New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Hattrick

Re: New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Hattrick »

Hello \:)/

Seems a good time to get back to complete sobriety, so Day 1 here. Been down this road before, no disasters to relate but hungover after a drinking session with a mate last night, and I don't need that. Not the hangover OR the drinking session.

<:)> peoples

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD »

Hello hat trick. Welcome to Bright Eye. No one needs a hangover, so let's get you on track. A lot of people work their way through the challenges, first 7 days and so on, and there's a very active group on the 100 day challenge. What about jumping in with them for mutual support?
be selfish in your sobriety.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick »

Ah cheers for the welcome DannyD. A challenge sounds like a good plan. Maybe not 100 days though, I'll go for the 7 days to start. Mutual support is good, huh?

Luckychap
Last Drink Date: 04 Feb 2019

Post by Luckychap »

Hi luckycat nice to have you back. X

Melm

Post by Melm »

Hi lucky. Your story resonates with me regarding communication fails. When we drink we fail to communicate effectively. Or at least I do.
I am glad you are back and wish you the best. <3

DannyD
Last Drink Date: 0- 0-1973
First Sober Date: 09 Jan 2020

Post by DannyD »

Hattrick wrote:
27 Jun 2020 19:26
Ah cheers for the welcome DannyD. A challenge sounds like a good plan. Maybe not 100 days though, I'll go for the 7 days to start. Mutual support is good, huh?
Mutual support is excellent. Good plan
be selfish in your sobriety.

Chirpy
Last Drink Date: 16 May 2020

Post by Chirpy »

Hi newbies!
Great to see you and everyday is a new day!
We have an awesome little huddle happening on 100 days to anyone who wants to join us.
Hope everyone is having a bright Sunday morning
Chirpy
She could never go back and make some of the details pretty. All she could do is move forward and make the whole beautiful- Terri St.Cloud

LuckyCat

Post by LuckyCat »

Thanks for the welcome back SoberBoots, Newt and LuckyChap! I remember you all too <:)>

Melm, yep definitely alcohol is terrible for communication! a) I speak/text (tooooo much) before thinking and b) I then don't remember it leading to more problems (w) I'm massively insecure and scared about romantic relationships though, so use drinking as a relaxant and confidence booster to make me feel 'okay' in it. Which of course is an extremely short-term fix!

Wishing you and all the other new members the best of luck xxx
AF 17 days: 26/2/19 - 15/3/19
AF 34 days 4/6/19 - 7/7/19
AF 13/7/19 - not very long after :(

AF 2020 - 3/6/20 - 8/7/20 = 35 days, a new record if only by one day ;)

Newt
Last Drink Date: 10 Aug 2014

Post by Newt »

Alcohol does cause anxiety Lucky there's no doubting that, I remember the burying my head in the sand days when it took a can or two just to calm me down enough to open a few letters and face the reality that bills were something that didn't go away when you ignored them :roll:

If anxiety wasn't already an underlying issue it does go away once we have stopped drinking and gained some distance from our drinking days, it's safe to say that even a little brash confidence comes back ;)?

So in a nutshell alcohol is a very temporary, quick but fake antidote to the problems it causes in the first place, abstinence is a slow but long time cure with even more mental and physical health benefits thrown in as a bonus, abstinence is a blumming bargain and we all like those :D

Wilson
Last Drink Date: 24 Nov 2019

Post by Wilson »

Agree anxiety does go back to normal levels after abstaining.
Best part of not drinking I say!
Like normal stuff 👍😎

Newt

Post by Newt »

I have noticed a sharp increase in your confidence and overall "stability" since you managed a long sober spell Wils, not that I'm scrutinising or monitoring you, it just sticks out like bulldog's bollocks mate ;)?

Newt

Post by Newt »

Anyway chaps, morning walk time with my music player grooving Zita Swoon :\:

Newt

Post by Newt »

Ps, Mark, I managed to get swoon in a sentence \:)/

Cisco

Post by Cisco »

Hello! :\:

I'm new here on today my Day one.

I've struggled with alcohol for many years, started when I was in middle school drinking for the courage to talk to girls at parties, dances. It stayed with me as my career stress relief (or so I thought! ha!)

I don't drink every day, usually twice a week. When I do I drink until I essential am passed out (or asleep like I used to try to convince myself).

After I came across 'Bright Eye' and the testimonials I knew that this was the place I was meant to be.

Kind regards,

Cisco

Icurus

Post by Icurus »

Hi, well I'm Ben and I'm really in trouble with drink again...I'm 44 and been drinking for 30 years already.
I'm sick of feeling so rough, I shake violently every morning and feel constantly sick unless I have a drink.
Mentally I want nothing more than do be sober but physically my body wont let me. Need help, thanks to all

Rebecca
Last Drink Date: 24 May 2020

Post by Rebecca »

Welcome Cisco and Ben. <:)>
Go the extra mile, it’s never crowded.

Chirpy
Last Drink Date: 16 May 2020

Post by Chirpy »

welcome Cisco and Ben
Great to see you
Chirpy
She could never go back and make some of the details pretty. All she could do is move forward and make the whole beautiful- Terri St.Cloud

KraftyKat
Last Drink Date: 28 Jun 2020

Post by KraftyKat »

Hi. I was here about 10 years ago and it was a huge help to me. Actually was AF for a year but have gradually gone back to old ways and it's been a lot worse during lockdown.
I suffer from anxiety depression which doesn't help but I know I feel better when I control my drinking or abstain as the guilt isn't there.
I don't know if any of the people I knew years ago are still in site but I'm looking forward to meeting you all.
One reason I don't drink is that I want to know when I am having a good time.
Nancy Astor

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

Welcome back KraftyKat. I'm sure you know your way around the forum so jump in and good luck to you ;)?
#5 on the 2020 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Welcome back from me too, KK ;)?

You are definitely right that abstaining helps alleviate anxiety depression. I've always found that alcohol would heighten my anxiety. The temptation was always to drink again and blot it out - but that just leads to needing booze far too regularly. That's a vicious circle that can be broken when we stop drinking.

You might find the first few days a bit daunting at times, so stick around here as much as possible for support. You did a year sober before - you can do it again ;)?
"There is no 'us' and 'them'; it's an illusion. We are all human beings, and we all have a responsibilty to support one another." Roger Waters