Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

OLD new members introductions - (on the last page)

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Andy
Last Drink Date: 30 Oct 2015

Re: NEW MEMBERS - Please Introduce Yourself (on the last pag

Post by Andy » 22 Jan 2011 06:42

Welcome everyone,

Lots of newbies last night, take a good look around, the First 7 day thread is a good place to start, it can be found under the sobriety thread :-)

Hope to see you all around :-)

Andy
Journey started 22-Feb-10.

skinpup
Last Drink Date: 29 May 2011

Post by skinpup » 22 Jan 2011 13:18

skinpup wrote:
smudge wrote:
skinpup wrote:Day five. Kinda looking forward to the first sober weekend since I was on killer antibiotics years ago. Has anyone else tried glutamine supplement? Been taking 500mg twice a day for a week now and strangely don't feel the urge to get bevvied?
I take L-Glutamine that I buy from H&B (500mg once a day). I didn't take it when I first stopped drinking although I wish now that I had - I think it might have helped. I started taking it after a few months when my sugar consumption was much too high for my liking. It has seemed to help with sugar cravings. Just wondered where you got yours from and where you got your dosage info from? The H&B ones I take say one tablet once a day. Maybe it might help to take more but I do get nervous about taking higher than recommended doses of anything. Glad it is helping you, and congrats on doing so well! ;)?
I use Solgar 500mg capsules and currently take 3g a day split in three doses, having done a bit of research on the web consensus seems to be that you can take any thing up to 30 - 40g without any effects (apparently it is very very safe and the major side effect you can suffer from is stomach cramp) also that the capsules are an expensive way to take it at these levels and that powder is better, cheaper and you can get more in one go than taking capsule after capsule. I'm at the doc's on tuesday for my three month blood tests and will discuss with him, he's pretty sympathetic to the whole alcohol thing so hope to get official line. I'll let you know what I find out.
And yes been on it over a week now and this is the first dry friday night in years! I also take a multi vit - mineral and omega 3, is it the glutamine, the fish oil, the vitamins the positive attitude? Not sure but long may it last!!!! Roll on day seven...
might even be time to phone my folks and start mending bridges.

got this from men's health imagine they know what they are talking about...
http://www.mens-total-fitness.com/L-glu ... osage.html

smudge
Last Drink Date: 02 Apr 2010

Post by smudge » 22 Jan 2011 14:05

Thanks for that skinpup.
"I would rather be a non-drinker with the occasional desire to drink, than a drinker with the constant desire to quit."

Learn from other's mistakes, you won't live long enough to make them all by yourself.

I'm not a doctor!

Eadburga

Post by Eadburga » 22 Jan 2011 16:48

Hello,

I live in the UK, I'm 40 something. I was a social drinker in my twenties then started to develop into something more in my early thirties. I've been through pretty much everything, drinkwise that is. I've never been into drugs or anything criminal but have managed to make a complete misery of my life and those around me, I have two kids 12 and 8 and a partner.
I came out of hospital on Wednesday after a one night stay due to an oseophagal bleed caused by continous vomiting. I feel ashamed of myself and very depressed about it. Physically I'm in a lot of pain (stomach) and can't yet eat anything solid and even things like soup are a trial.

It isn't the first time I've been in hospital due to this problem, my story is pretty long and complex. In a nutshell, I thought I could manage drinking in moderation, and for a while I can do that, now I know I have to try to just stop completely. I am at the end of my tether and so is my partner, I hate myself for upsetting my kids.

I did talk to someone who came to see me in hospital, a counsellor, she gave me three suggestions, one being a re-integration into society type of project, one was a drug and alcohol help centre called NECA, the other a womens group, not specifically aimed at alcohol problems. This appealed more than the former two. The first, I know is not suited to someone like me, NECA, I've tried and they were helpful, nice people but it's not what I need.

I don't know what to do next, it won't be too hard at present as I couldn't drink now if I tried, I would physically not keep it down. But when I feel better I don't know what the hell I'm going to do.

I was given strong pain killers from the hospital and I already take a low dose anti depressant, but not for a few days. They gave me a big dose of sedation in hospital, librium I think.

What next.

This group looks like what I need as I can't take being preached to, no disrespect but I tried AA and it set me back months.

Look forward to chatting and meeting others. Sorry for rambling on, thanks for listening.

Regards, Eadburga
"Drink not the third glasse, which thou canst not tame,
When once it is within thee; but before
Mayst rule it, as thou list; and poure the shame,
Which it would poure on thee, upon the floore...."
George Herbert

AceGricer

Post by AceGricer » 22 Jan 2011 18:05

Good Evening Eadburga
You are very welcome. A lot of us have found this site helpful. I would recommend a good read of the information and articles which are available and then just go on the 7 Day challenge and go for it with other people just starting out.There are many threads here which you might find useful. I have struggled with the stuff off and on myself for the last ten years. I want ever so gently to suggest that you put away the feelings of shame.You are acknowledging the problem and have decided to sort things out.That is a very good move. I speak from experience when I say that not facing up to the real situation is a bad mistake. Well you are past that hurdle.Many of us here have at some point got our lives into a mess so nobody will be critical of anything you have done in the past or your current situation.
I would say if you find the counselling helpful then carry on with it. My own experience is that courses of Counselling therapy were useful.They helped me stop for periods of time and cut well down at others.
Personally I didn't find 12 step programs any use at all but it seems that some people on Bright Eye have had better results.I'm convinced that the best way is to understand why the problem has taken hold and use all of the techniques and non judgemental support available to us to sort things out.
I think it helpful to decide on a goal. Do you want complete abstinence or cut down to safe drinking levels?
You will certainly find the forum helpful.It seems right now you will need to take care of your physical health and best wishes for that.I have said this before on this forum and I will say it again - I honestly do not believe that any single one of us is a hopeless case.You are not and I am not!
I hope you will stay with us and work alongside us all as we sort out this aspect of our lives.
Take Care Now
Ace

Doris
Last Drink Date: 21 Jan 2011

Post by Doris » 22 Jan 2011 18:12

I really need help. I feel so ashamed of myself and I don't want to lose my fiancee but I can't seem to stop myself. I go on nights out & I end up drinking until I black out. Then I act like an idiot and I verbally abuse my fiancee. The amount of times I have woken up with no memory of the night before and he is really annoyed with me. I don't want to lose him. I feel so low right now I need help but I don't know what. My Mum says I am allergic to alcohol, when I drink I get a red blotchy chest because my body is stressed. I am so lost and feel so low :( x
The first thing in the human personality that dissolves in alcohol is dignity

Eadburga

Post by Eadburga » 22 Jan 2011 18:37

Thank you Ace for your very sound advice. I would much prefer safe drinking but for a while at least I will have to abstain. I will certainly read through the rest of the forum's advice.

Doris, sorry to hear you are having such problems. Hopefully we're in the right place now for advice and support.
"Drink not the third glasse, which thou canst not tame,
When once it is within thee; but before
Mayst rule it, as thou list; and poure the shame,
Which it would poure on thee, upon the floore...."
George Herbert

Doris

Post by Doris » 22 Jan 2011 18:49

Thank you Eadburga. Last night it was drinks with work and I just don't know what I did or said...my boss was there and I am worried. I really have to change x

Sheila
Last Drink Date: 16 Aug 2018
First Sober Date: 17 Aug 2018

Post by Sheila » 22 Jan 2011 20:57

Welcome Doris and Eadburga <:)>

Read as much as you can around the boards here and you'll find lots of inspiration, motivation, support and encouragement. No one will judge you, we're all fighting this together and we all understand just how hard this can be.
Jump in and post wherever feels comfie, you'll soon get to know us <:)>
Sheila
#4 on the 2020 Challenge
I will not drink again no matter what.

kateS

Post by kateS » 22 Jan 2011 22:01

Doris and Eadburga
your two stories are like all of ours - we are a community who realises we have a huge problem that we cant cope with on our own.We dont know why we have it and dont want it but its there so we talk to eachother and help eachother and dont feel so alone. We can find support and encouragement here because we all have the same goal.
Drink ruins our lives but together we can make a difference. And we try and support eachother in the same goal - to not be people who we dont want to be. Welcome and look round the sites as Sheila says- there is plenty of reading here. good luck you have taken a good step forward. Kate x

TommyFT
Last Drink Date: 23 Dec 2010

Post by TommyFT » 22 Jan 2011 23:30

hi doris and eadburga,
great to have you guys on board :)
When I was reading your stories they were all too familiar; everyone here knows what it's like to go through this and is empathetic. Don't beat yourself up about stuff; the fact that you are here is fantastic and shows that you have got the willpower to beat this. Contact me if you have any questions or want to chat,
Tom
Alcohol ALWAYS makes things worse, NEVER better

Doris

Post by Doris » 23 Jan 2011 00:36

Thank you all for the warm welcome, i really hope you guys can help me get through this. I want to be ME all the time, I don't want to be the horrible drunk girl EVER. I really dislike her. My self esteem is at an all time low I just hate who I am right now. I suffer from anxiety and I am sure alcohol fules this...I really hope yesterday was my last taste of alcohol, I guess that's up to me. I am so self distructive, why!?x

Bela
Last Drink Date: 23 Aug 2009

Post by Bela » 23 Jan 2011 14:58

A lot of us struggle with the why me question, Doris.
Sometimes it's better to put that kind of analysis on the backburner and focus on the present.
As one of my wise friends reminds me, it is what it is, deal with it.

Your last post shows that you goals are clear. Don't lose sight of them.
You are also absolutely correct that alcohol fuels the anxiety.
Everyday without you will be more the "me" that you are meant to be. <:)> Bela
Whatever works.

Cravings stop going where they aren't fed.

SuzeQ

Post by SuzeQ » 23 Jan 2011 17:42

Hi All, my name is Sue and i am a binge drinker.I am currently hiding away in my bedroom after a session 2 days ago. Am embarrassed and mortified and have some brusies from falling down in public... i need help. I think i will have to just stop as i find it hard to put the cork on after 2/3 drinks.. I hate myself at the moment and cringe when i think of how drunk and stupid i was... i googled "giving updrink" and found this site and looks like what i just need.. looked at AA too but not sure about that route yet....

damson

Post by damson » 23 Jan 2011 17:50

Hi Suze and welcome to BE. You'll find lots of encouragement and support from people who know what it feels like to be in your situation.

Many people find it helpful to join the 7 day challenge and sign up for a week off alcohol - why don't you join there? And of course you can post anywhere you fancy - just jump in.

Damson

SuzeQ

Post by SuzeQ » 23 Jan 2011 20:04

Thanks Rebecca and Damson, its great to be here. Was reading some articles and posts this eveing on the site and i feel i am not alone on my journey.... S

Wayne
Last Drink Date: 02 Mar 2014

Post by Wayne » 23 Jan 2011 23:13

Evening all,

Sorry been working until midnight all weekend, and i have only just got in.

Its day 28 tomorrow, 4 weeks off alcohol.

I must say feeling very strong at the moment, but still taking it day by day.

Hope all are OK and clean, if not let us know as we can give you support, that's what we are all here for.

Regards,

Wayne.

sickofit
Last Drink Date: 20 Aug 2012

Post by sickofit » 23 Jan 2011 23:31

i'm back :(

feel like such a loser - joined here in 2008 (michelle, you were supportive of me back then and i see you again!)... i was so motivated then - what happened...

like a lot of other mums here - it's the bloody boredom before the husband comes home...

i've made a twit of myself so many times, packed on 5 kgs over the past year - and am up to alarming amounts of alcohol starting earlier in the day...

i told my doctor on christmas eve, the relief - am considering antabuse? anyone experienced that? she ran some blood tests on me and the only thing that came back was low iron? how can that be, considering i've been on the batter for about 20 years!

i've drunk the last 2 beers in the house and am promising myself, this is it. sickofit.

i'll be back at wine o'clock

Ebc

Post by Ebc » 24 Jan 2011 07:53

Hi everyone. I am just startIng recovery. Cutting down is going ok but I know could do better. Does anyone have any tips for the guilt feelings? I am feeling very fragile emotionally

Ebc

Post by Ebc » 24 Jan 2011 07:57

The anibuse is supposed to make u sick if u drink. My stepdad used to take it. But I think u still get drunk if u drink