Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Legal Problems And Drink.

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
George

Legal Problems And Drink.

Post by George » 24 Jun 2010 10:06

A short time ago it was suggested that it would be good if we ran a thread dealing with drinking and driving. It was felt that it could be good but that there are often other problems such as violence or employment, many other problems relating to alcohol in fact, that are dealt with legally so here we are, "Legal Problems And Drink.", give it a go, see what you think.

George
“Now I’m sober and I realize, I didn’t drink to escape the world, I drank to escape myself”
― Phil Volatile, Crushed Black Velvet

Mark.

Re: Legal Problems And Drink.

Post by Mark. » 24 Jun 2010 10:24

Hi George,

You know, I just saw this post and thought: "Hey there's a thread I haven't seen before, that's the perfect thread for the people who want to discuss drink-driving", and then I realised you'd created a completely new thread. Perfect!! Especially as it can be used, as you say, to discuss a broad range of issues.

DD doesn't affect me, thankfully - unless you count drink-cycling, which I suppose we should as it's potentially just as dangerous for both the drinker and other road-users. However, it shames me to know for certain that if I could drive a car, I would have ended up driving drunk at some point.

Best wishes to yourself and to all who use this thread,
Mark
Nie chwal dnia przed zachodem słońca.

Andy
Last Drink Date: 30 Oct 2015

Post by Andy » 24 Jun 2010 11:53

thx George :-)

At some point when I'm not so busy I'll add a couple of detailed posts of things I've found out during and since being done for DD. Too busy at the moment but I think it could be an eye opener some of the consequences of loosing your licence and also how many people will have potentially been DD without even realising it!!!

Andy
Journey started 22-Feb-10.

Janmac

Post by Janmac » 24 Jun 2010 13:49

Hi there.

As some of you already know, this thread hits a major cord for me.

Just a quicky for you Mark, but you can be arrested for being in charge of a push bike whilst drunk. I hadn't known this previously, and I'm not sure what the penalties are, but none the less it is illegal.

Also for you mum's out there it may be worth bearing in mind that it is also an offence to be in charge of a baby in a pram whilst under the influence of drink.

Gosh... if only these questions came up in Trivial Pursuit! A really obscure one is being in charge of a sheep whilst under the influence! Not sure who that might be useful too, but you never know.

Take Care

Jan <:)>

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 24 Jun 2010 14:14

Thanks Jan,

That's fascinating information!

Thankfully, I'm not intending to drink-cycle again any time soon (too many bad memories and the odd scar here and there...)

Nor was I planning on being caught drunkenly in charge of a sheep! But it's always good to know stuff like that!

Mark
Nie chwal dnia przed zachodem słońca.

Janmac

Post by Janmac » 24 Jun 2010 14:20

Hi Mark

I'm glad you have made the decision not to drink cycle anymore, for no other reason than, I quite like the living you!

The sheep one is obscure isn't it. We went through a number of offences that you could be charged with on my alcohol awareness course. I was quite surprised about being in charge of a pram. Not sure how often these laws are actually put into force, but I guess it's always worth knowing about them.

Jan

Andy

Post by Andy » 24 Jun 2010 14:30

Does there have to be a baby in the pram for it to be an offence ;-)

Andy

Janmac

Post by Janmac » 24 Jun 2010 14:36

Good point Andy, but yes I'm fairly sure they said a baby in a pram!

damson

Post by damson » 24 Jun 2010 14:55

Woman in our local paper this week for being drunk in charge of a child ....how embarrassing and irresponsible is that?

sue
Last Drink Date: 10 Jul 2011

Post by sue » 24 Jun 2010 14:58

Its scarey to think it could be any of us! There was many an evening when I was drunk when my daughter was little. How the hell i could have dealt with an emergency makes me go cold thinking about it now.

damson

Post by damson » 24 Jun 2010 15:00

I guess lots of us have been there Sue - no point in dwelling on it - just make sure we never go there again!
Damson

Janmac

Post by Janmac » 24 Jun 2010 15:04

Damson & Sue,

I guess it would be embarrassing and irresponsible, and as you say Sue, I'm guessing as parents we have at some time probably done it.

The scary thing about being charged with this, is that we were told that social services become involved and can if necessary take children into care. I don't know about any one else, but if my child had been taken into care because of my need for a drink, I'm really not sure I could have coped with it.

Jan

hamster
Last Drink Date: 02 Nov 2010

Post by hamster » 24 Jun 2010 17:57

Hi Janmac et al

I remember (just) coming home from the North on the train with my son who would have been about 4 at the time. I caught a train, two tubes and a bus home and then promptly blacked out on arrival home (hubby there to take over). To this day I cant imagine what my poor little boy must have been thinking or feeling or what people must have thought.

I could have been arrested and but knows how I would have coped with social services involved. I dont think I would. Its memories like these, threads like this, that remind me why I am sober today.

Julie
x
AF2011 number 10

WendyinOz

Post by WendyinOz » 25 Jun 2010 00:59

I do know of somebody charged with being drunk on a push bike with his wife riding on the handlebars coming home from the pub..so that one's true ..
Maybe the drunk in charge of a sheep one originated in New Zealand.. lol

Andy

Post by Andy » 25 Jun 2010 04:48

WendyinOz wrote:I do know of somebody charged with being drunk on a push bike with his wife riding on the handlebars coming home from the pub..so that one's true ..
Maybe the drunk in charge of a sheep one originated in New Zealand.. lol
I was thinking Wales for the sheep one eh boyo ;-)

WendyinOz

Post by WendyinOz » 25 Jun 2010 07:51

LOL Andy
Do they go out with them in Wales ?

SB
Sorry about your ordeal when you were the innocent party
Glad it all turned out ok in the end <:)>

Janmac

Post by Janmac » 25 Jun 2010 09:51

Hi SB

I seriously can not imagine how that must have felt. My daughter is an adult now, but if anything like that had happened when she was a child I really don't think I could have coped. Like you say it must have been a dreadful stress and just goes to prove what a strong person you are to have come out the other end.

I think if nothing else this thread will highlight to people that it's not just the obvious things that alcohol can get you in trouble with the law. I guess we're all aware of drink driving and drunk and disorderly, but I for one was naive to the other things you could get in trouble for.

Jan

Janmac

Post by Janmac » 25 Jun 2010 18:41

If it's any consolation SB, it's taken for me to get into trouble through drink driving before I realised I was destroying my life.

In lots of ways it has been the kick up the ar*e I needed to make me change things, not only my drinking habits, other things as well. To say I've been burying my head in the sand would be a huge understatement.

The unfortunate thing is that making the changes is going to be a lot more difficult, because of the added legal issues I've brought on myself. I could say "if only I realised before" but then life is full of if only.

I just hope that others on this journey are more resolute in their goal for sobriety, and that by reading these threads realise that they have made the right decision and made it before alcohol leads them into a life changing situation.

Take Care

Jan

James55

Post by James55 » 27 Jun 2010 14:18

Now I am not proud of this at all, very much ashamed in fact and paid the price of losing my car.

But, I used to drink drive, pretty much every evening, quite often to drive back to the shop to get more booze...

Got stopped by Police one evening whilst going for a re-load of beers after drinking 8 cans of premium lager and got breathalised, I passed. So I drove home and drank another eight cans.

In my stupid drunken way I saw this a green light thinking I could get away with it all the time.
Until one evening whilst driving back from the pub, seeing triple, I slammed my car into a bollard and wrote it off (my car and the bollard).

I still managed to limp the car home and into the driveway; it got scrapped a few days later. A very nice car too.

I am SO, SO, SO glad, that the utter idiot I used to be didn't kill anyone.

J

Bela
Last Drink Date: 23 Aug 2009

Post by Bela » 27 Jun 2010 18:25

What's a bollard, James?
That's a new word for me.
Whatever works.

Cravings stop going where they aren't fed.