SOS - Post here if you need help (No General Chat Please)

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
SHAKETHESHAME

Re: New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

Post by SHAKETHESHAME »

I want to, I really want to but I cant at the moment, I'm just drinking less and wait for the Allen Carr seminar...I know it is not magical but if it helped me stop smoking, he'll help stop smoking !

mags

Re: SOS - Post here if you need help (No General Chat Please

Post by mags »

hi, thanks to everyone who helped me through last night. This is such a fantastic place to be when you are really low. Took Linda's advice and phoned a mate from aa. He talked to me for an hour at least so after that I felt much better although still bleeding. Now I have a tiny scar next to my eye - much less than I deserve. have spent the day - well got up at 2 - thinking about how to avoid this again and phoning friends. Still feel shit and the keyboard doesn't seem to have recovered. Just wish I was a better person. Again thanks, hopefully someday I'll be able to do the same for someone :?

linda6666
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2010

Post by linda6666 »

Oh that's good Mags <:)> <:)> Small steps is the key...If you try take too big of a step you end up on your arse.... <:)> Many times in early days its like 1 step forward 2 steps back, but you will get there...Just keep trying hun...Hope the cat's ok tonight <:)> <:)>
I Have a Guardian Angel in heaven... I call him DADDY BEAR. I AM NOW 10 YEARS DRY AND LOVING IT,SO PROUD OF ME ;-)
We are all given a 2nd chance every day, it's just we don't usually take them . I TOOK MINE :\:

Jschroeder214

New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Jschroeder214 »

I really didn't (and don't) like the label alcoholic as this defines a whole person by their drinking habits. I can see from your post that you are a fully fledged busy person with family and household and work taking up lots of your time and attention. You just happen to have trouble controlling the amount you drink. Why not just decide to be 'someone that doesn't drink'. Believe me after a short while people get used to the idea and don't bat an eyelid.

Great idea Mandrake! Even though I know that I am an alcoholic, I hate labeling myself as such...it just makes me feel like such a loser. "someone that doesn't drink" sounds much more empowering!
There is no fear. There is only choice.

Robin

Post by Robin »

Hi my name is robin, havn't had a drink in 15 days. I drank every night, didn't cause problems, I always made sure everything was taken care of. My husband does not drink, I am so lucky he tolerated my drinking. I didn't get stupid or silly, always drank at home but enough until I could go to bed and go to sleep RIGHT NOW!! I have done this for years and don't know why except that that was the habit in my first marriage but my ex was also a heavy drinker. I quit for awhile when I married my second husband but didn't take long to get back into my old habit (expensive too) I always made excuses for why I drank, like - I like the taste, never woke up too fuzzy headed and didn't start to drink again until anywhere from 3 to 5:00 pm, never caused problems or went out etc. For some reason lately it started to make me wonder and I talked to my daughter, she said mom we all are worried about you even though you have never neglected anything or caused problems. One thing I did do was make excuses not to go somewhere so I could have my daily drinks and I did not like unexpected company. I look back now that was so wrong!! SO on my own I began to research withdrawals etc. (not fun!!) But needless to say I am now 15 days sober and am happy with myself and actually do feel better!! My husband is totally happy and so is my daughter (she is married and lives in Mich.) The problem I have are the cravings...that is so hard to get past and I get so tempted to have just one little glass, to just go buy some and then put it where it would be difficult to get when I wanted more....make sense??? SO far I have not given in but how long to the cravings last??

Jschroeder214

Post by Jschroeder214 »

It's different for different people.
It made me wonder if there was some type of physiological explanation for why we crave it after we stop, so I did a quick google search, and this is one thing I found:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_will ... _alcoholic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps!
J.

Jschroeder214

Post by Jschroeder214 »

And welcome to BE!:)

Katherine
Last Drink Date: 02 Jun 2012

Post by Katherine »

Hi, my name's Katherine, I am very happy to come across this website :D as I am pretty sure I need help to control and cut down on my drinking. I've pretty much drunk a bottle of wine, sometimes more, almost all nights of the week for years. But cutting down now seems to be an issue, I find it really hard to have nights off (cravings dreadful!) all I can think about is a huge glass of wine at home when I leave the office.
I think my 'danger zone' time is really between 5.30pm and 8.30pm when its so hard to resist opening the bottle, and once its open, wham, its gone. After 8.30pm the cravings seem to drop off a bit and I'm sort of on the other side if that makes sense!
Its good to read other peoples stories, and know that I am not alone. I am going to log on and distract myself with this fab forum next time I have a craving, hopefully that will help. So see you very soon!
Kxxx

Sofia

Post by Sofia »

Hi Katherine and welcome :D When I read your post, it sounded exactly what I wrote when I first got here, you'd be amazed !! The first couple of days are 'fun' (shall we say) but you'd be amazed at the differene after 45 days :)

Sof <:)> <:)>

Shelsey
Last Drink Date: 14 Jun 2013

Post by Shelsey »

II am trying so hard but everything is falling apart in my hands xxxxxxx everybody seems to have homes and partners, but I have no home, no partner, no money, no nothing, no support in RL and I am trying SOOOO hard...... but it is so hard

Hello all am here in little bits but here....... sorry just had an horrific fall out with my son and was at my wits end......

am back but its no good..... they tell me I have to get tests about the menopause because they think it is the problem, but I have been asking for months..... I have no home, no job, nobody really wants me around because I am such a f**k up..... I dont blame them, if I was them I wouldnt want to know me either.... I cant seem to be able to kill myself either, I took about 70 pills the other day and still my liver is fine and still I am alive..... I wish I was dead... but I cant even seem to do that properly..... I am sorry to be so down but I really feel so alone... I am so tired of it all..... but there seems I just have to go on and on living this horrible life.....

Don't phone the emergency services if they are anything like here - they leave you alone and crying - my doctor was useless yesterday - nobody wants to help or tries or cares....... Still won't test to see if I need HRT and I have been BEGGING for six months...........

Been living off vodka and coke since Monday - when I get sober period comes and I feel like I'm going mad....... Nobody helps or tries too...... What shall I do?

What a sad character – hopeless, desperate, drunk, suicidal....... and so lonely. That was me just over ten weeks ago.... and now I am happy and have a purpose and feel alive! What miraculous change has happened? I gave up alcohol.... there IS hope ... please hang in there. xx
Aka STB - new name, still as much trouble!
AF 2012 #32

Friends lost to alcohol:
Michael - 11/09/11 - You were a beautiful person and I will miss you so much

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Hi Katherine - and welcome!

I can't add anything to what Jos and Sofia have already said.

I agree completely with Jos - I remember that end-of-the-workday-must-have-a-drink feeling: but, as she says, it's completely habitual - if you can find distractions (like reading and posting here, for instance) you'll soon find you've left that habit behind. I wouldn't have managed that without BE.

I'll also second Jos in recommending the 7 Day Challenge.

Best of luck with absolutely everything, Katherine, and well done for deciding to do something about your drinking. Takes courage to take these first few steps - so feel proud of yourself! (::)

See you around the forum!
Mark
"There is no 'us' and 'them'; it's an illusion. We are all human beings, and we all have a responsibilty to support one another." Roger Waters

Katherine
Last Drink Date: 02 Jun 2012

Post by Katherine »

Hi guys
thanks SO MUCH for your responses, I dont feel so alone, and ashamed, actually feel quite tearful with the relief of meeting like minded people. I've never joined a chat room before! I will definitely check out the 7 day challenge, thanks for your kind words, I feel better already. <:)>
Kxx

kaloo
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2012

Post by kaloo »

Hi All,

Not sure whether i'm in the right place or whether i should be at all !! I suppose as i've signed up then i must be.

I've been feeling for years now that i am a heavy drinker and may need help. Its only now as I am a mother ( hes one ) am activily starting to do so.

I work full time and love my job. I also work hard and cant say my drinking every interferes with it.

I usually have a couple of drinks on a night time...either a couple of wines...or a couple of ( large ) G&Ts. I dont even like this and feel guilty about doing so !!...sometimes......if i am boreed during the day ( obviously not when i;m working ...only at the weekends ).....i will have a drink !...and if i dont think i am going anywhere i will even possibly have a full bottkle of wine !!!!

I know i have a problem as on many occasions i have refilled bottles of spirits just so my other half doesnt have a go for drinking too much.

Also its affecting my weight ...i have alwayas been around 9 stone.....i'm now more like 9 10 and its really getting me down !!

Where do i start !xx

linda6666

Post by linda6666 »

kalou1972 wrote:Hi All,

Not sure whether i'm in the right place or whether i should be at all !! I suppose as i've signed up then i must be.

I've been feeling for years now that i am a heavy drinker and may need help. Its only now as I am a mother ( hes one ) am activily starting to do so.

I know i have a problem as on many occasions i have refilled bottles of spirits just so my other half doesnt have a go for drinking too much

Where do i start !xx
Hi there hun <:)> First i have picked out 3 main point's!
Where do you start? you have! You have told yourself you have a problem and come here, so BIG well done there!

2nd your son, and you need to know your son needs he's mummy <:)> Better to start now when he's too young to know any different so it wont have any effect on he's little life ;)?

And where you have said you have refilled bottles, so your OH wont know about how much your drinking :o we have all done that hun, so maybe this is NOT what you would want too hear because it just back's up your suspicions :(

But don't worry about hun, hopefully its early days and you can nip it in the bud now!
WELCOME AND WELL DONE <:)> ;)?
I Have a Guardian Angel in heaven... I call him DADDY BEAR. I AM NOW 10 YEARS DRY AND LOVING IT,SO PROUD OF ME ;-)
We are all given a 2nd chance every day, it's just we don't usually take them . I TOOK MINE :\:

kaloo

Post by kaloo »

Thanks Linda666,

Ooops...looks like half of my post has disappeared !!

I also wrote ......i drink usually around 2 drinks a night...usually a couple of glasses of vino or a couple of Large G&Ts. My problem is occasionally ...during the day whilst bored......i may have the odd glass as well!!...if i know i;m not driving anywhere it sometimes could be a whole bottle of vino!

I work hard and its doesnt interfere with my job.....which i love. I have a brill family ...great friends....so why the hell do i do it !???

kaloo

Post by kaloo »

Sorry cracking up.....just read the bit you copied Linda ( only part of my message )rather than my original ....DOH !! ;)?

lisjane
Last Drink Date: 15 Apr 2013

Post by lisjane »

hi i'm lisa and i have a drinking problem. i need support to stop drinking all together before i mess my life up. i don't drink every day, but have recently started drinking serveral times a week to include during the day. no one knows yet and you would think my shame and guilt (which i have often) would make me quite, but it passes and then i drink again.
Lisjane

Sober feels, looks, taste, smells, and sounds better than drunk!!

The more time I put between me and the bottle the more time I want to put between me and the bottle.

KraftyKat
Last Drink Date: 28 Jun 2020

Post by KraftyKat »

(I know this is the SOS so I'll just post a quick couple of lines in reply)
Shelsey - don't scare me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really thought things had gone badly wrong but soooo pleased to find not the case \:)/ Brilliant post for everyone to see how things can be turned around so completely (::) xx KK
One reason I don't drink is that I want to know when I am having a good time.
Nancy Astor

George

Post by George »

Hi Lisa

Good to meet you and welcome to Bright Eye. Understand where you're coming from and why you want to stop. Why don't you start on The First 7 Days, you'll find it under Sobriety Challenges. You'll meet a lot of folk in the same position as yourself and they're very supportive and friendly. It's a good way to get going, try it ;)
“Now I’m sober and I realize, I didn’t drink to escape the world, I drank to escape myself”
― Phil Volatile, Crushed Black Velvet

linda6666

Post by linda6666 »

lisjane wrote:hi i'm lisa and i have a drinking problem. i need support to stop drinking all together before i mess my life up. i don't drink every day, but have recently started drinking serveral times a week to include during the day. no one knows yet and you would think my shame and guilt (which i have often) would make me quite, but it passes and then i drink again.
No hun this is never enough to make us quit, The addiction to alcohol is far stronger than we give it credit for <:)> .. But the good thing is you NOT drinking everyday, but left unnoticed it will more often than not creep up...So best to start now...Welcome hun.. <:)> <:)>