Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
mkj

Re: New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

Post by mkj » 03 Dec 2014 12:08

Hiya Susanne , and welcome. 3.5 months is quite an achievement, particularly if you managed that on your own.
I am not sure from your post what you are actually asking for advice on?

joholdbrook
Last Drink Date: 07 Dec 2014

Post by joholdbrook » 03 Dec 2014 13:55

I am not new but I am back had a really terrible time with the demon drink lately I ended up going to see a drink group and they have agreed to give me tablets the end if the week I am praying they help me as I really don't want to go back to where I was and it's already happening slowly
Je suis prest

Ladysnoops
Last Drink Date: 08 Apr 2012

Post by Ladysnoops » 03 Dec 2014 15:02

Hi Jo, I am following you around on the threads. :shock: <:)> Glad to see that you are posting and connecting with you friends. Friends who have been in your shoes many many times. You are not alone Hun. Please take good care of yourself and as I said on the SOS thread.......hydrate, rest, eat, but most importantly be good to yourself and don't beat yourself up as that would serve no purpose at all.

<:)> <:)> <:)>

Linda
Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.

joholdbrook

Post by joholdbrook » 03 Dec 2014 15:10

Hey Linda I am geting there a good early night I need I can't undo what Iv done so now I have to just deal with it and move on with it all where is everyone posting now I used to go on the threads for the 7 day challenge is that what people are still doing x
Je suis prest

Ladysnoops
Last Drink Date: 08 Apr 2012

Post by Ladysnoops » 03 Dec 2014 15:41

Yes Jo, the seven day thread is alive and well! That would be my suggestion. There is also an "interesting" lot on the Late Lounge thread! Check it out ()o Glad to see that you are moving on my friend!!! ;)? <:)>
Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.

joholdbrook

Post by joholdbrook » 03 Dec 2014 16:26

I can't beat myself up all I can do is get strong and face it head on I think I drunk down to stress and habit but I will try to get this dealt with again god I feel like rubbish xx
Je suis prest

Julie7

Post by Julie7 » 03 Dec 2014 16:39

Hi mkj, thanks for replying to my post. I hope one day I can say that I have had the success you have with sobriety x

bentnotbrokenwings

Post by bentnotbrokenwings » 03 Dec 2014 21:22

Thank you Rags, I appreciate it. It is so tough, I feel horrible today and am just using a little to keep off the shakes. Have only had two lite cans all day, which is a huge improvement for me. Just enough at a time to stop feeling the shaking, panic, horribleness I feel. A couple of sips, and back in the fridge it goes. Am planning a relaxing, quite, and hopefully early evening. And hoping tomorrow I feel better, so I can throw out the rest of the cans and start a true first day.

And hello Joh, I know how you feel about beating yourself up, I have stopped at least fifty times today to kick myself, but each time tell myself just get better, move forward.
It's not anxiety,it's alcohol.It's not depression,it's alcohol.It's not a miserable life,it's alcohol.When u make a choice to drink it,you also make a choice to have anxiety,be depressed,and have a miserable existence.Make better choices.

joholdbrook

Post by joholdbrook » 03 Dec 2014 21:33

bentnotbrokenwings wrote:Thank you Rags, I appreciate it. It is so tough, I feel horrible today and am just using a little to keep off the shakes. Have only had two lite cans all day, which is a huge improvement for me. Just enough at a time to stop feeling the shaking, panic, horribleness I feel. A couple of sips, and back in the fridge it goes. Am planning a relaxing, quite, and hopefully early evening. And hoping tomorrow I feel better, so I can throw out the rest of the cans and start a true first day.

And hello Joh, I know how you feel about beating yourself up, I have stopped at least fifty times today to kick myself, but each time tell myself just get better, move forward.
Hey there you just have to accept you have a problem and get some help no one really understands it like we all do get some sleep and tomorrow is day 1 of what we can achieve xxx

Hey rags how are you xx
Je suis prest

bentnotbrokenwings

Post by bentnotbrokenwings » 03 Dec 2014 21:39

Thank you Joh :-)
It's not anxiety,it's alcohol.It's not depression,it's alcohol.It's not a miserable life,it's alcohol.When u make a choice to drink it,you also make a choice to have anxiety,be depressed,and have a miserable existence.Make better choices.

jaffa21
Last Drink Date: 12 May 2013

Post by jaffa21 » 04 Dec 2014 13:10

Good afternoon all,

Im not new on this site but haven't posted for over a year. I'm Jaffa and started drinking again 18 months ago after lasting 6 weeks after a community detox. I stupidly thought I could cope with 'Social' drinking! NOPE!! It gradually crept back up and after losing my mum 15 months ago, (I was her sole carer for 4 years) I ended up back to drinking most nights to cope. Now back to square one and waiting for a second detox and despising myself!! Im 35 and a married woman with children. I drink most evenings around 2 bottles of wine.
Kind regards to you all
Jaffa
I am fighting this with all my might.

Doodledash
Last Drink Date: 29 Dec 2014

Post by Doodledash » 04 Dec 2014 13:28

Hi Everyone

This is the first time I have admitted to anyone I have a problem with this evil drug we call alcohol, I have been drinking heavily since 1998 when my wife and I split up it went from drinking every 3 days to 2 then everyday, from 1 bottle of wine to beer and wine to, now, beer wine and vodka!!.

I still function but god only knows how :oops: about 4 weeks ago my partner found me lying on the kitchen floor crying like a baby and having a melt down.
Dr next day and was diagnosed with depression, which I am now on medication for, but even then I was not honest with the doctor re drinking, I kept drinking but found with the medication I was becoming almost suicidal. I now know anti depressants and drink just make you feel worse.

So here I am, for the first time admitting to a huge problem and I have been sober for three days after making the decision to stop, I cant have 1 drink without it becoming a session until I fall asleep on the couch.

I have spoke to Dr again and we discussed cutting down, but I was still not being honest with him about amounts so I have decided to stop, the last 3 days have been bad, sore heads and insomnia but no shakes or anything.

I know I want to stop and know I have never felt so sure, I cant say I will never drink again as this thought is to daunting at the moment, but what I can say is I'm sober today and I hopefully will be sober tomorrow, and take one day at a time.

Stephen

Sorry for prattling on, was only going to introduce myself :o
People who succeed have momentum. The more they succeed, the more they want to succeed, and the more they find a way to succeed Similarly, when someone is failing, the tendency is to get on a downward spiral that can even become a self-fulfilling prophecy

pickles
Last Drink Date: 17 Sep 2012

Post by pickles » 04 Dec 2014 13:56

Hello Doodledash, welcome to BE ;)? .
' Normal ' is just a setting on the washing machine .

lima2
Last Drink Date: 01 Jan 2017

Post by lima2 » 04 Dec 2014 15:28

Hi Stephen :D get down to the 7 day thread, you will find lots of people in the same boat as you. If you stop drinking you might not need the anti depressants as booze acts as a depressant all on its own.
Its always heard at the start but t does get easier and every day is a learning process. Welcome aboard :D

Doodledash
Last Drink Date: 29 Dec 2014

Post by Doodledash » 04 Dec 2014 18:03

Thanks for the welcome

I will get down to the 7 day thread as need all the support I can get.

This is the time when I usually make a nice dinner and the first thing I would do is pour a beer or wine or vodka!!!! so this is the hardest time but I'm determined not to and keep myself busy and not getting bored as I think this is another reason for drinking :x

Onwards and upwards, I was just thinking even 3 days sober that's the most in over a year!!!

Stephen
People who succeed have momentum. The more they succeed, the more they want to succeed, and the more they find a way to succeed Similarly, when someone is failing, the tendency is to get on a downward spiral that can even become a self-fulfilling prophecy

geminigirl
Last Drink Date: 23 Nov 2017

finally plucked up the courage

Post by geminigirl » 04 Dec 2014 18:39

Evening to you all.
After years and years I finally went to the Dr today and confessed all. The tears just flowed. I gave a blood sample for liver tests and see him again next week. He told me I had to stop drinking totally today. My visit was prompted by right sided chest pain under the ribs and breast. I am anxious and scared but pleased with myself that I am getting a plan together which includes brighteye

lima2
Last Drink Date: 01 Jan 2017

Post by lima2 » 04 Dec 2014 19:21

not getting bored
That is something you will have to face I'm afraid Stephen, getting sober does mean getting bored, you get used to it.....I do weight lifting in the evenings which kills some time, you need to come up with a distraction really.
Well done gemini girl...I never worked up the courage to go to the doctors, even when I got the same pain as you describe. It went after a few months not drinking, I rarely get it now. I think going to the doctors is much more sensible though ;)?

geminigirl
Last Drink Date: 23 Nov 2017

Post by geminigirl » 04 Dec 2014 19:26

Thanks for well done I feel I needed that.

Lostworld

Please Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Lostworld » 05 Dec 2014 04:54

Hi, I've been using alcohol as a crutch for years but it's got out of control and my drinking is damaging my relationships as well as making me depressed, I have to stop.

Vertical Man

Post by Vertical Man » 05 Dec 2014 05:12

Hi Lostworld.

This is a great place full of advice, friendship and support. It has helped me tremendously and done the same for others.

Welcome aboard to you and anyone else who is new to BE.

Steve ;)?
"Alcohol is the thief of time"
Steve