Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

General Support and Chat

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Melanie961

Re: June General Support and Chat

Post by Melanie961 » 19 Jun 2013 14:51

()o
Last edited by Melanie961 on 06 Sep 2013 14:46, edited 1 time in total.

faith2be
Last Drink Date: 06 Nov 2018

Post by faith2be » 19 Jun 2013 15:13

Hi Melanie,
Thanks for the thoughts. I maybe phrased wrong. I feel like I ought to be able to ... I would like to be able to... I guess I would, as many would, like to be able to enjoy wine as something nice and civilised to have a little of with a meal. But we came undone on that, and do not have the required off-button.
I will talk it through with my OH. He is kind, and we'll fine a way that works. He promised he'd keep me safe, and try to help me re-programme my brain to stop (e.g. by dragging me off to bed after that one glass and not letting me go anywhere else... ()o :lol: :oops: )
But then I'd have to do all the day counting all over again.

Anyway, please peeps, don't hit me with a hammer for pondering this, it's informed and analytical pondering, it is not the EAF whispering "go on... go on..."). I have gone the very root of my drinking, and discovered what the real problem has been, and started a long and painful path of recovery on that. And this is why, suddenly, alcohol is becoming irrelevant. I am making it irrelevant by finding a real way to solve the issues, and I feel like freedom is in sight. I have written a load of stuff down, here, and on paper, and I only need to look back at my first posts here in, umm 2011, 2012... to see the score.
sorry this is all me me - I'll be in form again soon. Hang in there everyone
Definition of recovery:
1) "a return to a normal state of health, mind, or strength"
2) "the action or process of regaining possession or control of something stolen or lost"

Melanie961

Post by Melanie961 » 19 Jun 2013 15:33

Faith: I hope I wasn't the one to hit you with a hammer. :| I am not judging anyone.I know what you mean about nice and civilized,but there is nothing nice or civilized about the way I end up drinking.What I should have said is that when people give up other drugs it won't be in front of them all the time. :evil:

Drinking is everywhere you look,TV,movies,books,grocery store,etc etc.I personally think alcohol
is the hardest thing to give up and that we are all brave no matter what we decide. \:)/ (::) \:)/

I love to go to Starbucks every day.I love it for many reasons,I am around people,there is music,everyone is talking and happy.But the main reason is that there isn't any alcohol!

I am glad you are with someone so supportive,so am I.I am very grateful for that.I am trying to write down every day five things I am grateful for.

Mel <:)>

faith2be
Last Drink Date: 06 Nov 2018

Post by faith2be » 19 Jun 2013 16:47

Mel, dear <:)>
Definition of recovery:
1) "a return to a normal state of health, mind, or strength"
2) "the action or process of regaining possession or control of something stolen or lost"

achristop

Post by achristop » 19 Jun 2013 18:53

lorelei wrote:
achristop wrote:Hi Laura XX <:)>
Thank you, I needed that tonight xx <:)>

Well...XX Here's a few more then lovely Lady <:)> <:)> <:)> <:)> XX

ambeh

Post by ambeh » 19 Jun 2013 20:24

Hi I am new to this and am so glad I found it. I have many health problems, most likely due to alcohol, and I on occasion when not had too much I have felt better but was just wondering if any of you have also suffered severe leg pains and nerve pains all over? I was told by the doctor recently that I need to stop drinking as my liver function test was worrying but reversible. I'm petrified, but she also said that if I am going to drink, to halve it. I am so depressed about it all, I don't want to die. I asked her if I was and she said 'did I say that?'...she said no but I'm acclerating and that it could have been a different story with her telling me it's too late and that I now have a big opportunity to turn things round saying that my liver should make a full recovery by 5/6 months time.

Sorry to ramble but really don't know who to turn to.

Amber x

achristop

Post by achristop » 19 Jun 2013 21:04

Amber <:)> You already know what the answer is! You need to stop. Stopping for a while, to give your body and your brain a rest from it, can work wonders. There is no easier way, it has to be STOP! Once you've gone through the withdrawal symptoms and sobered up for a while, have a new look at your goal, where you want to go, but abstaining for 6 months isn't that bad surely? Good luck: Chris <:)>

ambeh

Post by ambeh » 19 Jun 2013 21:19

Hi, thanks, I know I need to stop, I desperately want and need to. When you say abstaining for 6 months isn't that bad, do you mean that's bad to do or that it sounds bad for her to say that? x

achristop

Post by achristop » 19 Jun 2013 21:31

No Amber what I meant was...surely stopping for a while cannot be that bad physically to try? You will get the cravings etc, but think of how much better you will feel. Regarding the liver, it repairs itself, but rather slowly. But it does repair itself. If you sit and think " I'm not gonna be able to do this! Live without alcohol? No way!" then that will lead to defeat. Thinking positive, drinking alcohol free for a while lets you get your brain back. While drinking your perception of yourself and the world around you is very, very distorted. Sober, you can think what you need to do. There's nothing drastic about giving it up for a while, believe me. It's a long lingering death if liver failure kicks in, and seriously, it ain't pleasant, and its not quick! Lean on us here and give it a try ;)? Chris

Elizabeth
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2012

Post by Elizabeth » 19 Jun 2013 21:36

achristop wrote:Thinking positive, drinking alcohol free for a while lets you get your brain back. While drinking your perception of yourself and the world around you is very, very distorted. Sober, you can think what you need to do. There's nothing drastic about giving it up for a while, believe me. It's a long lingering death if liver failure kicks in, and seriously, it ain't pleasant, and its not quick! Lean on us here and give it a try ;)? Chris
Chris's absolutely right as usual, try to think of this as a positive...an opportunity to turn your health around. You can do it and it'll change your life, not just your health <:)>
Just take the hand that's offered and hold on tight, this isn't everything you are. There's joy not far from here, I know there is.
This isn't everything you are.

Lab71

Post by Lab71 » 20 Jun 2013 01:06

Well my partner who quit drinking 6 weeks ago, (I quit too to be supportive) , had a one night relapse last week. She is doing out patient therapy. The therapist has decided she needs intensive out patient therapy. 3 hours a day 3 days a week for 6 weeks. I am still doing my best to be supportive without being annoying. I have been trying to get us out to exercise more and such to fill the time that used to be used to drink. It's hard sometimes since she is suffering with PAWS. Is there anything more i could be doing?

nonevernomore
Last Drink Date: 09 Sep 2018

Post by nonevernomore » 20 Jun 2013 07:34

Hi Lab

Sounds like you are already doing as much as you can. Stopping drinking yourself will be a huge help to your partner and all you can really do is offer your support and understanding, it's down to her ultimately. If everyone had a partner like you I'm sure many would find it a lot easier to stop. Good luck to you both. ;)?
Today is the first day of the rest of our lives

Weisir

Post by Weisir » 20 Jun 2013 09:46

I agree with Nonevernomore!

Exercise sounds good. How about playing board games? (carcassonne, Guillotine, Story Cubes etc) It's a nice way to fill some time, and active too! I know of quite a few easy ones that are fun, and best with two! :)
Just a thought.
The Sun / Is Free

A sort of blog: Oenochoai.com/road
Doing a diary there now during my stay at a detox place.

jane73

Post by jane73 » 20 Jun 2013 17:29

Ooh yes, and there is one thing in particular you could be doing lots of to pass the time ;)

Sorry - I always seem to lower the tone :oops:

Melanie961

Post by Melanie961 » 20 Jun 2013 20:15

Jane Miss Joanne: You girls are funny.But since you used the term "Baking",I am going to go there. :oops: I know this is very personal and no one has to comment except me.That is one thing I didn't think I would be able to do without a few drinks under my belt.Awkward at first and not as talented as I thought. :( But now it is smooth sailing. ;)?

On a different note,I am sitting here on the couch looking forward to a weekend road trip and realizing I am
not planning a strategy concerning alcohol.Oh how good this feels,I wish I could bottle this feeling for all
my fellow travelers who are at the beginning of this journey.

Mel. \:)/ (::) \:)/

Melanie961

Post by Melanie961 » 20 Jun 2013 20:34

Hey Slingy: I know exactly what they were talking about. ;) :oops: ;)

Read my post again my friend. :D

Happy Baking. ;)?

Mel <:)>

Blueberry
Last Drink Date: 31 May 2013

Post by Blueberry » 20 Jun 2013 20:36

your posts bring a smile to my face...you guys are funny :mrgreen:
Let Go(d)
#84 on the 2014 challenge

Melanie961

Post by Melanie961 » 20 Jun 2013 20:41

Thanks :) We need more laughs. :lol: Everything doesn't have to be gloom and doom. :(

Mel (::)

Blueberry

Post by Blueberry » 20 Jun 2013 20:44

Melanie, God knows I am so sick of doom and gloom ;)
Let Go(d)

Blueberry

Post by Blueberry » 20 Jun 2013 21:15

MissJoanne, sounds delicious! Have a lovely evening :)
Let Go(d)