Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

SOS - Post here if you need help (No General Chat Please)

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Jjjj of Old

Re: SOS - Post here if you need help (No General Chat Please)

Post by Jjjj of Old » 17 Oct 2019 09:17

aprilstart wrote:
17 Oct 2019 08:49
I also feel that I am totally undeserving of support having had a lot of it over the years and letting everyone down time and again.
You've never let down anyone here, April, and you certainly ARE deserving of support! I hope you'll stick around a bit longer, even if all you do is read and chip in occasionally. There's no pressure. And here you don't have to try to solve everything all on your own. There's good, no-strings company here, if you want it? ;)? <:)>
"Addiction doesn’t go away when we stop drinking." ~ Tai

Shell26

Post by Shell26 » 27 Nov 2019 21:45

Hi everyone :\:
So it feels a bit strange coming on a forum to ask for help/advice, I find it so hard to admit I have a problem and tell myself every time this is the last one!
So basically I wake up and go to work every day and I feel fine. I dont bat an eyelid about needing a drink. As soon as I finish I drive home and think 'f**k it' and get a few beers/bottle wine. Sometimes its 4 beers, sometimes 2, sometimes just 1 but I just can't seem to resist that urge to have a wee drink after work. My fiance is the same. Anyone in the same boat? The funny thing is, if we have a night out on a weekend, I can take the car and dont think twice. I was at 2 gigs at the weekend and drove to both. It's just after work the problem lies! It's as though when I sit down with a beer or glass of red, my working day is over and i can relax.

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 28 Nov 2019 07:45

Hi Shell,
That was of (of my many) triggers too. You've come to believe that alcohol = relaxation, and that's a dangerous pattern forming. I really recommend reading one of Allen Carr's easy way books, they really helped my mindset.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.
Completed 2018 challenge

Shell26

Post by Shell26 » 28 Nov 2019 22:07

Thank you sober boots! I'll check the book out. Definitely got myself into a bit of a bad routine! Thanks got the link to the audiobook, I'll give it a bash!

Lisagna

Post by Lisagna » 03 Jan 2020 01:23

Hello all and happy new year.
I’m in Sydney, Australia. I’m desperate to stop drinking but I can’t due to severe withdrawals. I have my first drink at 5am and then continue until 11pm every day/night. I can’t see a doctor because of my job - I can’t have alcoholism on my health record.
No one knows that I’m an alcoholic - not even my parter of seven years. I’m drinking a bottle of vodka a day and then wine with dinner. I keep my Vodka in the bathroom - my partner has no idea.
It feels like I’m in a viscous cycle of trying to taper-off but hitting a point every day where I just think “f$#k it”. I wake up every day wanting, planning, praying to do the right thing but I fail.
Any advice is sooo welcome
Lisa X

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois » 03 Jan 2020 02:17

Lis, <:)> <:)> <:)>

Hang in there! We all have been at this point of desperation! We have all tried and tried and tried to quit and then said F*** it and continued drinking against our own will, in a way!

But, as all of us have found out, that is the beginning! The start just always seems to present with quitting and relapses and back and forth and back and forth, etc.!

I am so proud of you that you are sticking in there and just not fading away from BE! That means that you really DO want to quit and you really know you NEED to quit drinking!

Just calm down, take a deep breath and remember that any journey starts with the first step!

Then come up with a plan! Are you sure you can't get help with a rehab or a doctor that will keep your recovery secret? You would be surprised at how many health care people will go out of their way to help you!

Right now, you are all paranoid and scared with lots of anxiety, am I right? Go to your doctor or HCP and just open up and talk about it, you might just be totally surprised at how much help is out there!

Keep posting and we will help you through this! We do care!

Deanna
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.
Only sobriety will help you achieve these attributes.

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois » 03 Jan 2020 02:23

I will check back to see if you post again soon, then share with you the plan I finally adopted that got me out of the viscous cycle of binge and relapse.

And, your secret from your partner or others might not be as secret as you think. You might find lots and lots of help right in your circle of people you care most about! When you are drunk or drunkish, a lot of things are going on that you just are not aware of, enlist the ones you trust to help you! It works!

Keep posting!

Deanna
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.
Only sobriety will help you achieve these attributes.

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 03 Jan 2020 07:15

Hi Lisa <:)>

Very wise words from Deanna ;)? That is a very high level of alcohol that you are getting through and, I don't want to worry you, but it can be extremely dangerous to detox without medical assistance when you have that level of dependence. You need to be aware that withdrawal can result in an alcohol withdrawal seizure (it did for me). Please seek professional help <:)>

As for people not being aware of the level of your problem, as Deanna says, I'm sure they know a lot more than you think they do (they probably know where you hide it too).
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

Lush4life
Last Drink Date: 04 Jan 2015

Post by Lush4life » 03 Jan 2020 07:52

Morning Lisagna,
welcome, cant add much more than the very wise words already written, just to say
( and I don't say this lightly) your health is more important than any job; indeed sometimes its the job along with many other factors causing us to turn to this harmful form of escape.
You must now put yourself first in all this, before you completely fall apart I'm fairly sure given the amount you're drinking you must be feeling both physically and definitely mentally, quite ill.
When we do get well, you'll be amazed how great you feel, over time we forget how bloody awful drink makes us feel, we get used to feeling so wrung out it becomes the norm.
I would definitely do as TC says, seek a doctors help, just to add not all doctors are sympathetic with regards addiction, so if you have a trusted friend ( or come clean to your partner, doing just that alone can be such a weight lifted , honestly it can)
Take them with you, you may have to knock on a few doors before you get the help you need and yes deserve!!
I personally could not have got any long term sobriety without medical detox (to my shame I had 3)
I tried and failed for so very long on my own and suffered very badly trying to detox myself, so like has been said you are drinking a lot , I just wouldn't advise you do it yourself.
Take care, keep posting,that was a brave first step posting here, but you are among friends and you will get valuable support and advice from those that understand .
Sobriety is never owned ; it's rented
And rent is due Every day.

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad » 03 Jan 2020 12:17

Hello Lisa and welcome <:)>

I can't really add to the brilliant advice already given but do empathise and i sincerely wish you well. Your health must come first because alcoholism is very serious condition and progressive. No job is worth sacrificing your health for, and there does come a time when we get too ill to work anyway. It gets worse without proper treatment and intervention.

Hopefully the above responses will have given you hope, direction and made you feel less isolated.

Please take care,

Nicky xx
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 03 Jan 2020 12:48

Lisa <:)> I've responed to you on the new members thread. Trust that there IS a way through this. Alcohol addiction can cause us to despair, but it's totally possible to recover and be free of it.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.
Completed 2018 challenge