Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

SOS - Post here if you need help (No General Chat Please)

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Pineapple
Last Drink Date: 04 Aug 2013

Re: SOS - Post here if you need help (No General Chat Please

Post by Pineapple » 10 May 2012 21:27

Take Care <:)>

P x
If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain.
-- Dolly Parton

CJ
Last Drink Date: 22 May 2011

Post by CJ » 10 May 2012 21:38

needahand, just keep that drink at arms length. Try to go 10 mins. In the meantime rest! <:)>
"My urge is never to have just a glass even if the EAF pretends it is, my urge is to get wasted. When I am getting urges like that it is impossible for me to kid myself that I no longer have a problem." Pineapple

caroline95

Post by caroline95 » 10 May 2012 21:51

Post whenever you feel you want to, you don't have to put up a front here.There will always be someone around and we've all been where you are to-night - take care <:)>

mersault

Post by mersault » 11 May 2012 16:17

I'm lying in bed feeling sick and sorry for myself and the withdrawal symptoms are starting to kick in - can anyone give me advice on how to cope without medication?

I've been drinking 2 bottles of wine a night for the last week after managing to stay sober for the week before. It was the first time I had managed to stay sober without the need for valium and sleeping pills but now it feels like a distant memory and I don't know how to stop again.

Please help.

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 11 May 2012 16:24

Sorry you're feeling rough Mersault.

Keep drinking plenty of water or other soft drinks to get hydrated. I always found bed was the best place. If you can manage to eat something then that will help (little and often being the better option). Keep posting as long as you need to. Someone will always be at the other end. You are not alone. It will pass and you'll start to feel better soon. I hope there is no drink in the house? Luv TC <:)>
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

Boris Bike
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2011

Post by Boris Bike » 11 May 2012 16:26

I think without medication it's basically a matter of fortitude and acceptance of suffering.

You're going to feel bad. But it will go away. In time.

The simplest thing to do is to nurture yourself, be a bit selfish and just try to stay engaged with things that take your mind off it. Good film, good book that sort of thing.

Lots of people say that it's important to have vitamin B for a while after giving up. Others recommend various other things available at pharmacies. If you look in the health section and read on there (which will also keep your mind busy while you feel ill) you'll soon find what others recommend.

But you may find it useful to just tell yourself "I have a rotten cold" and think of this like you would that illness; time to rest, and... well, put up with it frankly.

One of the worst things, people find, is terrible anxiety; shakiness, perhaps sweating, feelings of hot and cold, whirring thoughts. I have posted elsewhere about a technique called "mindfulness" (which you could search for using the search box) to help cope with anxiety but there are many ways to tackle it.

In my first few days I basically stuck close to this forum reading non-stop and posting here and there. It kept my mind busy and made me feel that I was far from alone with what I was going through.

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 11 May 2012 16:28

Hi mersault, sorry to hear that.

Withdrawal symptoms can vary in severity and can become dangerous, so if you're any doubt about how much you are suffering, please contact a GP or other medical professional.

Getting back out of a drinking cycle is very difficult but it's certainly not impossible. As long as you don't require medication, the main thing is just to try to recover: use the illness you are feeling to prevent you from drinking tonight. Treat it like you would flu, perhaps: you need to stay hydrated - even little sips of water every now and then will help, if you can't face too much in one go. Try and make sure to eat. A warm bath, maybe, if you think it will help. And get as much rest as you can.

That's tonight dealt with. Tomorrow can wait for now, but when we get there, there are ways of occupying yourself and distracting yourself from drinking. Come here and post your way through the cravings - either here on SOS or on the The Wobble Board.

If you're thinking of the longer term, there's a thread somewhere called Gaining Traction (I think): it might be relevant, I think it's about how to get back on the road to sobriety. I'll try and dig it out for you, if it looks relevant.

I don't have the best advice in the world, I'm afraid, mersault, but I'm sure someone else will be along very soon with better ideas. Just wanted you to know I was thinking of you. [EDIT: see what I mean? Topcat and Boris are already bang on in there with some great advice!]

Well done for posting - shows you want to get back on track, and that proves you have the determination to do this, even if things seem bleak at the moment.

Very best wishes,
Mark
"Addiction doesn’t go away when we stop drinking." ~ Tai

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 11 May 2012 16:32

PS. The thread I was thinking of is called Breaking the Cycle/Gaining Traction. I've bumped it up or you can use that link to find it.

I hope it's useful.
"Addiction doesn’t go away when we stop drinking." ~ Tai

orangetomato
Last Drink Date: 04 Mar 2012

Post by orangetomato » 11 May 2012 16:39

Mersault,

I am just starting the process again as well... I drank 4 litres of wine per day for a LONG time, and because I live alone the Dr. put me on Oxzasepam (or some such thing). I did withdrawal once before only two months ago and withdrawal was a breeze... this time I'm trying it at home (Dr. still wants me on meds.... she has me on a weaning thing for four days)..... I hope it works as well again...

I can't seem to make it through withdrawal on my own because I get so bad I'll dry heave for HOURS, and shake so bad I can hardly get to the bathroom... and then I drink again. But I am hopeful.

Monitor your symptoms and if it gets too bad get to the Dr (easier said than done when you are in withdrawal though) :)

WE CAN DO IT.

Orange
If my dogs had thumbs... they wouldn't need me. Thankfully, they don't have thumbs.

mersault

Post by mersault » 11 May 2012 16:56

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice. It's just nice to know that there are people out there who understand and listen.

I haven't been able to eat properly since Monday - only after I've started drinking. I haven't eaten today. I had my last drink this morning when I woke up and finished off a bottle of wine from last night. I'm currently on sips of water.

Right now I feel like s*** - sweats, nausea, anxiety, depression. And know that I'm basically just waiting until it's evening to go out and buy alcohol again - I can usually last until 6 or 7pm. I don't think I can physically or mentally go 'cold turkey' at the moment. Have any of you successfully managed cutting down? I'm pretty sure that's how I stopped last time but I think I just got lucky because I hit a day when I managed to say 'enough is enough' and didn't have bad withdrawal symptoms. And then I started doing yoga and meditation which both helped me to stay clean. But I can't do yoga or meditation right now due to how I'm feeling.

I've had the intention of getting to the doctor for the last few days but haven't managed to summon the strength and will now have to wait until Monday at earliest.

I know it sounds weird but have any of you found cutting down easier if you switch the drink you've been on? I've been on red wine all week but am thinking of switching to beers tonight as they are easier to manage than wine and I might not feel as bad in the morning.

Topcat

Post by Topcat » 11 May 2012 17:11

Yes Mersault, I switched from wine to beer for a couple of days before quitting completely quite a few times in the past. Quitting with medication is, of course, by far the best option but, as that is not possible, at least try and get some B Compund Vitamins. Sorry, got to cut this short - dinner's burning. Back soon.
#5 on the 2020 Challenge

mersault

Post by mersault » 11 May 2012 17:30

Last Friday I had been sober for over a week and I felt amazing - healthy, active, sleeping naturally. But because it was Friday and because I was so proud of myself I decided to buy a bottle of wine because I was pretty sure that I'd be able to only drink half the bottle. And I did actually manage to drink only the half bottle but then felt bad on the Saturday for breaking my sobriety. Then my friend phoned my and told me to pick up some beers on the way round to a party at his. Which I did and had a good time on the Saturday night. But then I woke up on Sunday morning and started drinking again straight away kept drinking through the day and then bought 2 bottles of wine on the way home that night. This made me very ill on Monday. But that was how the cycle began again.

I can't believe how easy it is to fall back into the old pattern - I feel like the me from last Friday and the me this Friday are two completely different people. It just sucks, sucks, sucks. :evil:

mersault

Post by mersault » 11 May 2012 17:38

I read somewhere that 1 in 13 people in the UK are dependent on alcohol - strange that it makes you feel like you're the only one.

mersault

Post by mersault » 11 May 2012 17:55

Thanks Topcat and Nicola. I appreciate your advice. I think I will switch to beer tonight and try to have cut down by Monday when I can see a doctor. Wine is too easy to drink and I'm too stingy to pour any of it away like Nicola :)

Tomorrow I will try and get some vitamins and eat something during the day. Sunday is the last day of the football season and the supporters club I go to in London is in a pub, obviously, so I'll aim for that to be my last day of drink. I have a job interview next week so I NEED to be sober by then.

I'm glad I found this forum I think it will help. Have any of you tried counseling? My doctor tried to get me to go a couple of months ago but I wasn't sure about speaking face to face with a stranger or how much it would help.

Topcat

Post by Topcat » 11 May 2012 18:09

Yes, I've had counselling. Saw two in fact. Second was OK if you just wanted a chat, but she hadn't a drink problem herself and, quite frankly, it showed; she was useless. The first one was brilliant though and had been through it and every much so. I didn't stop drinking at the time, but she certainly "planted the seeds of sobriety" in my head. I would thoroughly recommend that you give it a try. You've nothing to lose after all.

Probably a good idea to taper off and see your Doctor on Monday. Good luck and all the best for the interview. TC <:)>
#5 on the 2020 Challenge

mersault

Post by mersault » 11 May 2012 18:11

I think guilt is the worst thing besides withdrawal symptoms. My family think that everything is fine with me and that I'm still working at my old job - I've had 5 jobs since the start of the year. All of them lost to alcohol. It's also getting harder to explain why I've left those jobs with each interview I go to. Before I only had to lie about why I took so long to complete my postgrad now I also have to lie about why I've been leaving jobs. I've been thinking about putting it on application forms but feel like it will have too much of a negative impact, especially when they find out it has affected my work in the past.

Has anyone admitted their problem to an employer?

mersault

Post by mersault » 11 May 2012 18:20

I think I'll stop posting on this thread as I don't feel like an SOS case anymore. It has really helped me through the last couple of hours.

Thanks to everyone who replied. x

needahand

Post by needahand » 11 May 2012 19:11

Just wanted to come back and apologise and thank you all for replying to me last night.Feeling sorry for myself today but I deserve it so am just going off to bed early. Thanks again.

Topcat

Post by Topcat » 11 May 2012 19:27

No apologies are needed. Enjoy your early night TC <:)>
#5 on the 2020 Challenge

Topcat

Post by Topcat » 12 May 2012 17:40

Hi Nico, are you strong enough to throw the rest of the wine away? The less you have, the easier it will be for you to get it out of your system and back on track. Are you able to do it?
#5 on the 2020 Challenge