New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Luckychap
Last Drink Date: 04 Feb 2019

Re: New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Luckychap »

Hey Furry. That's the way to do it. Great stuff on day 3. Keep on keeping on (::)

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

Luckychap wrote:
03 Feb 2021 20:06
Tomorrow it's 2 years since my last drink.
Brilliant LC (::) There's cake on the Notice Board <:)>
#5 on the 2021 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Luckychap
Last Drink Date: 04 Feb 2019

Post by Luckychap »

Aww thanks xx

dill

Post by dill »

Here for 1st time. Struggling with all life brings right now. Recently lost my father after caring for him for more years than I care to remember. Alcohol helped me get through the caring days, now its time to move on I want to get it under control though dealing with bereavement isn’t helping the cause.

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan »

Hello Dill, and welcome to the forum :-)

Sorry to hear about the tough times, and the bereavement you’ve been through <:)>

I went through similar while caring for a parent, and it was during those years that drink became a real problem for me, as I relied on it for some relief. I had an offer of bereavement counselling, and I regret not taking it - struggling on instead by myself probably made the grieving process harder, especially with the effects of drinking to contend with.

It will take a little time fro find your feet, but there is hope as you enter this new phase of life. Take a good look around the forum, and maybe research local support and counselling services when you feel ready - or even before you feel ready!

Sending you good wishes, and I hope to see you around :)
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2021 Challenge

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Hi Dill. I can add very little to what Trojan has said, other than to add another word of welcome.

Do read around and join in as much as possible.

Best wishes from me too ;)?
Mark
"I once thought that growing up *meant* smoking and drinking. It looked so good, but I don't want to die from it."
~ Marianne Faithfull

221b for the 2021 Challenge

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats »

Spats q here....again. I’ve been on and off this forum so many times now and not sure what/where to do/go anymore. I just need help please. It’s quiet here though but worth a try

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Welcome back, Spats ;)? <:)>

Stay on the forum and try to make a point of chatting every day - maybe on First 7 Days, for example?

Apologies if I've forgotten but have you also looked into finding local support/groups? Might be worth a go? And also having a chat with your GP, if possible and if you feel it's necessary?

But whatever else, stick with us and keep trying ;)? <:)>
"I once thought that growing up *meant* smoking and drinking. It looked so good, but I don't want to die from it."
~ Marianne Faithfull

Spats
Last Drink Date: 24 Dec 2018
First Sober Date: 25 Dec 2018

Post by Spats »

Thank you Mark. I’ve just left a message with a local group that I used in the past so hopefully they’ll get back to me. I think my GP would probably put me in touch with them too. And yes I’ll try the 7 day challenge

Trojan
Last Drink Date: 09 Jun 2013

Post by Trojan »

Spats, sorry to hear that things are tough <:)>

If you've been drinking a lot, then try to slow down or taper your intake so that you don't get severe withdrawal.

Your GP might be a good starting point for assistance with a medical detox. Mine was a big help, and knowing that I was detoxing safely allowed me to be determined in not slipping back. At least eventually - I went through this cycle several times.

Sit tight and stay close to the forum if it helps, and maybe aim to reach out tomorrow when places are open again. Take care.
Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.
#99 on the 2021 Challenge

Praejw

Post by Praejw »

Hi everyone.

I first came here Jan 2020 and didn't have a lot to say, then I found I couldn't get back onto this forum! Strangely I can now so I'm reintroducing myself!

I've found it OK during lock down to be fair, I've managed to curb my alcoholism and am today 328 days sober. I've done this with the help of distraction and support on social media platforms but I'll be honest and admit it was a slog at times. I didn't cut down, I just stopped. I'd gone from passing out after 2 bottles of wine to literally nothing, not a single drop has passed my lips since 30/03/2020.
I'm happy with my new sober life, no pains in the mornings, no brain fog, no mood swings but its getting to be a lonely road for me. I don't admit my drinking outloud and obviously covid has prevented any kind of group attendance. I feel now that I need to be around "people like me" who just get it.

My main reason for finding myself here again is that we're getting a sense of normality back soon - As in going out etc - and I'm not quite sure I'm ready for that. I feel the pressure of expectation and conformance weighing down already. My normal before covid was getting wasted most nights so reinstating normality is absolutely not what I want! This is a side of sobriety I haven't had chance to deal with and I'm at a point where Im thinking more about having a drink than I am about being sober.

I think I might just potter around on here and read up on others' stories and maybe try to join in this time. Might help me with perspective.

Thanks for reading my post.
Praejw xx

Scottie
First Sober Date: 14 May 2021

Post by Scottie »

Trina
Last Drink Date: 09 Sep 2020

Post by Trina »

Hi praejw,

Wow, congratulations on your 328 days! That is amazing. I'm sure you're not the only one who has qualms about what life will be like as we return to "normal". In a way, covid has made it easier to stay sober, as going out with friends hasn't been an option. Now that those social things are on the horizon, it is really a great idea to get support and talk to others about how to deal with any temptations.

I am not nearly as long sober as you (just 5+ months), but am also finding that I think about drinking more than I did during the earlier days. I think the novelty of being sober is wearing off, and the "just one" thoughts are creeping in. I find it very helpful to come on BE every day, sometimes to post and sometimes just to read around the threads. It reminds me why I am here and the importance of staying on this road.

Anyway, welcome. I hope to see you around.

Trina
Just because the monkey is off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town -- George Carlin

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Welcome from me too, Praejw! And congrats on reaching 328 days, that's excellent! (::)

As Trina says, you're not alone in wondering how easy it will be to adjust to the return of more 'normal' times, so do stick around and I hope that the forum does help with your perspective ;)?

Well done on getting to five months, Trina! \:)/ (::)

Hope you're ok, Scottie? <:)>
~ Marianne Faithfull

Praejw

Post by Praejw »

Thank you for the warm welcome Trina and Mark - well done on 5 months, that's incredible (::)

Sobriety does seem like a novelty and yes the wine witch is usually our best mate but tbh I've found it extremely useful to imagine myself having the one - it isn't a pretty site and it reminds me why I'm doing this and how far I've come.

I'll certainly have a look on here and maybe post a few anxious woes from time to time; I really think it will help.
;)?

Praejw xx

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Praejw wrote:
22 Feb 2021 18:17
I've found it extremely useful to imagine myself having the one - it isn't a pretty site and it reminds me why I'm doing this and how far I've come.
Great idea, Praejw - nice one! ;)?
Praejw wrote:
22 Feb 2021 18:17
I'll certainly have a look on here and maybe post a few anxious woes from time to time; I really think it will help.
Yes, I hope so too :)
~ Marianne Faithfull

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

Hi all,

Am trying to sort myself out so thought I would sign up to see if it helps!

Have been drinking too much for too long.

Feel very anxious. No idea if I'm anxious because I drink too much, or I drink too much because I am anxious.

Did not have anything yesterday, which may or may not have been a good idea! So am fairly anxious and unable to eat/drink anything and hyperventilating a bit.

Am seeking some local help but do't have a first chat until Monday.

Just need to get a handle on things as I would just like to feel normal again! Hopefully I can get there.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Welcome Guy! :)
Guybrush wrote:
23 Feb 2021 13:32
Feel very anxious. No idea if I'm anxious because I drink too much, or I drink too much because I am anxious.
That's a conundrum for a lot of us, I think! A vicious circle, perhaps. What I do know is that alcohol really does only increase anxiety, often unfocussed anxiety (what they call "hangxiety" - the anxiousness you get while hungover).

Also, if there are specific issues that are making you anxious, they really are better handled while sober.

So, giving up or even just cutting down is a really good idea!

Please read around the forum and join in as much as you can, wherever you wish, and ask all the questions you need to. There's loads of friendly support and advice here from a lot of members who are either in the same boat or have been there.

Very best wishes and I'll look forward to seeing you around ;)?
Mark
~ Marianne Faithfull

KraftyKat
Last Drink Date: 19 Feb 2021

Post by KraftyKat »

Welcome Guybrush :\:
This is a great place to start - lots of friendly people. Hope to see you on the first seven days. x

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots »

Hello Guybrush, welcome! I used to be superanxious too. I'm amazed how much of it was caused by the alcohol, both directly as a withdrawal effect, and indirectly becasue of things I'd done/not done while drinking. You're absolutely doing the right thing - don't expect instant results, as things that take a long time to build up can also take a long time to unpick, but both your physical and mental health will greatly improve without alcohol in the mix.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.