Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Finley

Re: New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Finley » 08 May 2013 12:43

Hi Mags. I'm really glad you and your friend have been able to talk things over and reach an agreement. Like TC said, it sounds as if you have a good plan. Best of luck and let us know how you're getting on x
I want to be the best me I can be ...

mags

Post by mags » 08 May 2013 13:16

hi, thanks for all the replys - really appreciate it. Going okish today so far. Been up most of the night but trying to keep awake until a decent bedtime hour tonight and hopefully sleep then. Just found out that my 13 year old daughter told my mum that she didn't know if she was coming round for lunch today as I haven't been answering my phone for the past week - true. Feel upset about it but know it's all my fault so can't blame anyone else.
My friend has gone to the beach but I didn't go with him - don't think he wanted me on his scooter in my present condition and I wanted to wait and see if my daughter turns up. Haven't got any food in anyway so will have to take her out for lunch. Just phoned her dad and he said he didn't know what her plans were but didn't ask him for a bus fare so he presumes that she's going there after school. He will ask her to phone me. Feeling a bit shaky and wierd at the moment but I know the score. Trying to drink one glass of wine every 3 hours which is how I've tapered off before but it's not easy.
Hope everyone is doing well today xxx

Irishgirl
Last Drink Date: 15 Mar 2015

Post by Irishgirl » 08 May 2013 20:13

Hello. It's taken me a very long time to pluck up the courage to register. I wasn't in denial about how much I drink. I just felt ashamed that the drink took over my life and became my best friend. I've stayed in a controlling marriage for nearly 21 years with the help of my best friend - the bottle of wine (which no longer makes things feel better),and I've lost my 19 year old daughter, and now am watching my 10 year old son drift away from me.
I'm now terrified that as I've been drinking for so long, that I am making myself ill. I can't face going to AA. I have been in therapy for over 2 years now due to my marriage problems, but I can't tell the therapist this, I'm on anti-depressants but still can't tell the Doctor about my drinking. I used to be a sociable person so am desperately hoping being part of the forum will help. I am looking forward to it and I want to start my road to recovery now.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » 08 May 2013 20:38

Hi Irishgirl and a warm welcome to BE <:)>

Is there a reason other than embarrassment that you don't want to see your Dr? I ask because although the thought of it's terrible, facing the embarrassment , really helped me to face up to the problem I had with drinking...until I admitted it to my doctor I don't think I'd really admitted it to myself. Once the metaphorical cat was out of the bag it was kind of liberating. Plus, my love, you have a lot going on and the load would be lighter if you could at least in part, unburden yourself of some of the guilt and worry that surrounds the drinking.

Have a good look around the forum and post wherever you like, there are lots of excellent threads, challenges and great advice and support from people who won't judge you :D <:)>

Elizabeth

Irishgirl

Post by Irishgirl » 08 May 2013 22:31

Thank you for your kind replies. I am going to aim for a sober day tomorrow and I'll know there are people out there who care.

Irishgirl

Post by Irishgirl » 08 May 2013 22:42

Ok! Let's go!

magna

Post by magna » 09 May 2013 01:24

Hi I am Stu and I don't know where to start.. I am a hopeless drunk and very sad ATM but hopefully this post may be my first step out of this shit hole I have created around me..I have deleted and re written this first post 6 times now so I am just going to hit post and say that hey is my intro and I hope I fit in..

mags

Post by mags » 09 May 2013 01:58

Hey Stu, nice to meet you. I have been here before for a long time and it's really a great place to come for support. Been drinking a bit today so intending to post a bit on the regrouping thread. Can't sleep, although knackered so will be online for a bit if you want to share more of your story. Magsx

Summer Lamb

Post by Summer Lamb » 09 May 2013 11:44

Hi all,
I came across this site at work the other day. I am in my mid 40s and have drunk heavily for the last 25 years. I'm fed up, and over the last 3 years I have been drinking over a bottle of wine a day in ethe evening and if I didn't go to work I know that's what I would spend my day doing. I am in a professional health related occupation and it is difficult for me to even compose this. Wine helps me to deal with a boring, unfulfilled existence working away to pay taxes and contribute to the economy, plus bad relationships, feeling isolated etc etc. Have been drinking daily after work, calling into the pub on my way home and been feeling generally rotten. Because of awful liver function tests recently and also I know that I will probably not make it to claim my early occupational pension from the govt I need to do something about this. Thanks for listening. xx

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 09 May 2013 13:29

Hello Summer and welcome to BE. Sorry nobody has responded before now - bit quiet on here at the moment for some reason.

Your story is very similar to most of us so don't feel embarrassed at all. We've all been there Summer to some extent or another. I started off drinking after work, then it got to lunch times and pretty soon I was on the slippery slope to nowhere but down.

Well done for wanting to tackle it before it gets any worse. The liver is amazing at healing itself - mine did ;)?

You might like to join others starting out on the sober route on THE FIRST 7 DAYS CHALLENGE. They are a very friendly group and you'll find lots of support.

Good luck and look forward to seeing you around the boards. TC ;)?
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Finley

Post by Finley » 09 May 2013 14:41

Hi Summer and welcome to BE ;)? As TC said, yours is a very familiar story - to me and no doubt to many other BE-ers. Make yourself at home and have a look around the different threads. The first 7 days is a good place if you want the support of others who are at a similar stage to yourself. There are also other threads, including ones about interests other than drinking (eg cooking; running and walking club) just to have a chat and share ideas. Look forward to hearing more from you x
I want to be the best me I can be ...

achristop

Post by achristop » 09 May 2013 18:17

Hi Summer, Stu and Irish Girl: Nice to have you aboard! Feel free to post anywhere, the 7 Day Challenge is a good place to start as others have said. We are all here with the same view in mind. Stopping the booze! No criticism, just honest help, support and advice! ;)? Good luck with whatever path you choose. ;)? Chris

rusty1983

Post by rusty1983 » 10 May 2013 06:46

Hi, Ive been here before but not for ages so Im reintroducing myself.

Ive been binge drinking for a very long time now. In the last year or so it has been spiralling. I lost a job more or less ebcause of it and since then control seems further and further away.

I teach and live in Japan and live with my gf here. Basically since moving here ive been drinking alot less due to time and money constraints, but when i do find i fall off into oblivion quite quickly.Had a few disastrous nights out with friends and colleagues (ex friends, lucky i dont see my colleagues unless i want to). GF is at the end of her tether needless to say too.

Will say more elsewhere but have to dash now

Kate150
Last Drink Date: 26 Apr 2013

Post by Kate150 » 10 May 2013 07:17

Good morning Rusty and all other newbies

It's great to hear you reaching out for support. This is a great sight where you will find people willing and able to give much well seasoned advice.

I am just new here as well but all I can say is if you want freedom from alcohol let today be your day 1. Regardless of where we reach on the ladder or how many times we fall, the quicker we begin again the better.

Glad to see you all here and good luck.

Kate

Summer Lamb

Post by Summer Lamb » 10 May 2013 11:04

Thank you all for your generous and kind replies, I feel privileged to have found this forum - now I realise that I am not alone in this. I have tried AA, counselling, campral etc, but nothing really felt 'just right' and I have been convincing myself recently that I am a lost cause. After reading about people's stories maybe that's not the case after all. I have had 5 days without a drink this week which I haven't achieved in over 3 years. It was difficult though. Last night the temptation was too overwhelming and I did call in at the pub, got impatient and thought that I would be feeling better than I was, after 5 days! Tonight I had dinner with my cousin and had one glass of wine. I am determined not to have any more for tonight at least ;)?

Thank you so much :) xx

jaffa21
Last Drink Date: 12 May 2013

Post by jaffa21 » 10 May 2013 11:52

Hi all. Not been on in ages so wanted to reintroduce myself. Im a 34 year old married mum of 2, who has been drinking 2 bottles of wine everynight for years. I have my first medical this afternoon to see if i can start a home detox on monday. YAYYYYY (::) VERY nervous but also very excited. any advice on what to expect will be greatly recieved. I have also posted on the detox page. x
I am fighting this with all my might.

secret squirrel
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2013

Post by secret squirrel » 10 May 2013 19:17

Hi Everyone

I'm in my thirties with two little girls and I've been drinking heavily pretty much every night for a few years. I've destroyed my wife's trust in me and I'm stopping now before it upsets my girls as well. Luckily they're still too young to have noticed (I hope). Today is day 2 of not drinking

achristop

Post by achristop » 10 May 2013 21:30

Hi Squirrel and a very warm welcome to Bright Eye. Look forward to reading your posts ;)? Chris

7AY105_

Post by 7AY105_ » 11 May 2013 02:27

Hi :)

I'm Taylor, from Sydney, Australia and I do not have a drinking problem however I do live with those who may consume a bit too much. I do offer them support even though I am only a student. I registered to this site because I am doing a project on support services that are available to individuals affected by alcohol and how affective are they and I thought Bright Eye could make a great contribution. I have to give out questionnaires (they're anonymous) to people who are or were affected by alcohol but not much people are that convincing or open to me here. So, my teacher suggested forums, I tried ReachOut but it didn't work too well. If I could get anyones feedback that would help alot and decrease my stress levels.

P.S. Thanks for having me on Bright Eye. I hope I don't offend anyone.

Audrey37

Post by Audrey37 » 11 May 2013 08:29

Hi all, I'm Audrey37 and I want to quit alcohol completely. I am concerned about how I will manage on social occasions as I do enjoy going out. Also, what do you tell people?