New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Re: New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

Post by SoberBoots »

Welcome Andy! You've come to the right place to explore your relationship with alcohol, lots of information and support here.
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

xpander0201

Post by xpander0201 »

Hello everyone,

I do hope I am posting in the right place. Feel free to boot me out if I'm not! :lol2:

I'm not sure what to say about myself, as I'm finding this whole thing quite daunting and scary. I'm actually admitting that I'm drinking too much and I'm no longer in a position to control it.

I would really love to stop, but don't have the first clue to go about it. Do I just stop? Do I try to cut down? I'm thinking I just need to go for it and try to stop and see what happens, although that scares the life out of me!!

I guess I just wanted to post on here, so that I have taken the first step in admitting I have a problem and I am going to hold myself accountable.

Thank you to any of you that have read this and I look forward to embarking on this journey with as many of you as possible.

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

Hi and welcome to BE Xpander. It's tough admitting to a drink problem so well done ;)?
xpander0201 wrote:
12 Mar 2021 20:11
I would really love to stop, but don't have the first clue to go about it. Do I just stop? Do I try to cut down? I'm thinking I just need to go for it and try to stop and see what happens, although that scares the life out of me!!
Just stopping can be fine for most people, but it can also be dangerous for some. It depends on how much you have been drinking, for how long etc. Perhaps have a read of this first before you decide:-

https://www.brighteyecounselling.co.uk/ ... ?f=4&t=489

If you think it would be quite safe to go ahead and stop, then you might like to join others doing the same on The First 7 Day Challenge. You'll find it here:-

https://www.brighteyecounselling.co.uk/ ... 54#p942554

There are lots of other threads though so have a good look round and post wherever you like. We are a friendly lot. Shout out if you need help and somebody will usually come to the rescue.

Good luck. TC <:)>
#5 on the 2021 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots »

Good for you Xpander!

Welcome to BE, which is fantastic source of information and support. Read all round the site - joining a challenge such as the 7 day one is a good place to start as you'll be with others going through the same thing. The Road to Abstinence is a great read for reflective and inspiring posts.

My top tips are to take vitamin supplements (B1, calcium, and magnesium) as these three are essential, and are depleted by alcohol consumption. They'll support your recovery. I also recommend a couple of books - Allen Carr's Easy Way, which although his style can be irritating really helped me reframe my attitude to alcohol, and made stopping drinking very much less of a battle than it might have been. Also Catherine Grey's the Unexpected Joys of Being Sober, which is a really enjoyable and inspiring read. The important thing is to start seeing sobriety for what it is - the best possible gift you can give yourself.

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

Hey again peoples!

I may have been quiet but am still around.

I have been (bar 1 day) keeping to my around 15 units levling plan. (yes sounds high to me too! but no point overthinking!).

Have also been drinking around 800 mils of rehydrating stuff a day (the disovling tablets), which has stopped my really bad morning issues and have (not that anyone needs ro know I guess) been going to the toilet each day again!

Even getting towards eating more (dry throat really caused issues, yes mostly increased by anxiety I guess but still).

I chose a random audiobook and bought it and have been listening. Has some interesting points and seems helpful. I doubt i would ever 100% agree with any "plan" but thats just me. I want things my way. At least it's nto one that says do this without explanation, I don't get on with those!

Have been in contact with the local help, having the first real chat next week. On the phone for now but such is. Prefer someone who has had some issues themselves to talk to (it does not have to be this issue, just something, it helps, but even if not I am open, though the hardest thing which I have had before is to say sorry, it is not workign with this person, can I try another, I'm sure they are great and it's just me but if I don't see it...)

Anyway, there are my random musings tonight.

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots »

Hello Guybrush, good to hear from you. I expect the support service will suggest that you reduce gradually down, an approach which works really well for some. I wasn't able to do it myself - too addicted, too all-or-nothing - but I've known others achieve long term sobriety this way. Good luck anyway, and well done for finding the courage to tackle this. Taking thos efirst steps isn't easy.

squirrel

Post by squirrel »

Hi Guybrush. It sounds like you have a few positive ideas yourself - and that's what you need because self motivation is the only way forward. And this site is not a magic wand but it is a real support to cut down - and for lots of people to stop.

Welcome Xpander. Posting is a first important step because asking for help means you really want to help yourself - very positive move.

All sites are unusually quiet at the moment - perhaps due to the covid situ. But people will be back and there will be more conversations soon. In the meantime read around - there's years of good advice across the boards and some of it will resonate with you both and help I'm sure.

sambo

Post by sambo »

Hi

Have had a problem with alcohol for quite some time now, around 14-15yrs I'm 39, drinking every night for at least the last 10yrs and don't drink wine or beer, just vodka usually a half ltr but more often than not even more than that.

I no I have to stop and I do feel I am ready to stop, I've had anxiety problems for a long time and am really noticing recently just how much of my anxiety is caused by my alcohol abuse, and just how many problems alcohol causes in my life. I recently stopped for 11nights I get that's not much but was the longest for years and years for me, don't really have much support so thought I'd try join a site like this.

Thanks.

Tai
Last Drink Date: 30 Oct 2010

Post by Tai »

Hi Sambo, welcome to BrighteEye, it’s great that you’re here trying to make a change. I think stopping for 11 nights is actually pretty strong evidence that you have it in you to stop and stay stopped, if that’s what you want to do. I found my anxiety levels improved a lot when I stopped drinking. Not at first maybe, but after a time ... my sleep improved, my health, and my wellbeing too. Basically a win win win scenario.

Just a note of caution. Half a litre of vodka s around 20 units, so stopping suddenly does come with medical risks that you’d be wise to talk through with your GP. They can offer meds to help with withdrawal so that you can stay safe.

BrightEye was a game changer for me. I came here not really knowing what was going on with my drinking ... just knowing that it’d got way out of hand and I needed some help to change things. I grabbed all the support here and elsewhere to make those changes and I’m so glad I did. My life is better without booze in it that’s for sure.

Have a good read around the threads and jump in wherever looks good Sambo. Maybe head over to the 7 day thread https://www.brighteyecounselling.co.uk ... 26#p943026where you’ll find like minded people working on staying sober for a week ... a solid start for ongoing change.

Well done for reaching out, I know it’s not easy <:)>
A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more than much knowledge that is idle.
Khalil Gibran

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Welcome, Sambo, from me too. I also think that giving up for 11 days is a great achievement in itself and a good indication that you can certainly achieve even more.

I cannot add anything to Tai's superb sdvice, so please read that, take a good look around the forum, and join in wherever and whenever you want ;)?

Very best wishes,
Mark
"I once thought that growing up *meant* smoking and drinking. It looked so good, but I don't want to die from it."
~ Marianne Faithfull

221b for the 2021 Challenge

Sueisback

Post by Sueisback »

HI I'm sue back again, embarrassing :roll:

Luna_
Last Drink Date: 18 Apr 2019

Post by Luna_ »

Welcome from me too, Sambo. Here is a good place to be.

Sue - welcome back. It's far from embarrassing. It takes strength to get back on the road again. Come back, find your old (or new) home threads - and get yourself back in the community <:)>
I still have Faith, but right now I'm reaching for the moon.

SoberBoots

Post by SoberBoots »

Sueisback wrote:
24 Mar 2021 12:34
HI I'm sue back again, embarrassing :roll:
Not embarrassing at all. Something to be proud of, it takes guts to reach out <:)>

Nikki8383

Post by Nikki8383 »

Hi I'm Nikki, I got advised of this site and having alot of problems with drinking and desperately need to quit... Im having a few problems replying back to people can someone help me out on how to reply, I'm sorry I never wrote much, iv been drinking quite alot from iv been 18 I'm now 37 it's got alot worse over the past 5 years, I drink over 200 units a week and it has power over me and my life I need to have it from the moment I wake up I struggle to keep food down and I feel ill.. I it's effecting my marriage and my life and any advise would be welcomed I need to stop
Last edited by Nikki8383 on 26 Mar 2021 19:00, edited 1 time in total.

Topcat
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2011

Post by Topcat »

Hi Nikki and welcome to BE. You haven't said much about yourself or how much you have been regularly drinking. If you have been drinking a large amount, it might be better to taper rather than stopping suddenly.

Feel free to post wherever you wish. We are a friendly lot. TCxx
#5 on the 2021 Challenge
When life kicks sand in your face, build a castle.

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

Nikki8383 wrote:
26 Mar 2021 17:54
Hi I'm Nikki, I got advised of this site and having alot of problems with drinking and desperately need to quit
Heyo Nikki.

This seems a good place. feel free to offload you issues here and just get good advice. I am cutting down myself. I am planning a month off and then a see what I feel. But any way is a good way when you know you are doing it wrong.

Good luck.

Nikki8383

Post by Nikki8383 »

Thankyou, I'm having problems with posting and stuff, and I'm not in a good way and it scares me

Nikki8383

Post by Nikki8383 »

I just really hate myself at the moment and getting off the drink is vital

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Nikki8383 wrote:
26 Mar 2021 19:06
I just really hate myself at the moment and getting off the drink is vital
You're in the right place, Nikki ;)? <:)> Posting here can feel scary at first, but everyone is really friendly and willing to help!
"I once thought that growing up *meant* smoking and drinking. It looked so good, but I don't want to die from it."
~ Marianne Faithfull

221b for the 2021 Challenge

Nikki8383

Post by Nikki8383 »

Thankyou mark, I'm just really struggling atm