Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

SOS - Post here if you need help (No General Chat Please)

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
loosebanana

Re: SOS - Post here if you need help (No General Chat Please

Post by loosebanana » 13 May 2012 01:45

I won't be able to get the tablets until Monday or Tuesday, but I have improvised, sprinkled a few drops of lavendar oil on the pillow and lit a candle, to banish those demons, so I think I will be alright. Just be a bit tired tomorrow.

Might have a bowl of weetabix.
<insert pathos here>

loosebanana

Post by loosebanana » 13 May 2012 01:52

Hi Dave,

My normal pattern of late has been to tune into R4 and listen to whatever is happening around midnight and doze off slowly, but I feel agitated, I have a repeat prescription for the pills but just didn't see that I was out.

End of the day I wasn't too keen on taking any form of medication but they have helped, hopefully will only be for a short time but I will listen to my GP.

The nightmares were so harsh I would stay up all night to avoid going to bed but I think I will be ok tonight, relax the mind as you say, think about natural sounds and natural things, none of the bonkers dreams I was having. And they really were disturbing, I haven't had them for weeks now so it's a question of forgetting that I had them, really.

Thanks for being around. Anyhow.
<insert pathos here>

Grendelslip

Post by Grendelslip » 13 May 2012 02:00

Sounds a good plan LB. That will create the right sort of mood. Weetabix should help as well. Look after yourself. Don't forget breathing slowly and deeply to keep things relaxed.

Dave

Oh, crossed posts as well! Yeah, R4 is good. I think Boris (?) has suggested it before.

loosebanana

Post by loosebanana » 13 May 2012 02:07

Thanks again, I will go to bed now, I have 'Albatross' in my head, doesn't get more relaxing than that. Waves and stuff.

Take care too.

Pat
<insert pathos here>

loosebanana

Post by loosebanana » 13 May 2012 10:00

Panic over, I slept alright, don't fancy food much but I think I will go out and get a chicken for a sunday lunch roast, potter in the kitchen.
<insert pathos here>

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 13 May 2012 10:02

Well done LB (::) (::). Enjoy your day. Hope it's sunny where you are too. TC <:)>
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

roledog33
Last Drink Date: 12 Jun 2015

Post by roledog33 » 13 May 2012 11:28

LB,
Sorry I missed your earlier posts when you were online. Glad to hear things are better for you. Have a great day.

All the best,
roledog33
An alcoholic will always need a drink; a drunk will always have one.

loosebanana

Post by loosebanana » 13 May 2012 12:06

Thanks roledog and Topcat (there's a cartoon pair!), it is indeed nice here, just been out shopping, treated myself to an organic chicken which is now smothered in butter and garlic and wafting nice smells from the oven.

Hope all is well for you today.
<insert pathos here>

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 13 May 2012 12:33

Hi Missnico, we learn from each and every one of our relapses. The thing is to do exactly as you are doing - get straight back up and try again. You'll get there. Treat yourself gently today if you can. Luv TC <:)>
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

mersault

Post by mersault » 13 May 2012 13:16

Hey Nicola, sorry to hear about the terrible things you have had to deal with recently and your slip last night. It was only a couple of days ago that you were reassuring me about my slip so I'm sure you can bounce back quickly. <:)>

I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow to get some medication, I've found valium the most effective way of staying off the drink even just having them as an option without taking them reduces the urge to drink. I'm still haven't stopped but I switched to beers the last couple of days which helped me cut down and today I woke up feeling better than I had all week. Hope you manage to get through today okay. Staying online on Friday helped me through a tough few hours of withdrawal. Post updates and I'll make sure I check back and reply.

You're not alone.

Take care x

George

Post by George » 13 May 2012 13:52

Hey Nicola

Sounds like you're having a rough time with it just now - but it also sounds like you are prepared to fight against it which is great. Get the kettle on, or the juice out of the fridge and stay comfy and stay determined to win as well, you'll do it <:)>
“Now I’m sober and I realize, I didn’t drink to escape the world, I drank to escape myself”
― Phil Volatile, Crushed Black Velvet

diamondoll
Last Drink Date: 26 Jul 2010

Post by diamondoll » 13 May 2012 21:38

Hi Nicola,
You can beat this - you sound really positive now Yaay!
Much love
Caroline
A day without wine is a day full of sunshine!

Catarina
Last Drink Date: 05 Feb 2017

Post by Catarina » 13 May 2012 22:34

Day 4

by csousa8 » 13 May 2012 21:19

Hi, everyone.
Just arrived here and cannot decide how to start without being plain boring...
I have been drinking regularly for twenty years now (I'm forty) and lately every day. Beer only, sometimes a little bit of wine, but really can´t handle that very well. As for beer, well, I had set a limit of six 33cl cans per day, but easilly "ignore" it and go as far up as sixteen...e.g. more than 5 litres...
I once stopped for one whole year, three years ago. Sometimes I will stop for a month just to prove myself I can.
I did therapy and seemed to work... but then started to omit my relapse from my psychologist, I am ashamed to say that. Basically, I am ashamed of my urge to drink and the failure on keeping my limits for more than a month or so.
For as long as I can remember, I drink basically to stop thinking, and then it escalates. I developed strategies to deal with daily problems, but then life goes and happens, like my mum has dementia, a close friend dies, anything seems to be a perfect excuse.
The thing I feel worse about is that I prefer to drink alone, to avoid the shame and/or guilt...
And, of course, I sometimes oversleep, am too cranky, argue for no reason, do stuff I really shouldn´t or wouldn´t if I weren´t sober, etc.
I have two children and, guess what, live with them alone. My love life, of course, was never brilliant either because of this habit or because of the effort to conceal it. My boyfriend for two years just broke up, when I left his house this week on my pyjamas to come home, without telling him anything, because "I heard my daddy calling me and I had to go" (my dad died in 98). I fully understand him, he has been there, but ran out of ideas and will not even consider our life back together with the alcohol problem. And I agree.
I do not wnt to feel like this for the rest of my life. I want my job, my kids, my family, above all, myself, to look at me with pride (they sort of do, but I don't, not at all...). I don´t know if I will ever be able to drink to a limit or if stopping is the only option for me.
I still have a medicine from three years ago, around here it is called Tetradin, makes you feel awful if you drink. But I am not taking it just yet. Decided some of you could offer some advice.
Being a single parent and overloaded with work and sick mother, I cannot attend AA meetings (never tried) or even therapy locally. Finding this forum occurred to me today, because I honestly believe I am not able to do this on my own.
I wish I could write more, but have to put the kids in bed, late already, and try to get some sleep (first days with no drinks make my nights a bit too long...). Will cross-stitch or sudoku myself to sleep.
Thanks in advance, I hope someone is out there who can reach.
Catarina

loosebanana

Post by loosebanana » 13 May 2012 22:58

Hi Catarina,

The lonely and solitary drinking is the worst of it, the pit, you are amongst people here who have done it.

You've started the first step. I agree that AA is difficult to fit in but there are other ways, the basic principles apply, just the next few minutes, an hour, a day. It's so hard to absorb and I hate myself for constant fallbacks but after so many 'experiments' I've reached the end of the line. I have to change.

It's taken me nearly ten years to get to this stage, I'm 45.

Life can seem boring without constant drinking but I would rather have boring any day. I embrace it. It's fine, I'm struggling but facing up to it.

join us as we open up and start the next road of our journey.

Peace
<insert pathos here>

Catarina
Last Drink Date: 05 Feb 2017

Post by Catarina » 13 May 2012 23:24

Thank you so much, I undersatand this is an sos thread, so I will keep posting in the challenge thread!
I was unsure where to post.
Wish you the best of luck on your own journey.
Catarina

Merrylegs

Post by Merrylegs » 14 May 2012 00:26

If there is anyone out there right now, I need help please. Police round my house today, no idea what tomorrow brings, v frightened.

orangetomato
Last Drink Date: 04 Mar 2012

Post by orangetomato » 14 May 2012 00:30

Merry Legs.... whywould the police be nearby? Have you done something you're worried about? I worry about the police all the time.... and trust me, they don't normally "hang out" to observe.... they just come knock on your door...
If my dogs had thumbs... they wouldn't need me. Thankfully, they don't have thumbs.

Merrylegs

Post by Merrylegs » 14 May 2012 00:39

Police are just v bad news. Apparently I am going to kill myself. I hid in the shed, I hid on the heath, but eventually you can't hide any more and then for one really quite small person they send round FOUR officers and eventually they decided to go away, after cups of tea etc. V v bad news

orangetomato
Last Drink Date: 04 Mar 2012

Post by orangetomato » 14 May 2012 00:52

Merrylegs,

I made the mistake of calling a crisis line... just for help and guidance... and POOF the police literally dragged me away in handcuffs and I was in lockdown at the local hospital for four days... I COULD NOT FRIGGIN BELEIVE IT. It was the most degrading, demeaning and tramatizing experience I've ever been through... They call that a "help line?" Wild horses will not get me to call ever again.... now I keep a chain on my door and find myself completely paranoid (so boy, that experience really helped).... so I understand where you are coming from. The secret is to remain calm, deny any thoughts of suicide and if they don't leave, ask for their badge numbers....
If my dogs had thumbs... they wouldn't need me. Thankfully, they don't have thumbs.

kevdw

Post by kevdw » 14 May 2012 07:13

I dunno why, but Canada is like that, they hate drinkers. I was in the airport minding my own business, sat waiting for a flight. They chained me up in a cell till the flight, cause I dosed off on the chair.
Help lines in other countries are OK.
Longest Dry Spell: 15 months
Drinking History: Fun at 14; Binges at 18; Benders since 33.