Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Re: Cutting Down

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Sue C

Post by Sue C » 31 Jan 2018 11:26

Hi Ed,
I've not seen a hypnotherapist, but have considered it in the past.
Anyone else?

Sue x

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad » 31 Jan 2018 13:36

Neither have i (only the ones who get some of an audience to do outrageous things :o ). xx
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

Ed
Last Drink Date: 11 Nov 2018

Post by Ed » 31 Jan 2018 21:03

zelda wrote:get yer arse over on a challenge me owd Duck egg. Good to see you on here. Zedders <:)>
Hey hey zedd. What challenge you on? I think I've got to knock it on the head full stop.
Enough time wasted on this.

zelda
Last Drink Date: 29 Mar 2019
First Sober Date: 30 Mar 2019

Post by zelda » 31 Jan 2018 21:35

Yes I'm on the knocking it on the head challenge.... First 7 days.
Zelda: "Oh blimey, I could kill a glass of wine".....
Glass of Wine "Oh blimey , I could kill Zelda".....

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats » 10 Feb 2018 13:34

I keep trying to do 7 days but then fall down on the 7th :oops: . As it say in school reports “must try harder “ (w)

kath
Last Drink Date: 21 Feb 2015
First Sober Date: 28 Jan 2017

Post by kath » 10 Feb 2018 19:50

Spats wrote:I keep trying to do 7 days but then fall down on the 7th :oops: . As it say in school reports “must try harder “ (w)
Can you plan something to do on the 6th 7th 8th day that you just wouldn’t want to do with a hangover?
Is it reward thought that’s making you fail? Day 6 nearly done, I deserve it?
Try to change how you think about booze. I’ve not managed this completely but I did analyse my drinking the last few times, while I was drinking. I was taking note to how I felt and to be honest it didn’t give me a high, it hasn’t for a long time. My husband who has stopped drinking for 8 months now actually pulls a face when talking about drinking because he now just associates it with bad times. Depression, being fat, feeling ill. He has no reward thoughts! He stopped drinking, lost 4 st and his mental health is 90% better.
Maybe write a list of the bad things drink does for you and read it when you need to.
Also I truly think a good big meal is like a kick in the guts for the ww! So if you’re craving, before you cave have a big meal and a big af drink and you might find those cravings have gone.
I’ve had times in the past we’re my Husband has gone to the shop for wine and before he gets back, I’ve changed my mind, so give yourself time to get passed a craving.
I’m no expert! Just trying to help.
one day or day one.

Spats

Post by Spats » 12 Feb 2018 09:58

Thanks kath. I really need to watch out for Friday nights. And occasional other nights. I’m with SW and not doing too bad so think my plan will be to make sure I’ve got something in the slow cooker on Friday nights to rush home for. :D

Carol*

Post by Carol* » 27 Feb 2018 21:18

Hi, I’m new, first real post and trying to figure site out, was wondering about people’s experiences with withdrawal ? I had a very scary episode last night after cutting down from 20 units to 10. At 3 am wolk up fell asleep at 4 then had two hours of not knowing if I was asleep or awake, distraught nightmares with waking but not knowing if the waking was real, hilluscinations, felt heart twinges, one point couldn’t breath
I’m scared to go to bed tonight, but sticking to ten units today
Anyone else felt this? Just hope I don’t get the same again
Best wishes x

Spats

Post by Spats » 27 Feb 2018 22:16

Hi Carol, sorry to hear what you’re going through. I’ve not had that experience but others may have who could advise you. I wonder if tapering it a little more gently may be better, say 15 units. <:)>

Lush4life
Last Drink Date: 04 Jan 2015

Post by Lush4life » 28 Feb 2018 09:07

Carol* wrote:Hi, I’m new, first real post and trying to figure site out, was wondering about people’s experiences with withdrawal ? I had a very scary episode last night after cutting down from 20 units to 10. At 3 am wolk up fell asleep at 4 then had two hours of not knowing if I was asleep or awake, distraught nightmares with waking but not knowing if the waking was real, hilluscinations, felt heart twinges, one point couldn’t breath
I’m scared to go to bed tonight, but sticking to ten units today
Anyone else felt this? Just hope I don’t get the same again
Best wishes x
Carol approach with caution, I had auditory and visual hallucinations that continued for 3 days I did have to seek medical help, am not saying any of this to scare you but just reporting briefly what happened to me.
Get GP appointment if this gets worse and it probably won't, so well done for getting on board with this, you can get well, keep posting if it helps <:)>
I agree also with spats adding a few more units and taper very slowly x
Sobriety is never owned ; it's rented
And rent is due Every day.

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel » 28 Feb 2018 09:30

Yes I had auditory hallucinations a few times too. It's something to do with dopamine. I don't thing those are dangerous in themselves, although they can be a sign of something worrying (can be, but not necessarily) but if you are tachycardic, that's another matter.

The usual is sweats, insomnia, bad dreams if you sleep, extreme anxiety and panic.

Were/are you trembling badly?

These symptoms in my experience don't come and go. If you had them in the night and haven't drunk since, I would expect them to either abate or continue into the day.

As Lushy says, proceed with extreme caution, and really you would be best getting some proper medical advice on how to proceed with this one. It sounds like you could do with a proper detox with some medication tbh, but a much more gradual taper failing that? Certainly Don't reduce again today, then maybe tomorrow by one or two units.

If you get the symptoms again consider calling someone with medical expertise.
Rachel

Carol*

Post by Carol* » 28 Feb 2018 09:54

Thank you for your messages, the strange thing is that in the day after it didn’t continue, just had anxiety. No I wasn’t trembling, well I don’t think I was. Last night went a lot better after staying at the same so think will continue with cutting down but slower this time! Hope you are all doing great today :\:

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel » 28 Feb 2018 10:44

You are probably over the worst of it.

Not really strange that it didn't continue during the day :)

edit: not that strange, but a great relief, I am sure <:)>

Good luck. Tapering is not easy.
Rachel

QueenBee

Post by QueenBee » 12 Mar 2018 15:47

Hi all

I've been drinking heavily for over 2 years now. Mainly two bottles of wine a night.... I know that I'm slowly killing myself and my life has become unmanageable. It's affecting my little boy and my parents are concerned about my ability to look after him properly.

My aim is to quit drinking altogether but do you think it is wise to cut down before trying to stop?

Thanks
QB

Lush4life
Last Drink Date: 04 Jan 2015

Post by Lush4life » 12 Mar 2018 16:20

QueenBee wrote:Hi all

I've been drinking heavily for over 2 years now. Mainly two bottles of wine a night.... I know that I'm slowly killing myself and my life has become unmanageable. It's affecting my little boy and my parents are concerned about my ability to look after him properly.

My aim is to quit drinking altogether but do you think it is wise to cut down before trying to stop?

Thanks
QB
Welcome back QB,
I had a brief look at your previous posts (hope you don't mind) before responding because I would usually advise GP support, but that's not something you feel you can do I see , so yes if you can manage it cutting down would be the safer option I think, hard to do by the very nature of addiction .
I believe there's a few here who have successfully done this and hopefully they can give more advice than me .
I wish you all the very best , you've had 6 year's of sobriety so you know it's doable ; one day at a time.
<:)>
Sobriety is never owned ; it's rented
And rent is due Every day.

QueenBee

Post by QueenBee » 12 Mar 2018 16:42

Thanks Lush4Life

Kokoda
First Sober Date: 03 Feb 2020

Post by Kokoda » 01 Apr 2018 11:04

Hi Everyone,

I was on the abstinence challenge but decided to try to just cut down instead. I was abstinent for three years back around 2012, but had a few drinks here and there after that until I had way too many again one night in January or February this year.

I'm finding as I get older that I struggle to wind down and perhaps it's perimenopause, but I find myself obsessing over issues. For example, my neighbour, whose yard is directly outside my bedroom window (it forms part of their back yard) put an entertainment decking an inch away from my bedroom wall. I'm about to take legal action to have it removed, but it's got me to the point today where I am so agitated that I am having a couple of drinks just to relax.

I guess part of my agitation stems from not being able to understand how inconsiderate we as a race can be. At times I don't really like people very much and I'm finding that more and more.

I know it's not great to self-medicate with alcohol, but I was desperate tonight.

Hope you're all okay xx
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make our world.

http://www.buddhist-temples.com/buddhism-facts/buddhist-quote.html

DoneandDone
First Sober Date: 24 Oct 2017

Post by DoneandDone » 01 Apr 2018 15:54

Hi Kokoda,

If I could be moderate I would go that route. Hats off if you find it’s comfortable. For me it added stress. I still serve drinks to the moderates at the table.

On your neighbor problem. A stress inducing situation and hella good reason to have a drink. What came to mind was a training I took for work once. Based on Harvard Negotion Project, ‘Getting To Yes’ author’s work. You save your BATNA, best alternative to a negotiated settlement for the last course of action. In that case it’s taking the neighbor to court. He knows this. He knows it will cost you. He thinks he has you beat. He will enjoy seeing you spend on a lawyer.

First write the neighbor a letter with your issues stated. What solutions do you see or want. Have your lawyer look at it, suggest strategies, remedies. Then send it yourself. Return receipt.

You can manage this. The world is full of this now. Don’t let it spoil your day. Google ‘Getting to Yes’ for more. Outwit them.

I admire peeps who can be moderate. I unfortunately cannot be moderate. About anything.

Nice to see you.
D&D
It will always and forever be One Day At A Time

Kokoda
First Sober Date: 03 Feb 2020

Post by Kokoda » 02 Apr 2018 02:37

Thanks D&D,

Did you get my message?

I'm afraid two bottles of champagne later I was a right mess. I'm thinking that abstinence is a good choice.

I have heard of that book recently. I think it's an '80's publication. That's a good suggestion, thank you x
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make our world.

http://www.buddhist-temples.com/buddhism-facts/buddhist-quote.html

DoneandDone
First Sober Date: 24 Oct 2017

Post by DoneandDone » 02 Apr 2018 13:31

Hi Kokoda,
Saw you on 7 Day ;)?
Two bottles of champers I remember those days and woozy aftermath.
Getting To Yes ideas seem quaint now. Too ethically minded.

Someone has a song for your birthday...
9C5560FB-3DF9-42E6-9843-DB29619E531C.jpeg
Mere alcohol doesn’t thrill me at all
9C5560FB-3DF9-42E6-9843-DB29619E531C.jpeg (18.89 KiB) Viewed 2828 times
Click here to play
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wSrHvNr8QQQ

Glad to see you back around
D&D
It will always and forever be One Day At A Time