Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

General Support and Chat

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
ChilliBird

Re: May General Support and Chat

Post by ChilliBird » 15 May 2013 18:59

Hi. I have been absent for a while because I don't like counting sober days - it makes time pass so slowly. I haven't had a drink since April 1. I am posting today because I am on holiday and I have been wound up like an eight day clock, ready to pop. I realised eventually that I always feel like this on the first few days of a holiday, and usually I would drink to drown out the anxieties. No chance of doing that this time, so it all has to play out. I've been feeling like I'm about to split through the middle, slowly and painfully. Learning about me though, so it's interesting at times too. Part of me is enjoying the process. I can see why people fall so hard. If I were to relapse now, I would have to get totally shitfaced, no half measures.

Hope all is well with you all. If things are good, drinking doesn't make them any better, and if things are bad, drinking doesn't make them any better.

jaffa21
Last Drink Date: 12 May 2013

Post by jaffa21 » 17 May 2013 23:58

Hi all I'm not really sure where I should be posting this but it's a just a quick question. I'm on day 5 of a community detox on Librium. I'm now reduced to 40mg a day and only two days left to go. I've developed a rash though today and wondered if anyone else had experienced this?! It's only on my back and one arm???? Sorry if posted in wrong place but any help appreciated. Jaffa xx
I am fighting this with all my might.

smudge
Last Drink Date: 02 Apr 2010

Post by smudge » 18 May 2013 00:07

Skin rash gets a mention as a common side effect of Librium on the wiki page for it :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Librium#Side_effects" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've never taken it myself so can't really help otherwise.
"I would rather be a non-drinker with the occasional desire to drink, than a drinker with the constant desire to quit."

Learn from other's mistakes, you won't live long enough to make them all by yourself.

I'm not a doctor!

smudge

Post by smudge » 18 May 2013 00:10

There is also mention of skin rashes as known side effects on this NHS page :

http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages ... 20capsules" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I would rather be a non-drinker with the occasional desire to drink, than a drinker with the constant desire to quit."

Learn from other's mistakes, you won't live long enough to make them all by yourself.

I'm not a doctor!

Garden62
Last Drink Date: 17 Oct 2013

Post by Garden62 » 18 May 2013 11:19

Hello Everyone~ It has been a while since I have been on BE and read or posted anything. There is no real excuse except that I have a new MAC computer and having a hard time with it. Like just now I was writing a post and somehow lost it. Anyway, I have not been very good at being AF and this time around it has lead me into personal and work related predicaments. I have gotten into the worst messes in my life and I am not sure if I can pull myself out of them. On a personal level, I think I can. The work related mess that I am so sure about. I have gotten my workplace into such a mess that I my have to walk away. So many people look up and count on me and I have let them down. I visited with my Mom last night and told her the story plus the drinking which she is aware of and she is so right. Drinking leads us to make poor choices in which we would not make if we had a clear and sober head. I am just hanging barely and I just don't know what to do or what I really want to do. I have talked to my doctor before and went to therapy for years and I just don't seem to get it. Sorry to ramble on this morning. Matthew

smudge

Post by smudge » 19 May 2013 14:18

I've found two articles I think people might like :

30 Things to Stop Doing to Yourself

and a companion piece :

30 Things to Start Doing for Yourself

Hope someone finds them useful or thought-provoking. ;)? :)

I'm not a doctor!

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 19 May 2013 15:01

;)? Excellent food for thought Smudge.
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

ChilliBird

Post by ChilliBird » 19 May 2013 18:57

Envy wrote:Hey Chilli, good to see you, glad things are going well. I just completed 3 months, but I know a vacation would be hard to deal with now. Stay strong, you can do it, and I'm sure you'll be pleased wth remaining drink free after your holiday is over. All the best, Envy
Hi Envy, glad to read you are doing so well. Are you still doing the challenges? I'm afraid I found it tiresome and counter productive to keep counting the days. Counting seems irrelevant if you intend to never drink again. I continue however to have interesting experiences of sobriety. I have learned that eating chocolate late at night gives me a hangover, or at least a nasty morning headache, and today I may have learned that vitamin pills, or one of them, causes paranoia and depression. If it turns out to be true I will be well pissed at Craig Beck!

Garden62

Post by Garden62 » 19 May 2013 21:31

A very difficult afternoon but not because of cravings, although maybe they will arrive since things have settled down. I learned a lot today about suicide and I don't know how many times I have wanted, but have never gone through with any plans. I just finished a first in stopping a suicide. A friend was prepared and I managed to call the police and have taken to a hospital. She said she would be okay, but I didn't believe her. She very angry at me and it is very likely she never speak to me again. I have felt many times hopeless, but not like she was. After last Friday and today, if I can't see the destroying nature of our addiction I never will. Matthew

achristop

Post by achristop » 19 May 2013 21:36

Hey Matt that is a very sobering experience to have gone through. There is a lesson there we know , but it is quite mind blowing how this addiction destroys us isn't it? So sad :(

Garden62

Post by Garden62 » 19 May 2013 23:33

Feeling pretty empty and hollow after all the events of the past few days. I haven't really had a chance to think about drinking. And not had anyone to talk to on the phone. It has been a tough latter part of the day. Hoping these feelings leave tonight and tomorrow is a better day. Matthew

free flow
Last Drink Date: 26 Feb 2019

Post by free flow » 20 May 2013 00:00

Thanks for the links, Smudge.

This is the one that I think should strike us the most
Start being yourself, genuinely and proudly. – Trying to be anyone else is a waste of the person you are. Be yourself. Embrace that individual inside you that has ideas, strengths and beauty like no one else. Be the person you know yourself to be – the best version of you – on your terms. Above all, be true to YOU, and if you cannot put your heart in it, take yourself out of it.

I always used alcohol to try to be someone else, and yet I never would accept the fact that on the rare occasion when I did let myself be me, sober that is, people did like me. I just couldn't accept it. Lack of confidence usually leads to alcoholism.

OverIT, use BE for what works for you. I have been around for a few years but have not posted much, but what I do find is that it helps me, at times immensely, and at other times not so much, but what I find is that as I read the posts throughout BE, I am impressed by the folks here.

There is no one size fits all here.

To be successful you need take small steps, which will graduate to bigger steps, but if you get the feeling that you just can't keep going, and you have a fall, a f**k it moment, then go back to the small steps and try again. As you go on, follow your instincts. Your body and your mind will tell you how good it feels when you've been AF for a while.

The one thing I have learned from BE is to NOT EVER GIVE-UP. It is never too late to start to improve your life. I am 64 and just starting to really appreciate my life AF.

Jim
The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you really are. - Carl Jung

free flow
Last Drink Date: 26 Feb 2019

Post by free flow » 20 May 2013 00:09

Hi Matthew, our posts crossed.

Sorry you're feeling low today. Is there anything you can do, a movie, a book music? What about a walk. Something to take your mind off things.

I just read your previous post and it can be very hard to accept that doing the right thing for someone will have a negative reaction, but you had to do it. You would not be you if you had stood by and let someone you cared about hurt themselves.

You did the right thing and I think you will find that some day she will understand that.

I hope things work out well for you.

Jim
The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you really are. - Carl Jung

jaffa21

Post by jaffa21 » 20 May 2013 19:00

Hi all. Not sure if anyone remembers me after a few posts and questions over the last few months but ive not been on that much lately.
I'm not sure if I'm posting on the right bit but had to share with you all that I completed my community detox yesterday. \:)/ (::) I had my first group therapy session this afternoon and I am feeling pretty proud of myself. :lol:

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 20 May 2013 19:06

Well done Jaffa. You have every reason to be proud of yourself. Well done ;)?
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

caroline95

Post by caroline95 » 20 May 2013 19:15

Congratulations Jaffa, that's great news :D

jaffa21

Post by jaffa21 » 20 May 2013 19:45

Thanks all. :) X

bumpydog
Last Drink Date: 18 Nov 2012

Post by bumpydog » 20 May 2013 22:05

Brilliant Jaffa! Well done! Keep it up! X
If you have one foot in the past and one foot in the future you end up weeing on today...focus on today!

achristop

Post by achristop » 20 May 2013 22:08

jaffa21 wrote:Hi all. Not sure if anyone remembers me after a few posts and questions over the last few months but ive not been on that much lately.
I'm not sure if I'm posting on the right bit but had to share with you all that I completed my community detox yesterday. \:)/ (::) I had my first group therapy session this afternoon and I am feeling pretty proud of myself. :lol:
Fantastic Jaffa. That's a brilliant post. You should feel proud too! Good for you! (::) (::) Chris

freefall
Last Drink Date: 23 Sep 2012

Post by freefall » 20 May 2013 23:36

Evening all, how's everyone doing.? Have I missed much?