Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

July General Support and Chat

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Laura-ANewStart

Re: July General Support and Chat

Post by Laura-ANewStart » 26 Jul 2011 15:58

Message for Tom C123 didnt want to hijack the SOS thread lol so thought i would best grab your attn here... i am being drowned in the sounds of Disney haha :lol: Must admit neighbours who share their music with the rest of the street drive me potty!!! Is the sun shining where you are ?

KraftyKat
Last Drink Date: 28 Jun 2020

Post by KraftyKat » 26 Jul 2011 16:09

Hey Laura - congratulations on the new name - very positive (::)
Hope you got my PM re posts and replies.
Take care
KK
One reason I don't drink is that I want to know when I am having a good time.
Nancy Astor

lcd31
Last Drink Date: 25 Jul 2011

Post by lcd31 » 26 Jul 2011 16:13

Just wanted to say thanks to all you guys out there. It is only day 1 for me and I just feel like with you all out there I can do it because I dont feel like I am on my own...so THANK YOU (::)

It also makes me feel more normal if that makes sense. To read other posts and realise my experiences and feelings are just part of the process of stopping drinking etc makes things easier.

Laura-ANewStart

Post by Laura-ANewStart » 26 Jul 2011 16:24

lcd31 wrote:Just wanted to say thanks to all you guys out there. It is only day 1 for me and I just feel like with you all out there I can do it because I dont feel like I am on my own...so THANK YOU (::)

It also makes me feel more normal if that makes sense. To read other posts and realise my experiences and feelings are just part of the process of stopping drinking etc makes things easier.
Well done icd....1 day towards a new life wo alcohol (::)

lcd31
Last Drink Date: 25 Jul 2011

Post by lcd31 » 26 Jul 2011 17:02

Laura-ANewStart wrote:
lcd31 wrote:Just wanted to say thanks to all you guys out there. It is only day 1 for me and I just feel like with you all out there I can do it because I dont feel like I am on my own...so THANK YOU (::)

Well done icd....1 day towards a new life wo alcohol (::)
Yeap Laura, new day new start....21 hours done, 3 to go...llittle by little \:)/

Laura-ANewStart

Post by Laura-ANewStart » 26 Jul 2011 17:14

Small goals eventually lead to big achievements <:)>

KraftyKat

Post by KraftyKat » 26 Jul 2011 17:46

A new name *and* a new avatar Laura - wow!!!!
Hi Lcd - Laura's right. Small goals is the way to go (::)
Nancy Astor

Laura-ANewStart

Post by Laura-ANewStart » 26 Jul 2011 17:51

KraftyKat wrote:A new name *and* a new avatar Laura - wow!!!!
Lol KK can you tell I discovered the ucp ;) did you get my pm all my messages seem to sit in the outbox folder :o

faith2be
Last Drink Date: 06 Nov 2018

Post by faith2be » 26 Jul 2011 18:06

CU had developed another addiction. BE...
I must take a break, this gets all-consuming. But I figure the total time lost through drink is more, so it's a good investment.
But I really must hop out for the evening.
Take care all - with small and large goals!
warmest <:)>
see you soon!
Definition of recovery:
1) "a return to a normal state of health, mind, or strength"
2) "the action or process of regaining possession or control of something stolen or lost"

KraftyKat

Post by KraftyKat » 26 Jul 2011 18:22

Laura-ANewStart wrote:
KraftyKat wrote:A new name *and* a new avatar Laura - wow!!!!
Lol KK can you tell I discovered the ucp ;) did you get my pm all my messages seem to sit in the outbox folder :o
Love the avatar ;)? Yes - PMs arrived safely. :)
Nancy Astor

Laura-ANewStart

Post by Laura-ANewStart » 26 Jul 2011 20:56

Reached my first 48 hours wo alcohol....been on a high today...feelin a bit washed out now not sure if thats being af or school holidays for you... ;)
Thanks for you support BE
Laura xx

Shelsey
Last Drink Date: 14 Jun 2013

Post by Shelsey » 27 Jul 2011 00:02

Just to say, Jack went home today and I felt so sad. But then I remembered you have to have sadness to recognise the happiness.... And I know I am going to WIN!!!!!
Aka STB - new name, still as much trouble!
AF 2012 #32

Friends lost to alcohol:
Michael - 11/09/11 - You were a beautiful person and I will miss you so much

Laura-ANewStart

Post by Laura-ANewStart » 27 Jul 2011 08:24

Day 3 has begun for Me......keep strong everyone xx

Lucille70

Post by Lucille70 » 27 Jul 2011 10:29

Hi everyone,on day 6 of my detox,but off on holiday friday,I am a bit worried i may start drinking again,i would like to have a drink in the evenings,but not everynight,if i can.I think this detox came at the wrong time,i should have started after hols.
Lucille xx

silvergirl

Post by silvergirl » 27 Jul 2011 10:46

lucille, were you able to just drink some nights, before your detox?

can you try to change your point of view, and instead of thinking how great it would be to have one or two, think of how great it will be to have a fantastic time free of the evils of alcohol...

i don't know what your long term plans are with regards to being sober, but holidays etc are still going to be there, and perfectly enjoyable without booze.

good luck, and have fun on your holiday.

sgx
you can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.
~jon kabat-zinn

Laura-ANewStart

Post by Laura-ANewStart » 27 Jul 2011 12:00

TomC123 wrote:Hiya everyone,

Hope you're all having a good morning ;)?

I'm just back in from town, having forced myself out, even though I didn't really want to go (::)

Letters posted, hair cut (now sporting a fresher, clean cut look - was growing it long, but cropped it all off short now!) lunch bought, and chocolate scoffed.

Felt a bit shaky, as town was busy, and it was the first time in yonks that I've been into town without going to the pub first.

Bumped into my old mate Paul. Lovely bloke. We swapped numbers, but I'd forgot that my mobile isn't back on until I pay my bill!

I desperately need some Summer clothes (but can't afford it yet), and a whole new look, as a black T-shirt, grey suit jacket, black jeans and loafers is not at all Summery.

That outfit is also my 'off to the pub for a boozy bender' garb, and I'm embarrassed that people have even half - jokingly commented - eg "Haven't you got any other clothes?". It quite literally became all I wore. Bonkers. Typical drunk :oops:

Strange feeling having been to town an back, and not having drank. Out of my comfort zone, and felt very sweaty and nervous. Really struggle with social anxiety in crowds. I did it though 8-)

3 1/2 weeks sober.

Love to you all,

Tom x
Morning Tom !

Wondered how you would go on today so glad you got out and about well done you!!! (::) ;)? Sounds like you have got your day off to a good start...

3 and a half wks eh thats fab soon be at a month!! - Am jealous ;)

Laura x

joanneholdbrook

freecycle in your area

Post by joanneholdbrook » 27 Jul 2011 15:28

hey tom well done glad things are going well for you now heres a little bit of information i dont no where you live but go on freecycle in your area ie freecyclebrighton.......... for instance you wont beleive the stuff people give away on it its very good worth a try xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <:)>

faith2be
Last Drink Date: 06 Nov 2018

Post by faith2be » 27 Jul 2011 15:32

You go, Tom <:)>
I agree, all the recycle/2nd hand options are great. But - if you're still worried where your next crust comes from, then clothes take a lower priority. So what if you have the one outfit at the moment. You keep clean, look good in your now haircut - all you need to say is "but I'm emotionally attached to these jeans...." And think stuff it - and hold your head high.
He he!!

CU is currently fighting a MASSIVE craving. Goes upstairs to make a cup of T
I will not, I will not.....
Help!!
:shock:

joanneholdbrook

Post by joanneholdbrook » 27 Jul 2011 15:38

ha ha come undone and yes be its a excellent thing you have to be approved my a moderator but it dont take long then they post on your email whats going then you also post what your offering its a good thing better than taking it to the tip where they keep half the stuff and sell it them selves have a look xxxxxxxxx (::)

Denise1973
Last Drink Date: 17 Feb 2011

Post by Denise1973 » 27 Jul 2011 16:26

Well done Tom. You keep going. We are all in this together ;)?

It's been a while since I was last on the forum. I have tried in vain to control my drinking and it just didn't work.

I would at most go five days without drinking and then kid myself that I have a handle on things and a few days later was back into the same old habits. I have been racking up 110-120 units per week. Nothing has changed. Just over the years progressively got worse.

Eventually I went to the doctor. Was referred to a centre and saw a familiar face in that is was the same nurse that tried to help me cut down three years ago. Now I wanted Antabuse, I didn't take that decision lightly but I know myself and know the addiction is merely psycological as I have a trigger window of between 7pm and 10pm at night. This is after work and before the shops shut. She wouldn't prescribe it until I had tried some other options such as meetings and acupunture.

Three weeks later and even though I have tried the alternative therapies my units of consumption has differed little.

I spoke with the nurse again and we have decided to take the Antabuse route. The nurse told me that Sunday would be my last drink. I had a bottle of wine on Sunday. The last glass I raised up and cheered goodbye to the empty bottle and myself for the change for the better, I know that this is going to make in my life.

Monday night I dreamed that It was Tuesday night and that I had been drinking and now couldnt take the Antabuse and was really dissapointed in myself. Thankfully I woke Tuesday morning to realise it was just a dream.

So today finally I have popped my first pill. I am happy with my decision.