Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
achristop

Re: New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

Post by achristop » 24 Nov 2013 18:11

Hi Changed Girl and a welcome back to BE! Nice to have you aboard <:)> Chris

Bitofapush

Post by Bitofapush » 25 Nov 2013 10:04

Hi, this is my first time to a forum site like this

I would appreciate the opportunity to talk with others in a similar situation to mine - something I've never done before (although I have discussed alcohol as part of wider counselling).

I had a terrible relationship with alcohol when I was younger, exacerbated by the deaths of 2 loved ones. I then went silly at university, taking almost every opportunity I could to drink too much.

However, I have since made huge changes. For the past 2 years I have successfully had a 'dry January' (never aiming to go beyond that) & for the most part my relationship with alcohol is pretty good - 2-4 days per week, rarely more than 3 pints of beer / a bottle of wine at the absolute most. (That isn't a bottle of wine 4 times / week either! It's a glass on 1-3 nights & more on the 4th)

However, I still occasionally slip back into old habits - as I have done recently - which involve much less healthy activities like drinking 2-3 glasses of wine on my own in the kitchen while I cook or, the worst one, having a drink on my 1.5 hour commute home. It is not negatively affecting my daily life other than my frustration with myself when I am aware that I'm creeping back to old, bad habits. That said, I want to put things back to rights & try to find a way to stop slipping back (happens roughly every 4 months, takes a month to rectify) & I thought this could be a good way to do it.

I would appreciate any thoughts & comments,

Thanks,

Bitofapush

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 25 Nov 2013 11:20

Hi Bitofapush - and welcome!

I think you've made a wise choice to join the forum. I know you'll find everyone here very friendly and supportive.

I know myself how it feels to roll along sober for a good while, only to suffer a regrettable lapse or simply find that one is on a slow slide towards drinking more (and more regularly) than one would like.

You've already proved to yourself that you can go without drink for lengthy periods, with those dry Januarys. If you feel you'd like to try extending those periods of abstinence, you could "join" one of the Sobriety Challenges. Most people start with The First 7 Days, and then work their way up through them.

One of the benefits of this, I think, is that you gain a great idea of how much hold booze has over you. The harder it is to stay dry, the more power it has over you.

However, if on the other hand you seek companionship from people who continue to drink but who wish to keep their drinking under control, you could try out the Cutting Down or even Regrouping threads.

There are also places such as General Support & Chat, for general talk and advice.

And more fun/less alcohol-related threads for general amusement and distraction.

Please look around and post where and when you want.

I'll look forward to seeing you around.

Best wishes,
Mark
"Addiction doesn’t go away when we stop drinking." ~ Tai

Leeski1975

Post by Leeski1975 » 25 Nov 2013 14:38

Hi there I'm new to this site joined cause I'm desperate tbh , always been a big drinker, but over last few years has become really bad when I'm not asleep I'm drunk have not had a drink for three days and am determined to not touch the stuff have read lots of all your posts and has given me more light at the end of the tunnel if that makes sense? First two days were awful shakes,seeing things, nightmares,depressed and so on. Been sat on sofa for two days drinking cranberry juice and trying to eat healthy- but every now and then the craving creeps up on me and it's scares the shit out of me can anyone please give me any tips or advise please please ?

Leeski1975

Post by Leeski1975 » 25 Nov 2013 15:04

Hi there Amarok
Thanks for your reply . I have kinda been preparing to stop drinking- few months ago was drinking about 8-10 cans strong larger then 2 bottles of wine a day as lager was haven no affect hence the wine and this was happening for two years +, the last few months have cut down a little and have even had couple of dry days but last time I drank was Friday last wk and I lost the plot ended up in hospital - due to me calling the police as I felt like hurting myself or doing something stupid, was kept in over night - doctor was really nice I explained my situation that I missed my kids and was in debt and basically drinking myself to death. Think it was the scare I needed to stop drinking and face my fears

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat » 25 Nov 2013 15:14

Welcome to BE Leeski,

As Amarok said, please keep yourself hydrated (vital) with water or any other soft drinks. You might also like to check out THIS GETTING SOBER AND DETOX THREAD as it has lots of useful information regards what to expect and supplements to aid recovery.

Feel free to have a good look around and post wherever you like though. Good luck TC xx
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
Today is our most precious possession.

changed girl

Post by changed girl » 25 Nov 2013 17:31

Thank you for all of your support/replies. I think helping to support and regularly offering advice will help my issues just as it hopes to heal/ help/ support others.
Can't write too much from my phone now!!
Changed Girl

needtosort

Post by needtosort » 25 Nov 2013 20:17

Oh God here it goes I'll go by the name Jo. My heart is racing here doing this. I'am a 37 year old mother of 3 young Children and I have a bad drink problem.I binge once or twice a week and when I do I don't know when to stop. I live with constant guilt and every week I say I wont do this to myself again. I hate myself, have 0 confidence and things need to change as I can feel my health suffering. I am terrified that I've liver disease and will die leaving my 3 beautiful children. No one know's my secret not even my husband. I'am so angry that I cannot just be normal.

JunoB
Last Drink Date: 04 Oct 2013

Post by JunoB » 25 Nov 2013 21:32

Hi Jo

Welcome to BE. My story is similar to yours, feel welcome to read my posts. I have found this forum very useful in my recovery. I am on day 52 AF today and this is the longest time I have been sober in my entire adult life. Have a look at the sections throughout the forum especially the challenges. You are amongst friends now! We are all here for the same reason x
I always had the right intentions but never had the means to achieve it.

Leeski1975

Post by Leeski1975 » 26 Nov 2013 13:18

Day 4 struggled last night sweating , shaking , headache. Feel like crap today depressed and bored can't imagine life with out a drink it all seems so bland and dull - reading some of your post has given me the strength to carry on with sobriety just hope it gets better and I can stop feeling so guilty

cani2
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2013

Post by cani2 » 26 Nov 2013 13:37

Hi everyone,

My name is Kay, I am 47 year old mother of 3 one of which has left home and the other two are 13 and 15.
I have been drinking for what seems to be forever at least one bottle of wine every night with the odd binge at weekends. I am so ashamed of myself, and scared to stop in case I fail again but I know that I need to stop. My husband has just been told that at Christmas he will lose his job, I lost mine a couple of moths ago when the company folded, but last nights news sent me into a binge. I know it does not help the situation but it did seem to make me more able to cope with the information. This morning I am ashamed of the fact that I just do not seem able to cope with life's stresses. I have only found this site today and so plan to spend some time looking around, I do wonder what to expect if I just stop drinking. I look forward to chatting with you.
Kay

cani2
Last Drink Date: 31 Dec 2013

Post by cani2 » 26 Nov 2013 13:59

Thankyou Amarok for the hugs really needed that, going to have a look at the 7 day challenge now

caroline95

Post by caroline95 » 26 Nov 2013 14:28

cani2 wrote:I do wonder what to expect if I just stop drinking.
Hi Kay, and welcome - there's lots of useful advice and information on the Detox Advice thread.It's well worth looking at 'The Essential Reading From Our Archive' section too.

Good luck!

needtosort

Post by needtosort » 26 Nov 2013 14:52

Thank you everyone. :D I'am going to an excercise class tonight and haven't had a drink since sat (::) . I cant cope with the kids/house cooking etc when I am hungover so I just need to stop this cycle. I have a social event next week so I will find that difficult as I find it hard socially without a drink and by then I know I will be like ah i'll just have a few. hope I can stay strong :!:

Finley

Post by Finley » 26 Nov 2013 15:16

Hi Needtosort - there's a long time between now and next week and you'll have some good AF time under your belt by then ;)? Don't worry about it just now. When it gets nearer you might find you feel so good about not drinking (and the improvements you're likely to see/feel in your mood, your skin, hair, eyes etc) that you'll be more determined not to drink at your social event. I know it's very hard - and one of the most difficult things, if we're known by our friends/colleagues as 'drinkers' is how to deal with other peoples' reactions. In the longer term, you will build the confidence just to be able to say 'I won't have (wine/beer/whatever your usual drink is) but in the meantime you could always say you wanted a bit of time to give your bod a rest before the 'silly season' gets into full swing. Or...you could use the old 'antibiotic' ruse........

Once you get over how to deal with other people, then all you have left to do is to decide for yourself whether you want that drink or not.

Make it sound easy, don't I? I know it isn't.....but it is possible, if that's what you want for yourself.

Best of luck ;)?
I want to be the best me I can be ...

Leeski1975

Post by Leeski1975 » 26 Nov 2013 15:28

Hi could someone please give me some advise I'm on day 4 without drink and I'm have all the normal symptoms but I'm feeling really dizzy and bit spaced out is this normal withdrawal ? Many thanks

Finley

Post by Finley » 26 Nov 2013 15:35

Hi Leeski - well done on day 4. I'm sure other people will be more knowledgeable than me - but I would say be careful if you are feeling 'spaced out'/dizzy - and possibly you would do well to have a talk to your GP - or if you don't feel able to do that, call one of the NHS helplines? Hope you soon feel better and get any help you need <:)>

Edit -ps Leeski - it might be a good idea to post on the SOS thread if you're very anxious because although this may not be an SOS in terms of you being likely to grab alcohol right now, that is a thread that often gets noticed and picked up on/responded to quickly x

caroline95

Post by caroline95 » 26 Nov 2013 15:38

Hi Leeski, feeling tired/spaced out/dizzy are all to be expected in the early days of withdrawal.Eating regularly, drinking lots of water and resting up will help and it does get easier.

You might want to check out the Detox thread too, there's lots of invaluable advice there.

needtosort

Post by needtosort » 26 Nov 2013 15:38

Thanks Finley for your support :D its a meal and I it wont be hard to make my excuses as I have a baby and have to do night feeds so its more me i'am worried about :? but i'am going to plan not to so fingers crossed that the :twisted: does not take over.

Finley

Post by Finley » 26 Nov 2013 15:44

Good idea to plan ahead ;)? Just don't let it make you feel anxious between now and then. You're doing great - so just keep on keeping on <:)>