Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

Re: Cutting Down

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
silvergirl

Post by silvergirl » 25 Jan 2020 13:11

What ho Clovis! \:)/

Good to see you. I remember you well, partly because I credit you with putting me on the track of some ecig liquids that I could bear to puff, which in turn led to me getting off the fags and on to vaping which I have also since quit. I suspect the smoking might have killed me quicker than the boozing and I love spending money which I would previously have set on fire on things and experiences so, thanks! (Digbys were the purveyor of all things puffy, should any smokers who are thinking about vaping be interested!)

Anyway, I’m glad to hear you are managing to drink with some restraint when you do drink, and that you are not back in to a horrible cycle of black out drinking each day. I do agree that it’s healthier to cut down still further and to have a couple of drink free days a week though. Pop over to Darcys fitness thread in the physical and mental health section if you want - a couple of people just starting the couch to 5k, or doing some astonishing amount of steps weekly!

Breaking that first pint after work tradition might feel a bit odd for the first couple of weeks but substitute orange juice while you look out your trainers and in no time it’ll be as normal as breathing! :D

Have a good weekend!

<:)> sgx
you can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.
~jon kabat-zinn

Clovis

Post by Clovis » 25 Jan 2020 13:53

Hi Silvergirl!

Yes, I remember you well! Well done on the smoking - I’m glad that worked out for you as it did for me😄 I smoke a pipe once or twice a month and that’s it for me!

I used to do a lot of running and exercise but these days I keep putting it off. Even today, I’m looking out of the window and thinking it’s too miserable to go for a jog - I’d have been out running in a blizzard ten years ago!

I am in no way cured of my unhealthy relationship with alcohol but I would say i have learned to live with it and mercifully I seem to have lost the compulsion and desire to binge. I don’t know why this happened when it did after 30 odd years of being the party boy, but I know posting here had a lot to do with it!

All the best
Clovis x

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois » 27 Jan 2020 20:41

Hi Clovis, good to see you again! :\:

Have missed you, here, glad you can moderate your drinking now, I have read where others have been able to still have a drink now and again but not go off on a binge. I think if you can do that, go for it!

I often think that I wish that I could just have a margarita now and again, I sure do miss having just one or two and then having dinner when eating out, and then being done with alcohol for the day! Margs are hard to binge on because of the salt, so I never abused that so have better memories, I guess! Also, champagne, I loved champagne and surely do miss that taste and bubbles! Sigh!

Well, I don't want to encourage anyone, so I must confess that I probably would fall into the old habits again so better just stay AF! Guess I will mix a little bubble water with some grape juice and stay away from the real stuff! Cheaper and healthier! ()o

Anyway, welcome back old friend!

Deanna <:)> <:)> <:)>
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.
Only sobriety will help you achieve these attributes.

Clovis

Post by Clovis » 28 Jan 2020 10:00

Hi Iroquois!

Lovely to hear from you!

I am by no means cured of my unhealthy relationship with alcohol but I have greatly reduced the amount I drink.

I want to take a break and re-calibrate as I have done successfully in the past thanks to interacting with wonderful friends like you on BE!

All the best

Clovis x

stuckinbeer

Post by stuckinbeer » 11 May 2020 19:37

Hi All,

Wanted to say this thread is basically fitting me in my current status/aims. I want to address my drinking, but want to do that by cutting down essentially (at least to start with).
I've managed that in part, used to be much heavier drinker, but not fully (still drink too much).

Happy mediums are where it's at for me and my current strategy to drink - so glad to see it's not all about being 'completely dry'!
I feel that managing to reduce from nearly 2 wine bottles in a night, to reach where I'm now (several, slightly variable amounts of beer in a night) shows I can reduce. I just need to work on it further!

stuckinbeer

Post by stuckinbeer » 14 May 2020 18:01

Tonight is a classic example right now.

I'm sat here at about 6pm knowing I'm cooling a certain number of beer cans in my fridge. I really would like to only drink them, but that is a task I fail at often, and add a certain number on when I've done them.

I still anchor on a number lower than complete non-control (my old style of drinking), which is a good thing I guess... :|

By starting at a number, I only add a small amount to it most nights.

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 15 May 2020 07:51

That's good SIB.

There's also a Personal Goals thread which many use in pursuit of moderation, in case you haven't found it yet.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

stuckinbeer

Post by stuckinbeer » 15 May 2020 14:45

SoberBoots wrote:
15 May 2020 07:51
That's good SIB.

There's also a Personal Goals thread which many use in pursuit of moderation, in case you haven't found it yet.

Thanks SB, I will have a look over at that too! ;)?

Moderation is my buzzword right now, as an aim.

Yoni159

Post by Yoni159 » 03 Aug 2020 15:20

Hi iam 23 years old and i drink 2 beers every days its harmful? When i am not drink i have problem to sleep and stomach gases . Also sweat in my hand.. and feel depressed .. my first heavy drink was in 14 years old i was really passed out it was my powerfull high ever i felt like i am not in the reality.

Newt
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2014

Post by Newt » 03 Aug 2020 15:35

Unfortunately Alex it looks like you developed a dependency sometime over the last 9 years, I wish I had your wisdom at 23, I was in my 40's before I questioned my drinking!

May I suggest joining the 7 day challenge and blogging how you feel each day? You may find the support and experience helpful :)
Social distancing since 1966

Action

Post by Action » 24 Aug 2020 07:21

Although I have stopped before (only to start again) because of my fear of withdrawal symptoms I am going to taper off. I have spent some time reading how to do it safely so I am going to start there. Make a plan, write out a schedule, and go from there.
Reading advice I know that I have to be extremely controlled in order to achieve reaching zero units, safely. In a way I feel excited because I am making a start.
#38 on 2020 Challenge
Take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet.

martha

Post by martha » 24 Aug 2020 07:45

Good for you, Action. Keep posting and let us know how you are. You can do this \:)/
Waiting for bunnies to appear in the fields.

Action

Post by Action » 24 Aug 2020 07:54

Thanks Matha <:)>
I’ve just written myself a tapering off schedule and plan to be at zero units for 1st Sept! ;)?
#38 on 2020 Challenge
Take a new grip with your tired hands and stand firm on your shaky legs. Mark out a straight path for your feet.

martha

Post by martha » 24 Aug 2020 08:02

Sounds perfect - new month, new start!

Action

Post by Action » 24 Aug 2020 23:18

Okay, so planned on having 600ml of wine but managed 500ml and ate dinner. Funny, I didn’t want to drink really now I have decided to try and aim for sobriety but I know I have to be safe. Felt weird all day - probably just the anxiety of it all. :?
#38 on 2020 Challenge

martha

Post by martha » 25 Aug 2020 07:25

Well done, Action, and please keep yourself safe. Could you try tapering with something lower alcohol than wine, something that wouldn't be your usual drink of choice? Doesn't matter if it doesn't taste nice!

Hope you are feeling less anxious today <:)>

Action

Post by Action » 25 Aug 2020 12:09

Hi Matha,
Yes, I will take care. I have already measured this evening’s quota and will stick to that.
I woke feeling so much better this morning ... hopeful, calmer and determined.
I am going to concentrate on building up support and strategies to reinforcement my aim for an alcohol free life.

Edit. So despite having a power cut in the middle of cooking and managing to smash a chopping board into a glass of wine, as I went to move it (the chopping board), I managed to stick to 500ml this evening. Feel a bit wired right now, in bed and hoping to sleep in a minute. Still, pleased to have stuck to my guns and looking forward to even less wine tomorrow. I will admit that I felt tempted to say...oh now look what the gods have brought upon me...power cut...tampering with my wine measurements...but I held off and thought, don’t be such an idiot. You want sobriety so bloody well earn it! :shock:
#38 on 2020 Challenge

martha

Post by martha » 26 Aug 2020 21:29

Great stuff Action. How are you today?

Action

Post by Action » 27 Aug 2020 08:11

Hi Matha,
Felt great yesterday morning, after second evening cutting down but failed miserably last night. I gave myself too much to do in then late afternoon evening, had a bit of a disagreement with my partner and didn’t stop at the prescribed point. However, I am going to continue today where I left off at 400ml. I’m on my own for a few days so I can please myself, concentrate on me. I still aim to be AF by 1st Sept. ;)?
I did write a long self pitying post last night but deleted it, as it was just me vomiting out the thoughts in my head without filtering them! :mrgreen:
Onwards and upwards. ;)?

Edit: two units tonight so persevering!
Anxiety is through the roof though. Really hope that improves. :(
#38 on 2020 Challenge

Action

Post by Action » 29 Aug 2020 21:18

Only two units tonight ... so on track.
;)?
#38 on 2020 Challenge