Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

The Negative Side To Drinking

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Re: The Negative Side To Drinking

Post by Topcat » 01 Feb 2013 07:14

It soon mounts up MissJ. I added a new TV to the list yesterday ;)?
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

ashley2011
Last Drink Date: 01 Jan 1984

Post by ashley2011 » 04 Feb 2013 08:19

I feel not feeling well and feel ugly after being drunk.

MrsCrumbs
Last Drink Date: 15 Feb 2013

Post by MrsCrumbs » 04 Feb 2013 11:54

archergirl wrote:Cost - I worked out that I was spending about £70 a week on alcohol. Oh and that's not counting all the takeaways I bought as a result of the drinking...all in all it was around £100 a week. What a disgusting waste of money and what a disgusting way of spending my time, drunk and living on fast food :(
This!^^^
I'm always moaning about not having enough money to do something or the other & about how fat I am, yet this is exactly what I do.
Topcat wrote:I kept a "wine wallet" and at each milestone I treated myself to something out of it. Great incentive and I got lovely goodies as reward for my efforts - win, win situation ;)?
This is a good idea. I am actually frightened to work out how much money I spend.

3kids
Last Drink Date: 13 Dec 2012

Post by 3kids » 06 Feb 2013 11:35

All my relationships suck!
That which will live on when I'm gone...
...3 beautiful human beings full of meaningful things.

MT Glass

Post by MT Glass » 10 Feb 2013 23:33

If ever there was a story that showed the negative side of drinking its the Gazza story seeing him in that video on the link and comparing it to how well he looked not so long ago scary.Lets hope he pulls through.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... eveal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PandaGirl
Last Drink Date: 31 Jan 2014

Post by PandaGirl » 11 Feb 2013 00:45

I heard he's been through rehab several times now. Proves how hard it is to give the stuff up for good :(
“In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.” – Bill Cosby

loosebanana

Post by loosebanana » 11 Feb 2013 01:09

Good for Gary Linnekar and Chris Evans for immediately funding his trip to treatment.

Personally I'm amazed he still has a passport and things like that, but it sounds like just another drying out period.

He will just do it again and again, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed and he has lost pretty much everything but can still drink, he needs proper, good quality, long term care, and he needs to stop talking about the glory days.
<insert pathos here>

smudge
Last Drink Date: 02 Apr 2010

Post by smudge » 11 Feb 2013 01:24

I could only watch about 30 seconds of that video of Paul Gascoigne. Horrifying and scary!
"I would rather be a non-drinker with the occasional desire to drink, than a drinker with the constant desire to quit."

Learn from other's mistakes, you won't live long enough to make them all by yourself.

I'm not a doctor!

Finley

Post by Finley » 11 Feb 2013 08:37

I just watched a bit of the video clip. I can't help thinking that someone, somewhere, must be making money out of this. It was very obvious from the beginning that he could barely stand up and if the people around him were truly friends/supporters, they surely would have persuaded him - or even forbidden and prevented him - from appearing in public like that. I've never been a fan but to put someone's tragic downfall on show in that way is horrible
I want to be the best me I can be ...

pippa86

Post by pippa86 » 11 Feb 2013 10:19

Sat here in tears after watching the Gazza clip.
Painfully sad to catch.
There for the grace of God....

Biggles

Post by Biggles » 11 Feb 2013 10:21

I absolutely agree with you Finley.
How the hell can they wheel some-one in that state out to answer questions...some friends :|
( Note to self.... ) GO AND DO SOMETHING !!!!
#31 for 2013.

Lottie38
Last Drink Date: 03 Aug 2013

Post by Lottie38 » 11 Feb 2013 10:32

I read something hat seemed to be saying he'd gone cold turkey and that's why everything was filing. But surely they wouldn't let him do that in proper rehab?? We all know how dangerous that is.

Agreed though - I could only watch a bit of the clip its shocking.

Xx
You can't pour from an empty cup.

Lottie38
Last Drink Date: 03 Aug 2013

Post by Lottie38 » 11 Feb 2013 10:43

Bless him I hope he pulls through. Keep us posted - don't hear anything here in oz :(
You can't pour from an empty cup.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » 11 Feb 2013 15:30

What got me about it was that the audience were clapping and laughing like there was nothing wrong and he definitely shouldn't have been put on stage by his manager or whoever arranged it.

Disgusting to be profiting off someone else's misery.

loosebanana

Post by loosebanana » 11 Feb 2013 15:42

It's Murdoch and his pals, they have a lot to answer for, and I don't trust what they write. No healthcare organisation would let a man like that suffer drastic withdrawal. Or, his friends?

He should have been straight into hospital here.
<insert pathos here>

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » 11 Feb 2013 15:56

LB, has he got any real friends or just a lot of hangers on? Probably hangers on who'll be only too happy to sell thier stories once he's gone [I hope it doesn't come to that though].

I mean, look at Mitch Winehouse...he's done nothing but profit from his own daughters death. Auctioning off her clothes, writing books about her. If a father can do that, a few hangers on aren't going to lose sleep over shoving Gascoigne out on stage.

MT Glass

Post by MT Glass » 11 Feb 2013 22:47

Yes its a very difficult video to watch and I agree people are using him having said that Jimmy Greaves writes a interesting (and sad) article in the Mirror about his problems particularly that he finds it hard to say no to offers of apperances and he loves to be the centre of attention its well worth a raed.

I have read both of Gazza's books and he really has had huge support from many different areas over the years and sad to say that I fear Jimmy is right and as time goes on the chances of him pulling through are reducing I REALLY HOPE I AM WRONG THOUGH.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ji ... ne-1646950" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by MT Glass on 12 Feb 2013 00:36, edited 1 time in total.

Biggles

Post by Biggles » 11 Feb 2013 23:26

That's a really good piece by Jimmy Greaves....Very intelligent and humane.... and very sad.
( Note to self.... ) GO AND DO SOMETHING !!!!
#31 for 2013.

loosebanana

Post by loosebanana » 12 Feb 2013 04:50

Excellent article thanks for posting, good on you Jimmy for saying it like it is, it appears that although he disappeared from the limelight he pieced his life back together and found comfort in small things. Something we could all learn from.

The sad fact is that for many alcoholics there is no coming back, and not much true friendship. I have no reason to have drunk the way I have except for just being an alcoholic. I haven't had a bad life or anything, and yet I've nearly destroyed myself with drink. It is only by realising that my recovery has to come first that I have started making proper inroads with it.

I still struggle, but I am coming to terms with it.
<insert pathos here>

loosebanana

Post by loosebanana » 12 Feb 2013 10:31

I have no problems with AA, if it's what you've got to do it's what you've got to do.

Strength, experience, and hope. And once past the initial weirdness you just realise they are people like you and me, forget the whole esoteric message. It's just people that have been to hell and back with it.

No egos or someone telling you off, just people that have recovered.
<insert pathos here>