Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

OLD new members introductions - (on the last page)

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Wayne
Last Drink Date: 02 Mar 2014

Re: NEW MEMBERS - Please Introduce Yourself (on the last pag

Post by Wayne » 07 Jan 2011 10:56

Thanks 64 Turtles.... ( what a name)..... where the hell did that come from....lol

Hello Big Sis,

I to am new and i think the best thing for us both is that we recognise a drink problem, and now we are doing something about it, well done you, stay with it cause in a few months down the line when our bodies are clean our minds are not muffles by hangover thoughts.... ( Cant be bothered attitude's), and we have lost a little weight, we will both be feeling top of the world,... But we both are not stupid enough to understand there is a lot of tests and work to do in between. Stay strong.

You are on day 4 i am on day 10, it feels like a life time already but we must take every day as it comes...... as far as sleeping is concerned i too have had issues here but that goes back years........ not always an alcohol issue.

Good luck.

Wayne.

Big Sis
Last Drink Date: 13 Feb 2011

Post by Big Sis » 07 Jan 2011 11:00

Good on you Wayne. 10 is brilliant. To get to that seems like ages away for me. Funny how life goes so fast when you're always drunk or dealing with a hangover.

Hope to keep in touch. Think will be on here a lot this weekend to get through it. It is no joke, and has to stop...

Wayne

Post by Wayne » 07 Jan 2011 11:19

Big Sis,

There are very trying times ahead for us that's no doubt, and there's a weekend looming, as i have previously stated here i love a Sunday drink and that's at the back of my mind at the moment., but as the weekend draws closer my thought now have changed to a Friday / Sat drink...... see how this drink lark takes over us.... NOT anymore girl,its time to get over the 1st hurdle.

I didn't have a drink New years eve.... that was a good test as i went to a party and alcohol was in abundance,and the atmosphere very good but i said............. NO........ and drank Coffee........ Must say it was strange to see other people pissed and being very loud...........(that would have been ME)..... how satisfying and nice was it to walk home sober and to get up in the morning EARLY without a hangover, and my mind with CLEAR thoughts.......... so so so rewarding.

We can do this.

Wayne.

saraloo
Last Drink Date: 16 Sep 2011

Post by saraloo » 07 Jan 2011 11:36

Wayne,

Really great you are doing so well. New Years' and resisting a drink is really strong willpower - a good note for us to all to work to. I also find weekends the most trying, Saturday Nights ,but I'm hoping abit of distraction should do the trick to kick me out of that weekend habit.

Sara

coralie

Post by coralie » 07 Jan 2011 13:12

Hi another newby here. Stumbled across the site this morning. Have decided the time has come to finally and seriously address the drinking issues I have and hopefully from what I have seen so far here, this forum could be really useful.

My drinking has gradually creeped up to worrying levels. It takes 2 bottles of wine for me to feel like ive had a "proper" drink. I used to tell myself it was a weekend habit and that I deserved it after a hard week etc. The weekends were starting on a wednesday and ending on a monday sometimes! Ive lost count of the number of problems drinking has caused me. Relationships, money, health, work, family have all been affected. On reflection i am not sure why it has taken me so long to finally try and address it. I have now though and that is a positive I guess.

Today is my new start.

Coralie x

1sunworshipper

Post by 1sunworshipper » 07 Jan 2011 13:33

Welcome Bigsis and Coralie - nice to have you on board.

Bigsis - well lack of sleep I guess you have read and know it is expected. Top tips don't get frustrated. First few days of my AF went all night without sleep then being so exhausted the following day had to catch up on a few hours nap at a time. Now AF10 sleep like a baby now last night I didn't even wake up once which I did before just stick with it. Also don't make the mistake that I did and drink caffeine products tea, coffee, coke etc just adds to the problem.

Coralie glad you stumbled upon BE will be the best surfing you have ever done in your life - enjoy the succecss to come.

Now for everyone yesterday the Allen Carr book arrived - some of you may have read it or even looked at the thread on BE. Let me tell you we should all have a copy and read it ASAP. You don't have to be a bookworm finished the hole book in one sitting, bought it off ebay for I think £5. Can't go into everything it covered but just a couple of snippets for you which stuck in my mind at the time of reading.

"ALCOHOL IS POISON AND 1/2 PINT PURE ALCOHOL KILLS, PRODUCED BY FRUIT AND OTHER VEGATABLE MATTER WHICH IS LEFT TO DECAY"

"IF YOU HAD MY PROBLEMS YOU'D DRINK AS MUCH AS ME". "IF I DRANK AS MUCH AS YOU I'D HAVE YOUR PROBLEMS"

Keep up the hard work everyone you are all doing so very well. (::)
AF2012 #21 - challenge successfully completed
AF2013 #12 - challenge successfully completed
AF2014 #12 - 11 and a bit months
nothing changes if nothing changes

Wayne

Post by Wayne » 07 Jan 2011 14:17

Saraloo / Coralie,

Sara,

Thanks for you reply its nice to hear we are all more or less the same.

Coralie,

I like you have only stumbled across this site in the last few days but the support and encouragement is second to nun.

I haven't had a drink since 27Th Dec i have watched what i am eating and going to the gym almost every day, however like you the weekend is here and i like you feel i deserve a drink as i am back in work Monday..... but as all state we need distractions, and not get stuck in old habits, cause old habits have brought us to this forum today.

Good luck,

Wayne.

PS

This weekend is going to test us all.............. we can do it.

1sunworshipper

Post by 1sunworshipper » 07 Jan 2011 14:22

Hi Wayne, just think about each day at a time. Take your journey hourly and in small steps - don't be overwhelmed by the weekend. Please get yourself a copy of that book it will absolutely help you I promise. Remember distraction and avoidance whilst your confidence is building - you can do it my friend ;)?

Wayne

Post by Wayne » 07 Jan 2011 14:26

Sunworshipper,

Thanks for your kind words and support, i will make it a priority to get this book by Alan Carr, what is it called.

Thanks.

Wayne.

1sunworshipper

Post by 1sunworshipper » 07 Jan 2011 14:36

Hi Wayne,

No More Hangovers by Allen Carr. He has written books on quitting smoking and losing weight too - it will be the best investment you have ever made and all for just the cost of a glass of wine :!:

As I say my copy turned up yesterday, I got to reading it last night and finished it in no time at all. Such revelations, factual and seems to have planted many new seeds in my mind which I know will grow a wall of abstinence - well I hope it will. Good luck and let me know how you get on with it - I hope it has the same impact for you as it has for me.

Wayne

Post by Wayne » 07 Jan 2011 14:45

Sunworshipper,

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne

Post by Wayne » 07 Jan 2011 14:55

[attachment=0]
Thanks.
Attachments
cleave.jpg
cleave.jpg (3.56 KiB) Viewed 1027 times

64Turtles
Last Drink Date: 29 Sep 2014

Post by 64Turtles » 07 Jan 2011 15:12

Hi Wayne,

Tried to get simply turtles as this is how i get the lessons life sends my way but as it was taken then I added my birth year. 64 + turtles = you know.....look forward to seeing you at the two week sobriety challenge..........ciao
“Just remember - when you think all is lost, the future remains”

Dom
Last Drink Date: 16 Jun 2011

Post by Dom » 07 Jan 2011 15:32

Hi All,

I've always liked a drink, but for the last ten years it has gone beyond harmless social drinking and over the last 5 years it has gradually become more and more of a problem reaching new lows on new years eve and now I am thinking enough is enough. Over the last 5 years I've tried half heartedly to quit twice and only managed a single weekend (plus work days either side) each time.

I know cutting down simply won't work for me now. It's got to be never again. For the last few days it's been easy, but now my mood is improving and the memories of my last binge are becoming less raw and shameful I am starting to have doubts.

The big test will be saturday night and how to cope with the boredom. How do you cope? And how do you stay determined? I can keep reminding myself of all the shame and guilt and embarrassment that drinking has caused me in the past, but I'd prefer not to focus on the negative things.

Good luck everyone and thanks for reading!

Bela
Last Drink Date: 23 Aug 2009

Post by Bela » 07 Jan 2011 15:40

OK Dom, banish that doubt. It's the EAF or AV having a go at you.
One way around boredom, is to make a list of things to do and do them.
Go some place Sat night where alcohol is not availabe. Take a long walk Post post post here.
Really there is too much going on in this great wonderful world to ever become bored.
To focus on the positive, have a look and post on the the Postive Things I Notice When I Don't Drink thread.

Welcome BE. Don't waver, don't look back.
Bela
Whatever works.

Cravings stop going where they aren't fed.

Beverley
Last Drink Date: 22 Jul 2010

Post by Beverley » 07 Jan 2011 15:44

How great to see so many newbies all keen to find a new life, and yes, it is there just for the taking.

I've been here since last July and it feels much longer. This site will fill you with inspiration! It took me quite a while to find my way around. We are all friends here fighting for a common cause. If we fall we pick each other up, if we doubt voices will cheer us on, if we are fearful then others will tell us not to be afraid.

This is a truly magic place so I do hope you all stay and fulfill your dreams of a new life.

Love Bev x
Every moment is a gift - that's why it's called the present

soberatlast
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2010

Post by soberatlast » 07 Jan 2011 15:52

Hi Dom, and welcome! Hmm... saturday night. Well, maybe you need a plan of what you are going to be doing? Something that is as different from a usual Saturday night as you can make it. How about the cinema or theatre? Actually, cinema is probably better cause I don't think they usually serve alcohol there. Get a friend or family member involved in your plan, so you will have to stick to it! Worse thing you can do is sit at home (or in the pub, of whatever you usually do that involves drinking) and give the Evil Alcohol Fairly (EAF :twisted: ) every opportunity to visit you!! I'm booking cinema tickets for me and the kids right now... :lol:
"I walk slowly, but I never walk backward." - Abraham Lincoln
AF 2011 #7

saraloo
Last Drink Date: 16 Sep 2011

Post by saraloo » 07 Jan 2011 15:53

Dom,

I understand where you are coming from! The boredom of a Saturday night is usually what gets me drinking again. So long the same thing has been routine and it's got to stop. You've got to stay positive and think its just two short nights to get through and back into a new week where hopefully work, normal life, etc, will keep you occupied and focused.

Sara
Bela wrote:OK Dom, banish that doubt. It's the EAF or AV having a go at you.
One way around boredom, is to make a list of things to do and do them.
Go some place Sat night where alcohol is not availabe. Take a long walk Post post post here.
Really there is too much going on in this great wonderful world to ever become bored.
To focus on the positive, have a look and post on the the Postive Things I Notice When I Don't Drink thread.

Welcome BE. Don't waver, don't look back.
Bela

cat girl
Last Drink Date: 03 Jan 2011

Post by cat girl » 07 Jan 2011 17:47

Hi Coralie, lovely to have you here. I heard so much of me in your post... peas in the evil wine pod! I joined here only 4 days ago, so am all new to this... but there's so much support here and everybody is so lovely. Well done for taking the first step... I was shaking when I registered :( !!
Hi all fellow new members.... Dom, Ben, Wayne, 64turtles, Saraloo, big sis, all of you. Sending you all much love and support for an AF WKND! ;)? <:)> daunting,I know... but let's all try do it together hey? <:)>

dch3rbc
Last Drink Date: 06 Dec 2015

Post by dch3rbc » 07 Jan 2011 19:02

Hi all, hope you are all doing well - keep going!

Hi Cat Girl - couldn't agree more with your weekend comment. I've had a good week, but work has kept me busy. Now its the weekend I am home alone. My normal Friday night is out there, I know which town, I know which pub this week. It's oh so tempting, but I'm not broken yet! You hang in there too. You never know, we might surprise even ourselves.

Best wishes all and hope a sober Friday is more enjoyable than we could possibly imagine.

Ben.