Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

General Support and Chat

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Praejw

Re: General Support and Chat

Post by Praejw » 08 Jan 2020 18:19

Thanks Mark that's very helpful, I just thought it was a bit strange as it isn't something I've experienced before.
I'll keep an eye on my hydration and see if it goes away by itself.

Praejw x

Jjjj of Old

Post by Jjjj of Old » 08 Jan 2020 18:28

No worries, Praejw. I hope the saltiness passes soon. Let us know how you get on ;)?
"Addiction doesn’t go away when we stop drinking." ~ Tai

Bethan

Post by Bethan » 18 Jan 2020 22:06

17 days sober, I really didn't think I could do this. Original goal was 3 weeks which I'll reach in a few days, can I actually carry on afterwards?!

Those who know me, know I was very bad, drinking a lot every day.

Perhaps there is hope to change.

Best wishes everyone x

swordgirl.

Post by swordgirl. » 18 Jan 2020 22:18

Well done Bethan! \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ What an excellent run of days! Give yourself a huge pat on the back and think of a little alcohol free treat for yourself ;)?

swordgirl.

Post by swordgirl. » 18 Jan 2020 22:19

I am also terrible with my drinking, I am just going to keep going for as long as I can.

Bethan

Post by Bethan » 18 Jan 2020 22:46

swordgirl. wrote:
18 Jan 2020 22:18
Well done Bethan! \:)/ \:)/ \:)/ What an excellent run of days! Give yourself a huge pat on the back and think of a little alcohol free treat for yourself ;)?
Thankyou, it is hard isn't it! How are you doing? X

swordgirl.

Post by swordgirl. » 18 Jan 2020 22:53

I'm kind of ok. I have been drinking so much and for so long that I thought it would be really tough and I had no idea how I would achieve any sobriety. I could quite cheerfully get through the best part of 2 bottles of wine on a work night. January 2019, I think I had failed very early on, didn't even manage a week. This time somehow it is sticking. I was lucky that I had prepared food at the weekend so I could just eat as soon as I got home some days. I've got someone helping me with diet/exercise so that is making me much more accountable as well.

FuzzyDuck
Last Drink Date: 01 Oct 2013

Post by FuzzyDuck » 19 Jan 2020 00:05

Hey Swordie <:)>

It can just stick. I believe it's an accumulation of trying and trying again. I didn't really know I'd had had my last drink, I aimed to get AF days for more than a week and somehow didn't start again. It just takes enough to not bother each day, and think you may as well stick today out. Not getting Hungry Angry Tired Lonely is important too.

It's a journey xx
#21 in the 2019 challenge
Completed challenges: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Bethan

Post by Bethan » 19 Jan 2020 07:51

swordgirl. wrote:
18 Jan 2020 22:53
I'm kind of ok. I have been drinking so much and for so long that I thought it would be really tough and I had no idea how I would achieve any sobriety. I could quite cheerfully get through the best part of 2 bottles of wine on a work night. January 2019, I think I had failed very early on, didn't even manage a week. This time somehow it is sticking. I was lucky that I had prepared food at the weekend so I could just eat as soon as I got home some days. I've got someone helping me with diet/exercise so that is making me much more accountable as well.
We sound very similar Swordgirl. The 2 things I think are massively helping me are

1. Eating my face off inc sweets, choc, junk food.

2. Am reading a book called 'The unexpected joy of being sober'. I can really relate to the author.

Send positive vibes to you.
I pray and pray this could be a turnaround 🙏🙏🙏

Leslans
Last Drink Date: 10 Nov 2019

Post by Leslans » 19 Jan 2020 10:32

Hi peeps, gosh this sticking thing it’s just so true. It may not stick forever but there’s longer stints, a bit more confidence in our ability to do it and more times when we enjoy ourselves without it than with it. There’s no magic wand as far as I am concerned. I use everything under the sun to help me from yoga to long walks to facials and reading a good book. Anything that make me feels better about myself. All of it goes so hand in hand as far as I’m concerned.

Lovely to chat <:)>
"Don't look back, you're not going that way"

martha

Post by martha » 19 Jan 2020 10:56

Good to hear from you, Bethan, and so good to see your positivity \:)/
Bethan wrote:
19 Jan 2020 07:51
Am reading a book called 'The unexpected joy of being sober'. I can really relate to the author.
I love that book too!
Bethan wrote:
I absolutely believe it can be \:)/ I've seen so many people finally achieving sobriety, both here on BE and people around me, that I think, why not the rest of us? We can do it! \:)/
Waiting for bunnies to appear in the fields.

Bethan

Post by Bethan » 19 Jan 2020 13:18

martha wrote:
19 Jan 2020 10:56
Good to hear from you, Bethan, and so good to see your positivity \:)/
Bethan wrote:
Am reading a book called 'The unexpected joy of being sober'. I can really relate to the author.
I love that book too!
Bethan wrote:
I absolutely believe it can be \:)/ I've seen so many people finally achieving sobriety, both here on BE and people around me, that I think, why not the rest of us? We can do it! \:)/
Lovely message, thankyou Martha gave me a boost 😘

swordgirl.

Post by swordgirl. » 19 Jan 2020 18:38

Leslans wrote:
19 Jan 2020 10:32
Hi peeps, gosh this sticking thing it’s just so true. It may not stick forever but there’s longer stints, a bit more confidence in our ability to do it and more times when we enjoy ourselves without it than with it. There’s no magic wand as far as I am concerned. I use everything under the sun to help me from yoga to long walks to facials and reading a good book. Anything that make me feels better about myself. All of it goes so hand in hand as far as I’m concerned.
Thanks so much for taking the time to write this Leslans, what you say makes so much sense. I'm going to make a note of what you said and keep it in my phone for my little box of tricks/arsenal against the demon drink.

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel » 19 Jan 2020 22:26

This is kind of scary but the best bit of the article for me is:
"The surgeons hope the study will shift some of the stigma around addiction disorders. Addictions are still often seen as a weakness or a failure of willpower, which can prevent people seeking treatment.

"We need to change the way we view addiction, change the way we view alcohol use disorder as a condition in its advanced stages, in the treatment resistant stages as being driven by circuits in the brain that are not functioning properly," he says."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50858172
Rachel

Ed
Last Drink Date: 11 Nov 2018

Post by Ed » 20 Jan 2020 10:32

Thats an interesting article. Its amazing how indiscriminate addiction is. For someone to have so much control in most aspects of his life to be able to achieve at that level and yet to be as helpless in the face of addiction as anyone else.
Enough time wasted on this.

lucy63

Post by lucy63 » 21 Jan 2020 01:55

can anyone share how they felt first few weeks AF? i am about a week and a half AF and no to minimal cravings. yeah for that. but my moods are all over the place. lots of headaches-which i never get, tired grumpy and don’t feel like doing much. can anyone show me some light?!! thanks!!

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois » 21 Jan 2020 02:12

Yes, Lucy, that is how it goes!

Your body takes quite a while to adjust to being free of alcohol! Are you eating well? Are you drinking plenty of water?

Get some Thiamine and a Vitamin B complex and eat plenty of bread, cereal, crackers, broth, bananas, applesauce, fruits in heavy syrup, and any treats that you love!

Also, I can't stress enough, get some distractions going! Watch TV, read a book, take up a new hobby, crosswords, painting, coloring! Keeping your mind busy and distracted also helps in recovery! Set a goal to learn something new! Then your sobriety will be worth so much more!

Best wishes, Deanna <:)> <:)> <:)>
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.
Only sobriety will help you achieve these attributes.

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 21 Jan 2020 07:16

lucy63 wrote:
21 Jan 2020 01:55
can anyone share how they felt first few weeks AF? i am about a week and a half AF and no to minimal cravings. yeah for that. but my moods are all over the place. lots of headaches-which i never get, tired grumpy and don’t feel like doing much. can anyone show me some light?!! thanks!!
Hey Lucy, all normal! It takes quite a while to recover from severe poisoning. As Deanna said, get some vitamin B1, and also take thiamine - drinkers are deficient in both, and you need them to help your nervous system repair itself. It may help to read this:
http://mummywasasecretdrinker.blogspot. ... ourse.html
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Rachel
Last Drink Date: 20 Jul 2012

Post by Rachel » 04 Feb 2020 11:57

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51279255

I have met plenty of people in rehab who have drunk hand sanitizer and worse...
Rachel

Luckychap
Last Drink Date: 04 Feb 2019

Post by Luckychap » 04 Feb 2020 18:52

Hey folks. Just wanted to say I got to my year af today. Only with the support and help from the special people on here. Especially in April and May when I had depression. Thanks so much. To those folk just joined- you will be OK if you can stay on here. If you pick up a drink, don't be upset with yourself it's not your fault, just comeback the next day and you will be cherished x