New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

New Members thread, SOS thread, Daily chat and Support, Cutting Down, Abstinence and more.
Iroquois

Re: New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here

Post by Iroquois »

Welcome Jules,

Was it a New Year's decision to quit drinking? Stick to it, even if you waiver or even have a relapse! Once you have made the decision to quit drinking alcohol, it sticks with you until you finally accomplish sobriety.

Get some good food in, some treats, feed your shaky body and mind and it will heal pretty quickly.

I would guess that you feel pretty anxious right now and that might be why you feel the need to pee a lot. Try to find distractions to calm you down, reading, watching TV, take up something you loved to do as a kid!

Most of all, stick around and post your feelings, we will help as best we can!

Best wishes, Deanna <:)> <:)> <:)>
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.
Only sobriety will help you achieve these attributes.

Icabodis

Post by Icabodis »

Hey, I'm new to this and rubbish at tech, so here goes! Nursing a painful bruise on my chest, grazed foot and bruising down my arm sustained (I have no idea how) on Friday night, I'm anxious and have had enough.
Work tomorrow and am panicky as was random on the group chat. Two days sober. :roll:

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Icabodis wrote:
26 Jan 2020 20:56
Hey, I'm new to this and rubbish at tech, so here goes! Nursing a painful bruise on my chest, grazed foot and bruising down my arm sustained (I have no idea how) on Friday night, I'm anxious and have had enough.
Work tomorrow and am panicky as was random on the group chat. Two days sober. :roll:
Welcome, Icabodis!

Sorry to hear about the injuries, but well done on reaching day 2.

Please have a read around the forum and join in wherever and whenever you wish. Most people find that the more they participate, the more they benefit. You are in very good, supportive company here!

Many new members like to jump into the First 7 Days sobriety challenge, but there's an amazing range of threads covering many subjects.

Very best wishes, and I'll look forward to seeing you around,
Mark
"There is no 'us' and 'them'; it's an illusion. We are all human beings, and we all have a responsibilty to support one another." Roger Waters

221b for the 2021 Challenge

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois »

Be of good faith, Icabodis, you can recover! You can do this!

Sounds like you had a brush with a very serious accident! Those are often the reasons we decide to give up alcohol!

Anxiety is always present with cessation of alcohol, but it should pass in 7 to 10 days along with the other symptoms of withdrawal.

Stay on BE and post and read, as there are many helpful articles and posts from fellow drinkers and ex-drinkers.

Get in some good food and some distractions, and treat yourself with great care and gentleness! Don't beat yourself up, but give yourself a break!

Welcome and best wishes, Deanna <:)> <:)> <:)>
There isn't enough alcohol in the world to make you happier, calmer, prettier, more clever or less angry.

smh1
Last Drink Date: 15 May 2017

Post by smh1 »

Icabodis wrote:
26 Jan 2020 20:56

Hi Icabodis and welcome to BE> Well done on two days, that is a brilliant start. You have seen the problems that booze causes, I dread to think of the chats and emails I sent in my drunken days. Cracked ribs, severely strained wrist, etc couldn't remember how but just knew it was the booze! If your group chat was work related then I hope you can get it sorted tomorrow. If challenged maybe a sincere apology will do, but use this as a lesson, things won't get better while you carry on drinking but these sorts of incidents will just get worse. Try looking around the forum and see a thread you feel comfortable with, most of us start on the 7 day challenge, but there are many more. I wish you all the best. Take care. Sue :)
Keep on keeping on. It might be your last chance. :)

smh1
Last Drink Date: 15 May 2017

Post by smh1 »

Sorry Jjj mine crossed with yours. (w)
Keep on keeping on. It might be your last chance. :)

Icabodis

Post by Icabodis »

That was really fast! Thank you so much. This forum has been helpful already. Thank you. ;)?

martha

Post by martha »

Welcome! :\:
Waiting for bunnies to appear in the fields.

Alizarin

Post by Alizarin »

HI,
I'm Ali. Day two and struggling so joined for some accountability. Just your garden variety alcoholic getting over another relapse. I need to make this one stick so glad to be here and get to know you all.
Thank you.
#16 on the 2021 Challenge
Sobriety is never owned. It's rented and the rent is due everyday.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

No worries, Sue :lol: <:)> You and Deanna's replies are great ;)?

Now I'm crossing with Icabodis and Martha! (w)

I'm glad you're already finding it useful, Icabodis. Bright Eye has been a total life-saver/changer for me :D
Alizarin wrote:
26 Jan 2020 21:13
HI,
I'm Ali. Day two and struggling so joined for some accountability. Just your garden variety alcoholic getting over another relapse. I need to make this one stick so glad to be here and get to know you all.
Thank you.
Welcome too, Alizarin! Please read around and join in wherever and whenever you wish. As you can see from the replies above, we're a friendly lot who have a lot of similar experiences to share and support to share ;)?
"There is no 'us' and 'them'; it's an illusion. We are all human beings, and we all have a responsibilty to support one another." Roger Waters

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois »

Hi Ali,

Welcome to BE, have a look around and post wherever you feel comfortable. Start with the 7 Day Challenge, many of us started there and it is a good way to find fellow folks in recovery.

I think we all relapsed more than once until we finally got it right. So, keep trying, no matter how many times it takes. Hopefully, this will be your final attempt!

Get in some good food and some distractions to help you along. When I quit for the final time, I really did a regimented schedule, planning what I would do from morning to night. Like being in boot camp, in a way, if you make up your mind and stick to your plan, it will work!

Stay here on BE and post away, that is how so many of us recovered!

Best wishes, Deanna <:)> <:)> <:)>

Icabodis

Post by Icabodis »

Something back to you. I just joined yesterday and Mark, Deanna and Sue were so quick to reply to my plea for help. I didn't manage a sober day today; I was just too anxious. Well, I didn't get my back to work interview (I was off sick Tuesday and Wednesday last week).
I needed this to get back to normal at work and be on an even keel with the OH.
I'm wearing a green friendship bracelet she gave me last night. Guilt.
I did however, manage to make it good with my two most trusted work colleagues.
Nothing awful tonight, but still hit Morrison's for the Vodka 35cl. (Only £5.75!) Somehow, I feel that I've achieved something after today. Last Friday night I was on a drip in hospital, found in a field just by my home by dogwalkers. No joke. Today, I'm making inroads and whilst I'm still right back in 'old' habits, I kinda knew today was a big one.
Joining this was still the right thing to do. If I hadn't done this I swear I wouldn't have had the courage or conviction to go to work today. I did and it kinda paid off. I have two more hurdles to overcome to put Friday's debacle behind me. That means heading in to work, but the worse of it is over.
When these are achieved, I intend to do the 7 day.
Mixed feelings, mostly relief, but I sorted most of the sh*# today, sober. Still early days...I've still the volcano in my belly and posting drunk. Im a teacher and wonder if other members teach? Not sure.
Thanks BE for last night. I checked you regularly today for reassurance, but I think I'm in a better place. Like I said, still a bit fuzzy, warm and pissed after tonight's little journey home, but I hope these paranoid days are numbered.
Thanks,
Jay.

Icabodis

Post by Icabodis »

I sound so happy. I'm not.

SoberBoots
Last Drink Date: 08 May 2017

Post by SoberBoots »

Icabodis wrote:
27 Jan 2020 22:10
I sound so happy. I'm not.
Hi Icabodis.

Just wanted to say I've read your posts. I remember the anxiety so well, and the knowing I needed to stop drinking but not feeling able to, even though I could see the damage. We all have different paths to recovery - I was helped enormously by finding BE, and I hope you will be too. Another keystone for me was reading Allen Carr's Easy Way books - something about them changed my mindset. It might be worth giving this approach a go.

Have you seen your GP? You might be prescribed meds to help you cope with withdrawal and with the anxiety produced by it and by all the things you have to tackle. It's best to quit, not put it off until some milestone is reached, but you may need some medical support.

Big <:)>
The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Jay. Can't add much to SB's post.

Just wanted to say that I read your post and I completely get where you are coming from. Why? Because I've been there and more than once. You are not alone. We are all struggling with this addiction. Try to be kind to yourself. Take care.
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. Mark Twain.

Mark.

Post by Mark. »

Icabodis wrote:
27 Jan 2020 21:46
I'm wearing a green friendship bracelet she gave me last night. Guilt.
Hi again, Jay. That rang a rather dark bell of recognition for me - that old guilt for letting down a loved one and then trying to regain their trust.

Don't worry too much about drinking tonight. Sometimes it's safer to cut down over a course of days rather than just stop. However, do try to remember how you felt tonight. Drink never makes us happy when we know we're overdoing it or doing it for the wrong reasons.

Sobriety brings a certain kind of happiness - it doesn't solve all our problems but it does help us deal with them, and it solves the guilt thing. It relieves stress too because we no longer have to worry about when or where we can next have a drink or how much money we're wasting on it.

Also have a think about Cowboy and SoberBoots' excellent advice ;)?

It may not feel like it now, but there's so much hope for you now that you're taking the first steps towards dealing with your drinking. Believe me, everyone here has been there too.

Well done for taking these steps. Keep posting, keep fighting, and I hope things feel brighter by the end of tomorrow <:)>

Mark

Iroquois

Post by Iroquois »

Icabodis!

Glad you came back and found comfort here on BE! You sound like you are really ready to tackle this thing! Eventually, you will learn to calm down without alcohol, it really does happen after a spell of not drinking, getting healthier and finding new ways to deal with stress.

I don't know how many times I got wasted and was unsteady on my feet and then fell! I would wake up with bruises all over to go along with my hangover and self disgust. My worst injury was falling and fracturing my pelvis so that I had to stay in bed pretty much for 12 weeks in just agonizing pain! Did I stop drinking? Oh for a while, but once I was up and able to get around with my walker, off to the liquor store I went to get my wine again! Finally, after a very nice rehab situation, I began quitting, and stayed AF except for a few binges until I finally quit for good! Sometimes it takes some relapses and recoveries, but risking more bouts of drinking can also be dangerous.

How many times did all of us cheat the Grim Reaper? It is something to think about, getting sober is the best way to go, really. You will come to that conclusion after a period of abstinence, at first is so hard, but it does get better! It really does!

Best wishes to all making that decision!

Deanna <:)> <:)> <:)>

xxxkateyxxx
Last Drink Date: 20 Apr 2020

Post by xxxkateyxxx »

Hi Icabodis
I'm really glad you are here.
I can't offer anymore than the great advice that you've already had. I just wanted to say that your post has really stayed with me. I have a long scar across my forehead as a reminder of a particular bad night. I still don't recall getting it to this day I just came around in hospital.
Please keep reading and posting, there are some amazing threads and wonderful people who get it.
Take care Of yourself.
Kate.

Icabodis

Post by Icabodis »

Wow, you're all great.
Really, I went to work today and couldn't look at this all day thinking how pretentious I must have come across last night. Seriously, I thought everyone would go he's' flooding' this and just spilling his thoughts for attention.
Being new to BE and all, I was convinced someone would have a go at me for using the word 'pissed,' too! and maybe remove me 😬
How lovely this is not the case!
Went to work and stood up to that person whose comments last week prompted me to lose my head and give myself to hell last week.
I'm nowhere near, but oh, Kate, yes, the scars...😕 Also, the shock of seeing my old dad at the side of my trolley, holding hands with me 😓. No. Meantime, have a good night you lovely people. Stay strong. I ain't giving up.
Jay x

Icabodis

Post by Icabodis »

Also, Mark, you're right. I went two days sober this weekend and the release from the stress that keeping those future secrets from is immeasurable. I know, thanks. 🤘