB) Viewed 1663 times

TrueState

Post by TrueState »

It's such a good feeling isn't?
Not that I would know when it comes to my local team doesn't look like they will be shifting anytime soon. I support a premier league team as well so in the past have got my moments of being buoyed by success from them
It was also amazing when my local rugby team was promoted to the premiership.

Such a shame though the fans weren't there to share the joy....the stadium would have been ocking! (::)

TrueState

Post by TrueState »

thats rocking but maybe ocking too whatever that is :lol:
Always loads of typos when I use my mobile!

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

TrueState wrote:
02 May 2021 18:56
It was also amazing when my local rugby team was promoted to the premiership.

Such a shame though the fans weren't there to share the joy....
It's great to enjoy some success, isn't it, TS? :D My beloved Peterborough did it the (typically) hard way: coming from 0-3 down at half time to finish 3-3 and ensure promotion. Every year they put me through the grinder every weekend. Nothing is ever easy for a Posh fan :lol:

And yes, it's a shame the fans couldn't be there - but there is always next season to look foward to!

Very best wishes to all your teams! \:)/ ;)?

PS. Just crossing! Ocking or rocking, it's all good! :lol:

Vertical Man

Post by Vertical Man »

Liverpool FC - incredible win today 👏
So chuffed for Alisson 👍
“Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom”
Viktor E. Frankl.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Incredible, Steve! (::) You'll be desperate now for Leicester to beat Chelsea again! Strange season for Liverpool but it's finally coming together at the right time, and it's certainly going to be an exciting finish ;)?

TrueState

Post by TrueState »

Vertical Man wrote:
16 May 2021 19:16
Liverpool FC - incredible win today 👏
So chuffed for Alisson 👍
Sorry Vertical Man as a Man U fan I can't quite bring myself to congratulate you :lol:

Just watched my rugby team play an incredibly eventful game....10 disallowed trys . 63 points wiped out for us. Lovely to see some of our fans in the stadium just wish I had been there!

TrueState

Post by TrueState »

Good start for England. I've been a bit sceptical about some of his final 26 choices Henderson comes screaming to mind. I was also a bit sceptical about his starting 11. But we got the win and even looked quite good at times so job done. On paper that was our toughest game in the group.in reality methinks it will be Scotland.......so happy to have a Summer of sport ahead not just football Wimbledon Olympics Rugby and F1. Perfect. All of course huge triggers however I shall persevere

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

TrueState wrote:
13 Jun 2021 20:11
On paper that was our toughest game in the group.in reality methinks it will be Scotland.......
Agree ;)? Yesterday was great but I think Scotland will be enormously hungry to beat us.

I'll be watching some of it at work (in Scotland). I'm half dead excited and half terrified, ha ha! My lovely colleagues really did not like England's win against Croatia (w) :lol:
TrueState wrote:
13 Jun 2021 20:11
so happy to have a Summer of sport ahead not just football Wimbledon Olympics Rugby and F1. Perfect. All of course huge triggers however I shall persevere
Me too. How odd it is that as children we would watch sport on TV, then rush outside to try and emulate our heroes, but as adults we associate watching highly-trained athletes with drinking booze.

I'm not suggesting we should run out into the streets, chuck our jumpers down for goalposts, and have a kickabout, but watching the best should inspire us to look after our own health a bit more, shouldn't it? ;)?

TrueState

Post by TrueState »

Mark. wrote:
14 Jun 2021 10:22
I'm not suggesting we should run out into the streets, chuck our jumpers down for goalposts, and have a kickabout, but watching the best should inspire us to look after our own health a bit more, shouldn't it? ;)?
Wouldn't that be great though Mark. Neighbours spontaneously taking over their street to have a kick about after a big game. or play tennis after a gripping tennis match. Although maybe not taking to their cars for a street race after F1 😂.
I've been trying to think when things changed for me when I went from just loving sport loving watching sport to equating it with drinking. When did I start thinking you cant watch sport live or on the telly if you haven't got a pint in your hand? Answer I have no idea life just seemed to evolve that way. Hmmm maybe that's not the answer and I should ponder that one a bit more...

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Yes, a kickabout or impromptu tennis tournament with the neighbours would be fun!
(::) \:)/
TrueState wrote:
15 Jun 2021 17:53
When did I start thinking you cant watch sport live or on the telly if you haven't got a pint in your hand? Answer I have no idea life just seemed to evolve that way. Hmmm maybe that's not the answer and I should ponder that one a bit more...
Interesting, isn't it, TS? I have no idea what the answer is, either! As you say, it just seemed to happen.

I went for my second Covid jab, last night. When I joined the queue at the health centre, I checked my phone and the Portugal-Hungary match was 0-0 with 8 minutes left :D

By the time I'd reached the TV just outside the vaccination hall, Portugal were 3-0 ahead! :shock:

Football. Bloody hell! (w) :lol:

TrueState

Post by TrueState »

Thats why we love it so much.. .although I may not be thinking that if I was from Hungary.

TrueState

Post by TrueState »

Well England were dreadful...nothing more to say than that.
Other games have been very entertaining. The One just finished Portugal v Germany has to be the most entertaining so far.

TrueState

Post by TrueState »

Just to change sports for a moment....absolutely gutted at today's rugby result. Seems a very unfair system.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Agree! ;)?

England were woeful and Scotland were good, but the Portugal vs Germany match was excellent. I was pleased for Poland too - before it started, my Polish friends had no hope of getting anything from that match! :D

And the same is true of Hungary against France :)

Which rugby match do you mean, TS? I have to admit, I missed that.