Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Bax
Last Drink Date: 03 Jul 2013

Re: New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Bax » 09 Jun 2013 09:13

Thanks for the welcome everyone

Sorry what I meant about how to post was not how to start a new thread but just how to write on the wall without pressing 'post a reply'. Is there a button to press just to write a new entry or can you only ever reply?

Clearly my only challenge isn't just with alcohol!!

Very heartened to read what everyone has written here - you all just seem regular everyday people; I thought I'd be out of my depth. My story is not too different from other people's on here except I haven't really been through some of the hard times others of you have so I can't think what excuse I have to drink really. I totally relate to the whole 'I deserve it', it's a reward, self-blame and determination to give up, etc. I guess you just keep trying. Unlike some of you I haven't told anyone about my problem, not friends, partner (he doesn't drink very much!) or Mum, though I'm wondering if at least some people have guessed.

I have a great job, do lots of exercise, live a regular life,etc but just binge drink on the side. It's probably only opportunity that stops me doing it more as I do it in secret. It's got to the stage where I leave work at lunchtime one or twice a week to come home and drink a bottle and a half of wine and then try to sober up before my partner gets home. It's getting worrying now because I have blanks of what I've done towards the end of the drinking session and also call people and must sound a bit slurry.

There is something about getting this off my chest to a whole load of totally non-judgemental people which is such a relief.

I'm going to do the 7 day challenge - already most of the way through day 2 without alcohol - a record for me as I'd normally have at least a glass or two when not bingeing - and see if being accountable to a bunch of strangers will help!

Good luck to you all!!!!

needtoquitdrinking

Post by needtoquitdrinking » 09 Jun 2013 10:29

Hi all,

Im an alcoholic and im quitting today and not looking forward to withdrawal. I have been on 3 bottles of wine per day and am close to losing my job, so I have to quit.

Hoping this forum will be of help to me.

Thanks

nonevernomore
Last Drink Date: 09 Sep 2018

Post by nonevernomore » 09 Jun 2013 10:34

Hi Bax.. Welcome aboard ;)?

When you press 'post reply' you are in fact posting a new post and not directly replying to another persons post. If you want to reply specifically to a person, just mention them in your post or press 'quote' which will show the other persons post as an insert in yours. Hope this makes sense. :)
Today is the first day of the rest of our lives

nonevernomore

Post by nonevernomore » 09 Jun 2013 10:38

Welcome needtoquitdrinking

Good luck.. You have already taken the importance step and are looking for help. You will find plenty here. I am on my 10th day alcohol free and have found support and comfort whenever I've needed it. ;)?

zarajenkin

Post by zarajenkin » 09 Jun 2013 15:11

A huge welcome to all here new on BE <:)>

Well done for taking the first step. I hope that you will find BE as helpful as I have.

I have been a binge drinker for years and years but in April of this year it was starting to be more like 2 bottles rather than one. a nightWent to the doctor and said I wanted all the help I could get. For me not drinking while pregnant has not been a problem so for me I finally decided I couldn't stop without a real reason not to - for me it has been taking antabuse which literally means I can't drink without risk of serious harm. It has worked and I have not had a drink for 83 days. Different things work for different people but I wanted to share this with people in case it could work for someone else here.

Please feel free to PM me if you - taking antabuse is not to be done lightly - but for me it has been the only option that finally seems to be working. Of course I still get cravings and feel really sorry for myself on many evenings but it has been the best thing I have done. The main thing is that I am not drinking and it IS getting a bit easier as time goes by.

Also having free alcohol counselling with an organisation called 'Action for Change'

Zara

Bax
Last Drink Date: 03 Jul 2013

Post by Bax » 09 Jun 2013 15:22

Thanks Nonevernomore. Got it now...

WiltedRose

Post by WiltedRose » 09 Jun 2013 15:55

Hi Bax.
God, the drunken phone calls! The ones where you are convinced you're not drunk and are NOT slurring?!
Ha I've had more of those than I care to remember! :oops:
And the text messages... Oh my God, we must all have had that horrible moment when you check your mobile in the morning and see what utter crap you've text to people!
The thing is, it makes perfect sense to you when you're drunk, but when you are sober it's just mortifying!
I only stopped drinking 10 days ago but I still check my mobile every morning out of habit. My ex must think I've suddenly seen the light and got over him. Truth is, I couldn't see the light because I was so utterly pissed off my face every night.
Being sober certainly helps moving on in that respect.
Jowls, jowls, jowls....

nonevernomore

Post by nonevernomore » 09 Jun 2013 16:11

WiltedRose wrote: I only stopped drinking 10 days ago
We'll have less of the 'only' talk thanks WR, well done ;)?

WiltedRose

Post by WiltedRose » 09 Jun 2013 16:44

Haha thank you NoNever!! ;)?
Jowls, jowls, jowls....

Melanie961

Post by Melanie961 » 09 Jun 2013 20:57

()o
Last edited by Melanie961 on 06 Sep 2013 13:50, edited 1 time in total.

caitriona
Last Drink Date: 08 Jun 2013

Post by caitriona » 10 Jun 2013 09:52

Hi my name is caitriona,I have tried to stop drinking around 4 times allready, I will go without drinking for three months and then I will go out and get drunk and make a fool of myself, I am fed up with how drinking makes me feel, I cry for days after I drink , I have terrible guilt after drinking, I dont know why this happens .I really want to be a non drinker as I change so much when I drink.I really hope I do it this time and I hope this site will help :|

caroline95

Post by caroline95 » 10 Jun 2013 11:25

Hi Caitriona, welcome to BE.There's a huge amount of advice, information and support here, so have a look around and post wherever you feel comfy.This article on How to stop drinking alcohol is a good place to start.

Best of luck x

Lab71

Hello everyone I am new here.

Post by Lab71 » 11 Jun 2013 01:38

My partner has taken a big step in quitting drinking. Although I was not a problem drinker , I too have stopped drinking to support her in this. I am hoping to learn a little what those of you have gone through in your process so that I can better support her. It has been 3 weeks since we quit.

trish439

Post by trish439 » 11 Jun 2013 04:31

Hey Envy , just realized we are neighbors!

Welcome to all the new peeps, I am new too, been here a couple of weeks, am on day 3. This BE is a great place , glad you all found it and look forward to hearing from you.

trish
"courage is the price that life exacts for peace"--Amelia Earhart

achristop

Re: Hello everyone I am new here.

Post by achristop » 11 Jun 2013 18:18

Lab71 wrote:My partner has taken a big step in quitting drinking. Although I was not a problem drinker , I too have stopped drinking to support her in this. I am hoping to learn a little what those of you have gone through in your process so that I can better support her. It has been 3 weeks since we quit.
Hi Lab71. What a star! ;)? She needs your support and help to get through the days ahead. That is obviously what you are going to offer her. Admirable. Stay around. and, reading some of the posts available might help. It will probably illuminate some of the things that may have been in shadow before. Good luck: Chris (::)

Lab71

Thank you all

Post by Lab71 » 11 Jun 2013 21:06

Right now it's hard for her as she is dealing with post acute withdrawal depression.

achristop

Post by achristop » 11 Jun 2013 21:08

And THAT is hard Lab :( Those first few days and weeks are very debilitating indeed :roll:

George

Post by George » 11 Jun 2013 21:14

Hey Lab

She deserves a great clap on the back because she hasn't given up yet. Big round of applause to you both (::)
“Now I’m sober and I realize, I didn’t drink to escape the world, I drank to escape myself”
― Phil Volatile, Crushed Black Velvet

freshstartgirl

Post by freshstartgirl » 13 Jun 2013 03:25

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and want to moderate/take control of my drinking, or abstain if that's too difficult. I'm glad I found this forum, and look forward to hearing about successes. \:)/