Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

The Wobble Board

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
fiz
Last Drink Date: 17 Nov 2018
First Sober Date: 18 Nov 2018

Re: The Wobble Board

Post by fiz » 30 May 2019 07:09

xxxkateyxxx wrote:
29 May 2019 22:42
Thank you Martha and Shadowlad <:)>
I made myself a chamomile tea instead.
My benefits stop in July for my daughter so I'm looking for a job so there's pressure there, my husband thinks I should settle for what I can get so that's caused a row tonight.
My 10 year old dog is poorly so I'm worried sick about him. I'm also not feeling 100%. Just getting this off my chest so I don't dwell on it before I go to bed.
I love BE and thank you for being here. I would have drank tonight if I hadn't posted xxx
Katey, I can’t add to what’s already been said, but just wanted to send you love and light. <:)>
Well done for not drinking, I know for us, this would normally be what we would turn too, to numb things, but deep down, we, more than most, know, it would only add to your problems. I hope your old boy is ok. <:)>
(I meant the dog, 🐶 not the husband. :lol2:

Stay strong 💪 we’re all right behind you. <:)>
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

xxxkateyxxx
Last Drink Date: 20 Apr 2020

Post by xxxkateyxxx » 30 May 2019 17:06

So much love to you all Shadowlad, Martha, Spats and Fiz <:)> <:)> <:)> <:)>
I'm so glad I didn't drink last night I would have felt much worse today. Still not on speaking terms with hubby we are both really stubborn.
My dog still isn't 100% if he's no better I'll be taking him to the vets. He's a massive part of our family it's awful seeing him poorly.
I hope everyone else is doing well. I'll be having an early one tonight I think depending on my Max bless him.

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad » 30 May 2019 21:17

That is so good you got through your wobble Katey absolutely well done ! ;)? <:)>

Sending much love back to you lovely lady, and hoping that Max has a speedy recovery. It really stings when our doggies get poorly doesn't it. Take care and well done again for reaching out and beating that craving ! xx
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

xxxkateyxxx

Post by xxxkateyxxx » 01 Jun 2019 20:36

After deteriorating rapidly my poor Max died this morning. I am absolutely devastated. He was 10 years old, we'd had him since he was 12 weeks. I'm wobbling like mad tonight just to stop this unbearable pain :(

martha

Post by martha » 01 Jun 2019 20:53

xxxkateyxxx wrote:
01 Jun 2019 20:36
After deteriorating rapidly my poor Max died this morning. I am absolutely devastated. He was 10 years old, we'd had him since he was 12 weeks. I'm wobbling like mad tonight just to stop this unbearable pain :(
Katey <:)> I'm so sorry about your poor, lovely Max. It's no wonder you're feeling devastated. He was lucky to have you and your love for those 10 long years of his life. Of course to us humans 10 years doesn't feel long enough :(
You will be ok and you wll get through this. Of course you're going to hurt for a long time and miss Max probably for ever, but you will be ok <:)>
It's only a few more hours until bedtime. Get through these hours as best you can and keep posting if it helps. xx
Waiting for bunnies to appear in the fields.

martha

Post by martha » 01 Jun 2019 22:08

How are you doing now Katey?

xxxkateyxxx

Post by xxxkateyxxx » 01 Jun 2019 22:14

I'm ok thanks Martha just really tired. I've got myself a pint of diet lemonade and put my pjs on ready for bed. I know I'd have felt much worse if I'd had a drink. Thank you for your reply Martha <:)> xxx

martha

Post by martha » 01 Jun 2019 22:21

Take care Katey and I hope you have a peaceful night's sleep <:)>

xxxkateyxxx

Post by xxxkateyxxx » 01 Jun 2019 22:32

Thank you Martha you've helped me a lot tonight <:)> xxx

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 02 Jun 2019 07:53

I'm so sorry Katey. I bet your Max had a wonderful life with you and I'm sure you'll miss him terribly - dogs have a unique place in our lives.
Alcohol and grief are a terrible mix. It distorts you emotions so that mourning, which is a painful but natural process, is stopped in its tracks and becomes a maudlin self pity. This is just as painful but isn't healing - and then you've got a big dose of shame and hangover on top. Connecting with nature is always what helps me most; what would soothe you?
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad » 02 Jun 2019 08:52

<:)> Katie <:)>

Im so sorry about Max too, and the speed in which it has happened. It must feel so painful :(

I was wondering if this article about grieving for your dog, and how to cope might be of benefit to you.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog ... -death-pet

Really hope it helps x

Thinking of you, do take care Katie xxx
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

xxxkateyxxx

Post by xxxkateyxxx » 02 Jun 2019 14:10

Thank you Twilight, Soberboots and Shadowlad <:)> It's unbearably quiet without him. It's affected me and my husband more than the kids.
I'm so glad I didn't drink. I know I wouldn't be able to stop if I started. I managed not to drink when my Nan passed away a few months back so I can do this. Thank you all for your kind words, it's helped me so much xxx

TrueState

Post by TrueState » 11 Jun 2019 17:48

hmmm...maybe not a wobble as such but I am feeling increasingly out of sorts a bit more each day almost like I don't quite know what to do with myself. I'm sleeping even worse than usual and I've had a few drink thoughts but nothing major although if someone were to march in and put one in my hand I can not say 100% I would pour it away. Anyway I think it's probably a combination of a few things and I know its just how things go sometimes and it will pass but I just wish I could be given a date and time of when am a bit weary now with it.

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 11 Jun 2019 18:54

TrueState wrote:
11 Jun 2019 17:48
hmmm...maybe not a wobble as such but I am feeling increasingly out of sorts a bit more each day almost like I don't quite know what to do with myself. I'm sleeping even worse than usual and I've had a few drink thoughts but nothing major although if someone were to march in and put one in my hand I can not say 100% I would pour it away. Anyway I think it's probably a combination of a few things and I know its just how things go sometimes and it will pass but I just wish I could be given a date and time of when am a bit weary now with it.
Hi TS, have you had a read up about PAWS? What you're describing sounds very similar to my experience of it. Understanding what was happening (and learning from going through bouts of it) gave me confidence that it does pass; you just have to accept it and focus on self care. My bouts lasted around 2-3 weeks in total, but I think it's very variable. It is an indication of healing though, rather than deterioration - a bit like when a broken bone itches horribly!

ETA: Also I've just been catching up with the Road to Abstinence thread and there's relevant thoughts there, do have a look

TrueState

Post by TrueState » 13 Jun 2019 23:36

Thanks Jjjj and SB. I know it's part of the healing process and just how life goes sometimes....wont last forever. Had a good read about PAWS which I found helpful so thanks for that too.

martha

Post by martha » 15 Jun 2019 07:45

Not coping. I'm sorry to post here but there is nobody I can tell. My mind has been in turmoil all week and I have been drinking. I'm afraid I've made myself very ill and I don't cope well with physical illness by myself. I have no appetite or hunger and am very sick when I try to take in fluids. I've gulped a lot of orange juice this morning due to thirst but again was sick. I've drunk some water now and trying to keep it down along with a beta blocker for the anxiety. My heart is racing and I'm freezing cold. I know this is my fault and I deserve no sympathy. I'm not wobbling due to wanting to drink alcohol. I really don't. I'm wobbling with anxiety and fear. :|

Nomo
Last Drink Date: 12 Jun 2019

Post by Nomo » 15 Jun 2019 08:24

Martha

Dont apoligise at all and its a positive step that you have posted on here this morning.

Im just a newcomer here but have had so many ups and downs over the years as well and drank out of desperation, anxiiousness, worry, whatever the reason i found it.

Each one of us is on a journey and we all have ups and downs but its about the here and now and what steps we take to battle the daemons we have. Stay positive, reach out for support, if you havent anyone to speak to look at samaritans or a similar organisation

Iv had a quick browse in general discussion but havent much time this morning but there was a great post in there about detoxxing and what you can do to help your body and overcome- i would have a scan through

Stay strong and best wishes :)

Winkler
Last Drink Date: 06 Apr 2019

Post by Winkler » 15 Jun 2019 08:35

Hey Martha, I’m sorry you’re feeling so poorly
Dehydration could account for some of your symptoms (thirst, fast heartbeat) but the anxiety, throwing up and feeling dreadful could also be due to the alcohol?
I hope you keep the water down, perhaps tuck yourself up and keep sipping until it passes?
If it doesn’t, you might have to see a doctor, I’m thinking 🤔
Truth waits for eyes unclouded by longing - Lao Tzu

martha

Post by martha » 15 Jun 2019 09:48

Thanks very much both. Will post later when hopefully a little better. Really feeling awful. :?

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 15 Jun 2019 09:53

martha wrote:
15 Jun 2019 07:45
Not coping. I'm sorry to post here but there is nobody I can tell. My mind has been in turmoil all week and I have been drinking. I'm afraid I've made myself very ill and I don't cope well with physical illness by myself. I have no appetite or hunger and am very sick when I try to take in fluids. I've gulped a lot of orange juice this morning due to thirst but again was sick. I've drunk some water now and trying to keep it down along with a beta blocker for the anxiety. My heart is racing and I'm freezing cold. I know this is my fault and I deserve no sympathy. I'm not wobbling due to wanting to drink alcohol. I really don't. I'm wobbling with anxiety and fear. :|
Oh lord Maria <:)> It's SO horrible, isn't it? Just keep telling yourself that it's like having a stomach bug - you'll still feel weak and ill tomorrow, but you'll be a great deal better than you are today! You just have to accept that you're ill, and the cause is irrelevant now. Keep telling yourself that it's passing. I used to find it helpful to tell myself that my body was reacting as if to a case of food poisoning - it's cleansing toxins, it's a natural process. I'd lay off the orange juice - it's acidic. Keep a glass of plain water by you and just sip it. Rehydration sachets may help if you have them, or what I used to do was have something salty, like bovril, packet soup, vegetable stock dissolved in hot water, miso soup. Don't worry if you can't eat today, you'll be able to manage toast tomorrow and then you'll soon be on the mend.

If you're still worried then contact the NHS drinkline, they're open at the weekend during the day for calls and online chat. You can get advice (which might include tapering) in confidence that way and it might help reduce that awful anxiety.

I'd also try to memorise the experience, unpleasant as it it. I did that the day I joined BE, and as soon as a drinking thought pops into my head I'm able to conjure up a powerful memory of my misery that day, retching up bile, sweating, riddled with fear and hating myself. It's a tool tool to have in the "never again" box - you really don't ever have to feel like this again.