Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Wolfie

Re: New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Wolfie » 20 Mar 2013 10:13

Hi,

I'm Wolfie. I decided to join up because I have taken so much encouragement from posts on this site.

Thanks to everyone.

I am on day 10 of not having a drink! I can't believe I have got to double figures and I'm really proud of myself

Looking forward to contributing.

Wolfie

caroline95

Post by caroline95 » 20 Mar 2013 10:20

Hi Wolfie, welcome to BE.Ten days is fantastic - I felt so chuffed when I reached double figures, so you should be very proud indeed :D

There's lots of advice, information and support here, so take a good look around and post wherever you feel comfy.The articles are really useful too, especially the 'Essential Reading From Our Archive'.

Good luck, hope to see you around the boards.

scott76

Post by scott76 » 20 Mar 2013 11:45

Hi all

my name is Scott and I have been drinking for just over twenty years now and I would say that it has been a problem since my first experience. I was approximately 15 years of age when I first had a drink with friends, up to that point I'd always been quite shy and not overly forward in conversations, I had plenty of friends I just didn't have the same confiedence they had. One particular Friday night in the park I accepted the offer of some alcohol and the effect was immediate, I literally came out of my shell there and then, it was as if I'd freed a part of me I didn't even think existed. Over the next couple of years everything was fantastic, I drank most days and quite often with friends however things began to change, my friends began going to pubs and dating and well growing up but I seemed unable to develop. Over time my drinking really took hold, I would drink between 4-7 days per week and it was always to the point of unconsciousness, I could not see the point in even starting if it wasn't leading to full blown drunkeness. I skipped through numerous jobs as I was unable to commit myself fully due to hangovers or the need to drink in the morning and in all that time I watched whilst my friends started having families, careers, homes, holidays and other such things that people do in their twenties. It was only in my late twenties that I started to change, it was if something once again was awakening inside me but this time it was something telling me that I really needed to have a good look at myself as if I carried on this way I would end up in bad health and alone. I made numerous efforts to quit fully but they never lasted however I did cut down considerably to the point where it was once or twice a week but still when I did drink it was as always to that extreme level. Of course this still hindered my progress in life as hangovers would still stop me going to work which inevitably led to dismissals. Five years ago exactly I met my Danielle, who is now my wife, she seemed to see past what I would call my problems and saw in me a person. In the first year of being together we got married and had a beautiful baby girl, this was a major turning point in my life as I realised that I could no longer carry on in life as I had been doing. As the years have rolled by I have managed to stop drinking to unconsciousness but I was still drinking to get drunk and last week something seemed to finally give. I was leaving my house to go to work when I heard a knock at the window, it was my now 4 year old girl waving at me, it brought me to tears to look over at my wonderful daughter and think that I could ever want to be away from her but I knew that if I carried on drinking I would possibly face the the prospect of illness, early death or just my family not wanting to be around me. It was simple, I couldn't cut back anymore I had to stop........forever. Right now all I feel is positive that I can achieve this, I'm not trying to find scenarios where I will need to drink, I'm just focussing on scenarios where I can enjoy life fully. I realise however that I will need help, I'm not sure from where or how but I thought I would start here. My apologies for rambling on a bit and I look forward to chatting and hopefully I may get some direction.

George

Post by George » 20 Mar 2013 12:37

Hi Scott

Good to meet you. I understand a lot of what you say as I started in my teens too and carried on regardless, with little thought about what was happening. If you are looking to give up completely then it would be a good idea to start on The First 7 Days, give it a go and see what you think.

Speak soon ;)?
“Now I’m sober and I realize, I didn’t drink to escape the world, I drank to escape myself”
― Phil Volatile, Crushed Black Velvet

scott76

Post by scott76 » 20 Mar 2013 13:00

Hi George

Many thanks I will look at the first 7 days immediately, I appreciate the help.

scott76

Post by scott76 » 20 Mar 2013 14:08

Hi Miss Joanne

It is really lovely to be able to open up and get such fantastic response, I feel much more confident knowing that there are people here that can share their experiences and vice versa.

Many thanks for the welcome

Scott :)

rexsmojo
Last Drink Date: 19 Mar 2013

Post by rexsmojo » 20 Mar 2013 15:51

Hello! I am Marty.
I am pretty sure I am a binge drinker. Based on the definition I found online. I seem to do just fine until I have one drink - then it is one more and one more, oh and lets just have another one. Which seems to be the trend when socializing with friends, but according to my husband I certainly the drunkest one.
I am trying to decide if I can be able to be a 2 or 3 drink girl, or if I just need to admit that I cannot do it at all. So how do I socialize with my friends and family? I am wondering how I am going to be able to be sober and still be with the people I love or if I am going to be sitting at home alone on Friday and Saturday while everyone else parties on. I am sick and so broken hearted right now.

scott76

Post by scott76 » 20 Mar 2013 16:33

Envy wrote:Scott welcome. Most of that post I could have written myself. Drinking really beats you up physically and mentally. In a word it sucks. I knew my wife and kids deserved better than a slurring stumbling drunk arse. I tried to drink moderately and at times I could, but alot of times I had no off switch. Its going on 5 weeks sober for me and my mood and outlook has improved leaps and bounds. Some ups and downs but this feeling of being sober is so calming. I no longer make mountains out of mole hills and stress is definately reduced, as is the feelings of anxiety, guilt, depression. That all happened when I finally admitted I had a problem and not drinking again would be best for me. Hope this helps, good for you for making that choice!!!
Hi Envy

I can certainly relate to the above, the mountain out of a mole hill, anziety, guilt and depression are all what I would go through once or twice a week, it's so draining and the feeling of no hope was forever there but now after 5 days I'm already feeling a certain sense of release and a the hope of a better future.
These posts on here are unbelievably helpful, thanks :)

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD » 20 Mar 2013 17:12

Hi Marty and welcome. I think it's incidental what you call it - binge drinking, problem drinking, but you're obviously concerned that you have a problem. I was always a home alone drinker, but I know others on here have partners who drink, and who have sustained a social life while staying AF (alcohol free). I can't imagine it's easy, especially in the early days. I think you'll have to find an AF drink that you like, and stick to that in the beginning.

Have a read around the threads and post where you like.

Good luck.
be selfish in your sobriety.

CarolP
Last Drink Date: 07 Apr 2014

Post by CarolP » 20 Mar 2013 17:22

Hiya Rexsmojo, Dont be sad hon. Youve made a good decision today coming here and youll get lots of help from some lovely people. We,re all in simialr shape but together, we can get through this. Take care and stay strong. Youll smile again before long x :)
Change only happens when the pain of holding on is greater than the fear of letting go.

Kiki17
Last Drink Date: 31 Mar 2013

Post by Kiki17 » 21 Mar 2013 14:43

Hi Everyone:

I just wanted ot introduce myself. I decided to sign up for this forum because this is not a 12 step program and I like the idea of trying cognitive therapy to help me stop drinking.

I also like how honest everyone is here about their struggles and their relapses.

This will be my first day of not having a drink - wine.

Thanks again and I look forward to getting support from you guys and to support all of you in our journey to stop drinking.

Best of luck today to all of you.

Kiki

Kiki17
Last Drink Date: 31 Mar 2013

Post by Kiki17 » 21 Mar 2013 15:36

Thanks Lorelei...I appreciate the welcome. I will head over to the 7 day thread.

rexsmojo
Last Drink Date: 19 Mar 2013

Post by rexsmojo » 21 Mar 2013 16:06

Hi Kiki. This is day 2 for me. Wine for me too.
Just want to thank everyone for all of the support yesterday. I was pretty down. Angry, hurt and resentful.
Today is brighter. Although I still have those feelings they are just not as strong as they were yesterday.
The weekend will be the hardest for me because that is usually when my drinking occurs. Rarely during the week, but it has happened on occasion.

CarolP

Post by CarolP » 21 Mar 2013 16:14

Hi Kiki. Its good you found BE. There are lots of lovely people here with lots of tips and no hint of judgement. Keep reading and posting as much as you need. There is usually someone on line. Take care and all the best. Day 4 for me ( Ive seen a few day 4s) hopefully the last 4 I will see. Day 5 and beyond \:)/ xx
Change only happens when the pain of holding on is greater than the fear of letting go.

Bernadette
Last Drink Date: 26 Apr 2014

Post by Bernadette » 21 Mar 2013 16:23

Welcome Kiki.
You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind (Anon)...

CarolP

Post by CarolP » 21 Mar 2013 16:35

Hi Bernadette. How you doing hon? All getting brighter over here (::) Thank goodness. :)

honestmarkovillaN

Post by honestmarkovillaN » 22 Mar 2013 09:47

Hi again

I type this post in a flood of tears I'm in denial about my drinking and don't know what to do :?:

I've not posted in a while cause I'm still drinking and fear the withdrawal symptoms if I do. I've just taken another alcohol induced day off work so feeling sorry for myself

Ive recently given up smoking and feel I've replaced that addiction with increasing my booze intake :!:

Help!

jaffa21
Last Drink Date: 12 May 2013

Post by jaffa21 » 22 Mar 2013 10:05

Hi honestMark.

I know exactly how you feel I too am still drinking. HOWEVER....After getting like youve just described i'd had enough and realised i needed to face facts and be strong and seek help or nothing was ever going to change.

After much courage I spoke to my GP and didnt lie about my alcohol intake, ( 2 bottles of Rose wine nearly every night) I was embarresed but felt like a weight had been lifted.

I have been going to a drop in centre to seek help and have been refered to the Community Alcohol team.

Like I said i am still drinking but gradually tapering down to prevent the nasty withdrawals. I still get shaky and anxious but very slowly i am beating this nast hold that alcohol has over me.

I'm not going to lie its tough tapering down as part of me still wants to drink it all but i know i was sick of the hangovers and the depression the day after a big drinking session brings.

Have a look at the tapering thread on here and do a bit of research to see if you feel you could try it?!!

I have only cut down to 1 and half bottles so far so its very slow but im feeling great already!! I also changed to a lower percentage wine. DO NOT do it cold turkey the risks are not worth it!!!

I am also taking Vitamin B compound and Thiamine that my GP prescribed so although I am still drinking I am feeling SOOOO positive right now.

There are loads of great people on here and lots of advice.

Chin Up and try not to beat yourself up today.

Jaffa
I am fighting this with all my might.

HAPPY GIRL

Post by HAPPY GIRL » 22 Mar 2013 15:17

Hi

My name is Karen. I am a 42 year old, full time employed single mum, and have been drniking about 2 bottles of wine, 3 nights a week. My skin and eyes look so tired and I want to live with a clear head. I have not drunk for 7 days, and I want to stay on this road.

Hello \:)/

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD » 22 Mar 2013 15:28

Hi Karen and welcome to BE. You've done really well, that first post is so difficult. And you've got past the first week - what an achievement. Brilliant.

Now that you've stopped, let's keep the momentum going. Jump in and read or post where you like. Well done.

Good luck.
be selfish in your sobriety.