Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Re: Cutting Down

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Jayjay

Post by Jayjay » 01 Dec 2018 20:00

Hi cutting downers
Since my 100 days AF I have drunk 3x.
1. Aim for 2-drank 4 drinks
2.Aim for 0-drank 2
3.Aim for 2-drank 6

Last night's 6 has left me hungover and down. Beginning to wonder whether I should have stayed AF. I'm going to give it until the end of the year and see how I feel. Plan this week is to stay AF and have a couple of drinks on Friday. I've worked so hard to get fit and am in much better shape . I'm just not prepared to go back to bingeing and nightly drinking. Really need a month where I stick to my pkan. Hope your doing well on whatever plans are.

caroline95

Post by caroline95 » 02 Dec 2018 13:07

I was 99% sure that 'mini shortbread' was an auto-correct Kokoda, but the other 1% thought it might just be a Australianism I hadn't heard of before.I watched series 1 of The Sinner to the end, but it was a bit too graphic for me, definitely preferred series 2.I so love Bill Pullman, fantastic actor.

How did your night out go Winkler?

Jay, keeping track of units and being honest about what's going on drinkwise, the way you are, is a big part of being here for me.It may well result in going back to the sobriety challenges, having done the 100 days you know the benefits.Good luck with your plans this week.

Well I did drink a bottle of wine last night after all.It's that Saturday night syndrome, tough one to break for me.On the plus side I did lots of cooking and had a really good meal at the same time, so the one bottle lasted four hours and was only 8 units so I'm ok with that.The plan is to stay sober till next Saturday, and I'm thinking about doing Dry January.It would definitely be a challenge, but a month feels more achievable than forever.

Leslans, Andy, I hope you're doing ok, here's hoping it's a good week ahead for all of us.

silvergirl

Post by silvergirl » 02 Dec 2018 21:26

Hope molly is feeling better today Caroline. <:)>

Best wishes,
Sgx
you can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.
~jon kabat-zinn

Ruby&Tilly
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 02 Dec 2018 23:14

Hi all, hope y'all are sticking to your goals. ;)?

My goal is to stay AF until either I get my driver's licence renewed or Xmas day whichever comes around soonest.

1/233 (that's 1 day drinking and 233 sober)

Ruby xx
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
352/12 days - sober/drinking (14 April 2018 - 13 April 2019)

Kokoda

Post by Kokoda » 03 Dec 2018 03:16

Hi Everyone,

Oooh, I think dry January is definitely an option. I think I will do that with you Caroline.

Ruby, that's so good \:)/

Vic x
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make our world.

http://www.buddhist-temples.com/buddhism-facts/buddhist-quote.html

Jayjay

Post by Jayjay » 03 Dec 2018 13:25

Still wondering why I started drinking again.Fridays binge left me hungover and depressed for 2 days. If it was January Id jump back to 100 day kickstart. Like someone else said December is a tough time to be AF because of all the temptation. Not sure what to do. I used to love alcohol now I hate it with a passion.

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 03 Dec 2018 15:10

Jayjay wrote:
03 Dec 2018 13:25
Still wondering why I started drinking again.Fridays binge left me hungover and depressed for 2 days. If it was January Id jump back to 100 day kickstart. Like someone else said December is a tough time to be AF because of all the temptation. Not sure what to do. I used to love alcohol now I hate it with a passion.
There's no good time to stop, and equally no bad time to stop. The temptation is always there anyway, and so's your right and ability to exercise choice. I gave up in the middle of the worst time of year for me (May, the month in which I lost my neice to suicide, my brother to suicide, and my Dad to old age). I used to think I "needed to drink to cope" but I was able to stop once I saw this for the delusion it is. What's the point of telling yourself that you can't cope with temptation (when you know you can, because you have) allowing yourself to drink more and more out of control, and starting January feeling miserable and ill? If you hate alcohol, why drink it? Just to fit in with others? Sod 'em, and show them that you can have a good time without being pissed. You'll be hugely popular as the nominated driver anyway.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.
Completed 2018 challenge

Jayjay

Post by Jayjay » 03 Dec 2018 16:37

You're right boots. I found the depression quite scary and the thought of starting 2019 I'll and miserable is too much to bear. See you in 100 day kickstart.

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 03 Dec 2018 17:09

Jayjay wrote:
03 Dec 2018 16:37
You're right boots. I found the depression quite scary and the thought of starting 2019 I'll and miserable is too much to bear. See you in 100 day kickstart.
Good call JJ. Lot's of people think they can moderate and find they can't (me included, about a million times over!). The important thing is to learn from the experiemnt. Good luck with 100 days.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.
Completed 2018 challenge

caroline95

Post by caroline95 » 03 Dec 2018 20:25

silvergirl wrote:
02 Dec 2018 21:26
Hope molly is feeling better today Caroline. <:)>
Thanks SG.Molly's much better today, her meow is almost back to normal.I'm not sure if that's a blessing or a curse when she's waking me up at the break of dawn but I'm very relieved she's ok.

So glad you decided to do the 100 days now instead of waiting, Jay.Imagine how good you'll feel waking up on Xmas morning without that huge cloud of depression hanging over you.Best of luck, December is just another month really, millions of people all over the world will be happily spending it sober.

Busy day here, managed to do loads of stuff that needed doing and really enjoyed the sunny weather.Long may it last 8-)

Ruby&Tilly

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 03 Dec 2018 21:19

SoberBoots wrote:
03 Dec 2018 15:10
Jayjay wrote:
03 Dec 2018 13:25
There's no good time to stop, and equally no bad time to stop. The temptation is always there anyway, and so's your right and ability to exercise choice. I gave up in the middle of the worst time of year for me (May, the month in which I lost my neice to suicide, my brother to suicide, and my Dad to old age). I used to think I "needed to drink to cope" but I was able to stop once I saw this for the delusion it is. What's the point of telling yourself that you can't cope with temptation (when you know you can, because you have) allowing yourself to drink more and more out of control, and starting January feeling miserable and ill? If you hate alcohol, why drink it? Just to fit in with others? Sod 'em, and show them that you can have a good time without being pissed. You'll be hugely popular as the nominated driver anyway.
Jay, glad to hear you're doing the 100 days, that's how I started. (::)

Sally, so sorry to hear about your bereavements, it must of been awful, <:)>

Caroline, Glad to hear that your cat is on the mend. ;)?

I'm still plugging away 1 day at a time.

Ruby xx

caroline95

Post by caroline95 » 04 Dec 2018 14:42

Thanks Ruby, nice to meet you.Keep on plugging :D

I'm just plodding along too, I ordered a posh new coffee filter which arrived this morning, so now I'm going to indulge myself and buy some posh coffee to go with it.

I hope everyone is doing ok out there.

Ruby&Tilly

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 04 Dec 2018 23:40

Hi Caroline, nice to meet you too lol, enjoy your posh coffee. ;)?

I see you're Scottish too, I'm just outside Edinburgh.

Hope everyone is sticking to their goals. (::)

Ruby xx

Winkler
Last Drink Date: 06 Apr 2019

Post by Winkler » 05 Dec 2018 23:32

Does posh coffee mean you’re Scottish then? May be it’s a secret code :D

Drunk last sat, would prefer to have kept it at the chatty/happy level but of course carried on. Rubbish on Sunday but will be pleased if I stay AF this weekend as nothing planned socially. I’ve missed my productive and relaxed weekends AF after the last 2 but some of it’s been out of my hands. Well, no, I made the choice to drink of course.

Wish I cud hand on heart say I enjoyed sober nights out but I just don’t.
Alcohol is an addictive poison

caroline95

Post by caroline95 » 06 Dec 2018 10:03

Winkler wrote:
05 Dec 2018 23:32
Does posh coffee mean you’re Scottish then? May be it’s a secret code
I'm genuinely mystified Winkler, what's the connection between posh coffee and being Scottish, what's a secret code, do you mean posh coffee?Am I just being thick?My head hurts :D

I wouldn't fancy going out with other people drinking at all, I think my social drinking association is too ingrained.Luckily I'm a grumpy old woman now with no social life - every cloud and all that.Enjoy your weekend relaxing, I was hoping to go and see the Xmas market in Glasgow but the weather forecast isn't looking hopeful.Maybe Santa will send us a bit of winter sun while there's still time to shop 8-)

Winkler

Post by Winkler » 06 Dec 2018 14:31

caroline95 wrote:
06 Dec 2018 10:03
[quote=Winkler post_id=857300 time=<a href="tel:1544052775">1544052775</a> user_id=16503]
Does posh coffee mean you’re Scottish then? May be it’s a secret code
I'm genuinely mystified Winkler, what's the connection between posh coffee and being Scottish, what's a secret code, do you mean posh coffee?Am I just being thick?My head hurts :D

I wouldn't fancy going out with other people drinking at all, I think my social drinking association is too ingrained.Luckily I'm a grumpy old woman now with no social life - every cloud and all that.Enjoy your weekend relaxing, I was hoping to go and see the Xmas market in Glasgow but the weather forecast isn't looking hopeful.Maybe Santa will send us a bit of winter sun while there's still time to shop 8-)
[/quote]

:) it was just Ruby’s post following yours - she acknowledged the coffee thing then said she identified with u being Scottish!
I was just being silly

The social thing is the main problem for me - I did have over a year AF once, but in the end was virtually a recluse as I was so bored not drinking when I was out. Going out isn’t everything, for sure, it’s just a small part of life but I do feel I need that ‘bonding’ thing. I certainly get enjoying the grumpy old woman thing with no social life too, it’s quite empowering not having to fit in with others 😀 but I’m trying to have the choice and treading the line of drinking ‘moderately’ at planned events. For something I’ve arranged it’s fine (haven’t done that for a while) but fitting in with others’ plans makes it more difficult sometimes, especially them that like to drink (and who doesn’t 🙄).

And then it’s easy to fall back into the groove of where you were before with your problem isnt it? Still taking it day by day at times - weekends and before days off are my triggers but nothing beats waking up rested and sober without having to jump to anyone else’s tune. I wish my days were longer then.

Ruby&Tilly

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 08 Dec 2018 00:35

Winkler, you're obviously not a Scot or you'd know what posh coffee meant! I rarely socialize with my old drinking buddies these days, been going to the cinema/theatre instead, fair proud of myself tonight was at the theatre and my friend had a drink but I stuck with a soda and lime, I was driving anyway so didn't have much choice!

Hope everyone is sticking to plan A. ;)?

1/238

Ruby xx

Ruby&Tilly

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 08 Dec 2018 18:34

Got a letter from the dvla today, I need to see a government doctor before I can get my licence renewed, seriously fed up, it'll be at least another 2 months before they'll make a decision. :x

1/239

Ruby xx

Winkler

Re: Cutting Dow

Post by Winkler » 08 Dec 2018 22:01

Hi Ruby
I’m English with both Welsh and Irish heritage but I’m afraid I have no Scots in my soul at all and no idea what posh coffee means!

Did you know the name ‘Ruby’ has Jewish connotations? Judaism comes through the female line. For that reason its less traceable but very strong. I love that. It’s subtle.

In the last few years I’ve seen both the English and Scottish Crown Jewels.

Having compared them, I got an understanding of why the English are so hated. Second only to the Americans, within Europe. I haven’t travelled further afield but recognise that the Americans are completely immune to any deeply felt racial injustice. I also stood on the field where once was the battle of bannockburn when I was 7. It was eerie.

If i were you, I think I’d stay sober before your apppointment with the DVLA

It must have been a bad one?

I had a drink tonight. Don’t want to think about tomorrow 👌

Ruby&Tilly

Re: Cutting Dow

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 08 Dec 2018 22:32

Winkler wrote:
08 Dec 2018 22:01
Hi Ruby
I’m English with both Welsh and Irish heritage but I’m afraid I have no Scots in my soul at all and no idea what posh coffee means!

Did you know the name ‘Ruby’ has Jewish connotations? Judaism comes through the female line. For that reason its less traceable but very strong. I love that. It’s subtle.

In the last few years I’ve seen both the English and Scottish Crown Jewels.

Having compared them, I got an understanding of why the English are so hated. Second only to the Americans, within Europe. I haven’t travelled further afield but recognise that the Americans are completely immune to any deeply felt racial injustice. I also stood on the field where once was the battle of bannockburn when I was 7. It was eerie.

If i were you, I think I’d stay sober before your apppointment with the DVLA

It must have been a bad one?

I had a drink tonight. Don’t want to think about tomorrow 👌
Hi Winkler, can't say I've ever been to Bannockburn. (w) I didn't realise Ruby had Jewish roots, my Ruby was my first cat and Tilly is my current cat. I was hoping to have a drink at Xmas, not sure now, just taking one day at a time. :mrgreen:

Ruby xx