Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

OLD new members introductions - (on the last page)

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Anna

OLD new members introductions - (on the last page)

Post by Anna » 02 Feb 2008 09:44

Its been snowing and all clean and white like this forum so thought I'd leave a few footprints here.
This is the first Saturday morning in, months possibly years when I haven't woken up
a) Stilll pretty inebriated or
b)Feeling like a chisel was being hammered in behind my right eye.
I don't feel particularly euphoric though.

Denial, formerly Martin...Kind of envy you fab night out though I think over the years I've probably had my fair share of those and don't envy the hangover at all. You could try some lemon juice, olive oil and a good shake of cayenne pepper in hot water.. It does help somehow, possibly because its so shocking!

Jan . Mon pot, you win...had the one 'medicinal Guinness' both Thursday and last night though last night I just slugged it back and then ATE SOMETHING! Usually once I've downed a bottle while cooking I'm just not hungry -I just open the next one.

SUE So glad things are working so well. I haven't talked to anyone about my problem. For me its just better to sort it out on my own but I know my children have been worried. Perhaps we don't really face up to things when we're drinking. Maybe this is why I feel pretty flat this morning ( lots and lots to face up to) rather than elated that I've hardly had a drink.

Good luck to all.

Jan

Re: Welcome

Post by Jan » 02 Feb 2008 17:57

Hello Anna
I envy you the snow. Has it occured to you that you are feeling a bit flat because your body is detoxing? You and I have almost matched each other drink for drink over the last week - and I am now getting detox symptoms (feeling flat, a bit shaky, very tired and almost as if I am coming down with the flu). An instant cure would be a large G&T but I'm hoping to ride it through.
Good luck

Anna

Post by Anna » 02 Feb 2008 20:25

Hi Tessa, Hi Jan,Hi MDS1 and Everyone

I'm a bit all over the place here: don't know if I'm feeding back, being general or what. Where is everyone...its like we've all gone to a different local. Jan I left a post for you on kudzu. I've just driven 12 miles to get a tin of corned beef and feeling a bit p'd off really.
Tessa its really good to read your posts and I really hope you don't feel left out. I think writing about things helps in itself.

Re the detoxing thing....I think I just need to do more. What the hell was that? I just hit the bold key and it put those b's in brackets in....also my computer just wished me a 'Merry Christmas.'

Be back later...bedtime and stuff to do.

Anna

Post by Anna » 02 Feb 2008 20:29

The b's in brackets disappear once the post goes on the forum. It just said Merry Christmas again. Jan its just horrible feeling so flat
I'm sure it will pass. Take care.x

sue
Last Drink Date: 10 Jul 2011

Post by sue » 02 Feb 2008 20:48

We all drink for different reasons. I don't so much crave alcohol if I feel secure ie. people around but Saturday night (I work weekends, daughter at fathers, so on my own Sat night) is when I feel so lost and anxious. Wish I could get over this. Went 8 days without but the dreaded Saturday night on my own............. amazing how many noises you hear either around the house or in your head that are never there when others are around. Does anyone else feel like this? Feel a bit disappointed cos I thought I'd sussed it! Last weekend was so stressful though, didn't want to go through it again so stopped off on my way home from work, the wine was really inviting and would certainly send those awful demons away!!

Tessa

Post by Tessa » 02 Feb 2008 21:47

Sue...i totally understand, same for me...dont loose hope, this is why its good to talk about it. I unfortunately have to log off now, but will reply tomorrow with my own very similar experiences to yourself...
have a good night everyone
Tessa
Life is full of Kings and Queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams..

MDS1

NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Post by MDS1 » 03 Feb 2008 05:55

Hiya Sue, welcome to our new Forum. :)
We all drink for different reasons. I don't so much crave alcohol if I feel secure ie. people around but Saturday night (I work weekends, daughter at fathers, so on my own Sat night) is when I feel so lost and anxious. Wish I could get over this. Went 8 days without but the dreaded Saturday night on my own............. amazing how many noises you hear either around the house or in your head that are never there when others are around. Does anyone else feel like this? Feel a bit disappointed cos I thought I'd sussed it! Last weekend was so stressful though, didn't want to go through it again so stopped off on my way home from work, the wine was really inviting and would certainly send those awful demons away!!sue

If it helps, I know exactly where you are coming from. loneliness and boredom for me are the trigger for alcohol. I guess with you Sue, saturdays are not good, with your daughter away, no one to talk to.... the booze is an easy option. Maybe next saturday you can look forward to chatting with friends on here all night, it may help.... and we do care :)

Just a suggestion. I know I need something to look forward to in life, otherwise one day blurs into another. Hope your Sunday is a good one, and your Daughter home safe and sound.
Marcus Duane Stokes with the IQ of One

MDS1

Hello Theresa!

Post by MDS1 » 03 Feb 2008 10:02

Hello Theresa,

Just a quick welcome message, don't be shy, say what you want, good to see you!

I look forward to your input, everyone here will be pleased to read what you have to say.

regards,

Duane

Theresa

Re: Hello Theresa!

Post by Theresa » 03 Feb 2008 10:24

Hi, thanks for the welcome.
Will be back, as I hope this is the Godsend I have been looking for.
The drinker is my husband who is getting worse by the day & I am wondering how long Kudzu takes to "kick in" as, after reading the posts it may be what we both need to curb this nightmare..I realise it's not a quick fix or miracle cure..but as he is in denial (not unusual I hear you say) I have to find a way of helping him slow down.
Maybe then he will realise the problem & get some help.
All advice more than gratefully accepted.
Hope you're all having a nice Sunday.
Theresa

MDS1

Post by MDS1 » 03 Feb 2008 10:35

I feel for you, as your husband is like us, lost in a world of numbness and bitter resentment.

From what you say Theresa, He wont even know he is in the chaos of stupor. Support would be good, please don't back him into a corner,let him know you love him,try not to judge. Let your man be a man. :)

The booze will get worse or lesser depending on how he feels about life.

Tessa

Re: FAO Sue

Post by Tessa » 03 Feb 2008 11:22

Hi Sue
How did last night go? I had to log off as I wasnt alone....thankfully. Going back to your original post, about boredom. This is exactly the same for me, I still drink a few glasses of wine if my boyfriend is here in the evening, but thats about it. However, when alone I start during the day and polish off 2 bottles of wine. Working from home doesnt help either, i know i wouldnt do this if i went to an office to work, but I dont and have to accept that. Over the weekend I sit and think that everyone else on the planet is out having fun, or at home enjoying the company of family and I am the ONLY person alone without company. How untrue that is, but its the self-punishing side coming out.

I think a lot of us "feel" or "believe" that life wont be the same without the buzz alcohol gives us. Same as smokers when they think of giving up. Its as if there will be nothing to look forward to anymore. I think thats what frustrates me the most, as there is of course the intelligent part of me (as with all of us on this forum) that KNOWS this is not truly the case. Life will be good, and if we could all do it in moderation and not be dependent on it, then we would really have made it. I realise its a long way to go yet, but i like to think that eventually we will all be there before things get serious.

I am similar to MDS1, in that i have an addictive personality with certain things. Food, because i just love cooking and that gives me the most pleasure in life probably. Cigarettes......the addict in me, unable to quit. Just realised thats it! I am not addicted to many things, but with the few things I am addicted to, I cant seem to get enough of it. When it comes to food I love to use good quality ingredients, fresh veg, lots of herbs and spices etc etc. I am not a fanatic, I love meat, fish....everything, and will happily make good old comfort food, I enjoy everything to do with food. But have the good fortune that I can keep my diet varied, because i am able to eat things in moderation. i.e. do like a good ol burger king once in a while, but really only once in every few months. Wish i could do the exact same with alcohol. I know what is good for the body and like to practice that in my everyday nutrition, yet......i will smoke poisonous cigarettes and polish off a bottle of wine without hesitation. I wish I understood how i can go from one extreme to another.

MDS1....whenever you cook, try to add tumeric to any of the dishes that you can, it goes with many things, so you can add that to your diet, as it is very good for liver cleansing. You can also add it to a mug of hot milk, and it is a great cleanser that way too. I think at this point, we all should feed off each other with good bits of advice on what we can do to support our livers. The natural way of course :) I`m happy to share anything I know in that area.

So....thats my 5 cents....as soon as my boyfriend was here last night, I didnt feel like i had to gulp down the vino and get a buzz. I stopped when i normally wouldnt have. I was good to myself, and wish i could be good to myself when alone. But its all about blaming "me" for my childhood and everything that went wrong. Like i dont deserve to be happy....and yes...i know i do.

I´d still like to hear from anyone that is up for a small challenge?

Theresa

Post by Theresa » 03 Feb 2008 11:24

Hi MDS1,
Not sure where this world of chaos & bitter resentment has come from!!
We have both been living the same life for over 30 years..both running our own small part-time businesses that brought in plenty of money, lots of time off to enjoy each other & our own pursuits, own house (paid for) lots of friends & great social life (none of our friends were heavy drinkers) no family problems..why would he turn into this "other person" 5 years ago and I didn't?

Possibly the reason I can't seem to be any help then, is that I don't know the underlying cause even tho' I have racked my brains..but I DO know I have to do something about it before he kills himself, loses his business entirely or drinks away all our money none of which he seems concerned about.
So I guess this makes me sound like a nagging wife, which probably makes him drink more..but one of us has to do something constructive & I don't think it will be him!!
God this sounds full of self pity, but I'll post it anyway before I change my mind
Theresa

MDS1

Post by MDS1 » 03 Feb 2008 11:36

Tessa, what a lovely post.

I am a passionate cook, in fact I fancy myself in the kitchen (even got a set of Chef's whites) My hobby is doing pig or ox roasts, for weddings/ partys etc.

I am pretty much a vegetarian myself, but I do eat fish and meat occasionally.

When you've seen as many animals killed as I have, you tend to moderate consumption. (I wish that would work for The Captain) I prepare meat for others with the proviso.... that I know where it came from, I know the Farmer by name, I know the Slaughterman.... and I butcher the Beast myself.

Pig and Ox Roasts available ... :D

Theresa

Post by Theresa » 03 Feb 2008 11:44

It's me again..
the one thing I forgot to say in my previous post is that I was hoping that Kudzu would cut down his drinking a little..just enough to make him THINK about what he is doing..I know the real help etc. comes later, but if he could just curb his appetite for alcohol somewhat, I am hoping that he can get a grip on the real person he is..who is a teriffic man..and possibly want to get back there.
Theresa

MDS1

Post by MDS1 » 03 Feb 2008 12:07

Theresa,

Your Man probably does know something is not quite the way it "used to be". Telling him that though, will not work,ever. If I may open up, and tell it Like I see it, Men are questionable creatures.

I Know, I am one. :lol:

Women are beautiful, full of grace- but have high expectations. Men are less likely to know what the hell is going on as long as they are fed and loved. Men In my view, are very simple creatures that were put on this Earth to love and protect. Precious little opportunity for that today. Take a look around, very few female tramps on the street.

Look after your Man, and realise we (men) are not as strong as you think, and need gentle support, from time to time. :)

Tessa

Post by Tessa » 03 Feb 2008 12:28

Hi MDS1

thats great that you love cooking, maybe we can share some recipes! I probably would go vegetarian if i were in your shoes, but i am not hehe, i love meat, but i do tend to cook with fish or poultry. I like a good steak once in a while, I get mine from another country, and they are really the best. A huge hunk of filet mignon........it is divine....the restaurants that serve good steaks are no competition for this meat. hehe

So how are you doing MDS1? Would you be interested in a challenge? a teeny weeny one, and there are no rules or regulations, if we do it then thats great and if not, well there is always another time to do it? Would be worth a try or?

How are the boys doing?

MDS1

Post by MDS1 » 03 Feb 2008 12:57

Ok Tessa,

Pray tell.... what is the Challenge? i am intrigued, but will make no promises :D

Tessa

Post by Tessa » 03 Feb 2008 13:09

am a bit p......d off as i wrote a 2 page answer to Theresa and it is not there. actually am VERY p......d off, i always write it in word and save and i didnt on this one, and it was long and now its gone........

ok, the challenge is this:

tomorrow.....no alcohol.....that doesnt mean no alcohol for the rest of our lives, or week or whatever, just tomorrow. I will find it totally difficult, but i am up for the challenge. Just one day MSD1 ;)

Part of the challenge is to stay online whenever possible and support each other. Even if either one of us takes to the bottle....before we do, we promise to post something and see if we can support each other, hour by hour or whatever. hey its worth a try, we have nothing to loose? We dont know what will work for either of us, so lets experiment. what do you think?

And......in the meantime while we are trying to stay clear tomorrow, we both cook something, and keep each other informed about how the meal is coming along, it will keep us occupied.

Tessa

Post by Tessa » 03 Feb 2008 13:13

p.s. no promises required........just a challenge, think challenge is the wrong word but cant think of a better one at the moment :)

MDS1

Post by MDS1 » 03 Feb 2008 13:22

Deal.

I have absolutely no money, so cannot by booze (or ciggy's) But I have the ingredients for West Country Faggots. ( Pigs Liver, pork mince, Lambs heart, beef mince, pigs kidney, a profusion of herbs and Bovril )

Dare you to make better Faggots than me ! :lol: