Regrouping

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Re: Regrouping

Post by Spats »

Hindsight Swordie is a good thing. Must learn from it and keep things in perspective ;)?

Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

Morning all.

Still struggling here. Such a shame as I’m in holiday. Two days left. Determined to make them sober.

T xx

Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

Hi all.

I’ve escaped to the beach. I’m in Jaywick!! It’s a beautiful beach in such a deprived area. Quite fascinating really.

T xx

Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

Hello. Me again.

I’ve made it through the day sober. Lovely time on the beach, did some jobs around the house and went to the gym. Phew. Hopefully my latest disasterous cycle is over.

How’s everyone else?

T xx

chriscole
Last Drink Date: 12 Nov 2014

Post by chriscole »

Hi tad , thats great to hear , good one !!!

Just going back to Ant again, i read a qoute he made in the paper along the linea of ' my experts told me im not an alcoholic, which is good because i look forward to a good cold beer, especially when we do 'im a celebrity' in oz.

Pity.

Mind you im kinda the same. Although i admit i have a drink problem, i still talk myself into thinking i can control it again. Everytime.
2017 challenge member #34 !!!

Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

Me too cx. That’s the problem isn’t it? Every time I have a few days on the booze I hope that when I finally knock that episode on the head it will be the last one. Sadly it keeps tearing its ugly head again.

ScarletB

Post by ScarletB »

Just wanted to say hi. Especially CC and Tad. Good job staying positive. In 30 min I'll start my day 4. I've already had several thoughts today of making this just a "break" when I know I need to abstain for good. One day at a time though.

swordgirl.

Post by swordgirl. »

Morning All
Managed a sober day yesterday. Did feel very compelled to go out and buy something at one point but managed to stay home and not go to the shops. Feel like there's a mountain to climb, so better start to break it down and just think about today.

Hope you had a nice time at the beach Tad. Hope everyone is ok and wishing for a sober day for all of us.

Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

Morning all.

Had a bit of a lie in this morning. Think I needed it but I’m still at the gym early for my class.

Scarlett I totally get what you’re saying. 4 days I think we start to feel more normal and cleaner. It’s strange how easily we forget the place that alcohol sends us to, which is why we strive for sobriety. During a drinking cycle I long for the peace that sobriety brings me and then after about 3-4 days I tell myself that I can have one day drinking and then get back on track, but it never works that way. I found myself having to break my holiday week by working Wednesday and booking a shift for tomorrow. I hate that I couldn’t possibly have a 7 day stretch of no work but if I had have done god knows where I’d be mentally now as I’d have totally ruined it with drink. It affects so many spheres of my life as I’m sure it does. So here I am again, telling myself that now I’ve managed to get another sober day in I’ll keep it this way. Of course I don’t believe that!

Anyway, it’s good to be sober today and thank god im working tomorrow as it’s the weekend.

Have a good day all.

T xx

ScarletB

Post by ScarletB »

It is good to be sober, Tad. I'm dreading the temptation tonight when we have friends come round. They will be expecting the usual spirits flowing. My plan is to abstain. I'm focusing on a sober weekend but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't terrified. Posting on the 7 day also. Day 5 today.

Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

You’re doing great Scarlett. But yes, as he days rack up it seems harder.

Good luck tonight xx

DoneandDone
First Sober Date: 24 Oct 2017

Post by DoneandDone »

ScarletB wrote:It is good to be sober, Tad. I'm dreading the temptation tonight when we have friends come round. They will be expecting the usual spirits flowing. My plan is to abstain. I'm focusing on a sober weekend but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't terrified. Posting on the 7 day also. Day 5 today.
Hi Scarlet,
You are having the first signs of the benefits. Savor them, hang on to them. Keep repeating to yourself how much you love it. You are also at the biggest challenge for many, the social aspect. We are social beings and alcohol is a big part. It was my biggest fear my first social occasions. I got a lot of support here. See What do you drink Instead threads. You are nervous yes. I decided to let that be the kind of nervous that’s fun. Like trying new things makes you feel.

Keep a drink in your hand. Something fizzy and tart. Nice glass. You will find you enjoy parties sober even more. It’s a new life and it’s more fun. You won’t miss it. The AV is just telling you that.

Big hug
D&D
It will always and forever be One Day At A Time

DoneandDone
First Sober Date: 24 Oct 2017

Post by DoneandDone »

Hi Tad crossed post
Big hug to you too. And the all the regroupers.
Regrouping, the place the struggle is real. Be gentle with yourselves. Any harshness over not getting it faster is counter productive. When you don’t reach a goal, tell yourself you are working on it. Give yourself some credit. Do some nice things for yourself. I found I had to cheer myself up, even if I felt like I was pretending, to keep from picking up. And it’s ok to be sad too. A good cry can do wonders. A few cries sober and I moved through some old stuff that no longer haunts me. D&D
It will always and forever be One Day At A Time

Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

Wise and lovely words d and d. Thankyou xx

ScarletB

Post by ScarletB »

Thanks D&D. Great advice.

Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

How’s everyone doing?

I’m home from work finally. Today was difficult. Day off tomorrow. Glad but slightly worried for obvious reasons.

T xx

ScarletB

Post by ScarletB »

Doing well, Tad. This evening was tough but I made it. Ate crazy, like off combinations of things, heavy carbs and sweets so my stomach is feeling quite strange right now. But sober and heading to bed so I will call this day a success. Good luck tomorrow. I'll check in in the morning.

Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

Wow well done Scarlett!!

It can’t havw been easy but you’ll be reaping the rewards this morning. Enjoy every moment!

T xx

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats »

Out for my birthday lunch with sister yesterday. Lots of veggies and no dessert - didn’t look very appetising.

Disastrous birthday. On way to take client to visit hubby in home 30 mileage away. Luckily hadn’t got far. Broke down. Rang garage (dealership). couldn’t collect us. Gave me number for tow people.Phone out of charge. Used clients phone. Breakdown people would take 2 hours.phone out of charge. 2 people offered to push- no luck, automatic brakes. He rang police. Broke down by traffic lights. Luckily friend came past so asked her to take client home (client has dementia), and then came back to me. Police chivvied breakdown people. Finally able to move (new battery needed). Eventually got to dealership (after trying Halfords) and left car there till battery arrived Tuesday. S.i.l lending me her car for Monday.

So Friday triggered drinking. Yesterday was bit yuk. Bed at 8.30pm but didn’t sleep too well. Will try to rally myself later today. Def feel another AF night coming on ;)?

Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

Hi spats. That sounds utterly awful. R u feeling better today? I’m with you on an af day. Husband working later so I’ve instructed him to take all money and cards so I won’t be able to buy alcohol. Begging the bar next door for a ‘tick’ would be too much even for me!

Just had a lovely breakfast by the fire. Good start to the day. I’m actually looking forward to having the house to myself tonight and some time completely alone.

T xx