Regrouping

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Tink
Last Drink Date: 26 Aug 2020

Re: Regrouping

Post by Tink »

I loved that story Carol.. It was so lovely. It reminded me of the Tahitian saying ' YOU EAT LIFE OR LIFE EATS YOU" . I love quotes and stories like that. I printed it out and will have a peek in my scrap book I use in times of stress and doubt. My Why I am doing this scrap book. I started it last time I slipped and so far so good. Loads of good stuff on here. Great posts. So many light bulbs going off it is very bright in here. (::) ;)? :D

I found that when I went to that comfortable place, drunk, dark and wallowing in my sadness,I would see a glimpse of why I hurt but it was so clouded by the drink it did me not a bit of good. The next day it was all lost in the aftermath of destruction I had done to myself philosophically and mentally. I still the love dark and feel comfortable in it but now it is the dark of night.
Then anxiety and depression Cowboy is feeling is so familiar. That is why I spoke of the comfort. We find our comfort in our passy the bottle and loosing that as a child looses its passy is hard. Gotta find a different way to comfort ourselves. Once you find it then you will loose allot of the anxiety. Learn to calm yourself and let yourself know it is going to be alright. You will be OK. Just as you would settle a child and soon they learn to do it for themselves. You will need loads of reassurance and understanding from here and from yourself. I do promise though in time it will go away. Find something that makes you feel safe and warm inside. A cup of hot choc. or a blanket to sit wrapped in front of the fire or tele. Sounds stupid? Well not as stupid and suckin on a bottle of self destruction now is it? What ever your thing is you find it will give you some peace. This is maybe the step we all missed? Learning healthy ways to comfort ourselves?
Have a great day mates.
Love this thread and keep up the posting I love reading here. (::) <:)>

Respectfully yours,
Tink :D
Life is a journey not a destination. Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.

2XS

Post by 2XS »

Great thread everyone.. really insightful posts.

I'm likening this 'regrouping' to being out in a battle field where enemy attack is coming from all directions but in the midst of all hell breaking lose us soldiers manage to find the time and space to 'regroup' and formulate tactics to forge ahead with our individual & collective missions!!!

I'm moving to reinforce my out post immediately.....cover me I'm going in!!!!! ;)?
Bombshells- How to survive using the emotional umbrella technique

Tink

Post by Tink »

Yaaaaaaaahooooooooooo! 2x that is wonderful and I got a great BS fence here for ya if ya need one? ;)? :D Love mine and still have my purple shields I got from Tony last year as well they work great! ;) (::)
Life is a journey not a destination. Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Katja

Post by Katja »

Great posts, absolutety fab! I sit here and admire the wisdom in your writings my friends. The experiences and feelings you so honestly share, are much bigger help than any book I have found in the bookshop. Thank You <:)>

Cowboy: One day at the time my friend, try to enjoy the good things in each day <:)>

Katja ;)?

zelda

Post by zelda »

Carol, bloody fabulous story.
Here in Froggie land, my muslim friend trying to help me regarding alcohol said something that is similar.
Keep feeding the crocodile and one day it will eat you....
Cowboy, you are ready for a real go at abstinence it seems, and we will all be right behind you mate. I can almost feel your sad frustration from you words, and I know that feeling so well.. <:)>
Anyway, this is a great thead. It goes further than why we drink, it seems to be trying to answer the next part, why we manage to give up but just have to go back for a little 'try' every now and then. I feel great as i feel half way up my mountain, rather than at the bottom looking at the top.
Have a good evening everyone.
Zed xx

hamster
Last Drink Date: 02 Nov 2010

Post by hamster »

I have been lurking and reading and posting then I came across this thread and read and was blown away by the posts here.

Katja - we haven't met but I have found your posts inspirtional - loved them here.
Zelda <:)> so sorry for your losses. Love your words - you are so wise. Cowboy, Carol - just brill.

I love the idea of this thread. Being a habitual lapser its hard to keep going back and back to day 1.
My journey started three years ago when I joined BE. BE helped me fix the nightmare that was my life by supporting me to find sobriety. It was great. I felt great. for 9 months I tripped along on a heady high of having control in my life at long last. Before that I was drinking half a bottle of vodka a night and more at the week-ends. I was suicidal when drinking and dragged off to hospital on one occasion. so being sober meant so so much to me. After 9 months I slipped. Felt everything that people have described here. Failure, shock, confusion. But I jumped on the wagon again after only one day off and had another go. this time is was three months and when I slipped a few more days before I jumped back on the wagon again. Thus has been the pattern.

So many times I have felt a failure and beaten myself up so badly. But hey - Look where I am now - sober, in front of a computer. Doing well at work and going to Uni. I may well have had all the slips and lapses but I have never relapsed - not YET. My last slip was scary - took 4 weeks to get back on the wagon and I could see my old nightmare in front of me. This thread made me feel reflect on my journey so far, we are all on a journey with ups and downs but still moving forward.

Freedom - I loved the parable about the wolf - It describes my battle within. Never heard anything so true. Just Brill.

Julie
x
AF2011 number 10

Katja

Post by Katja »

Nice to meet you Julie <:)>

Katja

Tink

Post by Tink »

Hi Julie! OMG! So good to see you. Hope we see ya more? Sending you a giant hug. <:)> Great post lady and your wisdom has helped me so much over this journey. You were so important to me in the start. Held my hand allot. Thanks for that and by the way, you are still important to me. ;)? <:)>
Tink

Sandy
Last Drink Date: 21 Aug 2009

Post by Sandy »

Cowboy
I see you changing and you are looking really good!
Sandy

Bela
Last Drink Date: 23 Aug 2009

Post by Bela »

London, one option is to just go ahead and submit your great post, and then if you choose you can go back and edit it. Of course editing is purely optional, but beats striving for perfection and then losing it. :D
Whatever works.

Cravings stop going where they aren't fed.

zelda

Post by zelda »

Goooooooooooooooood morning groupies,
well day five here for me and feeling good. I remember when i first came to BE, and managed to get to four months, GOD, I thought I had it sussed!! I was such a know it all :roll: If one thing has happened over the past year, it is that I have had to look at my weaknesses not as a spectator but as an actor with the lead part, who allows the weaknesses to happen. Because alcohol is not an enemy. Drinking it is. So we are our own worst enemies, just like the bad workman who always blames his tools.
If there is one thing I have learned it is that I am in control of my actions. I make decisions, good or bad, I am responsible for what i do. Maybe this is the hardest part. That is why I don't like talking about the EAF as it makes it seem that this is an 'external' element which comes to taunt us. I prefer the idea of the addictive voice, as that , I am sure is a part of me... it is the part of my brain that I have trained to be so convincing, it is the 'other' me, the one with no limits.
ANyway that's my tuppence worth for the day!! :?
have a great great day as i hope I will, although I might have to shoot my new baby great dane as she is at present chewing my favourite cover!!! :o It is apparently more attractive to her than all the things she is 'allowed' to chew... sound familiar folks?
zelda xx

Dizzy Lizzy
Last Drink Date: 02 Dec 2011

Post by Dizzy Lizzy »

hey zelda, we can both relate to that one huh. 4 months in the bag, felt great than bang. still least we know how it feels to get that far and im guessing that we will do it again in time. im just glad that i am back on here again cos i have let myself be a stranger. take everyone love lizzy xxx
yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery today is a gift because it is a presant.live in the day.

zelda

Post by zelda »

That is just how I feel SB,
I am setting myself up for success on here rather than failure.
Feeling strong this end too. ;)?
Zedders

Dizzy Lizzy

Post by Dizzy Lizzy »

hi maria whats the challange then.love lizzy xxx
yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery today is a gift because it is a presant.live in the day.

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

SB
I think that is a great way to look at things. Stay strong
Cowboy
just keep persevering!
Sandy

Dizzy Lizzy

Post by Dizzy Lizzy »

hi twinny hun, not sure i can do it right now but i think christmas would be great, for me anyway cut down til then and then it has to be the big one.i cant drink everyday now cos im a right cow when i have had a drink :oops: , never used to be. so what you say. love lizzy xxx

london bloke

Post by london bloke »

I have been a busy little beaver - making a poster of some of my favourite quotes from BE posters. It's stuck to my wall, by my Mac.

I've had to cut it off to upload it; but you get the idea.
Attachments
BE quote poster.png
BE quote poster.png (143.82 KiB) Viewed 2619 times
Alcohol = Anxiety: I have suffered for years.
Sobriety = Freedom: I have tasted freedom, and I want it more.

hamster
Last Drink Date: 02 Nov 2010

Post by hamster »

Hi Londonbloke

I have printed that out. Thanks. :D

Julie
AF2011 number 10

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

It's Fab LB!!!
sandy

Andy
Last Drink Date: 30 Oct 2015

Post by Andy »

bloody horrible night, didnt sleep a wink, was cold, but OH said I was burning up, was sweating, couldnt get comfortable at all, OH majorly pissed off at me!!!! Why oh why!!!

Hope you have a better day than it looks like I'll be getting!!!!
Journey started 22-Feb-10.