Regrouping

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Sleepyb

Re: Regrouping

Post by Sleepyb »

Morning all. Well I had some wine last night, not huge amounts but went to dinner with an old work colleague and was still feeling rubbish from the weekend drinking I kind of didn’t really know what else to do. I mean I had s lovely time seeing my friend but now so annoyed with myself, thinking how much better I would be feeling this morning if I’d avoided the drink yesterday. Oh well it’s the first and everyone is in about going sober for October so I guess that’s a good bit of motivation to see if I could make it to the end of the month.
I did feel a bit better after the swim yesterday so don’t know why I had to balls it up by drinking some more last night.
Having a bit of anxiety anyway at the mo due to some stuff going on in my personal life and work is getting on my nerves but I know I’ll deal with it so much better with a clear head.

Tarzan

Post by Tarzan »

blimey - close your eyes for a minute and it all happens - good news on the funding chris - really excellent

sleepy i'm going for the stoptober thing - partly to help practice for not having so much money following potential redundancy and partly cos I need to - mainly cos I need to
so of course I had extra last night as it was the 'last' night - why do people do that - get extra twatted before we give up - I mean I wasn't twatted but you know what I mean

anyway feeling very positive about life in general today - not sure why - although I too have been feeling anxiety creeping in for no specific reason recently - most strange

love to all

Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

Morning!!!

Fab mews cc. I haven’t heard anything from or about banana.

I drank wine last night. No reason. Just felt like it. Suffering today but getting back on it.

Until later...

T xx

Sleepyb

Post by Sleepyb »

Good morning. 2nd day of Oct so 2nd day of being AF. Can I make it to the end of the month?? I hope we all can groupies!!
Work today and not a lot more exiting to say than that. Had a really bloody difficult spin class last night and not sure whether it was genuinely extra hard or I was just extra useless after having drink over the weekend.
Trying to also make swimming a daily thing, like you say Mr T I find it quite meditative and anything that helps my sometimes quite sh*t mental state can only be a good thing. I’m trying to keep my costume in my car so I can sneak one in at some point during the work day

Tarzan

Post by Tarzan »

Morning sleepy - keeping your costume in the car? you sound like a super hero!

day 2 here as well and, like you, bored at work

love to all

Sleepyb

Post by Sleepyb »

Haha yes I do don’t I Mr T, the ‘sneaking one in during the day’ sounds a bit dubious too and could be misconstrued in various ways.

Sleepyb

Post by Sleepyb »

Oh it also just certainly occurred to me Mr T, yours and mine favourite programme starts tonight, The Apprentice! Yay!
I can’t believe it was a year ago you were saying something about very thick people whilst I was singing it’s praises! Do you remember?

chriscole
Last Drink Date: 12 Nov 2014

Post by chriscole »

thanks for the congrats.nice to see new and old peeps here.
rehab cant come quick enough, im also being sick quite often now, probably gastritis. i did think it was ketoacidosis but the gp doesnt. anyway, should clear up when im abstinent.
is there a thread on here for people who have done rehab?
ill have a look
2017 challenge member #34 !!!

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

chriscole wrote:
02 Oct 2019 12:33
is there a thread on here for people who have done rehab?
Welcome back from me too, Drew - it's great to see you and I'm really glad you're getting rehab ;)?

As for relevant threads, I don't know what form yours will take, but you might find this one useful:

MissCheese's Detox Diary

Miss Cheese hasn't been around here for a long while, but you might remember her? She was a great member and I always appreciated reading her diary.

And this one contains more general advice:

Practical Advice About Detox and Getting Sober

These might not be quite what you're looking for, sorry, but they were all I could think of for now. Someone else might remember other relevant threads.

Another idea might be to ask on General Support & Chat if any other members have gone through rehab.

Great to see you again, and very best wishes with the rehab ;)? <:)>
Mark
"There is no 'us' and 'them'; it's an illusion. We are all human beings, and we all have a responsibilty to support one another." Roger Waters

chriscole
Last Drink Date: 12 Nov 2014

Post by chriscole »

thanks buddy ;)?
2017 challenge member #34 !!!

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

No worries - I hope you find something that's useful ;)?
"There is no 'us' and 'them'; it's an illusion. We are all human beings, and we all have a responsibilty to support one another." Roger Waters

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan »

Drew, a google search for "rehab what to expect" or "uk rehab what to expect" throws up a good bit of information.

Possibly best not to search too much though — try to keep an open mind, and engage with it spontaneously when the time comes.

If it's publicly funded, then it's more likely to focus on evidence-based therapy, rather than being 12-step based. Afterwards — depending on where you are — 12-step (AA) meetings may be the most readily accessible form of aftercare. Again I'd suggest keeping an open mind, and take support wherever you find it.

Look after yourself in the meantime ;)?
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2020 Challenge

Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

The apprentice is also my absolutely favourite programme!!!! Scoffing my dinner down after the gym so I can watch it!

T xx

Sleepyb

Post by Sleepyb »

Mr T actually can’t stand it tad 😂 no taste that one!

Sleepyb

Post by Sleepyb »

Mr T actually can’t stand it tad 😂 no taste that one!

Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

Did you watch it sleepy? That hour flew past. My husband used to hate it but he also enjoys it now.

Off to bed soon.

T xx

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

We have a whole section of BE dedicated to relapsing yet I feel compelled to post here - go figure.

I don't look at things so scientifically. I don't look at picking up again as "relapsing". I'm just here to lick my wounds for a bit. You see I managed 1 year of complete sobriety. Did all the challenges and made it to one year - yesiree. I can crow about my other abstinence challenges - and victories - but why bother. I'm here and regrouping.

Where do I go from here? Well back to sobriety of course. Now to find my way back.

Not gonna rationalize and say I'm not drinking as much as before. I'm not but I will.

Not gonna rationalize and say I do better in social gatherings. I do but not for long.

Not gonna rationalize and say my family and close friends are impressed with my one year of sobriety. They were.

Now it's just about getting back in the saddle. I don't even like the flucking stuff. Hurts my stomach. Hurts my brain. Hurts my relationships. Just hurts - is all. Damage all the way.

Why do I do it? Am I just stupid or is there some validity in the disease theory?

By coincidence I have been reunited with a long lost cousin. She is 2 years sober but still fancies what drink has to offer. We both battle these alcohol demons on a daily basis and am I ever sick of it. Sick to death actually.

My cousin and I are related because of our mothers - sisters. Both full blown alcoholics (yes I used that label again) who are over 80 and no longer drink. You know why? They can't. It will kill them within days maybe hours. They are both on dialysis.

Siblings? My cousin has two that are full blown alcoholics (there I go again) Me? Brother drinks like a fish. Sister smokes pot to oblivion.

I have been fighting this flucking punish yourself for no reason war for over 10 years and I've won more than my share of battles. I'm just here regrouping for a spell before enter I go back to war. Hopefully for the last time.

Very disappointed in myself. Cowboy.
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain.

martha

Post by martha »

Cowboy wrote:
02 Oct 2019 22:53
Very disappointed in myself. Cowboy.
Well, I'm not disappointed in you, Cowboy. And nobody who knows you would/should be. You've been totally honest all throughout your journey and you're being honest right now. You'll have helped many people, and lots you won't ever know about. Don't under-estimate your achievements.
I hope the communication with your cousin has been/will be helpful. Sounds interesting!
Take care <:)>
Waiting for bunnies to appear in the fields.

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

martha wrote:
03 Oct 2019 00:05
Well, I'm not disappointed in you, Cowboy. And nobody who knows you would/should be.
Ditto CB <:)>

Relapsing brings out the worst in us. All our insecurities and self loathing come to the fore ('see I told you you were useless didn't I - might as well pour another drink, you know you want one').
Cowboy wrote:
02 Oct 2019 22:53
Where do I go from here? Well back to sobriety of course. Now to find my way back.
That's the spirit. Try not to dwell on the lapse. Put it down to experience and get back in the saddle. Use the positives that got you through the sober year and discard the negatives of the lapse. You're stronger now than you've ever been and you can beat this ;)? <:)>
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Sleepyb

Post by Sleepyb »

Morning all. Cowboy, don’t think we’ve really ‘spoken’ as such but I’ve followed your story and you’ve been so insightful and interesting. I’m sure you know but you can’t write off all that AF time. Just have to get straight back on it.
I think (hope) I speak for the other groupies when I say this thread does suit me best as although I haven’t tracked up even a third of what you have, I do want to acknowledge the significantly more number of AF days I have managed since joining BE. And I still live in hope sooner or later it’ll just click and my being AF will just go on and on. But until that does happen I have still made far more progress in my mission to be abstinent than I did before joining this forum xxx