Regrouping

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Sleepyb

Re: Regrouping

Post by Sleepyb »

Tadpole wrote:
02 Oct 2019 22:05
Did you watch it sleepy? That hour flew past. My husband used to hate it but he also enjoys it now.

Off to bed soon.

T xx
Tad I did watch it, already so many cringe moments 😂😂

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Ditto to Martha and TC from me too, Cowboy <:)> <:)>

Getting back on the wagon asap is wise, but beating yourself up may not help. As you said, you've already won many battles. You'll win many more. The guy who wins the most battles, wins the war ;)?

Slipping after a major milestone seems a fairly common occurrence. It always worries me that folk treat it like snakes and ladders and think, "Aww, shit - it'll take me another year to get back to where I was."

If you can stop again now, you'll have lost very little time. This time next year you could be two years sober (minus a very brief dip.in the middle).

Wishing you a good day, friend ;)?

Crossing with Sleepy \:)/
"There is no 'us' and 'them'; it's an illusion. We are all human beings, and we all have a responsibilty to support one another." Roger Waters

Tarzan

Post by Tarzan »

I have two very insightful comments to make:

Cowboy - I too have read many of your thoughtful and inspiring posts on the other threads and thank you for them - this community is better for having you here, all strength to you

Sleepy/Tad - you're better than that - stop watching it

Love to all

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Tarzan wrote:
03 Oct 2019 08:31
Nooo! Sorry, Tarzan - I'm a fan too! ;)? :lol:
"There is no 'us' and 'them'; it's an illusion. We are all human beings, and we all have a responsibilty to support one another." Roger Waters

Tai
Last Drink Date: 30 Oct 2010

Post by Tai »

You’re in good company here Cowboy <:)> this is exactly the thread that I came to in order to regroup. And it helped me more than I can ever put into words. If I started counting the number of problem drinkers / alcoholics in my family I’d be here til Sunday. And I don’t know if it’s a disease ... all I know is how ill I felt ... in my body, and in my mind.

Getting and staying sober is no universal panacea in that it doesn’t solve all our problems in life. It can feel very unfair ... the fact that some aspects of ours lives remain stubbornly immune to the transformation we hoped for when we stopped drinking.

When we focus on what remains unchanged maybe we stop seeing what has changed though. I know I need to be reminded sometimes just what my drinking history was like. For every “good time” there were countless embarrassing/ damaging / hurtful episodes but my memory is able to zero in only those bright shiny times ... pretty typical eh? That’s why I need to remind myself and it’s not about feeling bad, it’s about staying on track.

Addiction doesn’t go away when we stop drinking. It’s probably the most difficult thing to deal with in all this. It’s the reason why we continue to think drinking will turn out all right despite all of our personal experience / evidence to the contrary. It’s the reason why I’ve had to and continue to have to work on myself. And this thread is where that work started.

Chin up Cowboy, you can definitely do this <:)>
A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more than much knowledge that is idle.
Khalil Gibran

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Tai wrote:
03 Oct 2019 08:41
Addiction doesn’t go away when we stop drinking.
I absolutely LOVE that, Jos (::) ;)? Mind if I use it for my signature? <:)>

Tai
Last Drink Date: 30 Oct 2010

Post by Tai »

Hiya J4 <:)> don’t mind in the least. Hard lesson that one.
A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more than much knowledge that is idle.
Khalil Gibran

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

Tai wrote:
03 Oct 2019 08:41
Addiction doesn’t go away when we stop drinking. It’s probably the most difficult thing to deal with in all this.
Thanks for the reminder Jos ;)? So easy to forget that isn't it (because, of course, we want to be able to drink like "normal" people)? Fact that we cannot drink is tough to come to terms with, but come to terms with it we must if we are ever going to live a fulfilling life. For us, there is no moderation. We've crossed over into addiction and it doesn't ever go away.
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Sleepyb

Post by Sleepyb »

Can I go like this to you Mr T 🖕, I’m worried I might get a ban if I do

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Sleepyb wrote:
03 Oct 2019 09:26
I’m worried I might get a ban if I do
:lol: :lol:
Tai wrote:
03 Oct 2019 09:04
don’t mind in the least. Hard lesson that one.
Thanks, Jos ;)? <:)>

BizzyBee
Last Drink Date: 21 Apr 2019
First Sober Date: 22 Apr 2019

Post by BizzyBee »

Hey everyone
Nice to see it so busy on here.
I echo what everyone else is saying cowboy. You've done amazingly and the most important bit of your relapse is you getting back on the sober path so quickly. Keep posting and keep trying. We're all here for you in the virtual world of support.
I've never watched the apprentice. That might be swearing to you avid fans 😜 Sorry! I'm trying to catch up on peaky blinders at the mo. Cillian Murphy...... Mmm Mmm 😂
I've managed to not drink since Saturday but know I'm going to have a drink this weekend as have got a wedding doo to go to. Maybe that's giving up before I've even tried?? Will see how it goes.
I've really felt like drinking most days this week. OH had pissed me off so I've automatically thought of going to a girlfriends for a rant and some wine. Old habits 🙄
Hope you're all having a good Thursday
X

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Thanks BB and all for your posts. It means so much to me that other folks in the these parts get it. I mean really get it.

Not sure about the apprentice discussion. Last time I was hearing about this it was a Donald Trump show?

It's crazy you know. Here I am doing all this research and learning about my inner and better self. Not my ego the other one the watcher. Well the watcher is watching all right. I seem to be on some kind of self destructive auto pilot. Like one of those spaceships in the science fiction that is in some tractor beam and none of the steering or braking or any controls are operational. I walk into a store to purchase booze and I am in a kind of zombie state. The only good (good being relative) thing that happens is that I limit the amount of booze that I buy. And ... usually I don't even drink that.

Perhaps the watcher is interceding. Or perhaps I'm just slowly losing my mind. In any case it would be nice to completely stop.

Tai, TC, JJ =. You're all right. The addiction never stops. It's a kind of curse. But it could be worse. Way worse.

I really am thankful for what I do have and that most certainly includes BE and the cyber friends that I have made in these parts.

It's another day and another opportunity to jump back on my faithful steed. Have a great day all.
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

I hope the regroupies will forgive me for intruding one last time (promise!) today, but...
Cowboy wrote:
03 Oct 2019 15:44
The addiction never stops.
Cowboy, how could I not think of your and my old friend Frank Zappa when I heard you say that? Thing is, it needn't be "torture". Frank, as you and I both know, was teetotal and didn't exactly suffer for it, in terms of what he achieved in, and got out of, life ;)?

Cowboy wrote:
03 Oct 2019 15:44
Not sure about the apprentice discussion. Last time I was hearing about this it was a Donald Trump show?
The British version is a lot better (no Trump). However, I apologise for having mentioned the show again within Tarzan's hearing... ;)

Sleepyb

Post by Sleepyb »

Jjjj never apologise for interrupting us groupies

chriscole
Last Drink Date: 12 Nov 2014

Post by chriscole »

indeed its a curse. hi cowboy !!
i vomit daily now.not from hangover or withdrawals,but because of alcoholic gastritis. i cant wait to quit and start rehab.

a while ago i managed to halt drinking untill 6pm. but thats slipped. i find myself wandering the house at 9am not even wanting a drink but im compulsed to. ( hence my speculation that alcoholism is not a disease,but on a spectrum of OCD. )

once i get my phone back i will keep a diary on my time in rehab here.if peeps are interested.
2017 challenge member #34 !!!

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Sleepyb wrote:
03 Oct 2019 18:30
Jjjj never apologise for interrupting us groupies
Thanks, Sleepy ;)? <:)>
chriscole wrote:
03 Oct 2019 19:29
once i get my phone back i will keep a diary on my time in rehab here.if peeps are interested.
Please do, Drew - I would be interested. I'm sorry about the alcoholic gastritis <:)>

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

chriscole wrote:
03 Oct 2019 19:29
i vomit daily now.not from hangover or withdrawals,but because of alcoholic gastritis.
I used to suffer with that very badly too Drew. Swallowing OTC meds did nothing to alleviate the problem either (of course). Take heart, it can greatly improve once you are no longer drinking. TCxx
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Sleepyb

Post by Sleepyb »

Good morning all. A diary would be really interesting chriscole/drew
I hope all are ok, Cowboy, are you still there?
Very busy day at work today but I like it like that, well I do when I’ve not been drinking and my head is clear.
I was meant to be going to the cinema with a friend tonight who has cancelled which is fine by me as she would’ve asked about going for a drink after the film.

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Sleepyb wrote:
04 Oct 2019 08:56
I hope all are ok, Cowboy, are you still there?
Hi Sleepy. Yep still here. Not planning to go anywhere. Maybe a bit lost but there are very clear signs along the trail to help me find my way back. One of them being no hangover this morning and does that ever feel good after a few days of waking up feeling shitty. Most of the booze I brought home last night is still in my cupboard - also a good sign.

Staying connected with BE is a good way to keep me moving in the right direction. Towards sobriety.

Have a great AF day folks. Cowboy.
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain.

Tarzan

Post by Tarzan »

hi everyone - I felt pretty lousy this morning - not alcohol related so didn't post - it seems to have burnt off somewhat during the day so hopefully it was a blip
nothing else to add but thought i'd better keep posting to stay honest
and glad you're feeling better cowboy!
love to all