Online Alcohol Therapy |  Do you need professional help? |  Alcoholism & Recovery Articles |  Self Help Resources

New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
rob67
Last Drink Date: 09 Feb 2019

Re: New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

Post by rob67 » 10 Feb 2019 10:51

Thanks for the welcome back guys .. .look forward to catching up with you all on the forum!
I'm a man of few words so might take me a while to get back into posting!
All the best for today.
Rob

Rue

Post by Rue » 10 Feb 2019 11:49

Today is my 2nd day of being sober.
I had two bottles of prosecco on Friday night. Woke up fine the next day (well usual numbness) I guess my body is used to it. Later that day, I had a really bad ache in my eye, the white of the eye then filled with blood. I’m worried the years of alcohol abuse has damaged my health. Had this happened to anyone? I have to stop now, stumbled on this forum and thought I’d give it a go.

Thank you, Rw

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots » 10 Feb 2019 12:57

Rue wrote:
10 Feb 2019 11:49
Today is my 2nd day of being sober.
I had two bottles of prosecco on Friday night. Woke up fine the next day (well usual numbness) I guess my body is used to it. Later that day, I had a really bad ache in my eye, the white of the eye then filled with blood. I’m worried the years of alcohol abuse has damaged my health. Had this happened to anyone? I have to stop now, stumbled on this forum and thought I’d give it a go.

Thank you, Rw
Hello Rue, how great that you stumbled on this site! I've found it a major source of support and information, and nobody judges you. Maybe it would help you to join one of the challenges on here, it's a good way to keep the motivation up?
I have had blood vessels burst in my eye after heavy drinking. I'm no medic, and haven't thought about the causes before, but as alcohol both dilates your blood vessels and raises your blood pressure, I guess they're more susceptible to rupture, as you also bruise more easily for the same reasons.
The body is resilient and good at repairing itself, but it does need your help. One of the things that stopped me was the growing inner knowledge that if I didn't I was going to be looking at very unwelcome and non-negotiable test results in the near future...
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.
Completed 2018 challenge

smh1
Last Drink Date: 15 May 2017

Post by smh1 » 10 Feb 2019 17:37

Welcome Rob and Rue, you have made a great decision in beginning to address your issues even if not for the first time. If we all managed it first time I guess there would be no need for Bright Eye at all! You will get no end of support and advice on all the forums. I wish you both the very best on your journey. Sue (::)

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois » 11 Feb 2019 19:05

Hello, Rob and Rue and other Newbies! :\:

I also stumbled on BE 7 1/2 years ago, the first time I tried quitting! It took another four years and a lot of posting, reading, crying, shaking, and listening to the advice of lots of recovering addicts! I am so glad that I stumbled onto BE, because it saved my life! So, stick around, post, read, get to know everyone, we all have had a journey and you can begin your journey today! Today is a day and there are only 24 hours in which you need to survive! Then when you complete today's journey, begin another! Before you know it, you will be feeling better, finding the good path, and gaining confidence and hope! The best advice is to get on the 7 Day Challenge and then work your sober way through the challenges, you will find friends and it just makes it more manageable!

Rue, an eye hemorrhage can be caused by somewhat violent coughing, puking or crying! Are you taking Coumadin (Warfarin) as a blood thinner? If you are, your dosage might be too high, in which you should see your doctor. Also, if you have a lot of skin bruises, another reason to see your doc, if you are not taking any kind of blood thinner! Just as a precaution!

So, the best wishes to you, hugs, Deanna <:)> <:)> <:)>
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.
Only sobriety will help you achieve these attributes.

Loulou66
First Sober Date: 10 Feb 2019

Post by Loulou66 » 12 Feb 2019 19:50

Hi im Lou. Im new to this but realise that im totally sick of feeling rough at the weekends and onto the next week.... being unable to regulate drinking. I have decided to try quitting altogether. Feeling a bit pathetic atm. Last drink was Sunday night. X

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 12 Feb 2019 20:08

Loulou66 wrote:
12 Feb 2019 19:50
Hi im Lou. Im new to this but realise that im totally sick of feeling rough at the weekends and onto the next week.... being unable to regulate drinking. I have decided to try quitting altogether. Feeling a bit pathetic atm. Last drink was Sunday night. X
Welcome! This is friendly, judgement free place with lots of support and information. Congratualtions on your decision - it's the best one I've ver made, and I celebrate my freedom every day. I read Allen Carr's the Easy Way for women to stop drinking, and although his style can be irritating some of the insights in it really helped shift my mindset in a fundamental way. I also think Catherine Grey's the unexpected joy of being sober is a great one to read. The Easyquit app is a good motivating tool, and maybe you'd like to join one or more of the challenges on here? I knew I wanted to quit for good, but I found working through them really helped keep me focused.
Completed 2018 challenge

Loulou66

Post by Loulou66 » 12 Feb 2019 20:22

Thanks for thw reply. I have also read Catherine grey's book... finished it today. It gave me a lot of strength. I am determined to do this. I am going to continue reading relevant stuff and chat to people online as i find this easier. I have made a lost of all the thongs i want to do which dont involve alcohol. I know friday night will be a trigger point. Argh.

JohnC
First Sober Date: 23 Jul 2016

Post by JohnC » 12 Feb 2019 20:31

Welcome Loulou66, you're amongst friends here and we understand, please post often and stay connected, we're all in this together.
The further away from the last drink we travel the easier it becomes

Loulou66

Post by Loulou66 » 12 Feb 2019 21:15

Thanks very much John for the reply. Im just trying to suss this all out as never used a forum before. I'll certainly be on here a lot and i want my first challenge to be to get through the forthcoming weekend. Hope you are ok . :P

Ruby&Tilly
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 13 Feb 2019 00:11

Hi loulou :\: welcome to BE, there's a weekend challenge thread on sobriety challenges, good luck to many AF days.

Ruby XX
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
352/12 days - sober/drinking (14 April 2018 - 13 April 2019)

Loulou66

Post by Loulou66 » 13 Feb 2019 08:36

:\: thanks so much ruby. Not sure what i do but ill have a look. Thanks for your support. Hope you are doing ok ? Xxx Lou

Ed
Last Drink Date: 11 Nov 2018

Post by Ed » 15 Feb 2019 20:49

Welcome loulou, Rob and rue.

We can only strive to do better. We're all on different stages of the same journey. Good luck and heartfelt welcome. Stick around.
Enough time wasted on this.

Loulou66

Post by Loulou66 » 16 Feb 2019 16:56

(::) thanks Ed for your reply. Good to here fron you and hope you're doing ok. I made it last night. The first AF Friday in years. Woke up refreshed and had a fabulous day. I am so glad i joined this group. Thanks again and i will stick around!
Loulou

Ruby&Tilly
Last Drink Date: 13 Apr 2018

Post by Ruby&Tilly » 16 Feb 2019 17:03

Well done. \:)/
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
352/12 days - sober/drinking (14 April 2018 - 13 April 2019)

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 16 Feb 2019 18:57

Loulou66 wrote:
16 Feb 2019 16:56
(::) thanks Ed for your reply. Good to here fron you and hope you're doing ok. I made it last night. The first AF Friday in years. Woke up refreshed and had a fabulous day. I am so glad i joined this group. Thanks again and i will stick around!
Loulou
Yay you \:)/ \:)/ \:)/
Completed 2018 challenge

Loulou66

Post by Loulou66 » 16 Feb 2019 20:37

\:)/ \:)/ \:)/ so far so good

Rue

Post by Rue » 17 Feb 2019 11:24

Hi. I joined last week, I relapsed within 3 days. I drank so much this weekend, spent all of yesterday on my own drinking wine - 2 bottles, I can’t remember going to bed - I really thought it was a good thing drinking. Of course I regret it now. I’m not in a great place at all. I really want to stop. :( RW

martha

Post by martha » 17 Feb 2019 12:05

Rue wrote:
17 Feb 2019 11:24
Hi. I joined last week, I relapsed within 3 days. I drank so much this weekend, spent all of yesterday on my own drinking wine - 2 bottles, I can’t remember going to bed - I really thought it was a good thing drinking. Of course I regret it now. I’m not in a great place at all. I really want to stop. :( RW
Hi Rue, I'm sorry, that sounds really difficult for you. I don't think any of us here stopped drinking on the first attempt. For most people there are blips along the way. Part of my problem has been drinking home alone at weekends so I really have to make an effort to plan ahead and to be able to predict when I'm likely to be at risk of drinking. If you really want to stop, there are things you could do. Suggestions:
Keep posting on BE regularly, maybe join the 7 day challenge
Increase your knowledge about addiction, alcohol, stopping etc. There are links on BE and there are plenty of books on Amazon. I really like Catherine Grey and others like Allen Carr. See what might appeal to you.
Consider getting outside support. Alcoholics Anonymous or Smart Recovery or your GP.
Whay about family or friends support?
Nothing changes if nothing changes.

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots » 17 Feb 2019 12:30

Rue wrote:
17 Feb 2019 11:24

Hello Rue. I've been there soooo often! <:)> As Martha says, stopping drinking is rarely straightfoward, in part because mostly we have no idea just how addicted we are until we try to stop. You're doing absolutely the right thing by getting back on here - there's a saying that goes something like "you only fail when you stop trying". What's important is the lessons you learn through thought and experience. You may be learning that you can't moderate - did you set out to drink that much, or did it slip out of control? You may be learning that alcohol doesn't deliver the relief it promises - did you hope to feel better through drinking, but end up feeling worse? I've nothing much to add to Martha's advice, other than to perhaps get the Easyquit app. If you'd like to speak to someone knowledgeable but in confidence, you could try the Drinkaware service (assuming you're in the UK), they have a telephone helpline and also an online chat service https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/advice/how ... ompletely/
Meanwhile keep posting!
Last edited by SoberBoots on 17 Feb 2019 16:21, edited 1 time in total.
Completed 2018 challenge