Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
CloverCat

Re: New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

Post by CloverCat » 27 Feb 2017 20:49

Hi Banba, how about coming on over & joining us on the 7day thread? We're a lovely supportive bunch & although the group changes as people move up the challenges the support remains the same.

Smiler Grogan
Last Drink Date: 31 Mar 2019

Post by Smiler Grogan » 27 Feb 2017 22:57

A big welcome to all the new people posting today. What a brave and honest move you
have all made in facing up to your issues and reaching out for help and participating on
the forum. I found this place invaluable when I faced up to my demons towards the end
of last year.

So please feel free to share your thoughts, your good times and any bad times. There
will always be someone here to listen and offer advise.

Best Wishes,
Smiler.
Individually we are strong. Together we are invincible.

cjw

Post by cjw » 28 Feb 2017 20:44

hello everyone, i'm 19 years old and started drinking less than a year ago and it's already become a problem. I have mental health problems stemming back to my abusive childhood (alcoholic mother) and I find this is a big problem in my drinking.
I am receiving help for my mh promblems but have not told anyone about how much I drink.
i'm a bing drinker mostly and sometimes spend 2-3 days out of it drinking about 3 litres of hard cider and over a litre of hard liquor. it's taking a massive toll on my mental health, my hangovers are far from regular. I spend them sat in bed having panic atracks all day rather than a headache and vomiting.
im pretty good at hiding it from my dad as he's used to me being quite reserved. I have admitted to him it has become a problem but he doesn't know anywhere near the exstent. I cant bare to tell anyone I know incase they tell him. I don't want him to ever see me in the same way as my 'mother'. I feel I need some more support before I can get there. and I have absolutely 0 friends so no one else to turn to. thank you for reading all that haha

Shadowlad
Last Drink Date: 28 Dec 2012

Post by Shadowlad » 28 Feb 2017 21:59

Hello cjw :)

Welcome to Bright Eye. It is very commendable that you have recognised a problem at a young age. Also, as i'm sure you already know, there could be untold damage being done you your young and still developing organs. Have a good read around and post wherever you feel comfortable. A lot of newcomers seem to be posting on the General Recovery thread and getting to know others there. You are very welcome and will recieve lots of support for your aims. Well done again for confronting your alcohol problem ;)?

I wish you well, nicky xx

A direct link to the General support/chat thread is : http://www.brighteyecounselling.co.uk/a ... ?f=1&t=666 page 588
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

Dennis P. Kimbro

CloverCat

Post by CloverCat » 28 Feb 2017 22:20

Hi cjw, welcome to Bright Eye :)

As Nicky said, well done for being brave enough to recognise & confront your problem with alcohol early. You said you are receiving help for your mental health problems, could you maybe talk to them about the alcohol, I'm guessing it's all related?

Anyway, have a read round, post wherever you feel comfortable & know that you are not alone with this, there is a lot of support out there & lots on here.

QueenBee

Post by QueenBee » 01 Mar 2017 01:08

Hi. My name is Debbie and I'm an alcoholic. Until a year ago I was 6 years sober. Then I gave birth to my son and developed bad PND and I started drinking again. I have at least two bottles of wine a night. I so want to stop drinking for my baby's sake and also because I want to be there when he gets older but no matter how important it is I can't stop. He's 16 months old.ams been drinking non stop since he's been 5 months.

QueenBee

Post by QueenBee » 01 Mar 2017 01:11

:?:
Last edited by QueenBee on 04 Mar 2017 06:22, edited 1 time in total.

Mark.

Post by Mark. » 01 Mar 2017 10:54

Hi Debbie - and welcome to Bright Eye!

I hope you'll find us a friendly bunch, and I am sure you'll find a lot of good advice and support here. Well done for deciding to do something about your drinking. It can be very difficult to break this habit - both physically and mentally. However, it can be done.

Please read around the forum as much as you can, and feel free to post whenever and wherever you like.

You might find the First 7 Days Challenge a good place to start.

I always suggest the following two techniques for helping overcome the urge to drink - you'll find other techniques and advice from other members, but these are the two things that most helped me when I first joined the forum:

1) The Ten Minute Rule: if you find yourself craving a drink, tell yourself that you can have a drink - but not for ten minutes. Almost every time, you'll find that after ten minutes the craving has passed or is a lot less intense. But if the craving's still there, just repeat the ten minute rule... and repeat it... and repeat it. You might be surprised to learn how effective this can be.

2) HALT: when we crave alcohol, aside from the physical addiction, there are normally other reasons causing the cravings:

Hunger: eating can immediately put an end to cravings for alcohol. In fact, often we don't recognise hunger for food and just assume it's a hunger for booze.

Anger: anger can inspire us to want to drink. Instead, if there's nobody else to complain too, log on here and rant away. You'll feel better for it and the cravings will pass.

Loneliness: another reason to drink. So instead, visit or phone a friend, or again log on here. There's usually someone around to chat to.

Tiredness: relaxing by watching television or a DVD, or taking a long bath, or going to bed early are all so much better for us than relaxing with a drink.

Very best wishes, Debbie, and I'll look forward to seeing you around the forum ;)?
Mark
'Have another drink,' said Trillian, 'enjoy yourself.'
'Which?' said Arthur. 'The two are mutually exclusive.'

Jamie*angel

Post by Jamie*angel » 01 Mar 2017 18:31

Hi I'm claire, I am determined to sort it my drinking and looking to get support whilst support others. I lost my son 12 years ago and I drink to block out the pain. I drink when I'm happy too. And when I'm angry. To celebrate, to commiserate.. because I'm bored. Just because. I just drink. I love it. I hate it!
Let's do this.

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad » 01 Mar 2017 18:54

Hello Claire, and a warm welcome to Bright Eye :)

Firstly i'm very sorry to read that you have lost a son, which must be an incredibly difficult loss to endure. <:)> I was struck by how honest you are about your reasons for drinking which was triggered by this tragedy 12 years ago, and in more recent times you have began to drink for any reason at all. This is so familiar for so many of us, we became dependent on alcohol to such a degree that we are constantly thinking of it will drink for any good or bad reason. You sound very motivated and there is plenty of support here. You may want to start with the sobriety challenges, where many people start with a 7 day challenge to stop drinking, or with the 100 day kickstart. The links to these threads are below if you are interested in joining either of these challenges.

The first 7 days : http://www.brighteyecounselling.co.uk/a ... ?f=7&t=368

100 Day Kickstart : http://www.brighteyecounselling.co.uk/a ... ?f=7&t=815

There is lots of support and encouragement from others on these threads from people starting out in their sobriety.

Best wishes and good luck, nicky xx

Dennis P. Kimbro

pepsimaxrock

Post by pepsimaxrock » 01 Mar 2017 19:10

Hi I'm Anne. I thought I was going to join this site then realised I was already a member - from back in 2011 eek. Obviously I was worried about my drinking then and I still am now. I cant bear the thought of giving it up completely. So I want to be sober every weeknight. I expect to be chided for this but its the only way I can think to get a little healthier and stop being quite so dependent

Jamie*angel

Post by Jamie*angel » 01 Mar 2017 19:21

I think you must do what is right for you Anne and maybe you're being quite realistic. I hope you can manage your challenge. I was off work today because I drank yesterday. I need to be sober in the week and focus on my job! It is so hard though. Avoiding pubs and restaurants may help. But alcohol is everywhere hey! Good luck x
Let's do this.

Shadowlad

Post by Shadowlad » 01 Mar 2017 19:23

Hello Anne and a warm welcome back to Bright Eye :)

There are a few threads been created since you were last here that may suit you to post on. It is really good to be so honest about your aims, and there are other members who also choose to try and cut back their drinking rather than stopping altogether.

The threads are :

Personal Goals : http://www.brighteyecounselling.co.uk/a ... ?f=1&t=808

Mostly Sober : http://www.brighteyecounselling.co.uk/a ... ?f=1&t=807

They are both worth checking out, especially Personal Goals where members set their drinking goals for the week ahead and support each other to achieve them ;)?

I wish you well, nicky xx

Dennis P. Kimbro

Mr Turnip

Post by Mr Turnip » 02 Mar 2017 22:39

Hello everyone, I'm new, obviously. I'm a bit pissed now but that's only to be expected. I want to be completely honest, I'm a wreck. So I'll join you and then everything will be fine.
ñ That N, the one with the accent over it at the start of the paragraph was a complete accident. I pressed something by accident. How do you do it, I wamt to know. What do the phones do in - I don't know, Saudi Arabia?
Anyway I'll sober up and jump into your paddling pool of love. Don't judge me, my nipples are private.
I can go ages without drinking and then I go mental. Actually that's not true, the sober periods are quite rare.. I'm drunk now, but I want to stop drinking from now. Right now, no more drinking. There's some wine but I don't want it.
I hope to join you.

Mr Turnip

Post by Mr Turnip » 02 Mar 2017 22:42

The previous post seems a bit cheeky. But I can't go back.

Lush4life
Last Drink Date: 04 Jan 2015

Post by Lush4life » 03 Mar 2017 06:56

Mr Turnip wrote:The previous post seems a bit cheeky. But I can't go back.
Wouldn't worry about it , you are not the first and you won't be the last to post when drinking. Hope you come back today and maybe think about starting a challenge try to get a little sober time under your belt.
I would say if you have been drinking a sustained amount for a long time you may , for safety reasons , need your GP help to do this safely , this is very important, you can taper if no help available but that by it's very nature is difficult on our own but it's much safer than going cold turkey.
Take care ;)?
Sobriety is never owned ; it's rented
And rent is due Every day.

Mr Turnip

Post by Mr Turnip » 03 Mar 2017 08:38

Thanks lush4life. I was very drunk last night which explains the rambling nonsense. Sorry, for that, I do take the subject very seriousy. I have to stop drinking.
But today, I don't know. I'm not working today or tomorrow and there's still some wine left. On and on it goes.
Thanks.

Sandy
Last Drink Date: 21 Aug 2009

Post by Sandy » 03 Mar 2017 08:40

Welcome Mr Turnip
Why not aim for a sober day today? throw the wine away?
stay on here and trawl the boards, the support is amazing!

Lush4life
Last Drink Date: 04 Jan 2015

Post by Lush4life » 03 Mar 2017 09:00

Mr Turnip wrote:Thanks lush4life. I was very drunk last night which explains the rambling nonsense. Sorry, for that, I do take the subject very seriousy. I have to stop drinking.
But today, I don't know. I'm not working today or tomorrow and there's still some wine left. On and on it goes.
Thanks.
Yes I know you're scared to face not drinking so hanging on for dear life seems easier , I've done it myself , but you are posting keep doing that however your day pan's out because someone/anyone could just say something that flicks a switch for you .
I wish you all the best ;)?
Sobriety is never owned ; it's rented
And rent is due Every day.

QueenBee

Post by QueenBee » 04 Mar 2017 06:19

Jjjj of Old wrote:Hi Debbie - and welcome to Bright Eye!

I hope you'll find us a friendly bunch, and I am sure you'll find a lot of good advice and support here. Well done for deciding to do something about your drinking. It can be very difficult to break this habit - both physically and mentally. However, it can be done.

Please read around the forum as much as you can, and feel free to post whenever and wherever you like.

You might find the First 7 Days Challenge a good place to start.

I always suggest the following two techniques for helping overcome the urge to drink - you'll find other techniques and advice from other members, but these are the two things that most helped me when I first joined the forum:

1) The Ten Minute Rule: if you find yourself craving a drink, tell yourself that you can have a drink - but not for ten minutes. Almost every time, you'll find that after ten minutes the craving has passed or is a lot less intense. But if the craving's still there, just repeat the ten minute rule... and repeat it... and repeat it. You might be surprised to learn how effective this can be.

2) HALT: when we crave alcohol, aside from the physical addiction, there are normally other reasons causing the cravings:

Hunger: eating can immediately put an end to cravings for alcohol. In fact, often we don't recognise hunger for food and just assume it's a hunger for booze.

Anger: anger can inspire us to want to drink. Instead, if there's nobody else to complain too, log on here and rant away. You'll feel better for it and the cravings will pass.

Loneliness: another reason to drink. So instead, visit or phone a friend, or again log on here. There's usually someone around to chat to.

Tiredness: relaxing by watching television or a DVD, or taking a long bath, or going to bed early are all so much better for us than relaxing with a drink.

Very best wishes, Debbie, and I'll look forward to seeing you around the forum ;)?
Mark
Thanks Mark. Just looking around the forum for a bit. Will post again soon. Also thank you for your suggestions.